Miami Vice vs. Magnum P.I. - The Ultimate Battle

MiamiCop123

"A-Team"? ... Check please!

The A-Team is one show that has NOT held up well for me. I loved it to death when it first came to TV Land in the late-90's/early-2000's, but geez, you seen one you seen them all. Still, Hannibal was the dude, I liked him more than Mr. T (!).IMO, of course.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MiamiCop123

• Lar

• timm525

• agent 47

• Administrators

"A-Team"? ... Check please!

I don't want to hijack this thread here but the A-Team was just silly. The entire US government/military is after them in their Black GMC van but can't find them. But every local yocal with a silly problem knows exactly how to contact and hire them.Oh please!OK, rant over, back to your regularly stationed program. :)

Magnum was okay but, let's face it, as well written as Murder, She Wrote (off topic:aAm I the only one who thinks Misses Fletcher is commiting all the murders?) Vice is Michael Mann, 'nuff said. (I know he didn't write it but you can see his influence.)

Guys, could we please stay on topic? This is about Magnum and Vice, not A-Team. Don't get me angry when you start talking about the A-Team.:evil:

Magnum was okay but' date=' let's face it, as well written as Murder, She Wrote (off topic:aAm I the only one who thinks Misses Fletcher is commiting all the murders?) Vice is Michael Mann, 'nuff said. (I know he didn't write it but you can see his influence.)[/quote']Actually, most eps of Magnum are pretty well written, some very much so. I tended to like the more serious eps, although the lighter ones had their moments, too. My absolute faves are when they found an excuse to set the story in the past -- like when Magnum was a 1940s detective.

I agree with Viceman Cometh and Lar. Very true, but Magnum stayed alive on television for eight years with 156 episodes (on the CBS network, rivals of NBC which showed Vice). But oh well, Vice's bad episodes were WORSE than Magnums.

WORSE than Magnums.

Good points. CBS was NBC's rival, but Magnum wasn't really MVs, which meant fans of both could be happy back in the day. Magnum was on Thursdays (where it eventually got clobbered by The Cosby Show), MV was Fridays. I think Dallas (that was on CBS, right?) was the bigger rival, at least from S3 onward.I agree, Missing Hours is ten times worse than Magnum's weakest output.

Miami Vice....Magnum P.I.??? Can you say: "apples and oranges???" (Or: "Honey, will you please wake me when that Tom Selleck show is over...")Magnum always made endless attempts at being pseudo cerebral....and succeeded!!!!!Miami Vice just simply was what it was.Any questions?????

But I have to say, Magnum P.I. had an awesome theme song, of course not as good as Vice's Jan Hammer piece but it's awesome, and who wouldn't want those choppers they fly on Magnum?

Agent47, don't forget about the amazing Ferrari Magnum drove. But the Testarossa and the Daytona Spyder are just as good as the 308GTS.:)

I don't know, I love the Ferrari's on MV, but if I had to choose between either one of them and the 308GTS...well, that's a decision I hope never have to make (okay, okay, I'd love to have to make that decision. Unless there was an original Daytona, though, I think I'd take the 308GTS)!

• Administrators

Yes that is a tough one. :confused:I love the red 308 but the Daytona (the fake one looks better to me than the real one) is top shelf too.I guess my answer would be, I'll have one of all the above. :)I'd take the 308.

The 308 is an awesome looking car, I've always thought that. But compared to other Ferraris, it's a bit slow. As far as style though, out of the 3 we've listed, it's got an unmistakable look.When you see a 308, you KNOW what it is. Maybe that's partly due to the MPI show. And it has a wonderful sound. I saw a black one back in the mid 90's that was just beautiful. The paint on it seemed like it was 20ft deep. :thumbsup:

308...?Very uncomfortable car to drive...(made for very short Italian guys...no offense) I'm 5'8 and barely fit inside the thing!!!! The one I drove was incredibly fast though!I prefer the Daytona myself.As for Magnum vs MV I think they both had their own appeal. Magnum was the fairytale land of Hawaii. Exotic as it was, the criminals were "drama clean" and always "the bad guys" The good guys were always defined (of course) and so you have the battle between good and evil, and of course prime time TV...the good guys always win.Higgins was comic relief just as Noogie and our beloved favourite Cuban refugee...choogotitmang! Izzie was priceless actually.Although both Mv and Magnum had palm trees, it showed the lifestyles of the rich and infamous. However...in MV there was an invisible line between good and evil and the evil was really bad! (at least for prime time circa 1980's. Please disregard "ELgatto" as he was just bad/I never liked that character anyway/no horrible is a better word) The line between right and wrong were questioned in episodes such as the Hackman stories, and of course the Burnett triology.So in closing I liked both, but they faired well in thier own audience, so if you held a gun to my head to choose.......I pick Miami Vice for sure.

• Administrators

The line between right and wrong were questioned in episodes such as the Hackman stories, and of course the Burnett triology.So in closing I liked both, but they faired well in thier own audience, so if you held a gun to my head to choose.......I pick Miami Vice for sure.

I agree with you complete here, but Magnum did have a dark ep. too in which he kills Ivan (his nemisis for Vietnam) in cold blood IIRC. Can't recall the title. Maybe something like "Did you see the sun Rise"?