Jerry B.

Ways to live the style

Recommended Posts

Tony D.
4 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Jerry B, great post and still alive as of today! Lol

I use a touch of MV/80s style  (sometimes a bit more) into my daily style here in NH without being too stand outish. Dress pants, boat shoes w/ no socks, henleys and 80s color palettes. I was just in Lumberton, NC this past weekend & while out to dinner I heard someone say he didn't know it was Miami Vice night lol. Made we proud to represent! The 80s lives on forever.

Every night is Miami Vice, night! ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZAQ 178
43 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Every night is Miami Vice, night! ;)

Got that right pal!:thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jenny

theres a lot of 80's fashion coming back in style!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vicefan7777
On 8/6/2017 at 10:42 AM, jenny said:

theres a lot of 80's fashion coming back in style!

Jenny, just curious if you have found the dresses you were looking for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jenny
2 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Jenny, just curious if you have found the dresses you were looking for? 

I found a few on etsy and I'm still searching other sites!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vicegirl85

Another option:  you can look at vintage patterns, choose some you like, and have them made up for you.  Lots of vintage patterns on eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jenny
57 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Another option:  you can look at vintage patterns, choose some you like, and have them made up for you.  Lots of vintage patterns on eBay.

oh, I didn't think of that!   great option!   Ill have to do that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett

Pretty sure I've seen this before but I could not find it in here with a quick search, so for any interested here it is again:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vicefan7777
On 9/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Pretty sure I've seen this before but I could not find it in here with a quick search, so for any interested here it is again:

 

I have seen this.  Makes me laugh when we are told Sonny's blazers where tossed on the floor to give them at special look.  At times when I wear my wrinkled blazers my wife comments that they need to be ironed.  She just doesn't understand.  LOL

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
12 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I have seen this.  Makes me laugh when we are told Sonny's blazers where tossed on the floor to give them at special look.  At times when I wear my wrinkled blazers my wife comments that they need to be ironed.  She just doesn't understand.  LOL

lol...I do know what you mean. I drove the Daytona to an office Halloween party once wearing a white and somewhat wrinkled unconstructed blazer and noticed some looks directed at the wrinkles in my jacket. They just didn't get it. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king77
14 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I have seen this.  Makes me laugh when we are told Sonny's blazers where tossed on the floor to give them at special look.  At times when I wear my wrinkled blazers my wife comments that they need to be ironed.  She just doesn't understand.  LOL

I lived on a 35' boat with a buddy for a couple of years. Just about everything I wore was wrinkled, it was a space thing, with only so much closet space, everything else kinda just got laid on something. It changed me to the point that even my t-shirts now need to be hung on a hanger. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Party_car1

Old thread I know , but I was also in my 20's when the show aired . At the time I lived in Los Angeles near the beach . I adopted the style immediately as did most young men my age . The music was the music of my generation and I cling to it now just as my parents clung to the music of their youth . How can you not ? Music of your youth stays with you because it creates memories of that time in your life .

Today , I still listen to the music at home and in my car . I have different looks for different days . Other than at work , because I wear a uniform , I have somerhing Vice on . For lazy days off rather I'm going to the movies or taking my kid to the state fair , I go with a stripped down , season 1 Crockett style . Tee shirt and light or thin linen pants and the ol' deck shoes without socks and no jacket when it's hot .

If I'm going to dinner with friends or a family gathering such as a wedding or when I'm going to church , I go with the more dapper , season 2 look with the leather loafers or espadrille along with full jacket and pants . The season 1 look Sonny had was more suited for day to day wear than the more tailored and coordinated look of season 2 , at least in my opinion . It's been suggested that in season 1 , Sonny dressed like he put on the cleanest thing that happened to be on the floor next to his bed and I agree with that assessment . That's pretty much my daily look .

I have seen the MV look go in and out of style and I have persisted all the way through . Even when it was " out of style " I was always able to find clothing and shoes inspired by MV so I don't think it's ever completely gone out of style . Today , if you go clothes and shoes hunting , you can find plenty of color in men's clothes and shoes that , while not exactly what Sonny wore , are very , very close . Today's blazers and trousers are cut differently than they were in the 80's of course but you can see the influence of the show creeping back into the mainstream of men's fashion . As someone else in this thread said , the look is timeless . I've never worried about what anybody thought of the way I dress and even as a 53 year old I can still pull it off and the looks still turn people's heads .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jenny
On 10/27/2017 at 10:18 AM, Party_car1 said:

Old thread I know , but I was also in my 20's when the show aired . At the time I lived in Los Angeles near the beach . I adopted the style immediately as did most young men my age . The music was the music of my generation and I cling to it now just as my parents clung to the music of their youth . How can you not ? Music of your youth stays with you because it creates memories of that time in your life .

Today , I still listen to the music at home and in my car . I have different looks for different days . Other than at work , because I wear a uniform , I have somerhing Vice on . For lazy days off rather I'm going to the movies or taking my kid to the state fair , I go with a stripped down , season 1 Crockett style . Tee shirt and light or thin linen pants and the ol' deck shoes without socks and no jacket when it's hot .

If I'm going to dinner with friends or a family gathering such as a wedding or when I'm going to church , I go with the more dapper , season 2 look with the leather loafers or espadrille along with full jacket and pants . The season 1 look Sonny had was more suited for day to day wear than the more tailored and coordinated look of season 2 , at least in my opinion . It's been suggested that in season 1 , Sonny dressed like he put on the cleanest thing that happened to be on the floor next to his bed and I agree with that assessment . That's pretty much my daily look .

I have seen the MV look go in and out of style and I have persisted all the way through . Even when it was " out of style " I was always able to find clothing and shoes inspired by MV so I don't think it's ever completely gone out of style . Today , if you go clothes and shoes hunting , you can find plenty of color in men's clothes and shoes that , while not exactly what Sonny wore , are very , very close . Today's blazers and trousers are cut differently than they were in the 80's of course but you can see the influence of the show creeping back into the mainstream of men's fashion . As someone else in this thread said , the look is timeless . I've never worried about what anybody thought of the way I dress and even as a 53 year old I can still pull it off and the looks still turn people's heads .

Yea, same for women's clothes too!  I see dresses, tops and pants with the same cut that Trudy and Gina wore on the show.   Skinny jeans with stilettos are back in style, the way they were in the 80's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chloe

My 20 year old daughter bought this top last week...velvet, lace AND a peplum hem :D

This pleases me 

received_10213745249561061.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZAQ 178

It seems a big part of Sonny’s look was the 3 color palette. Usually, pants, shirt & jacket colors were all different. Damn I like that look! Rocking it today and have been quit a bit lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now