Death and The Lady

Matt5

tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Topic: Death and the Lady Posted: 14 September 2008 at 4:45pm Hi all, this is one of the episodes with some locations unidentified. So far we know 1. 1235 Club for Milton Glantz house and the back alley 2. Miami Beach Police at Washington Ave for the confrontation Tubbs, Crockett, Castillo and Glantz and 3. the demolished wall of the Fontainbleau Hilton on Collins What about the party scene with the "Pleasure little Treasure" song by Depeche Mode? It is a tall building with an open flat roof along Venetian Cswy as clearly stated on the wall behind Milton Glantz but where? I checked every highrise along the Causeway but nothing seems to match, except the building next to the Marriott on the Miami Downtown side which looks similar on the roof but has too many air condition fans to match completely. Other locations to find: the house with the statue in the yard (home of Knox); the party in the teaserMATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 14 September 2008 at 5:02pm Ref The Party Scene - That is the one Tom , its the Doubletree Grand Hotel - someone had a question up of it in Location Trivia a while back. If you look closely at the side of the building backing onto Biscayne Bay you can see the large glass windows on the roof looking outwards the Venetian Cswy ( where C&T talked with Milton against the glass ) .The West angle on this link gives a good view of the glass http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=n8ywst89j01b&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=9321411&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1 IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 14 September 2008 at 5:09pm Your hunch is right, it is the building next to the Marriott. This was an old trivia question. Doubletree Grand Hotel 1717 North Bayshore Drive JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged KingOfViceCity Vice Squad Detective Joined: 26 June 2007 Location: Ireland Online Status: Offline Posts: 386 Posted: 14 September 2008 at 10:06pm Here's a picture of the Doubletree. Does anyone know if the roof where the party was is accessible? Is it used as an observation deck or anything like that?: Is there an Emmy category for infomercials? IP Logged KingOfViceCity Vice Squad Detective Joined: 26 June 2007 Location: Ireland Online Status: Offline Posts: 386 Posted: 27 September 2008 at 11:09am The confrontation between Crockett and Glantz was at the Miami Beach Police Building, but the establishing shot for the scene was the Sun Trust Bank on Lincoln Road. Is there an Emmy category for infomercials? IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 29 September 2008 at 4:22am I went by the Doubletree last week, hoping to find a way onto the roof. No luck, gang. I took the elevator to the highest possible floor, then found an open stairway door. I climbed as far up as it went, but the door at the top was padlocked. I knew I shoulda brought the bolt cutters (Where's Michael Westen and Fiona with the Co2 when you need 'em? Hah!). So close, and yet so far...On the way down I asked a woman who got in the elevator if there was access to the roof. She seemed to be an employee of the place, but all she suggested was that I ask management. Another day, then, another day. DanJ IP Logged

• 2 months later...

You are correct.I watched both eps the other night on Hulu and couldn't remember which one it was on. It won't let you see season 5 yet for conclusion to Mirror Image. Bummer!

• 1 year later...

I was looking at the end drive scene which is fantastically done to "The Edge of Town" even though it uses some stock footage of a Season 3 Sonny. But after the start of the Fontainebleau Mural at 44th St on Collins it ventures into unknown territory such as passing a Motel and what looks like a white-lit overground street ( similar to Alton Road but longer ) - then the scene reverts back to familiar ground as the Macarthur Cswy going past Watson Island and heading to Miami Beach on the Macarthur Cswy . What do you guys think ? :D

I was looking at the end drive scene which is fantastically done to "The Edge of Town" even though it uses some stock footage of a Season 3 Sonny. But after the start of the Fontainebleau Mural at 44th St on Collins it ventures into unknown territory such as passing a Motel and what looks like a white-lit overground street ( similar to Alton Road but longer ) - then the scene reverts back to familiar ground as the Macarthur Cswy going past Watson Island and heading to Miami Beach on the Macarthur Cswy . What do you guys think ? :D

Yep, I identified the same stretch like you.

At 42:46 he passes the Sanborn Motel. A Google search led me to the address 106 SW 8TH St, Miami, FL 33130 (via this link). It is now called the "Cary Motel".link to Bird's Eye ViewCrockett was driving eastbound on SW 8th St. The elevated camera shot must have been achieved by putting the camera up on the MetroMover tracks along SW 1st St.

via this link). It is now called the "Cary Motel".link to Bird's Eye ViewCrockett was driving eastbound on SW 8th St. The elevated camera shot must have been achieved by putting the camera up on the MetroMover tracks along SW 1st St.

Thankyou , airtommy , I had identified the MacArthur Cswy shots to Miami Beach but not that one - which again is unusual for a scene like that littered with stock footage from Season 3 to have a new shot from a location they had not shot at before and unusual shot at that from above the metrorail tracks.The light- raised road must have been shot in that area perhaps - it shouldnt be too difficult to find that one ! :D

great work, airtommy! This aerial shot of the Testarossa is a typical 2nd unit shot. I guess after repainting the black Testarossas after filming "Irish eyes" the 2nd unit drove around and filmed a few scenes here and there with the new car and the editors later chose which to use if a script requested a short driving scene without the actors recognizable. Most of these short short transition scenes never made the air but this one did. I will never get why they cut a spiky haired Crockett from early season 3 into this night drive.

• 2 years later...

I have published this episode on my location web site. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/

Really interesting about the Corsair .Then end drive scene is interesting too - using Watson Island / that stretch of the Macarthur Cswy -the elevated lit platform /road is interesting towards the end of that sequence .Still not found:D

Really interesting about the Corsair .Then end drive scene is interesting too - using Watson Island / that stretch of the Macarthur Cswy -the elevated lit platform /road is interesting towards the end of that sequence .Still not found:D

Yes I have seen that same footage elsewhere but I cannot remember where nor find it on my master list of locations. I have seen it somewhere though. There is one shot where the elevated road has a very sharp curve to the left much like the 5th Street flyover. The sign seen in the bg throws me though it has been seen before and I thought I had identified the spot in the past but I cannot find that now. Definitely findable.

I have published this episode on my location web site. http://www.sffl.comcastbiz.net/

Nice job, as always C Glide. :cool:Interesting locations in here, as I always liked that rooftop setting with Kelly Lynch. Or Kelly Lynch anywhere for that matter. ;)Was it the Doubletree back in the 80s, do you know?So the Glanz residence was actually a club setting then? And I need to make a pilgramage to Watson Island and to the old Chaulks location. Someday I want to get the Daytona to Miami and just cruise some locations in it.