Favourite Mann film?

Vincent Hanna

With the upcoming new Michael Mann film "Blackhat". Thought it would be a nice discussion.

I'm gonna go with Thief. I know masterpiece gets thrown around a lot but this is imo. It's perfect, the direction, James Caan and tuesday weld. Tangerine Dream. ahhh

• Administrators

I haven't seen them all, but I'll have to say Band of the Hand, Collateral, Heat, and Miami Vice is a good movie if you don't associate it with Miami Vice.

I plan to watch Manhunter sometime soon too, maybe Friday or Saturday.

I used to like Heat the most but after viewing Manhunter recently again I have to say it's definitely that and I might even go so far as to say it's one of my all-time favorite films of the '80's now. It felt like Mann had truly perfected his craft by that film and gave us a film that outshines the more popular Hannibal Lecter films that followed in terms of cinematography and mood. William L. Peterson is fantastic in the lead role really capturing the elements of an over-obsessed detective without it coming off hammy and the climax which while different from the novel (which was adapted faithfully into the much inferior IMHO Red Dragon) with Graham smashing through a window into the villains' lair with In A Gadda Da Vida blaring is one of the most Michael Mann moments ever outside of Miami Vice.

• 2 months later...

I liked Heat and Thief as well but I really enjoyed "The Insider" which was the true story of the tobacco conspiracy in America.

Awesome movie !

Russell Crowe was very good in it too.

Russell Crowe was amazing in the Insider. And Pacino of course.

I wish Mann would do a similar conspiracy type movie rather than the usual cops vs bad guys he does nowadays. 

As I said in my first post here, MV was a "perfect match" with all the things I liked at that time (and I still do). 80s were definitely "my" time.

That's why my choice couldn't be anything else but Manhunter, a movie full of links to the show (Florida locations, actors used like Dennis Farina, Kim Griest, Michael Talbott; a narration style and visual real close to MV's; some MM trademarks like monochrome sequences and a lot more, actually; not to mention the end credits' song Heartbeat). You know, I can't be really objective about this topic ;-)

By the way, I also loved Heat and The Insider, which both are great movies. Did not see Thief, so I can't tell about it, but I will look for it.

Edited by Jerry B.

Thief is his best for me. Then Manhunter. The Insider is really good but I think it would've been better if it was half an hour shorter.

Damn I still haven't seen that yet. I'll need to ASAP

Yeah, it's a good one.  It was filmed in Folsom Prison and Miguel Pinero aka Calderone had a part in it!

Yeah, it's a good one.  It was filmed in Folsom Prison and Miguel Pinero aka Calderone had a part in it!

It looks cool, But it's so hard to find man. I'll have to watch it in really bad VHS quality lol

It looks cool, But it's so hard to find man. I'll have to watch it in really bad VHS quality lol

To be honest, early 70's tv picture quality probably doesn't merit anything better than VHS!