Ferrariman

Episode #106 "Victims Of Circumstance"

Recommended Posts

Ferrariman

Begin posting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timm525

This is one I never watch.1 for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vicenarc

I can go as high as 6 for this episode. But overall, it was a mixture of peril, mixed with a tad of slapstick, such as the brawl that broke out with Crockett, Tubbs and Switek's cover at the meeting hall, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViceFanMan

I know many don't care for this episode...but I actually like it!The plot is not something you'd think of with "MV", but it was still a realistic and tragic one. It dealt with racial hatred, Nazi criminals, and old war crimes. It was somewhat bizarre and very "dark"...but it was also intriguing and one you understood--unlike other bizarre ones like "Everybody's In Showbiz" and "The Cell Within"...which were off the radar :radar: and left you going huh?? :confused:The acting was awesome in this one, and I thought all did a fantastic job! :clap: Karen Black, especially, was outstanding as mentally deranged psycho Helen Jackson, trying to avenge the accusations against her father. :eek: Paul Guilfoyle was once again awesome as racial maniac John Baker (however, he'll always be Capt. Jim Brass on CSI to me ;) ), and William Hickey was the perfect character actor for the aging, mentally disturbed Nazi war criminal Hans Kozak. Along with Xander Berkeley and Herb Goldstein...this one had an amazing cast! :done:However, I will admit there were some unrealistic or over-the-top parts to this one...such as when Crockett and Switek try to make John Baker and his commune dudes think they were on their side but shooting & blowing up some Jewish and/or other race/religious buildings. Okay, they were obliterating these buildings with machine guns and some kind of homemade maltov cocktails all they while you can see cars/people going by literally right behind them. :) I think in reality they would have chosen a much later time when less people would have been around. But, the music was interesting and I especially love Misguided Angel, by Cowboy Junkies, at the very end...very touching and heart-felt...it fit perfectly! :radio: We also got to see some pretty awesome shots of both Crockett and Tubbs' cars...I LOVE the beautiful shots of Tubb's Caddy (both interior and out--and it's my favorite Caddy used...the aqua green one with the white steering wheel) at the beginning when the drug dealers get whacked at Sy's restaurant! Later there's some superb scenes with Sonny's Testarosa! :DBut, probably my favorite aspects to this episode were the colors and fashion--they were phenomenal!! :glossy: I love the old trademark teal and pink pastel color scheme once again throughout--from the buildings, interiors, even the clothes! I love Crockett's shirts and jackets at the beginning...with the off-white or pale pink (couldn't quite tell which it was?) linen jacket with the teal shirt and white pants--I felt like we were back in season 2 again! :thumbsup: Tubbs' clothes were superb as well! Really I felt this one was pretty decent. It's still pretty "dark" and tragic, I know...but with the acting, colors, action, even suspense...I still give it a 7. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vice Immersion

It was an episode that emphasized the overreaching and retaliatory effect of violence, revenge, and the heated passion of hatred.  In everyone's quest to "get back" at the other, the mess of violence and death kept on expanding, and becoming more complicated and vengeful.  By the end of the episode, the audience could grasp how Tubbs and Crockett had become more like referees in this criminal underworld rather than enforcing the law.

 

Although it was a nihilistic episode, it was good in effectively conveying the emotional experiences Tubbs and Crockett are facing.

Edited by Vice Immersion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice

i thought it was a pretty decent episode. Strangely also feature 3 supporting actors feature in MV before. the end was pretty dumb with Alvarez on the scene when kozak's daughter is arrested. How would he know what was going on?! stupid.

 

8/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
On 8/6/2016 at 4:53 PM, AzVice said:

i thought it was a pretty decent episode. Strangely also feature 3 supporting actors feature in MV before. the end was pretty dumb with Alvarez on the scene when kozak's daughter is arrested. How would he know what was going on?! stupid.

 

8/10

Although not a classic - I enjoyed the early 1989 feel of this episode directed by Season 4 director Colin Bucksey ("Death and the Lady", "Like a Hurricane" and "Rock and a Hard Place" ):D:D

A nice episode. 8.5/10

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vincent Hanna

I saw this one for the first time not long ago, funnily enough. One of the better S5 episodes. I'm not sure what Nazis and facist sympathisers has to do with a vice unit though, but then again it does give Crockett and Switek a reason to go undercover as white supremacists so..:done: We give them a lot of stick for re-hashing plots from the early seasons so it's refreshing to have a unique story. The massive brawl with C&Ts punching each other was great. (PMT sold a punch from Don like a champ and flew across the room). The scene where they blow up the abandoned building to prove their "faith" was pretty cool. It kind of reminded me of "Thief" when James Caan blows up his diner in the way it was shot.


Colin Bucksey's a good director man. Some guys have an eye for visuals and can do a lot of fancy camera work, so that's much appreciated. I was expecting the epsiode to be kind of crappy and was surprised it wasn't so 7/10

Edited by Vincent Hanna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
27 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I saw this one for the first time not long ago, funnily enough. One of the better S5 episodes. I'm not sure what Nazis and facist sympathisers has to do with a vice unit though, but then again it does give Crockett and Switek a reason to go undercover as white supremacists so..:done: We give them a lot of stick for re-hashing plots from the early seasons so it's refreshing to have a unique story. The massive brawl with C&Ts punching each other was great. (PMT sold a punch from Don like a champ and flew across the room). The scene where they blow up the abandoned building to prove their "faith" was pretty cool. It kind of reminded me of "Thief" when James Caan blows up his diner in the way it was shot.


Colin Bucksey's a good director man. Some guys have an eye for visuals and can do a lot of fancy camera work, so that's much appreciated. I was expecting the epsiode to be kind of crappy and was surprised it wasn't so 7/10

Yes i agree about Colin Bucksey I enjoyed the four episodes he directed for Miami Vice - quite stylish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivoryjones

I do like this episode very much. What I do regret is only a single detail that appears 2 or 3 times I guess. I'm talking about that fake car vision that implies, sometimes, that someone is watching Crockett and Tubbs... Who after all was watching them? And why using such a cheap effect?

I was even naive enough to forget about Alvarez. So I was truly surprised when he shots Kozak's daughter in the end!

I always like to watch that episode again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
19 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

I do like this episode very much. What I do regret is only a single detail that appears 2 or 3 times I guess. I'm talking about that fake car vision that implies, sometimes, that someone is watching Crockett and Tubbs... Who after all was watching them? And why using such a cheap effect?

I was even naive enough to forget about Alvarez. So I was truly surprised when he shots Kozak's daughter in the end!

I always like to watch that episode again!

Nice review - I also love this episode - Crockett and Tubbs burnt out and coming to an end. Also this episode feels like 1989 somehow !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Great episode - great supporting cast - 9/10:fireworks:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Remington

I've only watched this episode once. So this is mostly by memory.

Love seeing the actor who played Glanz again. Especially his line "Outstanding".

This was definitely one of the more violent episodes.

William Hickey was great. So was the actress who played his daughter.

Need to watch it again.

This is kind of the last official episodes. After this we got the lost episodes and Freefall. Damn I wasn't even alive yet but I miss the 80s. Cheers.

7/10

Edited by Remington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
APalFromHawaii

This is a well done episode with a nice twist!

My favorite moment is the beginning. Who's the grandpa?....... And some time later... Oh! Now i get!:cool: He's the cause of the whole mess!

This is a nice and well done episode!;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now