Season 3 - "Everybody's In Showbiz"

Matt5

Author Message airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Topic: Episode 67 - Everybody's in Showbiz Posted: 21 February 2008 at 6:28am Originally posted by MATT5ref "Everybody's In showbiz" from the end of Season 3. This has some obscure locations - 1. The wooden walkway with the houses in background / marina - I thought could be Palm Island off Macarthur Cswy but did not match up ( seen twice in episode , the other being a ferry that Tubbs is on ) 2. The opening scene - you can see the Lincoln Road Clock / temp on the large building - so Washington Ave ? 3.The meet with Crockett and Mickey @ covered chess / table area - off what looks like a main road. Locations of course include The Clay Hotel/Espanola Way featured throughout and The Alexander on Collins and the waterway opposite. the Magic Shop had 1080 on the door I believe JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 21 February 2008 at 6:32am Opening Teaser In the opening shot, I can see the clock that MATT5 mentions. I don't know anything about the Lincoln Rd clock, but that sounds right. They were probably traveling south on Washington Ave. I do know the next shot (the u-turn) and the whole rest of the scene is on Washington Ave at Expanola Way. The Espanola Way street sign is visible, as is the Cameo Theater (1445 Washington Ave). Waterside Scenes These were all filmed at Indian Creek on Collins Ave around the 5100 block. 1. Don Gallego & his 3 henchman - If you freeze the final few frames, you can see 3 houses across the water. Those are the first 3 houses on PineTree Drive north of the "Heroes of the Revolution" bridge (near 51st St). 2. Tubbs & Gallego - You get a closer view of about a dozen Pine Tree Drive houses. 3. Mikey flags down Gallego's limo - You can see a sign for Seacoast Towers (5151 Collins Ave). 4. C&T find the body - The pink building in the opening shot is the Alexander Hotel (5225 Collins Ave). Mikey is bailed out of jail Miami Beach Police Station @ 12th St & Drexel Ave Mysteries --- Magic shop (door sign looks like 1680 to me) --- Chess park --- Mortuary JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 21 February 2008 at 5:36pm Thanks Airtommy - I wasnt sure whether to open a thread as I still had unanswered questions , but thankyou for your answers , particularly the water scenes/houses Indian Creek .: Ferrari Turn Around Scene to Go Back to Hospital Towards the end of the episode they turn around to go back to the Hospital - they turn by The Colonnade & Greenberg Traurig Building on Brickell and head Northbound off Brickell. ( same as in "Badge of Dishonor " ) Airtommy and I had discussed previously the Miami Times building earlier in that scene on Brickell Ave also. Hospital The Hospital looks like Mercy Hospital The establishing California Skyline shot ( from "Shadow In the Dark " ) is again recycled in this episode. The Alexander is the first time we see the Hotel in the series run. The Chess park is a mystery - but this episode highlights some great Miami Locations . " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 21 February 2008 at 8:03pm I'm going to watch the u-turn again tonight. I was thinking they were going west on a side street and did a u-turn as they hit Brickell. JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 22 February 2008 at 12:17am Originally posted by Papa Legba The clock on Lincoln Road, Southbeach. Airtommy - as chance would have it - this was posted on the Travel section. Ref the Opening teaser shot it would have been at this angle but a lot further back. This shot is taken @ the entrance to Lincoln Road / Washington Avenue side. The Key would be the buildings in the teaser before the Uturn in front of the Cameo Theatre " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 22 February 2008 at 12:37am http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lincoln+road,+miami+,+fl&sll=25.788705,-80.131322&sspn=0.002637,0.004302&layer=c&ie=UTF8&ll=25.793477,-80.131745&spn=0.010549,0.017209&t=h&z=16&cbll=25.78853,-80.13174&cbp=1,312.98266146075366,,0,-1.7039330156853012 a possibility or the Best Western a few doors down - but that building looks too long. That side of Washington Ave seems to have changed big time whereas the other side not quite as much. " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 1:36am The Chess ParkThis was on Miami Beach, across the street from Miami Beach Senior High School, on the south side of the Dade Boulevard canal, about a block or so west of Washington Avenue.There is a bridge at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Dade Boulevard which is visible in the scene - you can even see traffic crossing over it.The awning appears to be gone today but I don't know about the chess tables. At one point in the scene we catch the corner of a building which is some sort of community center; that building is still there today.SoFlaJeremy and I have walked that area in the past, and I remember wondering if that spot had been used in MV - now we know. Live Earth/ Bird's Eye View pretty much confirms this location, but it looks like we're due to take GE3 out there soon! DanJ IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 3:58am This just in: The MortuaryI just checked out the mortuary scene. I could be wrong, but as I look at the scene it looks like the mortuary could very well have been the community center building(s) where the chess park was. DanJ IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 4:36am Okay, gang, here's my case submission for the Chess Park and Mortuary locations:Click On Picture to EnlargeLet me know if y'all agree. DanJ IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 6:22am Looks good! Maybe the chess tables had to be taken away after being ruined by the spray from the two speedboats in Lend Me An Ear? JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 10:07am DanJ: i think you found the mortuary. If you watch the trees that are closest to the building, you can see an arched walkway. That´s exactly the spot where Crockett and Tubbs hide under the guiderail when being shot at and they order Switek to arrest the thug while they run after the other villains. The two scenes I cannot identify on this picture is: where are Crockett and Tubbs waiting in the car and where is the position of Trudy and Gina when they are at stakeout and pop the thugs trying to escape during the shooting? IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 1:58pm Originally posted by airtommyMaybe the chess tables had to be taken away after being ruined by the spray from the two speedboats in Lend Me An Ear? LOL! Could be, pal, could be (See below for more)! Originally posted by tom71DanJ: I think you found the mortuary. If you watch the trees that are closest to the building, you can see an arched walkway. That´s exactly the spot where Crockett and Tubbs hide under the guiderail when being shot at and they order Switek to arrest the thug while they run after the other villains.The two scenes I cannot identify on this picture are: Where are Crockett and Tubbs waiting in the car, and where is the position of Trudy and Gina when they are at stakeout and pop the thugs trying to escape during the shooting?Below is where I believe the vehicles are. From that you should be able to suss out all the action:Click On Picture To EnlargeX = C&T/ TestarossaX = Gallego/ LimoX = Switek/ Bug VanX = Gina & Trudy/ Unidentified VehicleThe squad car that heads off the fleeing thugs pulls up to the right of the Bug Van position indicated above, heading towards Gina & Trudy.Look carefully at the open area in the lower left. It's difficult to make out, but could those be chess tables we see? DanJ IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 23 February 2008 at 5:36pm I am going to have to take a look at this episode today interesting stuff. I remember well the day Danj and I walked thru here while taking recreation pics of bought and paid for chase scene. We kept thinking it looked familiar but could not place it, now he has. Outstanding I can't wait to put this episode on and watch. JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged sonnyfarrell Trainee Joined: 03 April 2007 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:20am This location was also pencilled into "The Edge" which was never filmed in 1989 during the last Season. I know this area well - I walked past there a lot in the 1980s. Didnt Michael Mann also shoot there during the Miami Vice Movie released recently - no it was in North Miami . He didnt want to shoot in Miami Beach at all. Marvellous work in covering these locations - SoflaJeremy, airtommy, dan J , matt 5 and Tom71. COLIN FARRELL AKA SONNY FARRELL IP Logged tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Posted: 24 February 2008 at 9:28am Originally posted by sonnyfarrellThis location was also pencilled into "The Edge" which was never filmed in 1989 during the last Season. Hi sonnyfarrell, how do you know that? An unproduced episode with designated locations would mean that the shooting was blown off just days before shooting when the location scouts already spotted out the targets. Have you got the production sheets+script which were sold on ebay some time ago? IP Logged sonnyfarrell Trainee Joined: 03 April 2007 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 Posted: 24 February 2008 at 1:22pm "The Edge" was going to be filmed but at the last minute they decided to go with "Miracle Man" due to Don's availability . The Edge revolved around Crockett and because he was recording his "Let It Roll" album at that time they had to go to a "substitute" episode with little/or no Don Johnson. A Sound Engineer colleague now working in Puerto Rico on a documentary - has the script and the production sheets slate the above chess park as a proposed location as well as the Little Havana Domino Park. Crocketts Boat was moored at Watson Island . Dick Compton was scheduled to Direct but instead Directed the episode Before "Freefall" finale COLIN FARRELL AKA SONNY FARRELL IP Logged tom71 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: Austria Online Status: Offline Posts: 758 Posted: 24 February 2008 at 5:13pm interesting. It´d be cool to hear more about the plotline of this unproduced episode. DJ only appeared in the teaser of Miracle Man, but was even replaced by Bobby Foxworth in most of the shots. He is only seen in two close-ups. IP Logged sonnyfarrell Trainee Joined: 03 April 2007 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 33 Posted: 24 February 2008 at 7:48pm Yes that's right tom71, The Don was busy recording "Let It Roll" and negotiating Movie projects as well as filming a movie so "The Edge" just became impossible to shoot. The Edge revolved around Crockett and I believe focused on a kidnapping of a politician whom Sonny was friends with . Tubbs did not appear in the script. I also believe another reason they did not go with it - was the kidnapping politician /leader part was too close to the marvellous script Mann had penned for "Freefall". The Edge really saw Sonny on the verve of cracking up ( a.k.a. The Edge ) - If I am right this script had the working title "Sonny's Friend" and apart from a few select Miami Beach locations was set in a small Florida town Northwards . It was penned by Robert Ward and Scott Shepherd along with Matha Kitty and Irving Malstroie . With additional draft credit going to John O Connor , Ted Shapiro and Jack Richardson. Incidentally a few of those writers then joined Mann on "Freefall" hence the similarity in story. COLIN FARRELL AKA SONNY FARRELL IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 6:54am Opening Shot I'm changing my mind and saying that they're going north on Washington. I think the first building the limo passes is on the NE corner of Washington/Lincoln. On which corner of the Washington/Lincoln intersection is the clock? I don't see it on VE. Chess Park It's funny, I didn't notice until now that the canal is visible. You can tell it's raining by the cars in the background. In fact, you can actually hear thunder during the scene! Final Drive To Hospital Before they pass the Miami Today building, they pass a dark building. There is a low curved wall with "...da National Bank" written on it. It's probably Florida National Bank. It says here that "Florida National Bank and Trust" is now Capital Bank, and it was Miami's first downtown skyscraper (opened in 1939). There's also the Capital Bank at 3550 Biscayne, which we've seen before. It says here that First Union bought Florida National and closed the Brickell branch. I think I'm just spinning my wheels here . . . For the u-turn, they are heading east on SE 13th St, they do the u-turn at Brickell, then head west on SE 13th St. JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 3:02pm Airtommy, the Opening Shot looks like they are headed south on Washington Avenue from 14th Street. VE/ Bird's Eye View matches up the white corner building and the yellow 3-story apartment/hotel building. There might have been a building on the northwest corner of Washington and 16th back then, but there is a parking lot there today. If that is correct, said building might have had a clock display.The tall building with the digital clock/weather display that does exist today is at the northwest corner of Washington and Lincoln. I don't quite get how it might be visible in this shot at this angle, but a look from ground level may shed some light on this. I will be going out there soon to suss this out (I also plan to go by Brickell and 13th Street to verify the hospital drive scene.). DanJAuthor Message airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 4:49pm Yes, the buildings at 14th/Wash are a better match. There is a short white wall visible at the end of the shot. I think I see that at the Post Office. JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 5:02pm Originally posted by airtommyYes, the buildings at 14th/Wash are a better match. There is a short white wall visible at the end of the shot. I think I see that at the Post Office. I look forward to checking this one out Tonite. " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 5:24pm Originally posted by MATT5I look forward to checking this one out Tonite.If by that you mean you are going to South Beach this evening, drop me a PM within the next hour - I was thinking of heading out to SoBe tonight after work, maybe can coordinate a meeting? DanJ IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 5:42pm Originally posted by DanJOriginally posted by MATT5I look forward to checking this one out Tonite. If by that you mean you are going to South Beach this evening, drop me a PM within the next hour - I was thinking of heading out to SoBe tonight after work, maybe can coordinate a meeting? Oh Dan I wish I could but Im nowhere near Miami - I meant check out the episode . As soon as I return to Miami - one of first things I'll do is let you know to check out locations once again. " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 25 February 2008 at 5:56pm Bummer - woulda been neat to hit SoBe tonight after work with a fellow Vicer! Looks like I may have to go it alone, then - hah! DanJ IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 27 February 2008 at 8:47pm tonight I am going to watch bought and paid for because I remember seeing the chess park or at least the overhead structure in the bg briefly during the pursuit scene. I recall the structure in the bg from when danj and I were sussing out the pursuit so I want to go back and see if you can see the tables in the bg JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:16am Here's the GE3 survey of scenes from this episode. Enjoy! Click Picture To Enlarge Click Picture To Enlarge Click Picture To Enlarge--- Click Picture To Enlarge Click Picture To Enlarge Click Picture To Enlarge Click Picture To EnlargeClick Picture To Enlarge DanJ IP Logged SOFLAJEREMY Vice Squad Detective Joined: 17 February 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 1923 Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:30am GREAT PICTURES DANJ You will have to take me there next week. JGB " if we don't have it in miami nobodies thought of it yet " IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 01 March 2008 at 2:22am Beautiful! JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:09pm Thanks, Tommy! Jeremy, assuming I've recovered from the cold I have right now, we'll go by there for sure. Plan to be there around noon, so we can get the best sunlight - as you might tell, my pic's above were taken late in the afternoon and the sun was casting shadows on everything. DanJ IP Logged DaytonVicer Trainee Joined: 15 May 2008 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 14 Posted: 16 July 2008 at 9:49pm The magic shop was Biscayne Magic, which was located at Biscayne Blvd. and 125th Street.I am a magic enthusiast and contacted the current President of the Society of American Magicians. She is based in the Miami area and told me the shop was sold and closed a few years ago. IP Logged airtommy Vice Squad Detective Joined: 01 March 2003 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2800 Posted: 16 July 2008 at 10:59pm I Googled "Biscayne Magic" and came up with this. This matches the "1680" that is seen on the door during the scene. Biscayne Magic 1680 NE 123rd St. N Miami FL 33181 (305)891-7224 (source) Here's another reference: (source) "In his later years Brooks spent his afternoons at the Biscayne Magic Shop in Miami Florida where they affectionately called him Uncle Howard."And one more: (source) "... my friend Alan Kratish (formally of Biscayne Magic) opened up a restaurant in Florida called THE SPICE OF LIFE ..." JB: "There are no insignificant MV locations." IP Logged MATT5 Vice Squad Detective Joined: 14 May 2006 Online Status: Online Posts: 1847 Posted: 17 July 2008 at 1:21am Originally posted by airtommyI Googled "Biscayne Magic" and came up with this. This matches the "1680" that is seen on the door during the scene. Biscayne Magic 1680 NE 123rd St. N Miami FL 33181 (305)891-7224 (source) Here's another reference: (source) "In his later years Brooks spent his afternoons at the Biscayne Magic Shop in Miami Florida where they affectionately called him Uncle Howard."And one more: (source) "... my friend Alan Kratish (formally of Biscayne Magic) opened up a restaurant in Florida called THE SPICE OF LIFE ..." Great find - same place or huge co-incidence ? Maybe Google Streetview may add more light but if I recall there was no ext shot of the shop. Here is link to Streetview - could be it . http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1680+NE+123rd+St.,+N+Miami+FL+33181&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=7.08932,16.347656&ie=UTF8&ll=25.895403,-80.164425&spn=0.01054,0.015965&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=25.890649,-80.165048&panoid=gfnSqwjY3Ti1-K6tJ-WNhw " My Mommy and Daddy Know Me " IP Logged DanJ Vice Squad Detective Joined: 16 September 2005 Location: United States Online Status: Offline Posts: 2931 Posted: 19 July 2008 at 12:05pm Good work, detectives! A visit to this spot is forthcoming...

• 3 years later...

Great job as always, CGlide!I have one addition to make: the interior hospital scenes in this ep were shot at the same location as used in In the Line of Fire and Amen...send money (we know this location for sure because it is in the production reports of the latter episode) given the similarity of the interior - the Mount Sinai Hospital. If you look at the windows and the wooden parts and the camera angle , it think they even shot Mikey´s scene in the same hospital room where Joey Hardin lied in the final scene of In the Line of Fire.

• Like 1

Great job as always' date=' CGlide!I have one addition to make: the interior hospital scenes in this ep were shot at the same location as used in In the Line of Fire and Amen...send money (we know this location for sure because it is in the production reports of the latter episode) given the similarity of the interior - the Mount Sinai Hospital. If you look at the windows and the wooden parts and the camera angle , it think they even shot Mikey´s scene in the same hospital room where Joey Hardin lied in the final scene of In the Line of Fire.[/quote']Thanks, great intel. I will update the site shortly.

Thanks' date=' great intel. I will update the site shortly. [/color']

Great - maybe the end scene with Tubbs in the hospital bed was also shot there ?:D

• 1 year later...

A real mixed bag this one - obviously the quality is all over the place - this is the 23rd episode of Season 3 ( as a result of NBCs two extra episode order after the success of Season 2 ratings wise)

The Alexander on Collins/ Limo & Mickey and goons scene.) :D  :fireworks:

Eingefügtes Bild

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
Am 14.6.2016 um 14:28 schrieb Matt5:

Chess Park from episode- Crockett meets Mikey :D:D

833c390b-5abf-4f46-8c7e-ae85dd5e4235_zps

When I was in Miami this April and drove by, the chess park and the „Higher Light“ mortuary where gone obviously due to extension of the conference center premises.

• Sad 1

• 3 years later...

Just wanted to add some rare pics of the two long lost locations in this episode - both razed for the extension of the MB Convention Center a few years ago (the Higher Light mortuary was the recreation center and the chess park part of it).

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-11 um 15.06.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-11 um 15.07.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-18 um 12.41.05.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

The long gone 21th Street recreation center ("Higher Light Mortuary") and Norman Mendelsohn Chess Park from this episode. See comparison 2010 and 2023 below.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-18 um 12.34.39.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-18 um 12.35.06.png

• Like 2