Ways to live the style

Jerry B.

4 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Jerry B, great post and still alive as of today! Lol

I use a touch of MV/80s style  (sometimes a bit more) into my daily style here in NH without being too stand outish. Dress pants, boat shoes w/ no socks, henleys and 80s color palettes. I was just in Lumberton, NC this past weekend & while out to dinner I heard someone say he didn't know it was Miami Vice night lol. Made we proud to represent! The 80s lives on forever.

Every night is Miami Vice, night! ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2017 at 10:42 AM, jenny said:

theres a lot of 80's fashion coming back in style!

Jenny, just curious if you have found the dresses you were looking for? 

2 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Jenny, just curious if you have found the dresses you were looking for? 

I found a few on etsy and I'm still searching other sites!

Another option:  you can look at vintage patterns, choose some you like, and have them made up for you.  Lots of vintage patterns on eBay.

57 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Another option:  you can look at vintage patterns, choose some you like, and have them made up for you.  Lots of vintage patterns on eBay.

oh, I didn't think of that!   great option!   Ill have to do that!

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure I've seen this before but I could not find it in here with a quick search, so for any interested here it is again:

• Like 2

On 9/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Pretty sure I've seen this before but I could not find it in here with a quick search, so for any interested here it is again:

I have seen this.  Makes me laugh when we are told Sonny's blazers where tossed on the floor to give them at special look.  At times when I wear my wrinkled blazers my wife comments that they need to be ironed.  She just doesn't understand.  LOL

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I have seen this.  Makes me laugh when we are told Sonny's blazers where tossed on the floor to give them at special look.  At times when I wear my wrinkled blazers my wife comments that they need to be ironed.  She just doesn't understand.  LOL

lol...I do know what you mean. I drove the Daytona to an office Halloween party once wearing a white and somewhat wrinkled unconstructed blazer and noticed some looks directed at the wrinkles in my jacket. They just didn't get it. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I lived on a 35' boat with a buddy for a couple of years. Just about everything I wore was wrinkled, it was a space thing, with only so much closet space, everything else kinda just got laid on something. It changed me to the point that even my t-shirts now need to be hung on a hanger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Old thread I know , but I was also in my 20's when the show aired . At the time I lived in Los Angeles near the beach . I adopted the style immediately as did most young men my age . The music was the music of my generation and I cling to it now just as my parents clung to the music of their youth . How can you not ? Music of your youth stays with you because it creates memories of that time in your life .

Today , I still listen to the music at home and in my car . I have different looks for different days . Other than at work , because I wear a uniform , I have somerhing Vice on . For lazy days off rather I'm going to the movies or taking my kid to the state fair , I go with a stripped down , season 1 Crockett style . Tee shirt and light or thin linen pants and the ol' deck shoes without socks and no jacket when it's hot .

If I'm going to dinner with friends or a family gathering such as a wedding or when I'm going to church , I go with the more dapper , season 2 look with the leather loafers or espadrille along with full jacket and pants . The season 1 look Sonny had was more suited for day to day wear than the more tailored and coordinated look of season 2 , at least in my opinion . It's been suggested that in season 1 , Sonny dressed like he put on the cleanest thing that happened to be on the floor next to his bed and I agree with that assessment . That's pretty much my daily look .

I have seen the MV look go in and out of style and I have persisted all the way through . Even when it was " out of style " I was always able to find clothing and shoes inspired by MV so I don't think it's ever completely gone out of style . Today , if you go clothes and shoes hunting , you can find plenty of color in men's clothes and shoes that , while not exactly what Sonny wore , are very , very close . Today's blazers and trousers are cut differently than they were in the 80's of course but you can see the influence of the show creeping back into the mainstream of men's fashion . As someone else in this thread said , the look is timeless . I've never worried about what anybody thought of the way I dress and even as a 53 year old I can still pull it off and the looks still turn people's heads .

• Like 4

On 10/27/2017 at 10:18 AM, Party_car1 said:

Old thread I know , but I was also in my 20's when the show aired . At the time I lived in Los Angeles near the beach . I adopted the style immediately as did most young men my age . The music was the music of my generation and I cling to it now just as my parents clung to the music of their youth . How can you not ? Music of your youth stays with you because it creates memories of that time in your life .

Today , I still listen to the music at home and in my car . I have different looks for different days . Other than at work , because I wear a uniform , I have somerhing Vice on . For lazy days off rather I'm going to the movies or taking my kid to the state fair , I go with a stripped down , season 1 Crockett style . Tee shirt and light or thin linen pants and the ol' deck shoes without socks and no jacket when it's hot .

If I'm going to dinner with friends or a family gathering such as a wedding or when I'm going to church , I go with the more dapper , season 2 look with the leather loafers or espadrille along with full jacket and pants . The season 1 look Sonny had was more suited for day to day wear than the more tailored and coordinated look of season 2 , at least in my opinion . It's been suggested that in season 1 , Sonny dressed like he put on the cleanest thing that happened to be on the floor next to his bed and I agree with that assessment . That's pretty much my daily look .

I have seen the MV look go in and out of style and I have persisted all the way through . Even when it was " out of style " I was always able to find clothing and shoes inspired by MV so I don't think it's ever completely gone out of style . Today , if you go clothes and shoes hunting , you can find plenty of color in men's clothes and shoes that , while not exactly what Sonny wore , are very , very close . Today's blazers and trousers are cut differently than they were in the 80's of course but you can see the influence of the show creeping back into the mainstream of men's fashion . As someone else in this thread said , the look is timeless . I've never worried about what anybody thought of the way I dress and even as a 53 year old I can still pull it off and the looks still turn people's heads .

Yea, same for women's clothes too!  I see dresses, tops and pants with the same cut that Trudy and Gina wore on the show.   Skinny jeans with stilettos are back in style, the way they were in the 80's.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems a big part of Sonny’s look was the 3 color palette. Usually, pants, shirt & jacket colors were all different. Damn I like that look! Rocking it today and have been quit a bit lately.

• 7 months later...

If I had been 25 in 1985 with the life knowledge I do now I'dve been in Miami living the life.  

It was all so fresh & new then.  Everything was so interesting.  

• Like 3

Hey ZAQ, S.FL,

I don't get to this topic much, basically because nothing fits me.  I'm 6-8 and about 300 lbs. so size 42 is for a little guy.  I actually wear a 54 x-long jacket, so basically... I have a navy blazer.  I do have a short sleeve Henley or two, but in black and gray.  That's about the closest I can get.  LOL!  It's fun to pop over to the fashion section once in a while, though, to see what you guys are up to.   Now that I think of it, I do have a couple of guayaberas like Switek sometimes wore.  That may be the closest I get.

I live the life in other ways.  I live at a marina in Long Beach CA, which has some real similarities to Miami.  They filmed CSI Miami here, in fact.  I have an old sailboat and my wife has a convertible I drive every once in a while. 

• Like 2

I’d say you’re doing just fine! Here in NH I’ve been seeing 80s styling & colors coming back. I have a Henley in just about every color you’d want them in lol.

11 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I’d say you’re doing just fine! Here in NH I’ve been seeing 80s styling & colors coming back. I have a Henley in just about every color you’d want them in lol.

New Hampshire is a little less tropical!  LOL!  I have family in Quebec, Canada, the Jersey Shore, and Pittsburgh (go Bucs!) who give me a tough time for being soft, living on the SoCal coast.  :)

Here's a couple of pics like the guayaberas like I have.  They didn't cost that much though!!!

https://www.gstyleusa.com/products/mens-short-sleeve-cuban-guayabera-shirt-2000-1-black?variant=20224510785

https://www.endclothing.com/us/gitman-vintage-short-sleeve-guayabera-bowling-shirt-gvcp-q463-41.html

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy. I have a pair of shorts in that EXACT style. A size 40 is a bit big for me (especially if it's a regular instead of a short. I'll make sure to ask the seller). But then again, for that price I may have to give in!!

• 2 weeks later...