My new Cubavera white blazer

Jerry B.

Blue, you're too kind. I mean it. I'ill take more pictures, promised ;-)

Vicestyle, thank you for your appreciation. Not sure if I have more images from that era (80s to early 90s), cause the pics from that session were slides, so I have to manage to print them and scan them. Let's see.

Thanks Christian, it's not easy to find that kind of clothes in contemporary fashion. But Cubavera has some few items that can fit the bill. Hugo Boss is another brand that still makes something I like. I used to have a HB blazer back in the 80s, along with, you know, Armani, Zileri etc. I sold everything in the early nineties.

• Like 1

I used to have a HB blazer back in the 80s, along with, you know, Armani, Zileri etc. I sold everything in the early nineties.

Be glad you sold, Jerry B.

I have thrown all in the waste.

What a job to get it back in the last 5 years  :rolleyes: .

This time my punishment have been the bills  :p

I need a new blazer myself :cool: I have a Heart of Darkness style blazer that I'm too afraid to wear out because of getting stains.You look bloody sharp Jerry,keep the collection up!

The Miami pictures are really nice. It looks like at least part of the city hasn't succumb to the bland architecture of today. Maybe because it's a tropical vacation type city, it's still kept that aura. Here in the city where I live (San Antonio), and I imagine most U.S. cities, there are all sorts of ugly buildings and houses that have popped up that look drab and ugly. In the area where I work, everything is so bland that it looks creepy. Driving down the road there feels like a bad Twilight Zone episode. Fortunately, I live in the part of the city that still looks 80s. I'll take some pictures whenever the cold fronts stop passing through and it gets sunny again. 

And yes, please take more pictures with the light-colored blazers and pastel shirts! May I ask why you sold the original clothes you had? Oh, and what city is the picture in 1992, with the palm tree in the background?

Hi Vicestyle, totally agree with you. In Miami Beach you can see how those Tropical Deco buildings are well preserved and mantained. Institutions are aware the architecture plays a big role in defining its identity. When I was there last year, there where many road and restoration works going on, they definitely care about it. Big part of those buidings were built in the 20s and 30s, an era of deep depression, and the pastel colors and the futuristic shapes were a kind of reaction to that. A look towards a brighter future.

Ironically, the 80s, which are commonly remembered as a a time of happiness and simple life, revamped a lot of that visual culture. Have a look at my script about it here:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/9856-interviewed-about-miami-vice-style/?p=186349

Ok, it looks like there's a request to see more pictures of me in MV style clothes.I admit, I'm pleased and surprised at the same time. ;-)

That *used to be* my way back then, that was the fashion. After the end of the 80s I tried to hold back the time for a while, but  - believe me - the fashion changed to a point you could not wear those color and big shoulder blazers without looking like an hairdresser. Or put on a white jacket without being mistaken for a waiter. That's why I sold them. Nowdays we no longer have fashion. What we have is a "mix-of-the-waste" of all times, so I think everything is allowed. More - also thanks to this site - I'm definitely rediscovering "my years". 

I must admit it, now I'd say I look more like an old Johnson than a young Crockett LOL!  But let's see what I can come up with in the next, ok? ;-)

The location of my '92 pic is a little beach town in Italy, called Ostia Lido, where I was in vacation at that time.

Cheers

JB

Well, it's a great thing they're preserving the buildings. It really is very sad to see the ugly brown/gray box-shaped mass produced suburban housing popping up everywhere. I can't believe anyone would actually want to live in those kinds of surroundings, it looks so lifeless and depressing. It's like a goal of this era or something, that they have to suck the color and style out of everything, and make everything bland and non-descript. Here in my corner of SA, at least it hasn't lost the flavor. They are building a high-end apartment complex just a couple miles up the street that is actually colorful and has palm trees as part of the landscaping. It's really refreshing to see that they aren't messing up this area they way they've messed up half of SA. But you drive about you drive about 10-15 miles north or west and you start to see it. That's the case for most cities in the U.S., unfortunately.

Also, the way people dress is just something else. If you try to dress different, it's like being a pariah these days. It's sad that it's no longer seen as "masculine" to care about fashion and style, and therefore most men dress like slobs. As for the women's style, it's all pretty boring and bland. It's like a bunch of women look like clones, and everywhere I go, people are dressed in workout/exercise clothes when they aren't exercising or at the gym. And then you have the worst of all, the guys with their pants hanging down to their knees and the baggy shirts. I remember back when I was in middle school and high school, all the 90s style was in at the time, and I wasn't really a fan of the music and style at the time, but looking at it now, it seems a million times better than what is out there now. It seems like it just keeps getting worse. I would rather live in 1998/99 than now, as much as at the time, I didn't think much of it. Because while the 90s style and feeling was no where near the greatness of the 80s, I had no idea that far worse was yet to come. And even then, I was too young to really experience the 90s even. People born in the late 70s/early 80s got to do that. But by the time I was 18 it was already 2006. The last remnants of the 90s were gone by the end of 2003.

Well, I can't wait to see more of your style.

Haha, did they actually think you were a waiter or a hairdresser if you walked out looking like that in 1995? That's when the whole grungy style came in, isn't it? It's true nowadays there is no fashion, just a general non-descript look, shabby, bland type look. Or a really sleazy type look that emulates the music videos and celebrities of today. The stuff I see that has that MV look at Dillard's and other department stores, I've never actually seen men wearing outside. I wonder why they continue to carry the clothes if it doesn't seem like anyone is buying them. Or are people buying them, and if so, where are they, lol? Because everything I see that looks good to me, I never actually see anyone wearing. 

Oh ok, it's Italy...I thought it was Miami, or some part of South Florida, or maybe an island in the Caribbean. You looked better than Crockett himself, lol .  And I find that style and the feel of the 80s was still around till about 1993 or so. '90-92 look like they were still completely 80s, but by '93 things started to shift towards the 90s style, and by '95 it was fully the 90s. It stayed that way till 03 and then we went into this era...whatever the hell this is. 

Vicestyle, couldn't agree more with you. What surprises me it's how many young boys and girls are in love with the culture of the 80s. And how they seem able to grab the very essence of it, without even being there at the time.

It's surprising to see how 20 year old people here have a feeling for the 80s music, movies, fashion etc., way more than many 50ers I know.

Speaking about fashion, it used to emphasize the nature of women and men. Hairstyle, clothes, make-up, accessories, everything. Don't they look a lot sexier, compared to the "no-nothing" of today?

As for my style, of course nobody thought I was an hairdresser or a waiter, I dropped that just on time, but by the 93/94 on, chance to see a man with a white blazer were zero. So a guy dressed that way *had* to be a waiter ;-)

Let's see if I can post more pics of me from the late 80s/early 90s, it's hard cause I have to print slides and scan them in order to get them posted. I no longer wear the MV style, I'm much more like this last pic of my avatar, but I'm starting to bring some things back. And if I find a bit of time I can even do newer shots. Honestly, I never had such a request before my subscription to this site, so I need to get organized :-)

Again, same exact thoughts about the 90s. The worse was yet to come. At least, in the early nineties you could still smell something of the previous decade. Agreed: better 98 than 2015. You captured the changes year by year, really. And let me tell you, if I had a daughter, I'd like she had your view and thoughts. So stay as you are, Vicestyle ;-)

Edited by Jerry B.

I have noticed that, Jerry, in the short time I've been on this website. That there actually people in their 20s who like this style! That's refreshing because I haven't met any outside of this website, in fact most people would probably not see it as "cool". Yes, I think the mainstream style back then was a lot better, nowadays, I really can't even figure out what it's supposed to be. Some department stores seem to have some nice things, but it doesn't seem like anyone actually wears them.

Also, I'm sorry if it's too much trouble for you to post older pictures, but I would really like to see the style during the actual time. 

Well thank you, that's a very nice compliment, very sweet of you to say. : )

• Administrators

I have noticed that, Jerry, in the short time I've been on this website. That there actually people in their 20s who like this style! That's refreshing because I haven't met any outside of this website, in fact most people would probably not see it as "cool". Yes, I think the mainstream style back then was a lot better, nowadays, I really can't even figure out what it's supposed to be. Some department stores seem to have some nice things, but it doesn't seem like anyone actually wears them.

Also, I'm sorry if it's too much trouble for you to post older pictures, but I would really like to see the style during the actual time. 

Well thank you, that's a very nice compliment, very sweet of you to say. : )

Don't know about where you live, but I actually see a decent amount of people who appear to be in their 20s, wearing the blazer/t-shirt style. But I always question whether they know where the style came from... And they're always wearing black blazers, even though pastels are back in style, and there are pastel suits in stores, I've never actually seen anybody wearing them.
And thanks to pastels being back in, I can wear light coloured chinos and have my own Vice style without looking like a clown. :) 

But I mostly just wear white chinos with a light blue Henley t-shirt, I'd go full Sonny Crockett with a blazer, but my mother keeps telling me how to dress and what's in style... The thing she says most is "Nobody wears that anymore". 
She doesn't understand that I believe everybody should have their own styles, I wear what I think is cool and not what everybody else is wearing, just because it's what's in. She lived her teenage years in the 80s, herself watching every episode of Miami Vice, you'd think she'd understand that it's the coolest style ever. :/ I just simply don't like todays fashions...  I think I should stop rambling on now.  :thumbsup: 

I guess it's ok since it's currently too warm here for a jacket, and I don't really go out often. 

Anyway, you're right, there are some nice clothes in stores... Keyword "some". It doesn't seem like anybody is doing anything creative with them. When I go out it's always basic. A pair of jeans with an ugly shirt, or dark chinos with a polo shirt. BORING.

• Like 1

It's surprising to see how 20 year old people here have a feeling for the 80s music, movies, fashion etc., way more than many 50ers I know.

Nice find on the jacket as they are getting harder to find a nice cut one with lightweight fabrics these days.

I think the resurgence of the 80's is two fold. The DVD release of MV was the first good thing but now satellite radio has specialty channels and one of them is an 80's focus. These are great and I think the youth are finding other outlets for old school stuff and retro is good again!

YouTube is also great for older videos as well. I can't believe I call myself the MTV generation??? Am I that old now?????????????????

Can't believe it was over thirty years ago :)

• Like 1

Anyway, you're right, there are some nice clothes in stores... Keyword "some". It doesn't seem like anybody is doing anything creative with them. When I go out it's always basic. A pair of jeans with an ugly shirt, or dark chinos with a polo shirt. BORING.

You're right. There are few things that are actually real vicey/80s style. I go to the mall and see lots of pastel colored shirts, but they are usually a boring cut like a polo, and of course the jackets/blazers no longer have that 80s style either. It takes a lot of effort and searching to find something that actually looks like it could be from that era. These days, there is no such thing as men's fashion/style. It is non-existant. For women, it is a little bit easier, but I find that pretty much nobody actually wears the kinds of outfits I would think are nice. For example, watch the local newscast and see what the female newscasters/reporters are wearing now and what they wore back then. Back then, they were always wearing nice, colorful blazers that looked so professional. Nowadays, the things they wear are horrendous and 25 years ago wouldn't have been allowed in a professional environment. Also, it seems like girls and women ages 5 to 75 wear the same thing. It's really weird.