Ways to live the style

Jerry B.

Crockett's wearing style is still very popular in my country (Poland):

2drwbw2.jpg

Hey pal, that's great. I also love the girls' look, so damn 80s! It takes me back to my times ;-)

• Like 1

I think I'm in the minority here, but I never really have been into clothing very much.  I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, that I wear shorts most of the year.  I'm lucky enough to live in a climate that allows this, Long Beach.  I usually wear shirts that are more like Zito or Switek wear than Crockett or Tubbs, but I do have a couple of henleys I wear occasionally.  Lots of aloha shirts and guayaberas as well.  Deck shoes and flip flops too.

One of the things I remember from watching the show when it originally aired (I was in high school) was that Crockett's character was incredibly casual for the times with the stubble, no socks, t-shirts under jackets.  I actually remember thinking it was cool that he dressed so casually and then it became fashionable.  Tubbs was certainly much better dressed than any of them, but it never appealed to me, and now as an adult I am still very casual.  I live in a beach community where that is the norm.

But to my major Vicestyle point!  It is the water lifestyle.  I was fascinated when it first aired that Crockett lived on a sailboat, and while I never have lived aboard, I have several friends who have or do still.  I have a sailboat and spend lots of time on the water.  I didn't grow up at the coast, but always was drawn to it, and now live at a marina in a townhouse.  Lots of people live aboard around here.  We are surrounded by water and I think Miami Vice played a role in my choice to live where I do.  There have been many times while on the water that I have looked back at the Long Beach skyline and thought how much it looks like Miami.

Edited by pahonu

I like that Crockett was so casual as well. I think it fit the setting they were in, a tropical place, perpetual summer, light clothing and pastels really made sense. I love that he was he casual, yet stylish. I'd say he was a lot more stylish than most people who are considered "well-dressed" these days. I also find that Tubbs dressed too formally. Early on, he had some casual outfits, like when he wears the lilac/white stripe t-shirt, or when he didn't wear ties. I don't like it how they made him dress up in full suit-and-tie clothes later on. I wish they'd kept his style more as it was in the first season. I'm glad Crockett maintained the same style throughout, maybe Don Johnson had something to do with that.

I wish that I lived in a place by the water! I do live in what would be considered a warmer climate, and we get a lot of days in the spring and summer that are much like Miami weather (today is one of those days!). We even have a few palm trees here. But I wish I lived by the ocean. Here the closest water is the Gulf Coast, it's about a two-hour drive to Corpus Christi, and I have been there a few times. I've driven along Ocean Drive there, seen the colorful mansions along the Bay. But the Gulf just isn't the Atlantic! I would love to actually live in South Florida, or a place by the actual ocean. It would be nice to be in a climate where it's always summer, although I do like colder weather sometimes, and at the end of the hot summer, I always look forward to fall...so maybe I would miss seasons, though the beautiful scenery of South Florida or oceanside place would probably make up for that.

I like that Crockett was so casual as well. I think it fit the setting they were in, a tropical place, perpetual summer, light clothing and pastels really made sense. I love that he was he casual, yet stylish. I'd say he was a lot more stylish than most people who are considered "well-dressed" these days. I also find that Tubbs dressed too formally. Early on, he had some casual outfits, like when he wears the lilac/white stripe t-shirt, or when he didn't wear ties. I don't like it how they made him dress up in full suit-and-tie clothes later on. I wish they'd kept his style more as it was in the first season. I'm glad Crockett maintained the same style throughout, maybe Don Johnson had something to do with that.

I wish that I lived in a place by the water! I do live in what would be considered a warmer climate, and we get a lot of days in the spring and summer that are much like Miami weather (today is one of those days!). We even have a few palm trees here. But I wish I lived by the ocean. Here the closest water is the Gulf Coast, it's about a two-hour drive to Corpus Christi, and I have been there a few times. I've driven along Ocean Drive there, seen the colorful mansions along the Bay. But the Gulf just isn't the Atlantic! I would love to actually live in South Florida, or a place by the actual ocean. It would be nice to be in a climate where it's always summer, although I do like colder weather sometimes, and at the end of the hot summer, I always look forward to fall...so maybe I would miss seasons, though the beautiful scenery of South Florida or oceanside place would probably make up for that.

One good thing going for you in the Gulf is that the water is warmer.  Everybody who comes to Southern California for the first time and goes in the ocean is shocked that it's colder than they expected.  Summer temps top out in the low 70's, which I love, but in winter it drops to the low 60's, sometimes even upper 50's.  Wetsuits are a must if you want to stay in the surf, 

I grew up about an hour and half from the coast, not too much different from you.  My parents used to camp at the beach all the time, though, so I got hooked.  Once I got out of college I moved to the beach in Santa Monica.  It's certainly more expensive, but I wanted it badly so I made it work with a studio apartment.  After my wife finished school in Santa Barbara, we rented a tiny one bedroom place for several years until we could afford a condo on the marina.  We could never afford a freestanding house on the sand here.  They cost millions, but we like our little two-bedroom with a view of the marina.  It's just under 1200sq ft.  Several years later I bought an old sailboat, and have spent a lot of time fixing it up.  It's a lifestyle choice that comes with compromises.  We have friends that still live inland with waaay bigger places than ours (like twice the size or more) that cost about the same, but I would rather have the location.  They have three-car garages.  We have parking spaces.  They have a yard.  We have only a small balcony.  It's more crowded, but that because people want to be here.  Not everyone would want to make the sacrifice in size, but we prefer it.

Maybe some day you can make it happen.  :)

Edited by pahonu

I sometimes look at Miami on the Google maps, and it does seem to still have a different feel. At least the palm trees and the proximity of the ocean are enough for me to get those good vibes from it! It's much nicer looking than the Gulf Coast to me. I don't think Corpus Christi looks bad, and I did enjoy driving along there and seeing the mansions, but Miami just seems a hundred times nicer to me because it's more surrounded by water, it's a true tropical climate, and the architecture/design is better. I know it can be expensive to actually have a house right by the ocean, but really I wouldn't mind living a few miles inland at all, just as long as I'm in a city that is actually on the ocean, where you know it's only a short drive away. 

• Like 1

I sometimes look at Miami on the Google maps, and it does seem to still have a different feel. At least the palm trees and the proximity of the ocean are enough for me to get those good vibes from it! It's much nicer looking than the Gulf Coast to me. I don't think Corpus Christi looks bad, and I did enjoy driving along there and seeing the mansions, but Miami just seems a hundred times nicer to me because it's more surrounded by water, it's a true tropical climate, and the architecture/design is better. I know it can be expensive to actually have a house right by the ocean, but really I wouldn't mind living a few miles inland at all, just as long as I'm in a city that is actually on the ocean, where you know it's only a short drive away. 

Well it's certainly possible if you're cool with a mile or two from the water.  A buddy of mine from college lives about two miles from the water, near Long Beach State, and his place is about the same price as ours.  It's a small freestanding home of about the same size.  I do know that if you want to be on the water it is possible if you're really willing to sacrifice size, but many people are not.  By the way, Long Beach looks very much like Miami in many ways.  In fact, it was the location of CSI Miami filming as I've mentioned in other posts...palm trees and all.  Look on google maps at Naples, Alamitos Bay and Marina Pacifica in Long Beach and you will see the kind of inland waterways of Miami.  Look at Shoreline and downtown and it will look very much like downtown Miami.

Edited by pahonu

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry, I look at the 1980s with the utmost respect.  I am utterly obsessed with the 80s, and have been from a young age (which would have been somewhere in the late 90s for me).  The 80s are the best period of TV, film, music and fashion to me!  I remember seeing the video for Billy Idol's "Catch My Fall" when I was probably 10-12 and I cried and closed my eyes, hoping that it would be the 80s.  Silly, but I still "live" in the 80s, even though I never lived then.  Sometimes when I watch a lot of "Vice" or other 80s stuff, I almost feel like I'm there... in that time period.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 80s were the time of my childhood. Still on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain, but plenty of things filtered though: everyone had Cobra Stallone, Miami Vice and Testarossa posters on the wall; everyone listened to the "new" things in music and our mothers were busy debating whether George Michael or Shakin' Stevens was the more handsome guy.

Anyway, I think I saw Miami Vice either at the very end of the 80s or just in '90 or '91.  I remember how I bemoaned the arrival of grunge and everything after.

My way of "living the 80s"?  Music, original 80s or many new artists rediscovering the style I once deemed dead. I try to drive coupes, wear retro sunglasses and dress in a modern approximation of the 80s. That is, I try to pick something that relates to the 80s or something that either Crockett or Tubbs would like now. As I tend to hate communism and political correctness, I voice my views in a plain Vice manner, which helps me get the message across and does not insult anyone.

It's all hard to describe. But in the summertime photo from a car enthusiast meet, everyone would easily spot me:

2vcjhwy.jpg

Edited by corsair77
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The weather here is finally getting warmer. I can't wait to bring out some of the lighter clothes to wear. I went outside today, it was a beautiful day, started out a little cold but then it was warm, sunny, with perfectly cotton-like clouds. I was running some errands, and I actually heard In the Air Tonight at the laundromat, and I walked outside and some guy was sitting in his truck playing an 80s classic rock song, though for some reason I can't remember what it was. But definitely I got that MV vibe today!

Its (finally) also getting warmer in my country - time to get the MV vibe on.

As a 24 year old danish male, achieving that 80s look can be difficult without looking like I'm going to a 80s party or just sticking out. My country has moved forward, unlike many eastern European countries where 80s style is still common (like shown earlier in this thread). I'm jealous.

I try to mix with modern style - I found a pair of nice real vintage 80s B&L Wayfarers a year ago (tortoise with grey lenses, for that final Crockett touch). Throw on a blazer (navy is my favorite) and a plain one colored t shirt.  Luckily wearing loafers with no socks is not uncommon. And I don't forget to leave the sunglasses hanging in my t-shirt when not wearing them. I do own a cyan CK tshirt and a white blazer, but only dare wear it on special occasions. 

Unlike some of you other fellas in here I just don't have the guts to go full MV. 

I was born in 90, but watched MV in the late 90s. Playing GTA Vice City endlessly also made me love the 80s. The style, the atmosphere and music. And lets be real - music today is kaka. 90s and early 00s had some good music, but the last 10-13 years has been a dead zone. Being stuck at parties in the last years of school between 2005-08, forced to listen to horrible music which noone gives a #¤!# about today was torture.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Ragnar.  Wear what you like and never be afraid to strut your MV style.  Just remember YOU are the cool one who looks better than your friends.  I totally agree with your comment about the music scene.  

I wish Warsaw was still rocking the 80s style... It's all bearded hipsters now, Berlin-style.

Hate to see what that looks like :)

• Like 1

Hate to see what that looks like :)

I wish Warsaw was still rocking the 80s style... It's all bearded hipsters now, Berlin-style.

I hate hipsters in every way ahahahah the looks like clochards 

I hate hipsters in every way ahahahah the looks like clochards 

Everyone despises hipsters... even hipsters.

I just want to point out that contrary to modern belief, slim fit jeans isn't a hipster style. The idea of a hipster is to take clothing objects from various different styles because they're hip, or "hot", "cool", etc. in a pathetic attempt to stand out.

In school I was mostly around skaters/rock/metal people (played guitar and bass in our own band) and we often wore slim fitting clothes, so to me its always been a rock style garment. Sad how hipsters picked up this piece of garment and claimed it as their own.

Its kinda like the Wayfarer sunglasses. We know its a timeless, classic, stylish choice of eye protection, yet most people seem to think of it as hipster glasses. Both slim fit jeans and wayfarers are victims of hipster gentrification style.

• Like 1

Thank you, pals!  I hate the hipster junk, too!

I love the 80s fashion, but I hate when I am accused of being a hipster for wearing an acid-wash denim jacket, or wayfarer sunglasses, or collecting vinyl records... I'm just an 80's fan!

I love the 80s fashion, but I hate when I am accused of being a hipster for wearing an acid-wash denim jacket, or wayfarer sunglasses, or collecting vinyl records... I'm just an 80's fan!

I had that happen to me too pal lol :)  I mainly try to not look too outlandish but keep the general Vice look.I'm trying to build a collection chino color shorts (so far I got yellow).Pastel polo's are lovely too (I got banana yellow,light blue,and pastel pink :cool: ).Plenty of henley shirts at my disposal and several combinations of looks.I go as far to go for the New Romantic look with the clothes and makeup the guys had but at this time it would be too "odd" but generally I am more of the New Wave type anyway.

• Administrators

I agree, there's a difference between wearing or listening to something because you have a taste for it and it more suits your style, than doing it just because it isn't mainstream (which is what hipsters do ).

I sometimes wish the "hipster" trend was never created. With their long beards, and hairstyle with the short sides and long top...

And the knot, I hate the knot, I just want to cut it off whenever I see someone with a knot on top of their head. I do not understand todays trends, they're just plain stupid. Why would anybody think that's cool?

BlueAir, yes, anything pastel colored is cool with me!  I have a turquoise, or kind of ice blue Izod polo that I love, especially!  I really like henleys, and also pocket ts!  I have a very large amount of different ts and pocket ts.  I like the Fruit of the Loom brand because they make so many colors are a little more roomy.  Gildan is good for colors, but their shirts shrink a lot.

I don't think I'd have the balls to wear the makeup, but I love the New Wave music.  I got into The Cars and Billy Idol at a very young age hearing them on classic radio stations.  Now I have almost all of their albums on vinyl.  I also love Human League, The Fixx, and many others!

James, you are much too correct!  I hate the buzzed down sides on hair with long on top, except for Morrissey, but he's been doing that for over 30 years now.  That's another thing, when people think you're a hipster for liking the Smiths and Morrissey solo.  I love him, but because I love his voice and his songwriting!

Now Cyndi Lauper, she is the one who can pull off the long hair with one side shaved.  I hate how popular that has gotten in the last couple years!

And that knot on top is a rarity, but it is disgusting!

Edited by AndrewRemington

• Administrators

I hate how they copy Buddy Holly's style of wearing clear glasses, and 99% of them probably haven't even heard of him.

• Like 1

We have quite a few Rastas here in Long Beach, especially up on 4th street in the Arts District.  There's a cool shop there called Slice of Jamaica, and I've bought many reggae albums there.  My collection numbers well over 200 now.  There's always an old dread carving cool wood statues out in front.  I never really thought much about them knotting their dreads.  I don't know how this relates to hipsters, but many local dreads tie up their locks.  I think it's cool they do their own thing religiously even though I'm not religious.