Badge of Dishonor

Matt5

Other locations - :D

Filming Locations
  • SW 3rd Ave/SW 4th St/Miami River/I-95 (Morega stopped by SBPD and shot)
  • Jose Marti Park, 351 SW 4th Street at Miami River (Tubbs chases Montana)
  • Next to Miamarina at Bayside, Downtown Miami (Dominguez' yacht)
  • 1050 NW North River Drive, near crossroad with NW 10th Court (Warehouse lair of dirty cops)
  • Miami Avenue Bridge / South Miami Place (Montana's Soup Kitchen)
  • Behind Freedom Tower at NW 6th St (Final scene, Crockett/Tubbs leave soup kitchen)

• 6 months later...

"The river has always been South Beach jurisdiction"

That line sounds so silly if you just look at a map. I guess they had to have an excuse to involve another department.

When I was first studying this ep for locations years ago. the scene where the two cops pull over Escobar and shoot him seemed so interesting to me. I thought it was a cool Miami location I've never seen before somewhere on the north side of the river. I was disappointed when I realized it was just the same area we've seen before, just filmed from a different angle.

;(

It was the same thing with the Streetwise meeting under the Brickell bridge.

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

"The river has always been South Beach jurisdiction"

That line sounds so silly if you just look at a map. I guess they had to have an excuse to involve another department.

When I was first studying this ep for locations years ago. the scene where the two cops pull over Escobar and shoot him seemed so interesting to me. I thought it was a cool Miami location I've never seen before somewhere on the north side of the river. I was disappointed when I realized it was just the same area we've seen before, just filmed from a different angle.

;(

It was the same thing with the Streetwise meeting under the Brickell bridge.

Yes good point 

• 3 years later...

I spent a little time looking at the end shootout scene and I know it’s been identified previously on the river at NW11th Avenue but there’s a lot of detail I wanted to add. The warehouse has gone as we know and been replaced by a 5 story residential building. 

But where the team are is relatively unchanged on the corner of NW11th Avenue and NW North River Drive. We see NW 11th Avenue behind Crockett and the two houses we see clearly are pretty much the same as in early 1988.

48C61B77-9946-41E1-A8D6-FAD8D489F03D.jpeg

91DB1A43-BA58-4866-8AD4-7585238E9751.jpeg

F6108E41-033D-428A-AE1C-4D52D7D3367A.jpeg

C87160CF-9C1E-4D8C-A9AB-9A2C1D95EEBD.jpeg

Carrying on from above post- When Crockett moves to the river just opposite and between NW11th Avenue - NW 10th Court on NW N. River Drive he would have been standing behind the new apartment building / small park there. The red arrow points to the building we see as Crockett shoots and is still there Today.

The green circle shows the new apartment building and the yellow circle the area where the team are located outlined in my post above.

211DB09D-56E6-4235-A9A1-D1DCC55A8D77.jpeg

928BE78C-A2CB-416A-8BA8-2B10B43FA35C.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’m back in Brickell today and I will be revisiting Jose Marti Park featured extensively in this episode today.

Edited by Matt5

19 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I’m back in Brickell today and I will be revisiting Jose Marti Park featured extensively in this episode today.

There’s a really fun merry-go-round at the park now :p

Edited by Dadrian

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

There’s a really fun merry-go-round at the park now :p

Yes it’s called avoid the drunks, bums  and drug dealers there :)

Edited by Matt5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes it’s called avoid the drunks, bums  and drug dealers there :)

Haha we did that too

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Shame this park is so run down.

The play area was not ran down at all, but appeared very recently remodeled when I was there in March. I wish they would restore the entire park to the way it looked in MV days. 

• Like 1

I've never been approached by a beggar in Miami despite plenty of homeless people.  Is this because the local government/police don't tolerate pan-handling?

No, unless they have recently enforced a new policy, which is unlikely.  A few years ago I got pestered a lot but haven't walked or driven downtown lately.

There are a lot of homeless and crazies downtown and by the beach but they don’t really approach you. Also on the old Port of Miami bridge there were only 2 homeless on there when I went over so I would now recommend going over if you can in daylight.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

New location found!

When Montana gets booked into jail, this was filmed at the Miami-Dade County Pre-Trial Detention Center at 1321 NW 13th St.

@DJAngel was present for the filming of this scene on Feb 22, 1988

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/2502-miami-vice-~-2nd-trip-to-miami-feb-1988/

The warehouse was at NW N River Dr & NW 10th Ct, so it was more like a 4-5 blocks away.

djabadge.png.177681c7e5804702f50f18b9470c29f8.png

• Like 2

vor 18 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

New location found!

When Montana gets booked into jail, this was filmed at the Miami-Dade County Pre-Trial Detention Center at 1321 NW 13th St.

@DJAngel was present for the filming of this scene on Feb 22, 1988

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/2502-miami-vice-~-2nd-trip-to-miami-feb-1988/

The warehouse was at NW N River Dr & NW 10th Ct, so it was more like a 4-5 blocks away.

djabadge.png.177681c7e5804702f50f18b9470c29f8.png

Great attention to details!

@C Glide should know this too to update his location page.

We also have another unconfirmed location in this ep that could have been filmed there too. The police warehouse. See picture. I doubt that this was another completely different location and will look out tonight if I find a fitting building with parking lot around the detention center.

94ACC442-3D2E-43A8-AAB2-5FDC76EEA67F.png

This police warehouse is a tough nut. The appearance is like a big police station including warehouse and parking lots directly at the front. I scanned the whole complex around the PreTrial Detention Center but no match. 

The sign above the entrance "South Beach Quartermaster Store Room" is not much help for several reasons: 

1. It could all be fake. The question is just how much effort they wanted to take for these two short scenes to travel and to decorate (one exterior when C&T go to the car, one interior when they question the quartermaster). Upon closer look, the sign above the door, as the "police parking only" signs could be fake, the storage could be a garden variety storage with just 10 M16s and a few handguns placed close to the camera just for this scene (there is no other clue in the scene that this is really a police storage) . What really baffles me is that the police cars outside are really marked as "South Beach Police" cars - did they really go that far to re-decorate several police vehicles for a 5 second scene on TV?. Although South Beach is a familiar term used by locals for South Miami Beach, there was -up to my knowledge - never a real "South Beach Police" unit but only "Miami Beach Police" - in this episode, the River unit of Dominguez is called "South Beach Special Ops" and Castillo mentions that the "River has always been South Beach jurisdiction", but this makes no sense as the Miami River is part of Miami and a long way from Miami Beach, a different city.

2. I searched for all Miami Police quartermaster, property or other police related compounds I could find. Of course, they will not publish the addresses for obvious reasons! But I checked one site in Doral, the other Police locations in the series (NW 2Ave, the training center in One way ticket, ....), but no fitting building. The distinctive clue in the scene is the parking close to the building with at least two entrances and the windows in the front facade. Even if the building facade was changed, these key elements would be still likely the same.

Currently, I am stumped. I thought this would be easy. Location logistics would have said the short jail scenes and the police warehouse must be the same location or close.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• The interior scene looks like the same building as the parking lot scene.
  • When the cop car drives by, it approaches a security gate.  It's some kind of secure facility.
  • When searching from overhead satellite view, the key feature is the diagonal parking spaces.
  • For logistics, it could be near the jail/river, the studio, or the final scene behind Freedom Tower.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb airtommy:
  • The interior scene looks like the same building as the parking lot scene.
  • When the cop car drives by, it approaches a security gate.  It's some kind of secure facility.
  • When searching from overhead satellite view, the key feature is the diagonal parking spaces.
  • For logistics, it could be near the jail/river, the studio, or the final scene behind Freedom Tower.

Agree to all and used it, but yet a wash so far.

• 1 month later...

(LAST) UNKNOWN LOCATION: POLICE STORAGE ROOM

There is not any single scene filmed outside of downtown in this episode, thus I conclude this police storage (if it is/was in reality) must be in downtown too. No way they travelled somewhere else for a scene that lasts less than 10 seconds. On the other hand, we have the consulate scene in Rock and a hard place where they travelled 5 miles for nothing (no show of the building in the background).

My conclusion of the picture is: this ain´t a real police storage as all the weapons stolen in the scene look artificially placed in front of the camera (all other items on the shelves look like a garden variety storage of any kind). But there are lots of decoration efforts  shown here that make this case mysterious: are these all fake police signs, fake police cars (there was no South Beach police), fake officers?. Too much effort for 10 seconds scene?!

Biggest clues: the intended base of the building, the windows, the height, the diagonal parking.

Also pay attention to the green background of the building on the other side. There seems to be a unique building with red pattern. At first, I thought this is a medivac car, but it seems to be not (too high, not moving).

P.S. I´ve checked the surrounding of all known locations of this ep carefully, but nothing.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 22.15.31.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-23 um 22.15.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-24 um 11.59.08.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

(LAST) UNKNOWN LOCATION: POLICE STORAGE ROOM

There is not any single scene filmed outside of downtown in this episode, thus I conclude this police storage (if it is/was in reality) must be in downtown too. No way they travelled somewhere else for a scene that lasts less than 10 seconds. On the other hand, we have the consulate scene in Rock and a hard place where they travelled 5 miles for nothing (no show of the building in the background).

My conclusion of the picture is: this ain´t a real police storage as all the weapons stolen in the scene look artificially placed in front of the camera (all other items on the shelves look like a garden variety storage of any kind). But there are lots of decoration efforts  shown here that make this case mysterious: are these all fake police signs, fake police cars (there was no South Beach police), fake officers?. Too much effort for 10 seconds scene?!

Biggest clues: the intended base of the building, the windows, the height, the diagonal parking.

Also pay attention to the green background of the building on the other side. There seems to be a unique building with red pattern. At first, I thought this is a medivac car, but it seems to be not (too high, not moving).

P.S. I´ve checked the surrounding of all known locations of this ep carefully, but nothing.

following your rationale of this kind of elaborate redressing/decoration efforts not making sense for a 10 second scene I'm starting to believe that this actually was a police or government storage location. There is in fact police material in these storage compartments if I'm not mistaken, and I doubt they would have hauled all this to a public warehouse whatsoever just for this, let alone obtaining all the kind of stuff I'm pointing out below just for this purpose and only to go unnoticed by most viewers:

grafik.thumb.png.d562f525dea22200569f4ee6f52afc3b.png

the white/red thing behind the building could be a fire truck, although they seem to be red in Miami Dade:

grafik.png.fa25804f140ca4dbdf5e0a0da42751ab.png

White Fire Truck | Fire trucks, Trucks, Fire engine

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

vor 37 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

following your rationale of this kind of elaborate redressing/decoration efforts not making sense for a 10 second scene I'm starting to believe that this actually was a police or government storage location. There is in fact police material in these storage compartments if I'm not mistaken, and I doubt they would have hauled all this to a public warehouse whatsoever just for this, let alone obtaining all the kind of stuff I'm pointing out below just for this purpose and only to go unnoticed by most viewers:

grafik.thumb.png.d562f525dea22200569f4ee6f52afc3b.png

the white/red thing behind the building could be a fire truck, although they seem to be red in Miami Dade:

grafik.png.fa25804f140ca4dbdf5e0a0da42751ab.png

White Fire Truck | Fire trucks, Trucks, Fire engine

Interesting! I missed the helmets. That would indicate a real storage. But: there was never a South Beach police as far as I know, only Miami Beach police. And, I have searched extensively for police storage rooms and have not found anything, neither officially nor (if not listed) a similar building in downtown.

the livery of the police car looks genuine, except for the "South Beach" denotation:

https://79hbm1979mg58bnh1fp50y1bry-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/044Miami-horse-police.jpg

the helmets on the shelf look like fire rescue helmets, and the red bags underneath could be fire rescue equipment as well so maybe this was a joint facility for several government services:

grafik.png.18529f611219c7539021b9392d153f74.png  grafik.png.91267a6a1dda5cfc4dff5201a77bd43e.png

Edited by daytona365