007 - 50 years of Bond villains exhibition

CarolineUK

As a lot of members are interested in cars, gadgets and films, below is a link to the photographs I took this May in Washington DC at the International Spy museum: it is from the incredible 007 - 50 years of Bond villains. It is really worth seeing but I couldn't get pictures from all movies as there were school parties in there. What amazed me most were the models they used in View to a Kill, Moonraker and Goldeneye - they were so small. It was great to see so many iconic pieces. I'd love to return there as there was too much to take in on one visit in this exhibition and in the main part of the museum all about real-life spies & espionage. Hope you like the pictures

http://s988.photobucket.com/user/suzyuk111/library/007%20-%2050%20years%20of%20Bond%20villains

• Like 2

WOW....very cool and great pictures!

I had no idea there was such a place. Is this a permanent museum and this is a temporary exhibit within?

I'm a big Bond fan and have been for years. Picked up the complete collection of movies some years back on DVD and have the last few in Blu-ray.

The pic of the Aston Martin DB5...is that also a small model?  I remember reading that one of the actual cars used in the films was sold a few years back I think with an asking price of around $4Million.

• Like 1

WOW....very cool and great pictures!

I had no idea there was such a place. Is this a permanent museum and this is a temporary exhibit within?

I'm a big Bond fan and have been for years. Picked up the complete collection of movies some years back on DVD and have the last few in Blu-ray.

The pic of the Aston Martin DB5...is that also a small model?  I remember reading that one of the actual cars used in the films was sold a few years back I think with an asking price of around $4Million.

Thanks, Sonny-Burnett! Yes, it was a great place to visit. I didn't have time to see it last year when I was in DC so I was determined to go there this time. I believe it is permanent though you never know. It takes up about half of the building: the other half is the actual International Spy museum which is also awesome with all sorts of actual gadgets used by spies - cameras, listening devices, drop logs (if you want to leave something in a forest), pigeon cameras, even one of the Enigma machines from WW2. You walk around and can participate in a spying mission (you can if there aren't loads of children beating you to every workstation lol)

The Bond exhibition is divided into sections dependent on each of the villains (some are in the Cold War section; drugs & thugs etc.). I loved seeing the props and costumes from the earlier Bond films which I've seen more often over the years. Later today I will add the pictures of  Little Nelly to my photobucket site - I saw it in a London film museum.

The DB5 was real - it was beautiful as was the green car from Die another day. The one from Skyfall didn't come out very well because the room dedicated to the film was black & silver with bright lights so it was hard to get decent photos as you couldn't dodge the reflections. All the vehicles were well protected with notices around saying do not touch as cars are alarmed. Given the authentic items in the place and what they must be worth, the building must have amazing security.

The International spy museum has a good website if anyone wants further info on the main exhibits or the Bond ones.

• Like 1

Thanks, Sonny-Burnett! Yes, it was a great place to visit. I didn't have time to see it last year when I was in DC so I was determined to go there this time. I believe it is permanent though you never know. It takes up about half of the building: the other half is the actual International Spy museum which is also awesome with all sorts of actual gadgets used by spies - cameras, listening devices, drop logs (if you want to leave something in a forest), pigeon cameras, even one of the Enigma machines from WW2. You walk around and can participate in a spying mission (you can if there aren't loads of children beating you to every workstation lol)

The Bond exhibition is divided into sections dependent on each of the villains (some are in the Cold War section; drugs & thugs etc.). I loved seeing the props and costumes from the earlier Bond films which I've seen more often over the years. Later today I will add the pictures of  Little Nelly to my photobucket site - I saw it in a London film museum.

The DB5 was real - it was beautiful as was the green car from Die another day. The one from Skyfall didn't come out very well because the room dedicated to the film was black & silver with bright lights so it was hard to get decent photos as you couldn't dodge the reflections. All the vehicles were well protected with notices around saying do not touch as cars are alarmed. Given the authentic items in the place and what they must be worth, the building must have amazing security.

The International spy museum has a good website if anyone wants further info on the main exhibits or the Bond ones.

Very nice. I'd be interested in visiting this museum as well as I have been a Bond fan for many years, and read all the Fleming books back in the day as part of a college class. Little Nelly was the small chopper in You Only Live Twice I believe. Pretty sure I read that was an actual working mini helicopter and was flown during the show.

Ah so the DB5 was a real car. Wow I'd love to see that and better yet sit in the car but I know that would be disallowed.

• Like 1

Very nice. I'd be interested in visiting this museum as well as I have been a Bond fan for many years, and read all the Fleming books back in the day as part of a college class. Little Nelly was the small chopper in You Only Live Twice I believe. Pretty sure I read that was an actual working mini helicopter and was flown during the show.

Ah so the DB5 was a real car. Wow I'd love to see that and better yet sit in the car but I know that would be disallowed.

Great to see  :D  :fireworks:

• Like 1

You couldn't get that near the DB5 for security :( It was so cool in the main part of the museum working a facsimile of an Enigma machine to transcribe messages. And people wonder why I love DC :)

Little Nelly is posted - it wasn't that small & my daughter was delighted to see it as YOLT is her fave Bond film.