Miami Vice vs. Magnum P.I. - The Ultimate Battle

MiamiCop123

Wow Timm thanks for sharing...I was not aware of that episode. I did watch Magnum quite religioulsly and tried not to miss an episode, but I don't recall that one. For that matter.........................I missed the final episode (had to work late that night) and never did get to see who the heck Robin really was?I heard it was really Higgins??????????????????????????

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MiamiCop123

• Lar

• timm525

• agent 47

• Administrators
Did you see the sun rise?"The past comes back to haunt T.C. when an old war buddy arrives with a warning that the brutal colonel who held them captive in a Vietnamese P.O.W. camp is after them once again. The action continues in this two-part episode as Magnum, T.C. and their comrade race to find their would-be killer before he finds them."I don't think they ever really cleared up if Higgins was Rogin. I think so.Another great ep. on "is Higgins, Robin?" was "Paper Wars" where they get into a tit for tat fight. They ended up stuck in the elevator at the end in the building that was to be demolished.

308...?Very uncomfortable car to drive...(made for very short Italian guys...no offense) I'm 5'8 and barely fit inside the thing!!!! The one I drove was incredibly fast though!

From what I've heard, they had to rip that thing apart and modify it to get Tom Selleck to fit.

Did you see the sun rise?"The past comes back to haunt T.C. when an old war buddy arrives with a warning that the brutal colonel who held them captive in a Vietnamese P.O.W. camp is after them once again. The action continues in this two-part episode as Magnum' date=' T.C. and their comrade race to find their would-be killer before he finds them."[/quote']You know, DYSTSR? is a classic episode, but the whole plot about drugging TC's mind was a little too farfetched for my tastes, especially since the rest of the episode is deadly serious. Still, that ending, man, that was MV-worthy.As for Robin, in the final episode Higgin's admits he is Robin Masters, but at the very end tells Magnum he lied. So, we never really do find out. Personally, I've always leaned towards Higgins being Masters, but who knows.Anyone remember the two-parter from Magnum's fifth season, called "All For One"? It was like Magnum's version of Rambo, and d*mn is it GOOD. One of my favorites.

• Administrators
You know' date=' DYSTSR? is a classic episode, but the whole plot about drugging TC's mind was a little too farfetched for my tastes, especially since the rest of the episode is deadly serious. Still, that ending, man, that was MV-worthy.[/quote']Yes the drugging/brainwashing was a bit over the top IMHO.
As for Robin' date=' in the final episode Higgin's admits he is Robin Masters, but at the very end tells Magnum he lied. So, we never really do find out. Personally, I've always leaned towards Higgins being Masters, but who knows.[/quote']I vaguely recall the last ep. where Higgins said that too.
Anyone remember the two-parter from Magnum's fifth season' date=' called "All For One"? It was like Magnum's version of Rambo, and d*mn is it GOOD. One of my favorites. [/quote']As for "All for One", yes that was a great ep. too. Although the part about fixing that wrecked chopper, I donno?

Yes the drugging/brainwashing was a bit over the top IMHO.I vaguely recall the last ep. where Higgins said that too.As for "All for One"' date=' yes that was a great ep. too. Although the part about fixing that wrecked chopper, I donno?[/quote']Yes, TC fixing that chopper was bit, out there, but I'll let that slide; the rest of the episode is A+.

Really? That's interesting to know they ripped it apart to make him fit:confused: Well, Stinger390X, how did you get to drive these ferraris? I would love to do that someday, it'd be a great experience!

Really? That's interesting to know they ripped it apart to make him fit:confused: Well' date=' Stinger390X, how did you get to drive these ferraris? I would love to do that someday, it'd be a great experience![/quote']I have worked my whole life in the auto trades and got to drive the cars when I repaired or customised them. I changed the starter in the Ferarri saving the owner over 2300 dollars and six weeks waiting time for the starter to get here from Italy. He was so impressed that he gave me the car for the weekend to drive after I fixed it.I have been in some very exotic cars and "one offs" as some of them were ones that I built. Trust me...that 308 is not all its cracked up to be. It was definitely fun but I had to remove the sunroofs to drive it as my head hit the headliner when I got in. good thing it was nice summer weather when I took it for a cruise.

As for Robin' date=' in the final episode Higgin's admits he is Robin Masters, but at the very end tells Magnum he lied. So, we never really do find out. Personally, I've always leaned towards Higgins being Masters, but who knows.[/quote']I don't claim to be the biggest Magnum afficionado, but from what I understand the whole idea of Higgins possibly being Masters emerged as the series progressed. In other words, it was never planned to even be a question in the beginning, but the longer the series hung on, the more the writers realized they could have fun with the question. Consequently, there are some things that transpired in the earlier seasons that directly contradict the idea that Higgins could ever be Masters -- Higgins talking on the phone with him, Masters' voice being heard, and other things that, in order to retrofit it so that Higgins is Masters, you'd have to believe he put an awful lot of thought into it (and was actually slightly bent) to pull off the charade.For these reasons, I choose to believe he was not Masters. Just my two cents!

I don't claim to be the biggest Magnum afficionado' date=' but from what I understand the whole idea of Higgins possibly being Masters emerged as the series progressed. In other words, it was never planned to even be a question in the beginning, but the longer the series hung on, the more the writers realized they could have fun with the question. Consequently, there are some things that transpired in the earlier seasons that directly contradict the idea that Higgins could ever be Masters -- Higgins talking on the phone with him, Masters' voice being heard, and other things that, in order to retrofit it so that Higgins is Masters, you'd have to believe he put an awful lot of thought into it (and was actually slightly bent) to pull off the charade.For these reasons, I choose to believe he was not Masters. Just my two cents![/quote']You are correct, it was never planned, and there were some moments in earlier episodes that lead to problems in the "Higgins is Masters" theory. They sort of explained those away in the last ep, Higgins says something to the effect that a performer stays in character at all times.In the end, we just don't really know.

I do recall one scene in an particular episode that Higgins is chewing Magnum out for something (I think he forgot to wash the car or something) and Robin was across the table in the shadows. You could never see his face, but Magnum changed his tune and appologised or something like that, to the man (Robin I think) who was illusively in the shadows the whole time. Higgins even talked to the shadow man as "ROBIN"This one epsiode sticks in my mind, and that is what made me think that Higgins must have pulled off a good stunt to get someone to play Robin.

Yeah, but again they sort of addressed that in the last two seasons. I think it was in S7's "Paper War" that Magnum accuses Higgins of hiring someone with "The voice of Orson Welles" (who was the voice of Robin in the earlier seasons) to pull off the charade.Speaking of "Paper War", absolute essential Magnum, in my top five, easily.

• 4 months later...

I thought alot of Vice fans HATED Magnum. Oh, well I guess I was wrong.:o

I'm a fan of both shows too. Apparently, it's the Magnum fans that don't care for Miami Vice: http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1083ETA: I jut joined this board under a different handle. I was looking for Magnum locations on Oahu as I might be going there in Feb/March. :D

• Administrators

Wow, some pretty harsh words against us! :evil:I like both shows. Magnum was great, but it too was not without it's faults. The story got old. Magnum was always using TC and Rick and Higgins in almost every ep. In the beginning it was funny but it did get a little old after the 4th or 5th season.

• Administrators

I like Selleck but never cared for "Magnum" Was it just me or did he spend a lot of time doing nothing? The show bored me. I only ever remember one episode I liked where he walked some guy into the woods and shot him.

• 3 years later...

Gues the name should've been from Miami Vice vs. Magnum PI to Miami Vice vs other competitors (ie Dallas) haha.I'll make a poll to see what people think.