Ways to live the style

Jerry B.

In these few months I've been in this community, I had the chance to see how much the MV cult is alive, and I'm even more surprised to see how many young boys and girls are true fanatics about it. And many of them weren't even born at the time the show was on air. I think this is just a great thing.So many young people interested in the 80s vibe, good old music, vintage synthesizers, and fashion of course. I saw pictures of magenta neon in their homes, palms, and sometimes an impressive collection of 80s clothes, watches, (and cars! ) etc. Not to mention the collectibles, in some cases, very rare stuff. Just great. You know, I'm not that young anymore and is a breeze for me to see that not all the guys in their 20s or 30s are mad for Justin Bieber, rap etc.I also saw that everyone has "his" or "her" personal way to live that style here. It would be interesting, I guess, to know how you mates keep it alive. For somebody is just a matter of liking and watching the show, for others is a real way of life, like if the clock was broken in 1980s.I will start telling my way, hoping not to be boring (which is around the corner when speaking of yourself ;-). I admit it, I've been a great fan of the 80s and so a fan of the show. I was 25 to 30 when it was aired and I absorbed, metabolized a lot from it. I think my avatar pic says it al LOL. But that was the era, and you could go around wearing a white blazer without the risk to seem a waiter. Could have a pink t-shirt on and still look masculine. Could listen to 80s music and say "contemporary".That kind of culture was "banned" by trend leaders right after the turn of the new decade, and soon all that was "cool" before became "outdated" and "kitsch" after. No more large shoulders, no more colors, and the synth music (not only that, to say the truth) was considered crap. I tell you, almost all that was "positive" was considered out. It's been hard for me to drop all the things that perfectly matched my vision and feelings. I confess, I tried to hold back the time for a couple of years after, but soon I found myself totally out of the times. I say this cause i see a lot of you guys keeping this thing alive, my true apprecciation for that.Now I'm 53 and what I do nowdays is trying to keep the spirit alive, but I really can't pretend we're in 1984. Sure I still listen to that music, I try to find something good in the fashion of today (very very hard, but not impossible) and keep my style close to what I (meaning "we" ;-) like. Last but in no way least, I joined this community, isn't it? ;-) My look today is somehow recalling that vibe but not that much. I look more like an old Johnson than a young Crockett ;-)So here it is, mates. Long post, hope it wasn't boring. Now is your turn ;-)Cheers,JB

Edited by Jerry B.
  • Like 8

Sweet post, JB.

And welcome to the community, pal!  :thumbsup:

I'm 21 myself, love the 80's, and keeping the spirit alive.

Talking about collectibles - I collect Vice memorabilia and other cool and neat 80's stuff. 

One of them are vinyl records. And those way, way cool Japanese pressings of LP's that I so like.

When it comes to the 80's pop culture - I consider myself a bit of a "junkie".  :D

Waiting for the weathers to cool down a bit in here where I live (in Finland),

so that I can proudly carry my large "I  â™¥  80's" pin/badge clipped on my chest pocket.

To show the world that the 80's spirit is still runnin' free.

And that you didn't have to live the 80's to love it as much as I do.

Again - welcome,

cheers!

Edited by Markwey
  • Like 3

JB,this post are just like a Robin Hoods shoot at the target with a arrow in its middle :thumbsup: we could not bring back the 80s but the 80s are living in us and taking its place in most of the fans casual day,even if they did not even was born when the show had aired up.I always put my 80s style shades,put a cyan shirt with a logo "Miami Vice" on the chest and walk down the street with Bee Gees-Stayin' Alive song in my head (there is a funny background story about that :)  ) some people look at me like I'm high or some look with that smile and you can see from them eyes like they are thinking "I remember those good old days"  but I feel good by living the style of 80s,listening to music of the 80s,watching my favorite movies from the 80s.the important thing is to do something you like and enjoy it in process.of course most of the people now these days are putting old times away to the section "old and not interesting" because they are driven by all the media,TV,radio and posters about the future which says:speed up,don't stop,seek the future,old is bad,new is good and so on...young people now are to brain washed by the music where mostly are use F and N words,movies full of visual effects,but back at the day there people rate movie for actors talent not for how much cash was spent on the effects,spoiled rich celebrities who dress up like they need to shoot their stylist and after that all the teens loose their minds about that looks.of course there is another side of the medal,I do not want to offend any people or style of these days,I'm almost 25 but I'm not in that now days style,I like to stay in the 80s and how I do not understand some of my friends and of course they do not understand me,why I use quotes from Vice or other 80s movies,why I dress up like their fathers used to dress up.I tell you why-because I like it,because I feel it suits me and because I'm one old-timer(right Dave,you understand me here ;)  :) )  I'm from a small country where about 97% of people do not know about Vice and its extremely hard to find any 80s stuff which I collect and one day put everything in my "man cave" (its my dream from childhood :) ) well I bit drifted of the main thought here,but all I wanted to say the 80s was the best decade of all time and it is alive and kicking the proof of it is more and more people joining this community,more and more people looking back and saying "80s?man those days was awesome!" and until fans like me,Markwey,miamijimf,Coop (I hope he come back one day),Ferrariman,Kaipi,CageyJG and many many more awesome Vicers here enjoy them selfs be living the 80s now these days in their own way the 80s will always live and be an example of the era which hit the people around the world so hard that they do not want to let it go.well I hope I did not sound like a loony here and you wore able to catch my drift and it was not boring to you or sounding like a complain.I love Vice and I'm enjoying it.back when I was a kid my mom thought that I'm loco :birdie:  but what can I say...I enjoy it and its most important I think to do what you like in your life and feel good :funky: SO SAY GOOD NIGHT TO THE BAD GUY! :rauchen:

• Like 4

JB,this post are just like a Robin Hoods shoot at the target with a arrow in its middle :thumbsup: we could not bring back the 80s but the 80s are living in us and taking its place in most of the fans casual day,even if they did not even was born when the show had aired up.I always put my 80s style shades,put a cyan shirt with a logo "Miami Vice" on the chest and walk down the street with Bee Gees-Stayin' Alive song in my head (there is a funny background story about that :)  ) some people look at me like I'm high or some look with that smile and you can see from them eyes like they are thinking "I remember those good old days"  but I feel good by living the style of 80s,listening to music of the 80s,watching my favorite movies from the 80s.the important thing is to do something you like and enjoy it in process.of course most of the people now these days are putting old times away to the section "old and not interesting" because they are driven by all the media,TV,radio and posters about the future which says:speed up,don't stop,seek the future,old is bad,new is good and so on...young people now are to brain washed by the music where mostly are use F and N words,movies full of visual effects,but back at the day there people rate movie for actors talent not for how much cash was spent on the effects,spoiled rich celebrities who dress up like they need to shoot their stylist and after that all the teens loose their minds about that looks.of course there is another side of the medal,I do not want to offend any people or style of these days,I'm almost 25 but I'm not in that now days style,I like to stay in the 80s and how I do not understand some of my friends and of course they do not understand me,why I use quotes from Vice or other 80s movies,why I dress up like their fathers used to dress up.I tell you why-because I like it,because I feel it suits me and because I'm one old-timer(right Dave,you understand me here ;)  :) )  I'm from a small country where about 97% of people do not know about Vice and its extremely hard to find any 80s stuff which I collect and one day put everything in my "man cave" (its my dream from childhood :) ) well I bit drifted of the main thought here,but all I wanted to say the 80s was the best decade of all time and it is alive and kicking the proof of it is more and more people joining this community,more and more people looking back and saying "80s?man those days was awesome!" and until fans like me,Markwey,miamijimf,Coop (I hope he come back one day),Ferrariman,Kaipi,CageyJG and many many more awesome Vicers here enjoy them selfs be living the 80s now these days in their own way the 80s will always live and be an example of the era which hit the people around the world so hard that they do not want to let it go.well I hope I did not sound like a loony here and you wore able to catch my drift and it was not boring to you or sounding like a complain.I love Vice and I'm enjoying it.back when I was a kid my mom thought that I'm loco :birdie:  but what can I say...I enjoy it and its most important I think to do what you like in your life and feel good :funky: SO SAY GOOD NIGHT TO THE BAD GUY! :rauchen:

Great post Victor - very informative  :D

• Like 1

• Administrators

In those few months I've been in this community, I had the chance to see how much the MV cult is alive, and I'm even more surprised to see how many young boys and girls are true fanatics about it. And many of them weren't even born at the time the show was on air. I think this is just a great thing.

So many young people interested in the 80s vibe, good old music, vintage synthesizers, and fashion of course. I saw pictures of magenta neon in their homes, palms, and sometimes an impressive collection of 80s clothes, watches, (and cars! ) etc. Not to mention the collectibles, in some cases, very rare stuff. Just great. You know, I'm not that young anymore and is a breeze for me to see that not all the guys in their 20s or 30s are mad for Justin Bieber, rap etc.

I also saw that everyone has "his" or "her" personal way to live that style here. It would be interesting, I guess, to know how you mates keep it alive. For somebody is just a matter of liking and watching the show, for others is a real way of life, like if the clock was broken in 1980s.

I will start telling my way, hoping not to be boring (which is around the corner when speaking of yourself ;-). I admit it, I've been a great fan of the 80s and so a fan of the show. I was 25 to 30 when it was aired and I absorbed, metabolized a lot from it. I think my avatar pic says it al LOL. But that was the era, and you could go around wearing a white blazer without the risk to seem a waiter. Could have a pink t-shirt on and still look masculine. Could listen to 80s music and say "contemporary".

That kind of culture was "banned" by trend leaders right after the turn of the new decade, and soon all that was "cool" before became "outdated" and "kitsch" after. No more large shoulders, no more colors, and the synth music (not only that, to say the truth) was considered crap. I tell you, almost all that was "positive" was considered out. It's been hard for me to drop all the things that perfectly matched my vision and feelings. I confess, I tried to hold back the time for a couple of years after, but soon I found myself totally out of the times. I say this cause i see a lot of you guys keeping this thing alive, my true apprecciation for that.

Now I'm 53 and what I do nowdays is trying to keep the spirit alive, but I really can't pretend we're in 1984. Sure I still listen to that music, I try to find something good in the fashion of today (very very hard, but not impossible) and keep my style close to what I (meaning "we" ;-) like. Last but in no way least, I joined this community, isn't it? ;-) My look today is somehow recalling that vibe but not that much. I look more like an old Johnson than a young Crockett ;-)

So here it is, mates. Long post, hope it wasn't boring. Now is your turn ;-)

Cheers,

JB

Actually, nobody in their 20's and 30's are mad for Justin Bieber. His fans are mostly all 13-15 year old girls. Teenagers these days are blind and stupid.

Mate, you shouldn't feel the need to wear what everybody else wears, wear what YOU want to wear. Don't feel "old fashioned", the Crockett look is timeless. I see people wearing a black blazer with a t-shirt, so there is no need to feel weird about wearing a white one. :p If I dress outdated, I don't care, because I enjoy the style.

As Mama Cass once said,

"you've gotta make your own kind of music

sing your own special song,

make your own kind of music even if nobody

else sings along."

I'm 20 years old, been a fan of the show for a while now. Even my mother questions why I love it so much, and she basically lived her late teens in the 80s, and was a fan of the show, never missed an episode.

But I love everything old. Anything from 1700 - 1990 I am interested in.

I actually still listen to cassette tapes in a Sony Walkman, listening to the hits of the 80s.  :)

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 4

Actually, nobody in their 20's and 30's are mad for Justin Bieber. His fans are mostly all 13-15 year old girls. Teenagers these days are blind and stupid.

Mate, you shouldn't feel the need to wear what everybody else wears, wear what YOU want to wear. Don't feel "old fashioned", the Crockett look is timeless. I see people wearing a black blazer with a t-shirt, so there is no need to feel weird about wearing a white one. :p If I dress outdated, I don't care, because I enjoy the style.

As Mama Cass once said,

"you've gotta make your own kind of music

sing your own special song,

make your own kind of music even if nobody

else sings along."

I'm 20 years old, been a fan of the show for a while now. Even my mother questions why I love it so much, and she basically lived her late teens in the 80s, and was a fan of the show, never missed an episode.

But I love everything old. Anything from 1700 - 1990 I am interested in.

I actually still listen to cassette tapes in a Sony Walkman, listening to the hits of the 80s.  :)

Great post Sl1de :D  :thumbsup:  :fireworks:

Great topic, Jerry B. 

That kind of culture was "banned" by trend leaders right after the turn of the new decade, and soon all that was "cool" before became "outdated" and "kitsch" after. No more large shoulders, no more colors, and the synth music (not only that, to say the truth) was considered crap. I tell you, almost all that was "positive" was considered out.

Sadly the "Music police" as we call them in norway are still very alive and kicking, and still seems to hold some kind of a grudge against anything related to the 80s except maybe "cred" artists like Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Tom Waits, The Stone Roses and The Pixies.

I have nothing against any of the artists above but its seems like a lot people use them almost as an alibi when it comes to naming favorite artist from the 80s, mainly because they are the kind of artists who has been given the big OK by the music police, and anything that sounds like it came out of the 80s were branded as being outdated, silly, plastic and pompous.

But on the bright side I see and hear a bit of the 80s almost everyday and today I watched with a smile on my face as a couple of teenage girls flew past me wearing black/white and pink t-shirts with the classic Miami Vice logo.

It seems 80s shirts are in the wind as I've seen a lot of AlfMarried With ChildrenA-TeamAirwolf and MacGyver shirts plus Sly Stallone, Eddie Murpy and Schwarzenegger's films and references on t-shirts and hoodies in the last couple of months.

And on the radio they play more 80s music than new stuff.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 3

Great topic, Jerry B. 

Sadly the "Music police" as we call them in norway are still very alive and kicking, and still seems to hold some kind of a grudge against anything related to the 80s except maybe "cred" artists like Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Tom Waits, The Stone Roses and The Pixies.

I have nothing against any of the artists above but its seems like a lot people use them almost as an alibi when it comes to naming favorite artist from the 80s, mainly because they are the kind of artists who has been given the big OK by the music police, and anything that sounds like it came out of the 80s were branded as being outdated, silly, plastic and pompous.

But on the bright side I see and hear a bit of the 80s almost everyday and today I watched with a smile on my face as a couple of teenage girls flew past me wearing black/white and pink t-shirts with the classic Miami Vice logo.

It seems 80s shirts are in the wind as I've seen a lot of AlfMarried With ChildrenA-TeamAirwolf and MacGyver shirts plus Sly Stallone, Eddie Murpy and Schwarzenegger's films and references on t-shirts and hoodies in the last couple of months.

And on the radio they play more 80s music than new stuff.

Miami Vice tees are all over the internet these days  :D

• Like 1

Great topic, Jerry B. Sadly the "Music police" as we call them in norway are still very alive and kicking, and still seems to hold some kind of a grudge against anything related to the 80s except maybe "cred" artists like Sonic Youth, The Smiths, Tom Waits, The Stone Roses and The Pixies.I have nothing against any of the artists above but its seems like a lot people use them almost as an alibi when it comes to naming favorite artist from the 80s, mainly because they are the kind of artists who has been given the big OK by the music police, and anything that sounds like it came out of the 80s were branded as being outdated, silly, plastic and pompous. But on the bright side I see and hear a bit of the 80s almost everyday and today I watched with a smile on my face as a couple of teenage girls flew past me wearing black/white and pink t-shirts with the classic Miami Vice logo.It seems 80s shirts are in the wind as I've seen a lot of AlfMarried With ChildrenA-TeamAirwolf and MacGyver shirts plus Sly Stallone, Eddie Murpy and Schwarzenegger's films and references on t-shirts and hoodies in the last couple of months.And on the radio they play more 80s music than new stuff.

You're incredibly right about the music police, Artie. Period.
  • Like 1

Thanks for your comments to all of you mates. I'm i the Magic City right now and you guys make me want to go back to the good old time look. Pictures soon :-)

• Like 1

Hey JB...loved reading your post!

I agree that the new fan base is growing and its great to see appreciation for the 80's.

I know.........I lived it! I was in my 20's during the 80's and lived the scene, the music and the fashion.

How do I live daily in the MV lifestyle? Well it could be as simple as putting on my loafers without socks. ( I rarely wear socks anyways since MV came on the air) If you don't know I own one of the twelve production boats, thus my name "Stinger390x" and I live on the boat every summer at my Marina here in Ontario so I live the dream daily.

I own a Rolex Oyster day-date just like the one Crocket had in season one. (looking for an Ebel every weekend at flea markets, jewelers etc still to this day) and wear it almost every day.

I own a number of jackets of various designs and have a host of "T" shirts and wear the combinations regularly.

I have been looking for a Daytona but have not found the right ride yet. Soon I will and will be cruising with the top down.

I listen to much of the popular music of the day and the series on my mp3 player on a regular basis and quite frankly never get sick of 80's music as I find it so diverse and there was tons of it to choose from. Smart intelligent music lots with good beats and some with great hooks and lyrics.

It's the attitude....live it every day.

• Like 5

Hello Jerry

I am 52 and loved your post.  I too try to keep the 80s alive in my own world.  Whenever I dress for a night out on the town I get my 80s clothing out and am told I am the best dressed guy at the nightclub or casino.  The music of the Vice Era is so important to my sanity, in fact the entire decade had great music. I was a single Air Force officer during that era and unfortunately I could not wear my hair the way I wanted to; but out of uniform I could wear my favorite Le Tigre shirts and loafers with my thin lapel blazers and Panama hat and date hot girls.   :D  Damn I miss those days!!  It's good to see the new generation helping to keep the 80s alive. 

• Like 2

Great topic Jerry.
I'm very young (I didn't say this anybody :D ) so my friends laugh at me that I do not listen to the latest hits only the music of their parents. In addition my peers also mock my passion for politics. When I go shopping I often have a problem at any buy because everything is too "new" I looking for something in the style of the 80's. The whole world around me seems to be different and I can not find a place in it for myself. So I see we all have the same problems.
  • Like 4

• Administrators

Great topic Jerry.
I'm very young (I didn't say this anybody :D ) so my friends laugh at me that I do not listen to the latest hits only the music of their parents. In addition my peers also mock my passion for politics. When I go shopping I often have a problem at any buy because everything is too "new" I looking for something in the style of the 80's. The whole world around me seems to be different and I can not find a place in it for myself. So I see we all have the same problems.

Really? I also have that "not sure" feeling when purchasing clothing items. I also find myself "blind" to fashion, presumably because I am not interested in any of todays clothing. Nothing catches my eye, I don't see anything and think "Oh, I want this". I really do not want any of it.

I thought I was just weird.

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 2

I must congratulate you Jerry B. This is a GREAT TOPIC! Exactly what we on this site are all about.

How do you think I feel? I was a teenager in the '50s & '60s. I loved Frank Sinatra,( and still do.) His songs & movies are the best to me. Then came the '80s and Miami Vice. Don Johnson & Miami Vice didn't replace Sinatra but are right up there along with him.

I sing & play guitar at different venues, & people say I remind them of Frank Sinatra, although I play some R&R & country. If you look at my profile picture, you'll see I dress in a Vice style. I'm still trying to add MV songs to my repertoire. They are difficult to play as a one man band, & take time to arrange.

When my wife & I go to a party or dance, I dress, Sinatra style, with a suit & tie, (no jeans & sneakers) or Crockett style. It depends on the type of affair.

When I see teens in the street with their pants below their hips & no shirt, it makes me mad as hell!

I'll post again on some of the Miami Vice & Sinatra things I've collected.

• Like 5

I'm almost 30, and I'm happy to report that there is a lot of love for the 80's/MV in my age bracket.  In college (and even now) we were always having 80's parties.  A couple years ago at Halloween I wore a Sonny Crockett costume and some guy asked if I was supposed to be a 'lady killer.'  Before I could open my mouth to respond someone else said, 'nah man that's Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice!'  (I might be able to dig up a picture if anyone's interested haha)

Chicks dig the 80's- you can never go wrong turning on some 80's pop songs.  I'll drive around with my windows down playing In the Air Tonight, the MV Theme, or Crockett's Theme (personal favorite), and get plenty of thumbs up.  Nick Swardson does a great stand-up routine where he jokes that girls are always up for an 80's party, no matter what.  "Hey did you hear Osama Bin Laden is having an 80's party tonight?"  "Isn't that the terrorist?" "Yeah." "Whatever I'll be there around 9."

I like to incorporate some Vice/80's into my daily life because it's what I like and thus I feel it's a part of who I am.  Not to say I'll wear the white suit with a turquoise pastel t-shirt everyday, but if occasion and weather calls for a casual suit I'll usually put on an off-white, maybe stone or sand suit and pair it with a light blue shirt to at least put out the Sonny vibe.  I guess one of the good things about not being too fashion aware is that I can wear what I like without knowing if I look ridiculous :-)

Sure the 80's will never come back, but it's definitely left an influence in pop culture- look at Drake's video for 'Hold On We're Coming Home'- he even gets Manny from Scarface as the villain! 

• Like 5

I'm 21 and adore the style still!I think tonight I'll walk in town in my pink blazer,magenta shirt,acid jeans,white shoes and see how things go!Its Friday so I'm sure all the university students are going to come out wasted as always :) So far in my collection I got Miami Vice II record,Testarossa Hotwheel,T-shirt with logo,board game and seasons 1,2,3 :cool:

• Like 3

Great posts so far!

It's nice to see the younger generation adopting the styles for everyday wear. It's weird to go out for me lately as all I see is the young hipsters wearing big old baggy shorts to their knees and sport t-shirts with flip flops. I think North American Culture has lost the knack for dressing up?

I remember when I was in my twenties back in the 80's I would go out clubbing and all the dudes dressed exceptionally well (including me as I spent a small fortune on clothes) and the ladies looked fabulous too! Now its all spandex and flip flops.........I hate flip flops......................

People need to take another look at their wardrobes and self respect, and for crying out loud...stop shopping at Walmart!.

• Like 1

Great posts so far!

It's nice to see the younger generation adopting the styles for everyday wear. It's weird to go out for me lately as all I see is the young hipsters wearing big old baggy shorts to their knees and sport t-shirts with flip flops. I think North American Culture has lost the knack for dressing up?

I remember when I was in my twenties back in the 80's I would go out clubbing and all the dudes dressed exceptionally well (including me as I spent a small fortune on clothes) and the ladies looked fabulous too! Now its all spandex and flip flops.........I hate flip flops......................

People need to take another look at their wardrobes and self respect, and for crying out loud...stop shopping at Walmart!.

Hey Stinger,

I never wear them on my boat, and no self respecting sailor would, but I wear flip flops all summer while off work, when I'm not aboard. The climate here in Long Beach is meant for this kind of casual wear, and "summer" is really about 9-10 months of warm weather  They're ubiquitous in beach communities and in any water sports where you are in, not on, the water.  They work perfectly with the lifestyle.  I surf, body surf, kayak, and open water swim, as well as sail.  Putting on shoes and socks every time I get wet would be a pain.  I usually wear collared shirts, like an aloha or guayabera, with my shorts and flip flops so I'm not totally casual, I guess.

I agree with you about the Walmart, though!  :D

Hi guys,

thanks to you all for your apprecciation and for posting your personal ways to live the style. It's interesting and nice to see how every member translates his passion in his everyday life. As for myself, I dropped the vice style many years ago, but you pals make me want to come back to the good old school ;-)

As nalicali, I prefer to add some "vice spice" to my look, more than maniacally copying the clothing item by item. Frankly, I would feel as wearing a Spiderman or Batman costume. That's not me, and not very serious at 53 ;-) Maybe I feel myself closer to a contemporary Don more than to an 80s Sonny. Same for watches: a full gold watch, outside from the show, it's quite gross to me, and more suitable for a drug dealer (which is the role the guys were playing). I prefer two tone much better. Just my view, of course.

I used to have that fever and - in spite of changing times - I guess it really never went out, it kept staying inside me somehow. It's too bad I sold my 80s blazers, a white one (my 1991 avatar), some Armani, and some of them real close (if not identical) to the ones used by DJ in the show. By the way, your enthusiasm is contagious, And I think I'm coming back to the good old style. I started to watch the show again and I just come back from the Magic City, pics are coming.

And -believe it or not - after 25 years, I bought a white blazer again.

PS Tony D.: Sinatra is great, and if you have something of him, well you're so lucky ;-)

Edited by Jerry B.

Hi guys,

thanks to you all for your apprecciation and for posting your personal ways to live the style. It's interesting and nice to see how every member translates his passion in his everyday life. As for myself, I dropped the vice style many years ago, but you pals make me want to come back to the good old school ;-)

As nalicali, I prefer to add some "vice spice" to my look, more than maniacally copying the clothing item by item. Frankly, I would feel as wearing a Spiderman or Batman costume. That's not me, and not very serious at 53 ;-) Maybe I feel myself closer to a contemporary Don more than to an 80s Sonny. Same for watches: a full gold watch, outside from the show, it's quite gross to me, and more suitable for a drug dealer (which is the role the guys were playing). I prefer two tone much better. Just my view, of course.

I used to have that fever and - in spite of changing times - I guess it really never went out, it kept staying inside me somehow. It's too bad I sold my 80s blazers, a white one (my 1991 avatar), some Armani, and some of them real close (if not identical) to the ones used by DJ in the show. By the way, your enthusiasm is contagious, And I think I'm coming back to the good old style. I started to watch the show again and I just come back from the Magic City, pics are coming.

And -believe it or not - after 25 years, I bought a white blazer again.

PS Tony D.: Sinatra is great, and if you have something of him, well you're so lucky ;-)

Great post - always coming back to Miami Vice !

I've been more or less lurking for a long while, but I'm still pretty heavily into the '80s style. One of my jobs is a more or less button down corporate gig so I can't really get away with anything too Vice-like when I work there, but I've noticed that the Dillards brand Roundtree and Yorke have a good summer linen collection. Mostly aloha shirts and the like, but I can definitely pull off a cross between Sonny Crockett and Thomas Magnum most of the time. :D

The blazer/slack sets from RAG(check out a previous post of mine for the initial review) turned out kinda subpar but I still wear them from time to time. I definitely get people making Vice references, a couple of them moreso in a mocking tone but for the most part positive. For a more contemporary look I pair the blazer with a T-shirt and a pair of bluejeans. It looks pretty good, casual but doesn't stand out too much. I've also got a set of polarized tortoiseshell Wayfarer knock-offs(I'm debating getting the real deal after I get my car back up to snuff) that pretty much stay glued to my temples every time I go out.

Other than that, I generally rock '80s music in various formats while driving along(no convertible yet, unfortunately). I came out of the decade, so I'm definitely going to own it as much as I can. I don't particularly care for the newer fads, fashion or music police, and frankly their opinions don't matter to me. I'm doing what I like because I like it, and don't really feel like owing an explanation to anyone for doing so, haha.

Not sure if this is just a NYC thing, but I see PLENTY of young women wearing long and shortsleeve shirts with the wide neck opening so that it's draped over only one shoulder, with the other shoulder revealed (Flashdance style). Also, anyone here neard of a synth group called "Chvrches"? They have a very 80's synth sound and they're quite popular worldwide.

Lastly, I know I'm gonna hear it for using this as an example, but look at the cover to Miley Cyrus' latest album:

Eingefügtes Bild

Neon lighting, palm trees, and pastel-esque colors.

If that doesn't scream "80'S!!!", I don't know what does.