Episode #105 "Over The Line"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm marking this episode with an 8. It really depicted just how shaded the border between dedicated police work and unlawful justice can be.And the means to keep their organization going was nothing short of felonious, either.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

One of the best s5 eps. Interesting plot, great soundtrack and one of the biggest shootouts in the entire series. Whole episode is rather dark and depressing and it doesn't let you go until the very end. Great episode.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Another good season 5 episode. Such an improvement on season 4. Reminded me of Magnum Force with Clint.Lots of landmarks too. Some big water tower where C&T tell castillo about the gang.Also love the art deco swimming pool where Izzy sels tanning oil to old ladies. Any idea where it is?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Another good season 5 episode. Such an improvement on season 4. Reminded me of Magnum Force with Clint.Lots of landmarks too. Some big water tower where C&T tell castillo about the gang.Also love the art deco swimming pool where Izzy sels tanning oil to old ladies. Any idea where it is?

Interesting' date=' comparing this to Clint Eastwood's 2nd Dirty Harry movie "Magnum Force". There [i']are similarities with the cops gone vigilante, and eventually things spiral out of control...complete with the top cop official turning out to be "dirty" too. I think this was "MV's" version of "Magnum Force". I liked the more "serious" and/or "darker" aspects and how Crockett & Tubbs play out their undercover roles. But, I really loved the beginning...with the ice cream truck and the driver letting the drug dealers know Crockett and Tubbs were there to bust them, by announcing it over the truck's speakers! :) Any idea what car Crockett and Tubbs were sitting in at the very beginning scene? It did not appear to be Tubbs' Caddy or Crockett's Testarossa...but I think a dark colored convertible of some kind. :confused:I liked the plot and how it was carried out...and even though you understood why the "bad" cops were doing what they were...you also saw how wrong and devastating it was. The acting was pretty awesome and in-depth! :clap: Cool song used too, I'm Life by The Fixx! :radio: I really liked the pastel colors used again, and especially the "abandoned" pool where Izzy was trying to sell scam-like tanning gels to the old ladies! :D The colors of the "empty" pool and old diving board were awesome and totally "MV"! :glossy: The action was good too.Overall this is another awesome one from Season 5...I gave it an 8. :cool:
  • Like 3

Very cool episode . Highly recommended :done::cool::D
Agreed...there are several awesome episodes from Season 5' date=' and this is one of them! :clap: I've never understood what the big deal was/is about this season [i']"supposedly" being so horrible? :confused: I guess there is sort of a "darker" tone, so-to-speak, with the last season compared to the previous ones. But, I think that was the series trying to evolve and change with the times...into maybe something a little more realistic. Personally I'll be honest and say I do prefer the show the "original" way--but the majority of the episodes for this last season are still pretty cool! :thumbsup:
Interesting' date=' comparing this to Clint Eastwood's 2nd Dirty Harry movie "Magnum Force". There [i']are similarities with the cops gone vigilante, and eventually things spiral out of control...complete with the top cop official turning out to be "dirty" too. I think this was "MV's" version of "Magnum Force". I liked the more "serious" and/or "darker" aspects and how Crockett & Tubbs play out their undercover roles. But, I really loved the beginning...with the ice cream truck and the driver letting the drug dealers know Crockett and Tubbs were there to bust them, by announcing it over the truck's speakers! :) Any idea what car Crockett and Tubbs were sitting in at the very beginning scene? It did not appear to be Tubbs' Caddy or Crockett's Testarossa...but I think a dark colored convertible of some kind. :confused:I liked the plot and how it was carried out...and even though you understood why the "bad" cops were doing what they were...you also saw how wrong and devastating it was. The acting was pretty awesome and in-depth! :clap: Cool song used too, I'm Life by The Fixx! :radio: I really liked the pastel colors used again, and especially the "abandoned" pool where Izzy was trying to sell scam-like tanning gels to the old ladies! :D The colors of the "empty" pool and old diving board were awesome and totally "MV"! :glossy: The action was good too.Overall this is another awesome one from Season 5...I gave it an 8. :cool:

• 1 year later...

It's another episode which demonstrates just how hard Tubbs and Crockett are struggling to follow their professions and not slip into revenge or vigilantism, when they can easily empathize with their disgust and frustration for how criminals can get off easily and the difficult, tedious work to convict and send them to prison. 

The private discussion between Castillo, Crockett, and Tubbs explicitly revealed that struggle in grappling their own adherence to the job.  Castillo's statement on how the police and this rogue organization differ is the degree to which they are willing to accomplish their objective.  With the rogue organization of cops, it's focused on solely taking down the criminals while with the police, they strongly weigh and try to avoid involving innocents to prevent "collateral damage" with the objective they take.

A great episode that magnifies the struggle Tubbs and Crockett face, when they can increasingly empathize with the experiences of those rogue members.

Edited by Vice Immersion

I've only watched this episode twice, but based on that I'd give it a solid 7. There are some great scenes here, as mentioned above, specifically Castillo, Crockett, and Tubb's discussion.

I do have a perhaps amusing odd question. There is a thug sporting a classic "80's bad guy look" featured in this episode....bald mullet, suspenders, gold chains (if memory serves me correctly). He has that look that immediately tells you he is going to get killed by the end of the show. However, the last time I see him he is stepping out of or standing beside a car just before the big gun battle near the end. Bullets fly, guys get shot, right up until Crockett corners Stevens. Unless I am mistaken, or my DVD has a glitch, the bald mullet guy is never seen in the fight, or again? Does anyone else notice this? Did the actor not show up for work or perhaps he just get edited out or forgotten? Maybe I'm just missing it somehow.

I have just started my next run through the series so I'm back on season one, but I will give this episode another quick view tonight and see if I spot him. Cheers.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The good is the opening sequence, the music, the Izzy scene, the Magnum Force like plot, and the finale.

I just don't care for the rest of it. Not very entertained by it. The one villain in the white suit that Tubbs busted at the end was terrible.

5/10

• 2 months later...

Watched this one again tonight. This is a 5th season episode I enjoy...if the show had come back for a 6th season I think Commisioner Highsmith would have returned for an episode where Crockett and Tubbs would have finally gotten to bust him. ;) But...wasn't to be. 

But, my actual point to this post is probably somewhat goofy or ridiculous...but the main bad guy that headed up the vigilante group, Walter Stevens I think...I swear this guy sounded  exactly like Vincent Price! Lol! :) Just a useless observation. :p

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Am I the only The Big Lebowski fan here who tends to refer to this episode as "Over the Line, Smoky!"?  Just me?  OK. :cool:

I cracked up at Izzy's pirated image of Nastassja Kinski and the snake - implying he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman? 

Pretty good episode - it maybe could have used a bit more pizzazz.  I could see this fitting into Season 2, which is a good or a bad thing depending on whether or not you like MV as a string of stand-alone episodes or a throughline of disillusion. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 8/23/2013 at 2:01 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Definitely, I got a "Magnum Force' vibe from this episode as well. I just thought that this was an excellent episode to have at the tail end of the series to reinforce Crockett's continued disgust with the outcomes of law enforcement investigations.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Watched this a few evenings ago. My S5 favorite and up there with the best of the series in my own personal opinion. Very entertaining, dark and deep at the same time. It deals with the recurring theme of C&T slow burn out (reaching the max at that stage late S5) and disillusionment with law enforcement. The 'damn' line, as DJ puts it, it's getting harder and harder to see. To some degree Sonny and Rico do understand where their rogue counterparts are coming from and can empathize. Yet they accept their offer to join the club only to build a case and to ultimately nail them and the baddies they are after. A pivotal episode moment for me is the shooting of the two uniformed cops calling door to door for Commissioner Highsmith campaign (damn him!); Stevens crew doesn't really care about the fellow officers, two brothers got shot by those dealers they were watching. But they were just interested in their own agenda, no concern about collateral damage. That in my opinion was the actual line C&T felt it couldn't be crossed. Sonny even called it in (as citizen to keep his "cover") after that shooting.

Loved all the action scenes, from the trailer until the end. I wonder why the hell Tubbs goes straight for the ice cream van just leaving his partner on his own when he breaks inside the house where Tommy Tee and the rest of the goofballs were...god knows there could be one or more suspects armed with automatic rifles to take Sonny by surprise...I know Tubbs was meant to go around the back but Crockett meant the back of the house...not the ice cream van :)

I liked the climatic ending and it was crystal clear Highsmith was the mastermind of this 'bad cops' secret organization. Stevens is shot dead as to ensure he wouldn't spill the beans. Crockett didn't buy the police Commissioner version of self defense or trying to protect the detective..go figure! The very last scene is a nice touch. I like the way the camera fades out abruptly as Sonny turns the TV off.

Last but not least, i love Tubbs S5 outfits. The shirt and jackets in the late episodes are very cool!

In my mind, 'over the line' deserves a solid 9/10.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2013 at 7:01 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Any idea what car Crockett and Tubbs were sitting in at the very beginning scene? It did not appear to be Tubbs' Caddy or Crockett's Testarossa...but I think a dark colored convertible of some kind.

I got the same impression...this is a goof as explained below:

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Over_the_Line

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I got the same impression...this is a goof as explained below:

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Over_the_Line

Yeah, I’ve seen the MV-wiki pages for the episodes...not sure this was a “goof” persay, but it is an interesting aspect, as it may be the only time (in Miami) that C&T were shown in a different car that wasn’t one of the Ferraris or the Caddy. Maybe a scene was cut, that previously explained the ‘mystery’ car? 

• Like 1

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

Yeah, I’ve seen the MV-wiki pages for the episodes...not sure this was a “goof” persay, but it is an interesting aspect, as it may be the only time (in Miami) that C&T were shown in a different car that wasn’t one of the Ferraris or the Caddy. Maybe a scene was cut, that previously explained the ‘mystery’ car? 

yeah I think the scene must have been cut...the car in question was a Chevrolet Impala convertible. I've seen the actor playing the part of sgt. Walter Stevens in the Bodyguard movie with Kevin Costner.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This seemed to sort of be MV's version of Magnum Force...with the cops gone vigilante. I liked the more serious and/or "darker" aspects and how Crockett & Tubbs play out their undercover roles.

But, I really liked the beginning...with the ice cream truck and the driver letting the drug dealers know Crockett and Tubbs were there to bust them, by announcing it over the truck's speakers! :) Any idea what car Crockett and Tubbs were sitting in at the very beginning scene? It did not appear to be Tubbs' Caddy or Crockett's Testarossa...but I think a dark colored convertible of some kind?

I liked the plot and how it was carried out...and even though you understood why the "bad" cops were doing what they were...you also saw how wrong and devastating it was. The acting was also  pretty awesome and in-depth! :clap:

Cool song used too, I'm Life by The Fixx! :radio: I really liked the pastel colors used again, and especially the abandoned pool where Izzy was trying to sell scam-like tanning gels to the old ladies! :p The colors of the "empty" pool and old diving board were awesome and totally MV! :glossy: The action was good too.

Overall this is another pretty good one from Season 5...I originally gave it an 8, but that might have been a little high. I’d probably give it a 7-7.5. :cool:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/13/2020 at 4:43 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

Am I the only The Big Lebowski fan here who tends to refer to this episode as "Over the Line, Smoky!"?  Just me?  OK. :cool:

I cracked up at Izzy's pirated image of Nastassja Kinski and the snake - implying he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman? 

Pretty good episode - it maybe could have used a bit more pizzazz.  I could see this fitting into Season 2, which is a good or a bad thing depending on whether or not you like MV as a string of stand-alone episodes or a throughline of disillusion. 

I agree with my above review from almost 15 months ago.  An enjoyable enough meat 'n' potatoes episode.  (Meaning it's nothing grand or iconic, but is still a satisfying meal.)  

Tubbs' Dr. Dinky (and what kind of creepy name is that for an ice-cream cart driver?) and Tommy Tee summary reminding Crockett of nursery rhymes is funny.  I also like some of the drab, but beautiful settings like the sun-beaten empty pool where Izzy plies his not-so-FDA-approved wares.  There are also some quite melodramatic settings too, such as the backlit "Magnum Force" scene where Crockett and Tubbs are introduced to the vigilantes.  

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Cool song used too, I'm Life by The Fixx! :radio: I really liked the pastel colors used again, and especially the abandoned pool where Izzy was trying to sell scam-like tanning gels to the old ladies! :p The colors of the "empty" pool and old diving board were awesome and totally MV! :glossy: The action was good too.

Yes!  You described the desolate lazy afternoon mood of this scene better than I did. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 10:28 PM, ViceFanMan said:

It did not appear to be Tubbs' Caddy or Crockett's Testarossa...but I think a dark colored convertible of some kind?

Were they sitting in Gina's car?

Do you think Crockett figured Highsmith shot dead Stevens cause he knew too much and could spill the beans? That's very likely, just watch the final scene when he switches off the TV set on Highsmith public speech. And I don't think Castillo liked Highsmith either...

And why would anyone send two off- duty cops in uniform to collect signatures? Though I understand their killing was functional to the plot, as to show how unlawful and criminal Stevens crew was.

Like 'Miami Squeeze', this episode has Castillo having breakfast/lunch with a high ranking department officer. Even watching this first time it screams politics!

Just an observation: Tubbs barges in the room where Hawkins and Escalante are doing 'business'. They quickly surrender and Escalante attempts to make a call to his lawyer and Tubbs order him to stop. At that point he's only looking at Escalante while Hawkins is kind of 'unguarded'. Had he got  gun with him he could have shot Tubbs, attempt an escape and take his chances. Even if he had pulled it right there, he would have got captured or killed by other cops outside...

Edited by sdiegolo78