Ways to live the style

Jerry B.

• Administrators

Not sure if this is just a NYC thing, but I see PLENTY of young women wearing long and shortsleeve shirts with the wide neck opening so that it's draped over only one shoulder, with the other shoulder revealed (Flashdance style). Also, anyone here neard of a synth group called "Chvrches"? They have a very 80's synth sound and they're quite popular worldwide.

Lastly, I know I'm gonna hear it for using this as an example, but look at the cover to Miley Cyrus' latest album:

Eingefügtes Bild

Neon lighting, palm trees, and pastel-esque colors.

If that doesn't scream "80'S!!!", I don't know what does.

Too bad her music is garbage.

On the subject of album covers for garbage music, does this logo look familiar? :p

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Even better example. Especially if her music is even worse. Though these days, I don't know what sounds worse. All of it makes me wanna grab a pencil in each hand and stab myself in the eardrums.

• Like 1

I don't think a modern day Miami vice would work. The fashion and music would be awful and even if they went with that the music rights would probably be ridicuous for the latest Bieber/rihanna song.

If they they rebooted MV it should be a period show set back in the 80s with 2 new characters. The music rights for 30 old songs would be cheaper, no CGI explosions like they do with modern shows, just plain old good filmmaking. Get all the extras to dress in pastels, gheri curls, mullets, hawaiian shirts..etc lol

I don't think a modern day Miami vice would work. The fashion and music would be awful and even if they went with that the music rights would probably be ridicuous for the latest Bieber/rihanna song.

If they they rebooted MV it should be a period show set back in the 80s with 2 new characters. The music rights for 30 old songs would be cheaper, no CGI explosions like they do with modern shows, just plain old good filmmaking. Get all the extras to dress in pastels, gheri curls, mullets, hawaiian shirts..etc lol

I guess my only problem is that period pieces are never truly 100% authentic: you always know it's a modern TV show/movie trying too hard to be set in the past. The hairstyles, clothing, etc. all look contrived and say, "Look! It's 2014 and we tried really hard to get it to look like 1984!" And always, something modern creeps through, even if it's the facade of a building erected five years ago.

But watch something from that era, and it's genuine because it was current and nobody needed to try. They didn't need to line the streets with vintage cars because all the cars from the 70s and 80s were newer and more frequent.

I think a MV reboot would be really similar to the Hawaii Five Oh reboot they did: much darker, a million subplots, and less emphasis on flash and style. Compare the old suit-and-tie McGarrett to the new t-shirt and jeans one. They'd so the same with a 2014 Crockett. Who they'd cast would be important.

The other thing is modern day South Beach is much different, more crowded and clubby than the one of old. In fact, the more I think about it, a 2014 MV would really just end up like the 2006 movie, all dark, mumbled dialogue, lots of thugs, no sunshine or color. 

I guess my only problem is that period pieces are never truly 100% authentic: you always know it's a modern TV show/movie trying too hard to be set in the past. The hairstyles, clothing, etc. all look contrived and say, "Look! It's 2014 and we tried really hard to get it to look like 1984!" And always, something modern creeps through, even if it's the facade of a building erected five years ago.

But watch something from that era, and it's genuine because it was current and nobody needed to try. They didn't need to line the streets with vintage cars because all the cars from the 70s and 80s were newer and more frequent.

I think a MV reboot would be really similar to the Hawaii Five Oh reboot they did: much darker, a million subplots, and less emphasis on flash and style. Compare the old suit-and-tie McGarrett to the new t-shirt and jeans one. They'd so the same with a 2014 Crockett. Who they'd cast would be important.

The other thing is modern day South Beach is much different, more crowded and clubby than the one of old. In fact, the more I think about it, a 2014 MV would really just end up like the 2006 movie, all dark, mumbled dialogue, lots of thugs, no sunshine or color. 

Yeah but i think there's an audience for that 80s nostalgia in the same way "that 70s show" was a late 90s interpretation of that period. Michael mann did Public enemies doing the 1930s with Digital cameras. Some people didn't like it because of the anachronistic technology but i dug it. Chinatown and the godfather are obvious '70s versions of the '40s etc.

A modern day show could work but i think it'd just lose it's charm and be another generic cop show..

Yeah but i think there's an audience for that 80s nostalgia in the same way "that 70s show" was a late 90s interpretation of that period. Michael mann did Public enemies doing the 1930s with Digital cameras. Some people didn't like it because of the anachronistic technology but i dug it. Chinatown and the godfather are obvious '70s versions of the '40s etc.

A modern day show could work but i think it'd just lose it's charm and be another generic cop show..

They'd need a big budget. One of the reasons the Godfather films worked was because Coppola had millions and millions of dollars to spend on wardrobe and everything. As for vice, audiences these days want gritty, gritty realism. Not that the original show didn't have that element, but most people remember Vice as shallow and tacky without any substance, which isn't true! I would hope that a remake set in the 80s wouldn't be played for laughs the same way the Starsky & Hutch remake was. That was another show that was actually pretty dark and gritty, but all anyone seems to remember are the bell bottoms and pimp styles.

They'd need a big budget. One of the reasons the Godfather films worked was because Coppola had millions and millions of dollars to spend on wardrobe and everything. As for vice, audiences these days want gritty, gritty realism. Not that the original show didn't have that element, but most people remember Vice as shallow and tacky without any substance, which isn't true! I would hope that a remake set in the 80s wouldn't be played for laughs the same way the Starsky & Hutch remake was. That was another show that was actually pretty dark and gritty, but all anyone seems to remember are the bell bottoms and pimp styles.

If they did it with the same serious tone as that Robbery Homicide Division but with Vice cops i'd watch it.

• 5 months later...

I'm new here and just started watching Miami Vice. When the show went off air, I was just a baby, and they never seem to play re-runs on t.v. I love the 80s, it's an era that I feel very drawn to, and gives me a sense of deja vu. I always feel like I was born at the wrong time. I hate the mainstream music of this era, and I don't like the style either. I have always wished that I could have been in my 20s in the 80s instead of now. I've been listening to 80s music since I was in high school. Unfortunately, it wasn't "cool" to do that, and most people my age just can't understand my love for that era and its music. I had heard of this show some years ago, but never got around to watching it. Then a few weeks ago, I found that you can watch the episodes for free at NBC's website, and since then I've been looking up all things Vice. I'm a woman and right away I noticed how attractive Crockett and Tubbs were. I wish men still dressed like that. They were so handsome and they had such a true sense of style. I like to dress in their style myself. I have some shirtdresses and other outfits that resemble some of the stuff Gina and Trudy wore.

Also, I've been looking around and I found some nice blazers and pants at Forever 21 that are very much the Crockett/Tubbs style. Right now, it's winter though, so I'll have to wait till the weather is warmer to wear a lot of the stuff that's in my closet. Kind of makes me wish I lived in Miami, where it's always summer. I'm really glad I discovered this show and this forum here, the one thing that's always exciting is constantly "discovering" all this eighties stuff. And it's really cool to see a show use the music I've already been listening to for years instead of the crap that's popular nowadays. That's why I hope they never do a re-make of the series, because the way the actors will act and the music they use will be the trend of the present day. Also, it won't have that lighting, the look, feel, the atmosphere that the real Miami Vice does. I was also disappointed to find out that there are only five seasons of the show. There are too many shows at there not half as good that go on for longer than that. I feel that MV should have had another three or four seasons, it's a shame it ended too soon like that.

• Like 5

WELCOME! Want to see Don Johnson's blazers he wore in MIAMI VICE, and VICE photoshoots? I own several!  How about rare MIAMI VICE cast and crew items?  How about photos from scenes in MIAMI VICE that were cut from the show?? Would you like to see props from the show? The actual script to the pilot episode?  And....much, MUCH more?

Then visit my Personal, Private collection of items in the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION!

Click here to view all the incredible threads! http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/forum/40-cooper-burnetts-miami-vice-scrapbook/

Welcome to MIAMI VICE HEAVEN!!

-COOP         

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

Hi viceystyle!
Great to have you here with us  :D

Interesting read to know you as young but addicted like we.

May I ask if you could show us the named clothes which are waiting in your cupboard?
You have not wear them but a photo tough would be great.

Funny you're woman and nevertheless you have that male style with you.
I am one of these who was in her 20s in the 80s. 
I also have worn then espandrilles, linen trowes, button shirt and the most  :D 'amazing' blazers.

For that the right gender is not needed. It never looked wrong with me.

So ... Welcome On Board !!   :flowers:  
Hope to read you often !!! 

Thank you everyone! I will try and see if I can photography some of the stuff I have. My wardrobe is an eclectic collection. I have a bit of everything there, including some retro 40s/50s style stuff even. Currently, I'm eyeing some stuff I want to buy that look like the Crockett style. I haven't gotten around to it, as it is still winter, and also I'm waiting till April or May in hopes it will be easier to find some MV type things when the department stores bring out the summer clothes. I noticed that too, the Crockett and Tubbs style works well regardless of gender. I wanted to find a woman's size shirt like the one Tubbs wore in the pilot episode when he goes to see Crockett on the boat right after Sonny found out that Rafael Tubbs is dead and he's wondering who this guy really is. It's a pastel lavender shirt with white stripes I think. I thought it was a very nice casual look. So I'll see if I can get some of my clothes out of storage and find some new pieces to buy as well. Once again, thanks everyone, and I'm very glad I found this forum. It really adds to the experience of watching the show.

• Like 2

WELCOME! Want to see Don Johnson's blazers he wore in MIAMI VICE, and VICE photoshoots? I own several!  How about rare MIAMI VICE cast and crew items?  How about photos from scenes in MIAMI VICE that were cut from the show?? Would you like to see props from the show? The actual script to the pilot episode?  And....much, MUCH more?

Then visit my Personal, Private collection of items in the COOPER&BURNETT SCRAPBOOK SECTION!

Click here to view all the incredible threads! http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/forum/40-cooper-burnetts-miami-vice-scrapbook/

Welcome to MIAMI VICE HEAVEN!!

-COOP         

Don't forget to visit http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/forum/40-cooper-burnetts-miami-vice-scrapbook/

It's a Miami Vice Museum!

• Administrators

including some retro 40s/50s style stuff even. 

Awesome, I think I like you already! :) (I'm actually like the 40s and 50s more than the 80s)

Hello, and welcome to the site viceystyle! Anything regarding Miami Vice, the style, and even the music, you should find it here somewhere.

It's always nice to meet others in their 20s who are into Miami Vice (and the 80s). It really is the greatest show ever.

And if you need help with anything site related, feel free to private message me.

• Like 1

I am 22 and love love looooove Miami Vice.I am glad that there are authentic sounding retro groups out there and many can be heard on YouTube.I need to buy more styled clothes,I don't quite have enough lol :D

Edited by BlueAir

I am 22 and love love looooove Miami Vice.I am glad that there are authentic sounding retro groups out there and many can be heard on YouTube.I need to buy more styled clothes,I don't quite have enough lol :D

The problem is that today to find good music you really have to dig. Back then, good music was mainstream. It's what was played on the radio, it was what was "in". Nowadays, all the mainstream stuff is awful. The good current music that is out there, you have to go looking for, as those artists don't get much attention, fame, exposure, etc. I wonder if great music will once again become mainstream or if it will remain like this. For the past 12-15 years or so, it just hasn't been. Almost everything I listen to is from the 80s and early 90s (that period of time when it was still pretty much the 80s). I do like some late 90s stuff, and even some newer stuff, but that's more rare. There are some artists out there making good music, they are just not mainstream and harder to find than all the stuff that's constantly in our faces, on t.v. and radio, and musical guests on shows, etc. I have no interest in any of that. As for the clothes, you can find some stuff if you look in the right places. Too bad the shoulder pads are gone. But I was at the mall today, passed by the men's section at Dillard's and saw a lot of clothes that looked really authentic Vice style. 

• Like 2

I have quite a few pink shirts.My recent addition is a light pink polo from Wal-Mart :cool: Spring is next month so its almost time to bring the pastels out :D Thinking about getting a pair of new espadrilles soon.

I was kid in the eighties, a teen in the nineties. I didn't fit in stylistically with my rolled up sleeve jean jackets, button up shirts over t-shirts tucked in and Tennis shoes. I didn't listen to the stuff everyone else was listening too. For me it was Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Huey Lewis, Micheal Jackson, Eddy Grant, A-Ha... You know, the list goes on. No one understood this. Not even family. Then at the end of 2002 when I'd long given up hope for any eighties revival anything, a commercial hit TV for a video game called Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I was in my early twenties and then, people finally understood the coolness factor the eighties had to me. There is still a lot of that revival happening. Since originalism is disappearing, all the decades styles from the fifties to the nineties are recycled into today's style. Love spotting eighties styles. I'm 34 now. I'm taking the eighties with me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The weather here is finally getting warmer. I can't wait to bring out some of the lighter clothes to wear. I went outside today, it was a beautiful day, started out a little cold but then it was warm, sunny, with perfectly cotton-like clouds. I was running some errands, and I actually heard In the Air Tonight at the laundromat, and I walked outside and some guy was sitting in his truck playing an 80s classic rock song, though for some reason I can't remember what it was. But definitely I got that MV vibe today!

I have plenty of Vice clothing (white blazers, Crockett style henley's and some shoes and trousers, Ray-bans) I'm 19 years old myself and when it's summer and stuff I do pull off the look, and I usually listen to the soundtrack or Jan Hammer music on my iPhone, I do feel pretty epic doing the look but at the same time a little paranoid and worried that I might look a bit daft or stand out too much, it seems as if you can't get away with the look in the UK as much as you could in the U.S. these days, but I still try and go for it no matter what  :)  :cool:

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 1

Vicestyle, Detective_Crockett, so nice to see you can't wait to wear lighter clothes, linen blazers, raybans etc. It does remind of me in my twenties, back then in the golden era. I used to literally "resurrect" during spring/summer.

Glad to see that - 30 years after - people of the same age I had at the time are doing and feeling the same.  Don't change that, guys ;-)