Inactive MV Members

Tony D.

When are inactive Miami Vice members no longer considered to still be called ...a member?

I've been looking through our List of Members for some friends and happened to notice interesting names, so I clicked on quite a few and found :

Joined - Sept. 14,  2008

Last Visited -  Sept. 15, 2008

Posts -  0

Friends - hasn't made any friends yet

How can people who signed up for one day & haven't been back for 6 years be called a member?

I know life gets in the way, it's happened to me for a few months, but to join as a member and never post or visit anymore should not be acceptable!

Shouldn't there be a minimum # of posts for a person to be called a member of this site?  ?(

Might be a good idea to clear out some of these never-posters and make the Member Search more easy to search.

Maybe Ferrariman and Caipi can weigh in on this.

• Like 2

• Administrators

A clean up may be a good idea. Delete the user with the "James" username, and give it to me.  :)

There are so many people with 0 posts... Why register if you aren't going to post?

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

@ SL1DE & Victor :

The Administration should have a rule that a Member must post at least once a year. Otherwise, they will be dropped & have to join again under a different name.

@ SL1DE & Victor :The Administration should have a rule that a Member must post at least once a year. Otherwise, they will be dropped & have to join again under a different name.

Very good point - I noticed that also - so many inactive members !!

:D

• Administrators

@ SL1DE & Victor :The Administration should have a rule that a Member must post at least once a year. Otherwise, they will be dropped & have to join again under a different name.

Yes, that's a good idea.

I done some research and there isn't a plugin for IPBoard which does it automatically though. That'll be a lot of work for Victor. :pI don't know if there's an option to delete inactive accounts, I just installed IPBoard on my forums irrelevant to Miami Vice, and I haven't seen an option for it.

• 1 year later...
On July 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Tony D. said:

@ SL1DE & Victor :

The Administration should have a rule that a Member must post at least once a year. Otherwise, they will be dropped & have to join again under a different name.

This is a terrible idea.

We should only delete accounts which have never made a post.  Plenty of major contributors take years off from posting.

• Like 3

I belong to another forum (that uses vbulletin) and if a member hasn't visited the board in a year, they are dropped.  However, the total membership is much lower than this board, and I believe that membership pruning is done manually by an admin (I am not an admin on that board).  

I think it's useful to require some level of participation from members--even if it was decided to keep active members who had made significant contributions to the site in the past but are lo longer actively posting.  Someone who joined 5 years ago and has never posted will probably not notice or care that they've been dropped.  

But if pruning must be done manually, it could be very burdensome to the admin who is responsible for that. 

• Administrators

With the time I have, this admin will not be going through 6000 members to to delete non posters. No harm in leaving them there. It's not like it costs us anything more to have them.

• Like 1

You're probably right Timm, It would take a lot of time to drop people & the membership would drop drastically.

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

Plenty of major contributors take years off from posting.

To be clear, I should have quoted the part my "amen" was about. I never know when my next hiatus is coming, but I've never stopped watching the show, or listening to the music, and you guys are always here, and it's always great!

I agree with Airtomy and Timm...

It would take incredible manhours to delete something that is doing no harm. Leave it be. People who are interested will return and maybe even post. Killing their account would just be a slap in the face if they ever did return to participate.

We should be cordial and inviting, not exclusionary

Just my two cents.................................

• Like 2

I am in total agreement with Stinger390X.  This is a site of friends with a common interest.  I understand personal matters can take members away for a long time, so keeping the profiles active is a good idea. 

Well, I think pruning out the people who register, don't post, and don't visit for many years is a good idea, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

It's not true that there's no harm at all in leaving them.  They are occupying usernames that other people might want.

• 1 month later...

To clean up the list of non posters, a Bash/Awk script applied to DB with one of multiple possible tools comes to mind. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Mister Roman said:

To clean up the list of non posters, a Bash/Awk script applied to DB with one of multiple possible tools comes to mind. 

There should be something in the Admin CP which does it automatically, most forum softwares do have something for it.

1 hour ago, James said:

There should be something in the Admin CP which does it automatically, most forum softwares do have something for it.

Right, though what brought the suggestion to mind was your earlier post about no plugin for it. Yes I see post is from a couple of years ago, yet with proprietary software such as this I would not be surprised. 

If anything, I think deleting non posters such as the example Tony D. wisely pointed out, would free up some usernames for people who will post and contribute. 

Disclaimer: I am very biased in favor of Bash/Awk. 

• Administrators

I'll take another look.

Edit: Yeah, you still can't do it with IP Board which is lame. There's a plugin for it, but I don't have access to the IP Board account. I would do it from the database but only if the others think it's a good idea to delete a majority of member accounts.

• Administrators

The old site used to give the admin the option to "prune" members who had not posted in a designated amount of time. 6 months, 1 year, etc.  Though I don't believe this was ever actually done. The main reason was that the sheer number of members was impressive to see even if the members weren't active.  There are several things to consider here with such an action.

1. Just because a member doesn't post, does not mean he or she is inactive. Many like to just browse and if you haven't noticed, there is even the option to login anonymously.

2. If our only members were people who post we would be a very small group. If you take notice, aside from the occasional new member who posts, it's always the same dozen or so members who post regularly. 

3. I often get e-mails from past members asking for my help because they forgot their login info. I enjoy helping these fans and would hate to have to tell any of them "oh, sorry, you've been deleted"   Yes I occasionally get a "blast from the past"!

4.   The amount of work, as was stated, would be endless. The old site gave the number of posts next to a members name. This version doesn't so every member would have to be individually looked at!  All things considered I agree with Tim.  The zero posters aren't hurting anyone so just let them be.

airtommy brought up the issue of inactive members taking up good usernames that someone may want.  All I can say is, if you like a specific username and it's taken, simply e-mail me about it. I will check into that person's account history and use my personal judgement. If possible, I will delete that user and allow that name to be used again

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

3. I often get e-mails from past members asking for my help because they forgot their login info. I enjoy helping these fans and would hate to have to tell any of them "oh, sorry, you've been deleted"   Yes I occasionally get a "blast from the past"!

4.   The amount of work, as was stated, would be endless. The old site gave the number of posts next to a members name. This version doesn't so every member would have to be individually looked at! 

I'll bet the farm 100% of those emails are from posters, not lurkers.

I volunteered to do the work, so that is moot.

People who register, don't post, and don't visit should be deleted at some point.