A guide to getting the right sunglass style for you

Kavinsky

I was looking around at sunglasses recently (prompted by my hypothesis that the 4151 RB's were going out of production, and I ebay'ed them for 80) and I came across this simplified guide to geting the right kind of sunglasses for your face shape.

I know, he's abit like Brucie from GTA 4, and frankie walters from the old TV show viper in someways but his infomation is helpfull regardless and the video is only really 5 minutes long

and he simplifies the face shape classifications into four simple classifications with examples, Oval (which is what I am) Triangle, ect. ect, complete with photo examples to top it off of what works and what doesn't

and I can confirm that the round, carrera like knock off glasses I got do not work for me

also he mentions something rather interesting, that you want sunglasses that line up with your cheekbones, like the actual distance between them.

so I developed a formula based on that, put a ruler on a table, line it up properly, put my fingers to my cheekbones and then line that up with the numbers on the ruler

then you convert the Inches to MM, to line up with the Rayban messurements, and minus the number from the second number of the nose bridge.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB4179-rb4179-black/713132449325

like say 18mm fits you best, so you minus that from the overall messurement, and vola, that is the size glass you want to look for.

although it looks like the ratio can change on that on there so your best bet is probably to find something that matches in the total numbers and then go to a sunglasses hut to try them on.

but the 16mm of the 4151's is abit on the tigher side, although the stems are loosing up now and its starting to fit me better.

but regardless the messurements in my case lined up pefectly with the new Rayban wayfarers, 2132, the 55 mm Sized ones (there is two, a 52 and a 55) with an 18 mm bridge

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/RB2132%20unisex%2011-new%20wayfarer%20gradient-tortoise/805289295532

Eingefügtes Bild

and I went there today to try them on and they fit me damn near perfectly and looked great on me, the ones on the left, in this photo from here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dj_amp3x/2586546064

the originals, not so much as there like 50 - 22, so the proportion was abit off for the glass and their much more slanted looking on me, so it looks like they dont fit anywhere near as well as the revised ones.

just like I thought about the cheap clubman lookalikes I bought for the hell of it, which had like a 50 - 16 or 15 lense bridge, and they looked like hell on me too.

and I had noted that with the original wayfarers as the last time I went there years ago to try them on

only to come away disapointed that they didnt suit me, as back then I didnt know they had made this refreshed and revised edition for the modern age

and they do look much better than the old ones in my case, and hell the lady even said they usually sell much more of those than the originals.

so I'm seriously thinking about going back and buying them in black with polarized glasses, with a possible gradient, or maybe even the Tortus shell ones given my complexion, athough that might be in a few weeks given the upgrades I'm doing to the house and the computer

of which I accidentally got a graphics card that is oversized for the motherboard, a 770, which is about 3 to 4 inches too long, 10 1/2 vs 6 3/4th and slightly too high for the motherboard  when I should have gone for a 750 TI instead

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+770&id=2531

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti&id=2815

and now I need to get a Corsair CS550 psu, instead of the 750, which does fit though.

so that could be a few weeks..

in addition to the painting, a I just redid the ceeling of the two sections of the living room, and its no longer starting to look like a brown and browner room.

but atleast I know his idea and examples worked for me, once I applied them with my own logic and mathimatical formulas.

oh also speaking from experence, it wouldnt be a bad idea to avoid the sunglasses that come with nose pads, as that puts all of the weight of the front of glasses onto the nose in those two areas, not unlike the same kind of thing that applies to high heeled shoes for women I think.

unless you adjust them properly, size them right or their's enough distance between them that their comfortable and it balances out properly

so that's also worth keeping in mind, as the Rayban 3269's really bugged the crap out of me with their nose pads, to the point that I loosened them too much and  I lost one of them. and then took the other one off to balance it out.

and even then it still bugged the crap out of me

yet my smaller ones 55, vs the 63 of the 3269 once I adjusted the nose pads properly on the 3198's were a hell of alot more comfortable and suited me better

yet again tieing into the whole size messurement thing above in addition to that.

so its worth keep that in mind as well, and the other thing ladies

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I should add that I did finally acquire a pair of the new wayfarers this week, in polarized, the 58 ones with a 55 - 18 lense nose bridge and my theory did work

they actually fit me quite well and look a hell of alot better on me than the 4151's, that made me look like ray charles frankly and after seeing how much of a difference the polarized lenses make I would recommend that if your going to spend the money, always go for the polarized ones.

as the amount of glare that removes is quite ridiculous, you just dont quite realize just how much it removes till you wear them out in the sun while your driving, and when your around water as well, as it really removes most of the glare the water gives off

which is probably why sonny always wore them, given how much he was around the water in Nam and Miami

and in general when it comes to sunglasses given that this isnt something as simple as buying a seiko watch or a pair of shoes over ebay I would recommend going for them at a place where you know their not fakes even if that means that your paying full price

as this is the wellfare of your eyes we're talking about

and I ended up going for the tortoise shell ones with the g15 polarized lenses, although I was hoping to go for the all black ones with polarized glass, but they were sold out.

and honestly until I removed the white rayban's P logo on the glasses I just wanted to trade them in on it, the all black ones, but using coopers technique to scrape off the rayban long on the right side really makes them look a hell of a lot better

as that stupid rayban logo they put on the right glass just completely throws off the look of the glasses.

the technique I'm refering to is one that Cooper and Burnett came up with where he would take an exactoknife and very carefully scrape off the white rayban logo that sits on the glasses, being ever so carefull to come at them at a shallow angle and just cut into the logo off without damaging it

as to make it look like the old ones that came out of vice's era before they started doing that.

its a little hard to explain really but its simple enough to do, you just have to have patience and take it slow and start in the middle of the lettering and work your way out

think like your scraping dried paint off of the floor with a box cutter, its same principal but its nowhere near as thick and thus you have to make sure you go easy enough not to damage the glass and yet still get the stuff off.

although given that theres an ingraved RB on the left glass I really dont see why they dont just leave it at that, rather than putting that stupid white lettering on it.

also with the tortoise shell's its one of those things where they look better on you than off, as off the entire frame is lit up, and thus looks abit odd, ditto with the polarized lenses too

as they look blue from behind, so it looks a little weird off of the person, but on they look much better on you than off, especially if you have a lighter complexion like I do

Eingefügtes Bild

Eingefügtes Bild

also for the love of god do not buy them with a white frame, as nothing looks dumber than that:

let me put some space here so it doesnt offput the point I'm making with the tortoise shells lol

Eingefügtes Bild

ugh if this was highschool, the jocks would beat this guy up in an instant for this lol

and personally after getting the white label stuff off it I might wear these, the polarized tortoise's a hell of alot more that I did when I got them and a hell of alot more than I usually do with sunglasses in general, as I make a point not to wear them outside of the car as something just feels off about doing so

like I dont know why but it feels rude to me. like take off your glasses when your talking to me and that kinda thing when you see people wearing sunglasses indoors where theres no sun around or on a talk show.

which I actually saw with some woman and her baby indoors at the supermarket at the BJ's of all places.

I mean to quote austin powers, that's just rude baby.

although that might also just be that the black ones just looked too dark on me so I always felt self conscious about it, and these just look abit more natural, the who ray charles look basically.

and are a hell of alot more comfortable than the 3269's given they dont have those stupid plastic tabs on them to jab into my nose

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RAY-BAN-Sunglasses-Black-Frame-RB-3269-006-G-15-Glass-Lenses-/231300447940?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item35da94bec4

and dont look like Agent Smith Glasses

basically these are probably the first real glasses that I really like, although I would check to make sure that the patern on the frames doesnt show through in a spot that might bug you when your trying them on as you can see here

Eingefügtes Bild

you know just make sure you dont have one where the lighter spot is in a place where it would drive you nuts as you can see that when you wear them.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 8 months later...

I just thought I'd add onto this abit as its about 6 to 8 months on, and I can say the advice in that video is still good

this one

but this is still also pertenint to how you want to wear the glasses, as I didnt know that with the non nose pads ones that you want it to be that close to your face and face forming, and that seems to have helped some of the issues I've had with the new wayfarers as of late

and I wouldnt recommend going for that tortus shell style like that that I did 6 to 8 latter, as it has openings in it that allow light in,

7028187319_df63ca612c_b.jpg

5905407609_d20e20ba4e_b.jpg

and rayban did not darken or matt the back of the frame to retard that effect, so it can drive you nuts and I wouldnt recommend that style in general as I've noticed the same effect being used on persol's, although I've retarded that effect with some permanent marker in the right places.

so my recomendations would be to stick with the solid colors, and matt if you can, unless it seems like the frame should shield you from glare on the sides, much like the persol's PO3021S, a good alternative to the rayban new wayfarer in its polarized form, and only 15 more, with a 19mm nose bridge, as most raybans are 18, 16 and 14 it seems.

$_57.JPG

and I think I'm closer to 19/20mm

also with finding the right shades for you, given the price jump of non polarized and polarized, it might be a good idea to start with a non and possibly pre owned, but the prospects of finding legit people in that aspect is dubious at best, and dont bid on anything with a red lined case rayban wise.

but the main difference with the polarized ones comes with water and glare based things more than anything else.

like say you spray your car windshield with water, and look at it from the outside with the sun bearing down on it, it removes that glare and allows you to look straight through

and then if you really like the glasses, go for the full polarized ones, and while bargain hunting and scavenging the pawn shops for things on the cheap has its place, when it comes to your eyes it may be best to buy full retail, as they have yet to make Jordi's Visor a reality.

and for the rayban or persol argument, both are made by the same company, so the glass on both of those companies are apparently trustworthy, which was the reason why I didnt think to look at persol first

as I didnt know they were owned by the same and would have the same quality glass, as Rayban initally made glasses for the military, so they had to be good, much like the M1911 Pistol and the Willies Jeep, as crap their doesnt fly, quite literally lol

Edited by Kavinsky