CROCKETT,TUBBS CATHOLIC!!

COOPER&BURNETT

In "Buddies" Robbies baby gets baptized and he asks Crockett to be the godfather

Yes.However.......... :);) I already covered that in this thread. If you read (I know,...there are lots of pages) the pages, you will read all the info about that, including what the priests name was, and the church where it was performed. In depth stuff!Lots of interesting things are in this thread!!

I'm on the move..literally all the time...My phone loses the signal...alot..I have alot of catching up to do in this forum.....Trying to find the time to do all the reading...Sorry For the quick replies.....i'll catch up with all of it eventually......

• 7 months later...

I haven't gone thru all these pages on this thread, so I can't remember if this has been brought up yet, but, LOU RODRIGUEZ was Catholic also. He was going to send his son Hector to IMMACULATE HEART. Remember Sister Agnes called him in the pilot.Crockett (whom we believe is Catholic) said he wished he could afford to send Billy there. Not many people send thier child to a Catholic school if they are not, or don't wish thier child to be raised in the Catholic faith.

• 4 months later...

Soooooo many pages to read through......can't recall if we covered this.Was there a Catholic priest at Zito's funeral?

A few pages back, someone mentioned Castillo knowing priests. He also knew about Santeria in "Whatever works". I feel Castillo was a character who was spiritual & knew a lot about different belief systems but didn't follow a specific religion. He would have been an interesting guy to have in-depth conversations with late into the night over a bottle of wine or your preferred beverage!With regards to Crockett, when he married Caitlin he was a divorcee. Who married them? Wouldn't have it been unacceptable for a priest to marry them?

A few pages back' date=' someone mentioned Castillo knowing priests. He also knew about Santeria in "Whatever works". I feel Castillo was a character who was spiritual & knew a lot about different belief systems but didn't follow a specific religion. He would have been an interesting guy to have in-depth conversations with late into the night over a bottle of wine or your preferred beverage!With regards to Crockett, when he married Caitlin he was a divorcee. Who married them? Wouldn't have it been unacceptable for a priest to marry them?[/quote']Interesting thoughts. Did a priest marry Crockett and Caitlin? I know it wasn't in a church, as it was an outside wedding. I know some pastors wear clerical collars, so I'd have to check the DVD. I also should check out my previous question about Zito, and if a priest was at his funeral.Good question CarolineUK. :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

I'd agree with that.But I'm not 100% convinced that Castillo converted to Buddhism. Just my opinion.

In the Season 4 episode, "God's Work", Castillo has a close friend who is a Catholic priest named Ernesto Lupe, who wrote down the inscription in Castillo's Bible (which was pulled out of Castillo's desk drawer), "To my friend Marty, all of the answers aren't written in the wind, some are right here."  Considering Ernesto was one of the very few people Castillo's character actually gave smiles to (which could imply a deeper friendship and confiding toward Ernesto), in my opinion, I think Castillo was Catholic.

I don't think his character was Buddhist, but rather had adopted some East Asian customs and traditions since it fit well with his very disciplined personality (i.e. such as learning martial arts).

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

(snipped) I believe the only case of that is with Gina. Zito is in all likelihood Catholic as well, judging by his funeral. However, there is evidence in various episodes for the others. As far as Castillo goes, he displays a wide range of knowledge on various religions. He does make the Sign Of The Cross at one point, I believe, and with the Hispanic aspect, as well the entire "God's Work" episode, he is probably Catholic. But I agree, he's a man of mystery, you just don't don't know.Tubbs' as well is evidenced to be Catholic (him being a vegetarian makes no difference one way of the other, there are Catholic vegetarians, I have a cousin that's one).Now, onto Crockett. As C&B pointed out, in the pilot Crockett mentions that he wishes he could send Billy to the Catholic school. That's strong evidence, but not necessarily a hard fact; I went to St. Vincent-St. Mary's High School (home of LeBron!), and while the vast majority of kids were Catholic, you did have a few Protestants, and even a handful of Jewish kids. You don't HAVE to be Catholic to attend a Catholic school, but you're more likely to send your kid there if he/she is.My favorite instance of Crockett's faith is in "Evan", in which he tells Tubbs (not exact words, but close): "I don't have to bear my soul to you, you're my partner, not my Priest!". Obviously, he's referring to confession, something if he were a Protestant he just wouldn't reference. I believe Anglicans/Episcopalians also have confession, but with all the other evidence pointed out so far ("Buddies" is a huge indicator), I'd lean towards Crockett being Catholic, albeit a lapsed one.That leaves Switek. I don't think we ever have any clue to what religion he is.

I'm glad you mentioned Crockett's references to Confession; he did that twice although right now I can't recall if both instances occurred in Evan or not.  For me that is the strongest evidence that Crockett may be Catholic; nonCatholics just wouldn't think in those terms.  His comment about wishing he could afford to send Billy to Catholic school was also evidence although weaker; as Lar said, people of other faiths do send their kids to Catholic schools for various reasons (sports, academics, discipline, whatever).

As far as Tubbs, I'm embarrassed to say it (being Catholic myself) but Bible-reading leads me to feel he more likely follows a Protestant tradition.  Catholics stereotypically are not big Bible-readers.  However, with the St. Christopher medal, he may have attended a Catholic school or grown up in a Catholic orphanage (notice how his brother who was killed is the only family he ever mentioned!).

I think Castillo grew up as a Catholic--wasn't his priest-friend who has the AIDS hospice a classmate at some time?  But I agree with Christine:  whether he follows Buddha or not, his time in Southeast Asia, his marriage to Mei Ying, and his betrayal by his Western compatriots all led to his interest in Eastern meditation and lifestyle.  He probably has a multicultural, multireligious outlook.

Switek:  isn't that kind of a Polish name?  Not to be stereotypical and it's just a thought.  But at least before the Cold War, probably 95% of Poles were Catholic, including the Poles who emigrated to the US.  

However, I don't really see any of the vice gang as active churchgoers.  Their religious heritage might influence their thoughts and attitudes, but whether it's something they practice regularly I'm doubtful--except for Gina, who evidently is a parishioner at the church where Sean Carroon gives his speech.  

• Like 2

As I pointed out early in this thread, Crockett is Catholic. He is Robbie's son's Godfather. If your not Catholic, you can't be a godparent in the Catholic church.

In Smuggler's Blues, at the end, Tubbs crosses himself while saying a Catholic phrase, while wearing a St. Christopher metal around his neck. He also reads the Bible as seen in (if I remember correctly) Heart of Darkness. Is this evidence proof that TUBBS is Catholic? No. But the evidence seems to lean heavily in that he is.

Zito was clealy Catholic, as evidenced in DOWN FOR THE COUNT PT2 during the funeral.

Gina most certainly is. She mentioned one time "being late for a prayer meeting", and dressed as a nun. That doesn't prove it, but I seem to remember other stuff I posted on the other first pages.

• Like 2

(snipped) Gina most certainly is. She mentioned one time "being late for a prayer meeting", and dressed as a nun. That doesn't prove it, but I seem to remember other stuff I posted on the other first pages.

Gina saying she was "late for a prayer meeting" occurred in El Viejo, when she was trying to get away tactfully from two old guys propositioning her at the exclusive hotel (I think) where Crockett and Tubbs found Jake Pierson.  Trudy called her Sister Calabrese, but neither of them was dressed as a nun in the scene.  Was there another time when she dressed as a nun?

She told Sean Carroon she was from a large Catholic family and attended Catholic school; she thought all teachers were nuns as a child, as you mentioned earlier in the thread :).  

Edited by vicegirl85

Good points from everyone on this Topic! I always believed Crockett and the others were, Catholic. Not sure about Tubbs. None of them were practicing their faith, though! ;)

• Like 1

Yep,Gina dressed as a nun when reading licence plate numbers in a hidden mic to switek in FORGIVE US OUR DEBTS.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT