Daytona Keychain

jurassic narc

No problem...I love to do stuff like this. Wait 'til ya see the stickers I'm planning on having made up....:p Key chains may take a week or two and I'm thinking of a run of about ten or so at this time, depends on the interest:thumbsup:....Mike

OK' date=' He wasn't very enthusiastic with it, yet I had to use some charm...And it's a go. I'll pick up some 1/8th inch thick, 1 inch wide strip of stainless later this week. Finished, it would be 1"X3" with the letters approx 1/2" tall cut in our CNC mill...letters will be anywhere from ..020"-.040" deep-We'll have to experiment.......Takers? Other ideas? Brass, maybe?? I appreciate your thoughts...Mike[/quote']Just scale the blank off of the picture...the key head and key ring should give you a fairly easy method...I would just suggest to radius (edges and keyring hole) the entire thing once it's done in your CNC....You shouldn't run into any copyrights/logo infringement, since it's just a word, unless you start marketing these as 'authentic or factory-authorized' items....You may want to try some character fill on a couple, maybe in black or Fer.Red to make it stand out....

JCM, thanx for the idea, I appreciate it....I'm gonna start off with a run of 10 or so. My CNC guy just ripped off a small block in three different cutter styles and they are sweet to say the least and only .010 deep. I can't wait to get some stock and get to these. I'll post some pics later today of the 3 samples as I'm at work right now. Not too concerned about the copyright thing as these are only for us VICE enthusiasts on this site.......I'm tying to keep these simple and stainless seems like the way to go with a light brushed finish to them and definitely the ring hole chamfered and radius's on the corners....Narc, stinger, and......7 others? Mike

Just scale the blank off of the picture...the key head and key ring should give you a fairly easy method

Always make it look like the real thing or, what's the point.How many key lengths will the keychain be using the dvd shot. One can estimate.It looked more like a brass to me, but I'm not an expert on metal.

Here's a pic of a TEST block. It's only a block of cold rolled steel and I'm ONLY looking at the lettering....I like the top and love the bottom...Keep in mind that the lettering is 1/2"- 5/8" tall and the Ferrari is 2.5" long....Should work geat on a 1X3 piece for a keychain.....Whatcha think??....Mike

post-567-13892962898615_thumb.jpg

I'm with you on the bottom one. I compared my AMX card to the one in the photo and 1 X 3 seems about right. As far as the material, it is really hard to tell what it is due to the lighting. So, I can go with brass or stainless. I think either would look great!

Always make it look like the real thing or' date=' what's the point.How many key lengths will the keychain be using the dvd shot. One can estimate.It looked more like a brass to me, but I'm not an expert on metal.[/quote']I haven't reviewed the episode, just the screen capture shown on the thread...It very well could be a brushed / polished brass. Stainless would be much harder (Rockwell) than Alum or Brass, and less likely to get dings...Can't wait to see the pics of the prototypes....

Coupla more .....

Drop a key next to it for scale...they all look really nice...C&B suggested using Brass...any scrap stock around ?>?? That would be cool to see as well....I say put a 'surcharge' or 'site tax' to support/fund this site, in addition to the T&M and shipping charges....if you make a go at it....looks like you must have about a dozen or so on the 'pre-sold' list....

Coupla more .....

Note the "E", the center 'arm' is centered on the screen capture's version...however your sample run the center arm appears moved towards the upper arm location...similar to the F as well....Just my observations...you may wish to choose a different FONT within your CNC program to authenticate the font layout....

I take it that there's no way to blow up the screen shot in order to scan the letters font perfectly from the real object?

As near as I can tell (a Georgia expression) it only appears in the one scene from HEART OF DARKNESS. I can't find a scene or a photo where it was used in the car during the run of the series.

I have a screen capture that allows me to blow it up on my monitor. I have tried to examine the font, and it appears to me that ICEMANMIKE has done the best anyone can do in matching the font. When you allow for the angle of the item in the photo there does appear to be a slight difference in the middle line in the E and F, just like the one ICEMANMIKE chose. I thought the Rs were different, but when you look at ICEMANMIKE's samples photographed at a slight angle, they look more the same.I had a keychain like this several years ago which was stainless steel, same look, etc, except it was for a BMW. I tend to believe they were from the same manufacturer. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Note the "E"' date=' the center 'arm' is centered on the screen capture's version...however your sample run the center arm appears moved towards the upper arm location...similar to the F as well....Just my observations...you may wish to choose a different FONT within your CNC program to authenticate the font layout....[/quote']Not sure what type of machining center, or font library program is available. The screen capture is at a slight angle, which makes identifying which font and line weight is used. The samples show two examples using ball tools...can anyone post a screen capture in more of a flat attitude ?http://flamingcurmudgeon.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/helvetica-poster.jpgHelvetica Capital Letter Examples shown above (link)...

Not sure what type of machining center' date=' or font library program is available. The screen capture is at a slight angle, which makes identifying which font and line weight is used. The samples show two examples using ball tools...can anyone post a screen capture in more of a flat attitude?[/quote']It only appears in two angles. This is the other. Neither is very clear.

post-109-13892962899713_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any idea where I might find a keychain like the one used in Heart of Darkness?

I just saw this again in the scene in "The Great McCarthy" where Sonny plays pool with McCarthy - it looks brass to me as well.

Here's a pic of a TEST block. It's only a block of cold rolled steel and I'm ONLY looking at the lettering....I like the top and love the bottom...Keep in mind that the lettering is 1/2"- 5/8" tall and the Ferrari is 2.5" long....Should work geat on a 1X3 piece for a keychain.....Whatcha think??....Mike

Bottom one is good but if I could throw a stick in the spokes I also like the middle one too??? It seems to have a slightly thicker font?Did you program that on a CNC, or do you have an actual letter cutting pattern tracer?

• 2 weeks later...

Everything cut on CNC...Including the tooling, figure around 1.2 million $$ machine...Looks like my R's are gonna need some work on these...Here's some pics of the finish product...I have 5 available...PM me for the skinny...I need name and address for shipping..These are 1"X3" and only .060" thick and are the trial run...The next batch a little bit thicker and the font may change....Comments

post-567-1389296290101_thumb.jpg

post-567-13892962901199_thumb.jpg

post-567-1389296290138_thumb.jpg

post-567-13892962901561_thumb.jpg

These look great!I'm sure the next generation keychains will be even better!This would go great with a Crockett collecton with a badge, watch, shades, etc.I don't see things like this and prop passports on other sites.What OTHER Miami Vice website has such incredible talent and dedication?None.