Where did our members go?

Tony D.

Over the past year, I've been busy & only looked in here every couple of months. Therefore, I missed some of my MV friends' birthdays & some cool Topics. I plan on visiting this site every few days, at least.

While looking through some old Topics, it's very sad to see many of my old friends missing for many months or years.

Where did these once active members go?? Everyone knows that COOP just disappeared for over a year, without any notice.

Just to name a few....where is, Rodriquezisdead, Tommy Vercetti, Gypsy, Prickleferret, spyder and many others?

For this website to continue there must be new & interesting Miami Vice Topics that the members contribute to.

Episode reviews are a good way to keep interest alive. Even a one line comment or a 1 to 10 rating will keep us going.

Please post ....Miami Vice, Fans !!

• Like 6

I agree Tony, the site could use topics that generate interest and posts.  People, even those who have been active members for years, tend to come and go on internet forums.  I think it is the "nature of the beast," people get busy and their interests change over time.  Chris has done an amazing job with this site, the best format yet, and it's too bad the site is not clogged with posts. Trivia has been popular from time to time.  I ran a neon trivia game for years and have tried many times to resurrect location trivia but only a few location fanatics like me ever got involved.  Plus we lost some of the best sleuths like DanJ and airtommy.  The new song title trivia game has possibilities.  How about a poll listing all types of trivia where members can vote on what type of Vice trivia they would most like to see?  What do you think Lou, Chris, Matt?    

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

I agree guys...I lurk a lot, but I thought attendance was down a bit. I hope some of the old members pop back up. It is good to see new members. Maybe a contest would pick things up.

• Like 1

I agree guys...I lurk a lot, but I thought attendance was down a bit. I hope some of the old members pop back up. It is good to see new members. Maybe a contest would pick things up.

Good points guys :D  :fireworks:  :dance2: 

Jim... I should have called this Topic..."WHY did our members go?"

The site is very attractive but I still find it a little confusing to find posts on Topics which are a few days old.

Trivia is fine, but it seems like something that has to be done while people are on line with a back & forth, question & answer session. That's why I like episode reviews....A member can post his review & wait a few days for any comments or additions to it. Even if no one comments, the review is out there for all to see.

Anyone have more ideas?

I dont know, I just try and keep the thing going with posts in the car thread and that kinda thing to see if anyone bites really, same thing with the gun thread. which I started as purely an enthast kinda deal but unfortunately it had to shift to political conversations given what's happened in the past couple of years.

and how gun people are being scape goated all over the east coast for every little bad thing that happens, and the stats as John Loch (sorry its Lott, not Lock) in Chicago, a college professor obama knew for those shootings have been greatly exagerated from Bloombers report, like GOAL found out here where they count Justfiable self defense and sucides as part of the gun crime stats, which make up 66% of their exagerated stats just in MA alone!

and they considered anything that happened within a block of the school as a school shooting for there statistc of 74 shootings at schools a year for the bloomber report, when its truely closer to 13 even at its worst last year, and while one is too many thats still quite the exageration!

sorry I just found this out like the last Bloody week and its been on my mind since then really and also I havent seen the texan guy I was talking to primarly in awhile too.

plus I must wonder if Coop is trying to leave california like a lot of people are because of the taxes and the high density of people and thus is stuck shifting his life around for it, as with the climate here in MA its really starting to look dark and bleak too,

hell Tommorow could very well be the final nail in the coffin for this place because of some new even worse gun control law that there going to vote on, I mean I am eventually going to leave MA and Head for South Dakota, but that will really speed it up.

so we really dont know how many people are in those kind of boats, hell even Victor seems to be in quite the similar situation over where he lives.

so that could really be a contributor to this as well, I mean the more I thought about all of the above for the past 6 months I really cant get a daytona replica while Im here in MA just because of the damn taxes, lack of usable garage, road conditions, in addition to the fact that moves are expensive.

I mean I dont even have a bloody air conditioner for god sakes or a second bathroom.

now imagine that for other MV memorablia for Coop, hell he's in a state that makes MA look like a vacation spot, atleast at present.

and also as a final aside, I put in for the Utah multi state Licence just 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

The site is very attractive but I still find it a little confusing to find posts on Topics which are a few days old. 

I find the "Recent Posts" and "Recent Topics" boxes confusing.  It seems a bit redundant and unwieldy.    

Exactly, mirrorimageegamirorrim !  Out of 10 possibilities, there are 3 or 4 different Topics and the rest are repeats.

yeah and also beforehand it seemed like you would see part of the posting of the thread to see what exactly was said on it, which would be abit more eye catching that seeing a simple update on it.

plus I must wonder if Coop is trying to leave california like a lot of people are because of the taxes and the high density of people and thus is stuck shifting his life around for it, as with the climate here in MA its really starting to look dark and bleak too,

That's something I never thought of, it kind of explains his sabbatical. He needs to get set-up elsewhere before he can fully come back plus given how poor the internet is in this country in a lot of places I wouldn't be surprised if major internet trouble is also a possibility in his case.

As for losing members, it just kind of happens on forums. Forums in general aren't attracting members like they used to due to the rise of social media and just a general disinterest in things.

That's something I never thought of, it kind of explains his sabbatical. He needs to get set-up elsewhere before he can fully come back plus given how poor the internet is in this country in a lot of places I wouldn't be surprised if major internet trouble is also a possibility in his case.

As for losing members, it just kind of happens on forums. Forums in general aren't attracting members like they used to due to the rise of social media and just a general disinterest in things.

Good point about social media agent, facebook twitter etc. provide an outlet for some people who like to chat.  However I think this site is the best social media site around.

Edited by miamijimf

I for one don't see Facebook lasting all that long, and likely going the way of Myspace and some other media.

See http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/10593826/Facebook-will-die-out-like-the-bubonic-plague.html  for an interesting perspective on this.

Personally I have not had the desire to create an account and get deluged with mindless updates from "friends" or endless marketing ads. Btw, there are huge personal info privacy concerns raised recently about Facebook as well that should give many reason to pause.

Not sure why we have seen the falloff in here, perhaps it is the short term explosion of social media or perhaps the more active past members had other life events that took precedence. Stuff happens, as they say.

Getting new members to participate is key to gaining fresh insights, new topics, or even new takes on old topics.

Just my two cents, but I think a rotating group of forum members is probably inevitable.  Think about it.  There hasn't been any new content to talk about since the last episode in 1989, 25 years ago!  People discover the forum, find out all kinds of cool things about the show they never knew, but after a while they move on.  I don't think the majority of people can watch the same episode over and over.  Some certainly can, but many just, as I have done, move on.  When I discovered the forum several years ago, I hadn't even seen the show for a decade or more, but it was nostalgic, and I enjoyed reading what people had to say.  I got back into watching the show, but after several cycles through, I found myself looking for other things to watch.  I found some forums for those shows and participated in those, but I'm sure this cycle will continue.  It's just may be human nature to look for something new.

For you long-time members, your continued enthusiasm is impressive, but I don't think most people are capable of that.  I still marvel at the excitement Coop seemed to sustain for so long, but his current absence may indicate even he needed a respite.  If some new content came along, like a reboot, I think you'd see the forum light up with all kinds of opinions.  I wasn't involved when the film came out, but I would wager interest peaked and comments good and bad came flying in to the old forum.  A little shot in the arm seems necessary.  Unfortunately, I think none of us are in a position to provide it, no matter how much we might want it.

• Like 1

For you long-time members, your continued enthusiasm is impressive, but I don't think most people are capable of that.  I still marvel at the excitement Coop seemed to sustain for so long, but his current absence may indicate even he needed a respite.  If some new content came along, like a reboot, I think you'd see the forum light up with all kinds of opinions.  I wasn't involved when the film came out, but I would wager interest peaked and comments good and bad came flying in to the old forum.  A little shot in the arm seems necessary.  Unfortunately, I think none of us are in a position to provide it, no matter how much we might want it.

I have tried my best to keep things interesting on this forum by posting things that maybe people missed and starting somewhat intelligent threads, etc., it's all about trying to keep it fresh (like the article I posted today).  But to be quite honest, I've actually been holding back on posting here because the response (as of late) to anything I've posted has been less than stellar, which tells me maybe it's time to move on. Bottom line: The sense of camaraderie that was once on this site seems to be lost (for whatever reason), which is really quite sad.  

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 2

I haven't bothered to post on here in recent months because when I have, about filming locations, it was virtually ignored except for one maybe two members. Others were jumping in over my posts, replying to each other & not bothering to mention any of my input which included photos of Miami Beach. Nor was I interested in reading endless posts on who was the sexiest woman in Vice. I know we all have our interests within the series but there used to be a real feeling of camaraderie on the site and there used to be communication within the group NOT just within a few pals where one feels an outsider if you are not within this select few. This is my 2 cents.

(Oh, and although my profile says to the contrary, I have been a member since this group on the German site began, a year before the previous Dutch-owned site went belly-up. It's just after the site was hacked, my profile was lost. Therefore being on here as a long-time member, I know what it used to be like on both sites)

Edited by CarolineUK
  • Like 2

Exactly, mirrorimageegamirorrim !  Out of 10 possibilities, there are 3 or 4 different Topics and the rest are repeats.

Glad I'm not the only one confused by the set-up.  By the way, I'm sorry you had to write my full name!  For short, you and everybody else can just call me MIIM. 

It's good to get this input from members like MVNYC, Agent 47, Sonny- Burnett & Pahonu. You all made some points that I never thought of....like having Topics that have some substance to them & how people are using Facebook instead of posting here.

Saundra Santiago, Phannie Napoli & other actors from Miami Vice are constantly on Facebook but never post on this site.

We are their fans, not people on Facebook!

P.S. Thanks, MIIM.....it did take me long to write your full name. It's cool though.

Edited by Tony D.

other life events that took precedence. Stuff happens, as they say.

That's why I didn't post for ages, about two years. I unfortunately went through a very bad, bleak and painful period and the show wasn't the first thing on my mind then. Plus I was busy with college then too but now that's finished and we're in a Great Depression so there's sweet F.A to do! The Pistols got it right in '77. 'No future'. It's still the same

The glory days for this site was when it first started in 08 and the years following it. Those were great days. Life was better back then too.I miss those days.

It's difficult coming up with new topics because between here and the old days on .org we've probably talked about very facet of the show it's possible to talk about. We need something like a TV reunion with the original cast and Mann producing

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
  • Like 3

and the thing that really keeps it going is the fan fare and how the show and the stuff in it influences our lives, such as the adoption of the styles and the stuff used in the show.

hell one must wonder what this site would look like if it wasnt for Rockstars Vice City and Vice City Stories really, given the heavy ties it had to Vice and introducing it to a new generation.

plus we had the Vice movie in 06. so from 02 to 06 with Vice, VCS and the Movie we had that kind of coverage for it.

not to mention nash Bridges in the 1990's and the parallels there, plus burn notice and the influences it took from Vice.

hell in a way this babies just like the bren ten, it just wont die lol

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

That's why I didn't post for ages, about two years. I unfortunately went through a very bad, bleak and painful period and the show wasn't the first thing on my mind then. Plus I was busy with college then too but now that's finished and we're in a Great Depression so there's sweet F.A to do! The Pistols got it right in '77. 'No future'. It's still the same

The glory days for this site was when it first started in 08 and the years following it. Those were great days. Life was better back then too.I miss those days.

It's difficult coming up with new topics because between here and the old days on .org we've probably talked about very facet of the show it's possible to talk about. We need something like a TV reunion with the original cast and Mann producing

Welcome back Tommy, hope things are cool now.  

Glad to see you back Tommy V. Sorry about your troubles.

You're right about a TV reunion with the original cast bringing new life to Miami Vice.  If that doesn't happen, everyone  watching one episode a week from the DVDs and posting a short critique & rating it from 1 to 10, would give our members something to focus on and learn from.

This site is so awesome!  I love the camraderie here.  When my wife was sick, and getting sicker, I would put her to bed and put on an episode of Vice.  I would simultaneously hop on here and check out for a while.  It was such a refuge.

And when my wife passed, so many of you were so thoughtful with your private and public messages of support.  I will always remember and be grateful for that.

Now, I keep Vice alive not just for myself, but also for the memory of my wife who supported my Vice obsession.  This site will always have my back and Vice versa.

Lately, I've been posting on Instagram, spreading the Vice love.  Today I went to Opening Day at the Del Mar race track.  I was so excited to wear my white jacket and a pastel blue shirt.  I posted my pic on instagram (my name on there is pcnordy if anyone wants to follow). 

I keep meaning to post on here more.  Now, I will.  I love this place!

• Like 6

• Administrators

I don't know, the site was pretty much dead when I signed up, it has picked up a bit since then.

Edited by SL1DE

I'm pretty new here but I understand what you guys mean.  I think this site is fantastic and I appreciate all the long hours of hard work it must have taken to make it what it is today.  All the information here is incredible!  All of the members that have contributed so much should all be very proud of themselves.  It gives new members like me the chance to learn things that we may have been wondering for years! :fireworks:

It takes more than a few members to keep a place like this alive and buzzing, and unfortunately, as many reasons have been stated, life sometimes gets in the way.  I can only hope the members that are active now, stay active.  For myself, I would love to post new information or some great insight into why I love this episode so much or whatever it may be, but I only have so much expertise in that area.  I would love to be a master at all the trivia too, but unfortunately, I'm just not that great at it, but I like trying when I can! :p   Anyway, all I wanted to say is I hope our love for Miami Vice doesn't diminish anytime soon as I plan on being around for a while.  I've made a few nice acquaintances here and that's always a very cool thing.  

Thanks to everyone for keeping this wonderful place around.   :D

• Like 4

That's exactly what I was getting at.  Many of you post lots of interesting things about your travels or news about one of the stars.  I usually look, but don't comment a lot, I have to admit.  Something big, however, would really get the comments coming in and probably lots of new members.