CROCKETT,TUBBS CATHOLIC!!

COOPER&BURNETT

(This thread is not to be controversial. I myself, am not Catholic, but I don't mind if you are, or if you have a different religion, or no religion. I'm only trying to point out something that I have never seen mentioned by anyone before (that's what I do!) regarding characters as written in the series.)In BUDDIES, Robbie asks Crockett to be his childs Godfather. He accepts. Reciently, a Catholic friend of mine asked his inlaws to be the god parents of his twins. I asked him why he didn't ask his parents. He said that his parents are not Catholic. Therefore, only Catholics can be godparents in the Catholic church for a baptism. When I researched into it, it turns out that the actor who played the priest who baptised Robbies child was not an actor after all, but a priest by the name of Father Raul Angulo from St. Patricks church on Miami Beach. He had three lines. Two hours later, the shots were done. He made $150.00 for that scene. Dee Miller hired him. She worked for a North Miami firm called, Casting Directors Inc. The Director told her he wanted an unusual Latin looking Priest for the part, and had her search the Miami area where the Director had seen him, but couldn't remember where. The wardrobe dept. called the priest, and asked how DON JOHNSON should be dressed for the scene. He said he wanted him to wear a neck tie. When the shooting took place, Father Raul Angulo spoke to Johnson, "When we were doing the scene, I told him I was the one who made him wear it, and he just winked at me and pointed to his shoes. He wasn't wearing any socks!" I wonder if we could get a screen shot of Crockett's Vietnam dogtags, and read on the tags what his denomination is. TUBBS has shown evidence of him being Catholic. In several early episodes, Tubbs is shown reading a bible, or having a bible on his desk, He also wears a ST. CHRISTOPHER medalion which is a Catholic saint, and he has crossed himself in Smuggler's Blues ("Santa Maria Modiose"). Non Catholics don't normally do all these things.It has been pointed out that GINA is also Catholic, as she mentions in WHEN IRISH EYES ARE CRYING that she went to a Catholic school as she thought all teachers were Nuns.I'm wondering if there are any other signs of the religions of the other Characters.I'm guessing Castillo is Buddist perhaps.Your thoughts?

Of course. Couldn't be Anglican or Church of England (do they even have that over there?), could they? I mean, that's what I am, but... The more I have in common with Crockett the better!That's very cool Coop!

Tubbs, a vegetarian catholic? I don't think I've met a vegetarian catholic, but the Sonny-Godfather thing could have been done just for dramatic perposes, Gina is I believe Italian or of Italian descent (she was also on The Sopranos as the wife of an Italian doctor) so that explains the Catholism, although she had a father in Cuba and the main religion in Cuba is Catholic. Castillo, definitely buddist.

That's very cool Coop!

Thank you for thinking my original threads like this are cool. I appreciate it Gina!

the Sonny-Godfather thing could have been done just for dramatic perposes.

Perhaps, but as I mentioned, He would have to be Catholic if it were real life, as one has to be Catholic to be the god parent of someone's child when a priest in a Catholic church performs the religious ceremony. The purpose is to bring the child up in the Catholic faith if something happens to the parents.

Protestants have god parents, too. I´m catholic and my husband´s a protestant. We got married in a protestant church. But I think that Rico´s a catholic, too. I agree with the things others have told before. He sometimes reads the bible and he´s wearing the St. Christopher locket. Why shouldn´t a catholic become a vegetarian?About Castillo I´m not sure if he´s a buddhist. Maybe he converted to Buddhism when he married Mai Ying.

Crockett, Tubbs CatholicYou are right when you say that the Catholic Church insists that only Catholics can be godparents. As already mentioned, one of the duties of the role is to make sure the child is brought up Catholic if anything happens to the parents and for that reason, the Church feels a Catholic godparent would be the best choice. Religious symbols would pop up every now and then. I remember the cross Hackman wore in jail and how he gave it to Sonny when he was released. And then, Crockett gave it to him on the island, right before he shot him...nice touch, especially when Hackman's grin disappeared and he looked up in fear for the first time. Better say your prayers, Hackman!Castillo was friends with a priest in God's Work and kept a bible the priest had given him in his desk drawer...that doesn't make him a Catholic, but it's interesting. I agree that his Cuban background would favor that he was brought up a Catholic, but he may have developed respect for Buddhism when he was in Cambodia and converted. He certainly adopted may customs from the area, such as the style of his house, his food, his use of martial arts when he fought. Great topic. I never really thought about any of this before...

You are right when you say that the Catholic Church insists that only Catholics can be godparents. As already mentioned' date=' one of the duties of the role is to make sure the child is brought up Catholic if anything happens to the parents and for that reason, the Church feels a Catholic godparent would be the best choice. Religious symbols would pop up every now and then. I remember the cross Hackman wore in jail and how he gave it to Sonny when he was released. And then, Crockett gave it to him on the island, right before he shot him...nice touch, especially when Hackman's grin disappeared and he looked up in fear for the first time. Better say your prayers, Hackman!Castillo was friends with a priest in God's Work and kept a bible the priest had given him in his desk drawer...that doesn't make him a Catholic, but it's interesting. I agree that his Cuban background would favor that he was brought up a Catholic, but he may have developed respect for Buddhism when he was in Cambodia and converted. He certainly adopted may customs from the area, such as the style of his house, his food, his use of martial arts when he fought. Great topic. I never really thought about any of this before...[/quote']I enjoyed your post. You dug a little deeper, and reflected on some things.Remember when Crockett at the begining of PRODIGAL SON says, "The Cross of Jesus". Would this count as a religious symbol? Saying those words proves nothing.GINA is without a doubt catholic. Remember, she even dressed as a nun once, but it was her telling of her school days that shows she went to a Catholic school.Interesting about Castillo. He did seem to befriend or was friendly with priests. He was kind to one in GOD'S WORK.Castillo is a man of mystery. Perhaps he just respects the priests for thier total commitment to what they believe? Sounds like HIM.

Protestants have god parents' date=' too. I´m catholic and my husband´s a protestant. We got married in a protestant church. But I think that Rico´s a catholic, too. I agree with the things others have told before. He sometimes reads the bible and he´s wearing the St. Christopher locket. Why shouldn´t a catholic become a vegetarian?About Castillo I´m not sure if he´s a buddhist. Maybe he converted to Buddhism when he married Mai Ying.[/quote']Of course Protestants have god parents. Anyone can bestow god parent status on someone that they feel comfortable with, but it would be unofficial, as stated before, the Catholic church does not recognize non Catholics as God parents when performing a ceremony by a priest in a Catholic church as depicted in the show.I agree with you. Why shouldn't a Catholic become a vegetarian?Anyone remember that when Lou in the pilot episode when he was informed that a Sister phoned about Lou wanting to send his kid Hecktor to a catholic school? Remember when Crockett said he wished HE could send Billy there?One wouldn't likely concieve of sending a child to a Catholic school if they wouldn't want thier child brought up in the catholic faith.

We had a healthy discussion of this ages ago, and I'm really glad smart topics such as these are showing up again. There's no definite instance of Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo ever mentioning their religion. As a practicing Catholic, I do tend to pick up on these things. I believe the only case of that is with Gina. Zito is in all likelihood Catholic as well, judging by his funeral. However, there is evidence in various episodes for the others. As far as Castillo goes, he displays a wide range of knowledge on various religions. He does make the Sign Of The Cross at one point, I believe, and with the Hispanic aspect, as well the entire "God's Work" episode, he is probably Catholic. But I agree, he's a man of mystery, you just don't don't know.Tubbs' as well is evidenced to be Catholic (him being a vegetarian makes no difference one way of the other, there are Catholic vegetarians, I have a cousin that's one).Now, onto Crockett. As C&B pointed out, in the pilot Crockett mentions that he wishes he could send Billy to the Catholic school. That's strong evidence, but not necessarily a hard fact; I went to St. Vincent-St. Mary's High School (home of LeBron!), and while the vast majority of kids were Catholic, you did have a few Protestants, and even a handful of Jewish kids. You don't HAVE to be Catholic to attend a Catholic school, but you're more likely to send your kid there if he/she is.My favorite instance of Crockett's faith is in "Evan", in which he tells Tubbs (not exact words, but close): "I don't have to bear my soul to you, you're my partner, not my Priest!". Obviously, he's referring to confession, something if he were a Protestant he just wouldn't reference. I believe Anglicans/Episcopalians also have confession, but with all the other evidence pointed out so far ("Buddies" is a huge indicator), I'd lean towards Crockett being Catholic, albeit a lapsed one.That leaves Switek. I don't think we ever have any clue to what religion he is.

Crockett, Tubbs Catholic

So Crockett is Catholic' date=' Tubbs is a Vegetarian Catholic and Castillo Buddhist? Wow[/quote']LOL! It sound so funny, that we came up with this! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Crockett, Tubbs Catholic

I enjoyed your post. You dug a little deeper, and reflected on some things.Remember when Crockett at the begining of PRODIGAL SON says, "The Cross of Jesus". Would this count as a religious symbol? Saying those words proves nothing.Thank you. I love how we keep finding new clues! "The Cross of Jesus"...I had forgotten that. I remember Gina was pretending to be a nun in ElVeijo when those two tourists were trying to pick them up. I laughed when TRudy said "read my Bible" and showed them her badge!!!

Guest The Talk

the Catholic church does not recognize non Catholics as God parents when performing a ceremony by a priest in a Catholic church as depicted in the show.

At least in Germany there changed a lot within the last years related to this.Catholics and Protestans are more open minded and do a lot together (ecumenical worships etc.).As long as the priest isn't too conservative you also can take Protestant as god parents. I did so. But for to stick to the "rules" I also had to take one Catholic. So I took my mother as one of them (just for the pure formality) and a friend of ours -Protestant- was the official godfather.

One wouldn't likely concieve of sending a child to a Catholic school if they wouldn't want thier child brought up in the catholic faith.

Well, I know a school of this kind in our neighbour town.The school is leaded by Catholic nuns. But all of the teachers are "civilists" and they take Protestant and Islam children also. Only demand: they have to attend the katholic or protestant religion lesson. They do not offer "Ethics" as lesson (which you can choose instead in most of the public schools).That means they do not teach the catholic faith in a radical way.So if you aren't a convinced atheist there are also advantages: They set great value upon social community and consideration for each other. Therefore they have considerably less violence at this school.

Crockett, Tubbs CatholicGreat references, Lar! Again, great topic!

We had a healthy discussion of this ages ago' date=' and I'm really glad smart topics such as these are showing up again. There's no definite instance of Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo ever mentioning their religion. As a practicing Catholic, I do tend to pick up on these things. I believe the only case of that is with Gina. Zito is in all likelihood Catholic as well, judging by his funeral. However, there is evidence in various episodes for the others. As far as Castillo goes, he displays a wide range of knowledge on various religions. He does make the Sign Of The Cross at one point, I believe, and with the Hispanic aspect, as well the entire "God's Work" episode, he is probably Catholic. But I agree, he's a man of mystery, you just don't don't know.Tubbs' as well is evidenced to be Catholic (him being a vegetarian makes no difference one way of the other, there are Catholic vegetarians, I have a cousin that's one).Now, onto Crockett. As C&B pointed out, in the pilot Crockett mentions that he wishes he could send Billy to the Catholic school. That's strong evidence, but not necessarily a hard fact; I went to St. Vincent-St. Mary's High School (home of LeBron!), and while the vast majority of kids were Catholic, you did have a few Protestants, and even a handful of Jewish kids. You don't HAVE to be Catholic to attend a Catholic school, but you're more likely to send your kid there if he/she is.My favorite instance of Crockett's faith is in "Evan", in which he tells Tubbs (not exact words, but close): "I don't have to bear my soul to you, you're my partner, not my Priest!". Obviously, he's referring to confession, something if he were a Protestant he just wouldn't reference. I believe Anglicans/Episcopalians also have confession, but with all the other evidence pointed out so far ("Buddies" is a huge indicator), I'd lean towards Crockett being Catholic, albeit a lapsed one.That leaves Switek. I don't think we ever have any clue to what religion he is.[/quote']

Crockett, Tubbs Catholic

MJMCVV' date=' I just don't get what's so funny.[/quote']By all of us piecing together clues from different episodes, we have Crockett as a Catholic, Tubbs as a Vegetarian and Castillo as a Buddhist. It just sounded amusing.

We had a healthy discussion of this ages ago' date=' and I'm really glad smart topics such as these are showing up again. There's no definite instance of Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo ever mentioning their religion. As a practicing Catholic, I do tend to pick up on these things. I believe the only case of that is with Gina. Zito is in all likelihood Catholic as well, judging by his funeral. However, there is evidence in various episodes for the others. As far as Castillo goes, he displays a wide range of knowledge on various religions. He does make the Sign Of The Cross at one point, I believe, and with the Hispanic aspect, as well the entire "God's Work" episode, he is probably Catholic. But I agree, he's a man of mystery, you just don't don't know.Tubbs' as well is evidenced to be Catholic (him being a vegetarian makes no difference one way of the other, there are Catholic vegetarians, I have a cousin that's one).Now, onto Crockett. As C&B pointed out, in the pilot Crockett mentions that he wishes he could send Billy to the Catholic school. That's strong evidence, but not necessarily a hard fact; I went to St. Vincent-St. Mary's High School (home of LeBron!), and while the vast majority of kids were Catholic, you did have a few Protestants, and even a handful of Jewish kids. You don't HAVE to be Catholic to attend a Catholic school, but you're more likely to send your kid there if he/she is.My favorite instance of Crockett's faith is in "Evan", in which he tells Tubbs (not exact words, but close): "I don't have to bear my soul to you, you're my partner, not my Priest!". Obviously, he's referring to confession, something if he were a Protestant he just wouldn't reference. I believe Anglicans/Episcopalians also have confession, but with all the other evidence pointed out so far ("Buddies" is a huge indicator), I'd lean towards Crockett being Catholic, albeit a lapsed one.That leaves Switek. I don't think we ever have any clue to what religion he is.[/quote']Excellent Lar! I certainly remember you contributing to this thread when we did it last time, and once again, you have my attention with your writings!I'd love to read more.

Thank you. I love how we keep finding new clues! "The Cross of Jesus"...I had forgotten that. I remember Gina was pretending to be a nun in ElVeijo when those two tourists were trying to pick them up. I laughed when TRudy said "read my Bible" and showed them her badge!!!
I too am finding this topic and our clues extremely interesting. Makes one wonder why nobody else thought of it. It's all of our investigative powers that will keep finding more clues.Everyone has been so helpful thus far. I've learned a lot.

At least in Germany there changed a lot within the last years related to this.Catholics and Protestans are more open minded and do a lot together (ecumenical worships etc.).As long as the priest isn't too conservative you also can take Protestant as god parents. I did so. But for to stick to the "rules" I also had to take one Catholic. So I took my mother as one of them (just for the pure formality) and a friend of ours -Protestant- was the official godfather.Well' date=' I know a school of this kind in our neighbour town.The school is leaded by Catholic nuns. But all of the teachers are "civilists" and they take Protestant and Islam children also. Only demand: they have to attend the katholic or protestant religion lesson. They do not offer "Ethics" as lesson (which you can choose instead in most of the public schools).That means they do not teach the catholic faith in a radical way.So if you aren't a convinced atheist there are also advantages: They set great value upon social community and consideration for each other. Therefore they have considerably less violence at this school.[/quote']This is very interesting. Once again, I have learned a great deal in just trying to figure out the religious backgrounds written for fictional characters by the writers of the series. Doesn't hurt to learn things along the way now does it?

Was there a Priest at Zito's funerial? Was there a Priest at Tubbs' son's funerial? This could reveal more clues.....

Was there a Priest at Zito's funerial? Was there a Priest at Tubbs' son's funerial? This could reveal more clues.....

I don't recall Tubbs' sons' funeral, and it's been quite awhile since I've seen "Down For The Count", but I seem to remember Zito's funeral featuring a Priest. Unfortunately, there's no shots of him in the glossary. Anyone have the episode at the ready?

If so, that would make a case for ZITO being brought up Catholic too.It seems as if thier first LT., LOU RODRIGEUZ was also.

• Administrators

I'd agree with that.But I'm not 100% convinced that Castillo converted to Buddhism. Just my opinion.