Hearts of Darkness on O'Reilly Factor

Tony D.

A Retired Colonel told Bill O'Reilly as many of the ISIS terrorists must be killed as possible and it would put fear in them and give them a "heart of darkness." My ears perked up and I said to my wife, " that's the 2nd episode of Miami Vice!

I'm probably the only listener who picked up on the relationship to Miami Vice! LOL.

• Like 2

A Retired Colonel told Bill O'Reilly as many of the ISIS terrorists must be killed as possible and it would put fear in them and give them a "heart of darkness." My ears perked up and I said to my wife, " that's the 2nd episode of Miami Vice!I'm probably the only listener who picked up on the relationship to Miami Vice! LOL.

Heart of Darkness is also the title of the distinguished author Joseph Conrad's highly respected novel, and was the basis for Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now.  I'm certain the episode's writer was aware of the work.  It's considered a classic in English literature on the topic of the nature of evil.

Heart of Darkness is also the title of the distinguished author Joseph Conrad's highly respected novel, and was the basis for Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now.  I'm certain the episode's writer was aware of the work.  It's considered a classic in English literature on the topic of the nature of evil.

While I haven't read the novel, that episode of Vice did have some similarities to Apocalypse Now (and probably morso the book). Artie like Captain Willard in the film is strung out and sent on what could be a suicide mission to destroy someone for their government who have little regard for whether they come back alive from the assignment or not. Both by the time they reach their destinations have become desensitized to the horrors around them and even committed violent acts themselves.

A Retired Colonel told Bill O'Reilly as many of the ISIS terrorists must be killed as possible and it would put fear in them and give them a "heart of darkness." My ears perked up and I said to my wife, " that's the 2nd episode of Miami Vice!I'm probably the only listener who picked up on the relationship to Miami Vice! LOL.

Nice reference Tony  :D  :)  :done:

• Like 1

Most probably an accidental Miami Vice reference.  :)

Glad you wrote this, so I am not alone. My wife thought I was crazy when I heard it and reacted with Miami Vice. I almost never miss Bill.

SL1DE - I'm pretty sure it was accidental ....

C Glide -  LOL, sounds like the same scene in my house, my wife said I relate everything to Miami Vice.......but it was so relevant to me since I've been watching the early episodes this week.

I get a thrill out of things like this & I'm so glad to hear you reacted the same as I did.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1