SaabKyle's Testarossa Walkthrough

Kavinsky

That's a hot set of wheels. The Musician Kavinsky likes it too. Un-assisted steering? That's rough with that much power; 387HP. Straight on rear views around 7:24 and 7:42 are crazy!

what got me was the info about how the airflow worked around the radiator, as even I didnt know it did that,

namely that bit where he talked about how the air is pulled through the radiators on the side and is released through the rear deck lid to release the pressure and create downforce

I mean that is pretty advanced thinking for 1985, as its only just now that your really seeing that on modern Ferrari's and Mclarens

plus what else he said there, that that particular car was the first V12 Ferrari to be offered in america since 1973, the last being the daytona itself.

so if you put that into perspective that ment the only us car you could get that was a V12 was the lamborghini countach, which started up in 1973/1974, about the same time Ferrari left the US market.

so maybe that's why the countach was so photographed and idolized, it was the only game in town US wise, unless you went to a grey market ferrari importer like Markadian.

plus that also would explain the sudden change from the Testarossa to the 550 Marinello

where people just wanted something more low key and vintage like, like the daytona, the car that came from before it in the 1990s, as the market shifted and people wanted a car that wouldnt get noticed.

also I must admit I of course like the testarossa but I really wish they hadnt gone for bright white with the amount of roof space that it's got that's covered in a flat gloss white after living with a model of it for a few months, namely the grey metalic (Giorgio something) with a red interior would have really countrasted the car beautifully

http://www.flickr.com/photos/countrushmore/4399892732

Eingefügtes Bild

or that white metalic color that modern audi supercars are covered in

Eingefügtes Bild

as that would have suited the darker seasons of the show abit better, and alowed the way the car looks to reflect better in the sun

plus I wish they had made a slight tweak to the bumper, something I just figured out by putting white electrical tape on my kyosho model of it a few days ago, only to come to realise this simple mod really makes the front bumper look far better

Eingefügtes Bild

as I had tried modding it to look like the ferrari 348, and the 512 TR abit and neither worked, but that did without changing its identity

as by removing one line of that radiator cover and putting a little bit more bodypaint there completely rebalances and pefects the nose of the car without making it seem too modern, as it now lines up proportionally with the black grill on the nose and the sides.

as it means that the nose is 3 grills thick, while the side is 5, rather than 4/5, as you gotta figure the front spoiler is probably 2 grills thick on its own.

and I plan to make those mods to the model kit I have of it, plus this explains why the cars with euro plates on them always seemed to look better to me, as it gave the nose more definition, as that was the one that was knocking it out of proportion vs the countach in that camp

Edited by Kavinsky

actually its funny about the unassisted steering thing, Harry Metcalfe just purchased a Testarossa at an auction recently about a month ago while his Countach was in for a bodywork overhaul on its fiberglass hull

and had this happen to him

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/509664124289421313

and he also had to get the fuel injection system cleaned out from a lack of driving from the previous owner, but he loves the thing now, although I've heard and come across a few ferrari daytona's and Ghibli's with retrofitted power steering from a Land Rover

and one of the daytona's was a car retrofitted to competition model specs, which actually had a system you could literally turn on and off based on when you needed it, which would probably be ideal for the testarossa and any of the old cars like that, so you could turn that on and off based on your mood.

and even Crockett had this same problem in one of the season 3 episodes. almost the exact same parking job, in everybody is in show buisness, when there checking out the pier for a body I think

at 1:19 here from an original VHS video of it, in Japanease apparently:

vs DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6Phrj2Rbw

I mean you can just see the trouble he's having with it, its almost scene for scene actually.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 11 months later...

what got me was the info about how the airflow worked around the radiator, as even I didnt know it did that,

namely that bit where he talked about how the air is pulled through the radiators on the side and is released through the rear deck lid to release the pressure and create downforce

I mean that is pretty advanced thinking for 1985, as its only just now that your really seeing that on modern Ferrari's and Mclarens

plus what else he said there, that that particular car was the first V12 Ferrari to be offered in america since 1973, the last being the daytona itself.

so if you put that into perspective that ment the only us car you could get that was a V12 was the lamborghini countach, which started up in 1973/1974, about the same time Ferrari left the US market.

so maybe that's why the countach was so photographed and idolized, it was the only game in town US wise, unless you went to a grey market ferrari importer like Markadian.

plus that also would explain the sudden change from the Testarossa to the 550 Marinello

where people just wanted something more low key and vintage like, like the daytona, the car that came from before it in the 1990s, as the market shifted and people wanted a car that wouldnt get noticed.

also I must admit I of course like the testarossa but I really wish they hadnt gone for bright white with the amount of roof space that it's got that's covered in a flat gloss white after living with a model of it for a few months, namely the grey metalic (Giorgio something) with a red interior would have really countrasted the car beautifully

http://www.flickr.com/photos/countrushmore/4399892732

4551865998_6aa330dae7_o.jpg

or that white metalic color that modern audi supercars are covered in

800px-2005-03-04_Motorshow_Geneva_043.JP

as that would have suited the darker seasons of the show abit better, and alowed the way the car looks to reflect better in the sun

plus I wish they had made a slight tweak to the bumper, something I just figured out by putting white electrical tape on my kyosho model of it a few days ago, only to come to realise this simple mod really makes the front bumper look far better

gallery_471_5_323360.jpg

as I had tried modding it to look like the ferrari 348, and the 512 TR abit and neither worked, but that did without changing its identity

as by removing one line of that radiator cover and putting a little bit more bodypaint there completely rebalances and pefects the nose of the car without making it seem too modern, as it now lines up proportionally with the black grill on the nose and the sides.

as it means that the nose is 3 grills thick, while the side is 5, rather than 4/5, as you gotta figure the front spoiler is probably 2 grills thick on its own.

and I plan to make those mods to the model kit I have of it, plus this explains why the cars with euro plates on them always seemed to look better to me, as it gave the nose more definition, as that was the one that was knocking it out of proportion vs the countach in that camp

The White TR in your picture is mine.  Its from an auction that took place about 3 months befor I took posession.  If you look closely at the front of the pic you will see a small black strip under the front yellow Ferrari logo on the hood.  They shut the hood and got the rubber rain diverter caught between the hood and the bumper.  Over time I googled White TR and its surprising how many times I was able to pick out my specific TR.  Its like the old saying goes, "A mother knows her own!"

heh I gotta admit when i wrote that I was disapointed with how good the 1/18 kyosho model of the TR was, that special miami vice version they had done, so I was kind of half venting about it when i wrote that, as I had literally done that tape thing to see if maybe I could make it look better with some white electrical tape, hence why I used that photo of your car unknowingly as the basis of that modified picture from the finecars.cc website

as for what I paid for it was pathetic, no two bits about it, and that is the last time in my life I ever pay full price for a Kyosho model period although fortune smiled on me latter, when I aquired this.

gallery_471_5_26270.jpg

so for 280 in total spend, and I got the kyosho one for 200, and this for 80, and that made up for it in spades, they normally go for about atleast double that, although not sure if the shipping was free, although the shape and the way the wheels stick out bugged me abit so I ended up liking the 1/43 make up Koenig one, that was in white metalic incidentally a hell of alot better, although I am very proud to have that one even if I dont display it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Make-Up-EIDOLON-1-43-KOENIG-Ferrari-Testarossa-710PS-Pearl-white-BBS-Wheel-/331532877298?nma=true&si=2dslocQn3WTHau7IRmXHLgjhMz0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and that one, would you believe no one wanted it and I got that for 30 from the same seller who had the MV TR? like week after week, I was like seriously? no one is gonna bid on this?!

and I was like fuck it i'll do it then. 

and to give you an idea of how much detail is in these little things, and this is 1/43 scale, not 1/18 like the kyosho TR one

and it blows it out of the water, and there going for the same damn price as the Kyosho ones new in 1/18 scale and its not even a compairson

now with the koenig one I have in a desk drawer that I use frequently from a top down view and I just like it that way, as I'm abit like Castillo in that way, I like my desks clean, neat and without any distractions. and If I have a news paper around I frequently shove it on the floor or out of my face so I can enjoy the day so I dont have to worry about some god damn headline in my face day in and day out.

as then I'm liable to want to burn the f'ing thing.

but at the very least now you know why I modifed the photo there, I was fuming about how bad the model was, literally the steering column was out of wack, some of the fitment of the headlights was off so it skinned some of the paint off, the car sat too high and the wheels just didnt look right, and there was like a glue residue mark on the windshield to top it off that I had to fix like that too.

and that was the third one like that too, all the kyosho models are like that, hell the windshield fell out of my countach model when it arrived on chrsitmas, and the clamshell on the miura was screwed up

I had to take the damn thing apart to fix it with some electrical tape for god sakes lol ugh just makes me angry just thinking about it lol

So Miami Vice Fans avoid kyosho like the plague, and if you gotta buy one, buy it second hand at half price with good photos that go over every inch of the model, as they have some of the worst QC in the buisness.

stick to autoart, and Paragon Models/Model Icons for the 1/18, EIDOLON/Make Up, and looksmart for the 1/43's if you can

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310964006147?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252084415791?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201095178297?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and there is a few other good 1/18's as I remember coming across an OTTO something that made an excelent porsche 911 targa model, and I think was even the same SC model Crockett used in the Deliver Us From Evil episode actually, white though, along with minichamps and spark, although the minichamps 1/43's are no where near the quality of the make up eidolon or looksmart models.

not even close, 1/18 though that is a different matter, then their fine model cars, but 1/43's have a much better advantage, its much easier to store them lol

not sure about the hotwheels one though, never tried it, but it cant be worse than the kyosho one in 1/18 scale.

although I must admit with the minichamps I have been eyeing the LP400 Countach in Yellow and the orange 914. as that countach model looks pretty damn good really.

Edited by Kavinsky