Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

Hi guys,  it has been awhile since I originally started this post so I thought I'd check in again.  I've come across some leads but nothing has been done yet.   Please let me know if you come across a nice 'Vice looking Daytona replica. 

Thank you !

• Administrators

Hi guys,  it has been awhile since I originally started this post so I thought I'd check in again.  I've come across some leads but nothing has been done yet.   Please let me know if you come across a nice 'Vice looking Daytona replica. 

Thank you !

This one was posted on the MVO Facebook page: http://www.schmitt.com/viewimage.asp?ID=5080

405737-3.jpg

It isn't a McBurnie, but if you want a McBurnie specifically, you'll have a hard time finding one.

Thank you !

If you don't mind me asking, what price range are you looking spend? 

If you don't mind me asking, what price range are you looking spend? 

I don't really have a set dollar amount in mind.  I am very aware of the prices that these cars tend to trade for, tough.  And I'd rather buy quality and pay a bit more than buy junk and save a few bucks.  If the absolutely PERFECT car came along money really is not an issue.  But it would have to be perfect.  Does that help?   

By the way, by "perfect" I mean

-new paint or paint that looks new  (very important)

-correct wheels

-correct ride height  (not too much gap between the tires and body frame)

-must have AC

-must have good sound system (satellite radio preferred but not required )

-convertible top with no major leaks/squeaky sounds

-would prefer a car with a trunk if possible

-higher HP (horsepower) the better 

-no accident/rust history

-must have the Daytona looking seats

-Sonny Crockett must have driven in it (just kidding :)

Hmm you should have been here a few months ago, as Youngman was selling his and it was damn near perfect, and had some uniquely done touches to it.

it has been taken in the meantime

But to be fair these cars are 30 years old and finding one in perfect condition would be damn near impossible. So I would put the priority on finding one with a good body and chasis, the chasis namely

along with having the welds looked over for that age reason

as the rest can be fixed, switched and upgraded, and the apperance easily changed

and it is very easy to unlock extra horsepower and the like with a few choice changes to the engine's parts, Exhaust, intake, carb ignition,  along with changing the gear ratio and the shift points.

as the turbomatic's were made for a smooth ride, not a slam shift one (and the 400's were built quite strong and are still in use in modern Humvee's) and I would imagine that could be worked out of it with some right work in the right ares, as they do make shift point kits

and a hurst double shifter, stupidly called his and hers where you can choose to either shift it normally or manually, or an auto shift gauge,

basically look for the car with a good chasis, check the wields over and look for rust, check the body over

if its good either wrap it or put the clear coat protector over it that leno used here

and then work on changing it over to your hearts desire, and the tire thing this should help you get the look you want.

and enjoy to your hearts desire, but unless you get one thats been in good care all of its life, or owned by a community member who did it up your way, your going to have to find a good one and mold it your way.

Edited by Kavinsky

Here is a long vid of the "last" McBurnie incl. testdrive. Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ci8Rzt9Oo

You will find the add also @Ebay

Here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-California-Daytona-Spyder-Convertible-California-Daytona-Spyder-365-4-Conv-6k-/161574830083?forcerrptr=true&hash=item259e9c4003&item=161574830083&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

This guy wants $39.5 for the car, far beyond what I have ever seen these go for. But the pristine black one owned by Youngman and sold to reholmes was a much better car, more similar in appearance to the show cars, and in better condition.

His claim about the car being the last one produced by McBurnie is unsubstantiated, and the number (#79) also flies in the face of information previously discussed in here that MCB produced 30-40 cars max. And as JN said before, MCB's records were destroyed in a fire in the late 80s so he can't substantiate his claim in any case. At least the car does appear to be a MCB with its raised lettering on the hood and build plate.

• Like 1

Hmm you should have been here a few months ago, as Youngman was selling his and it was damn near perfect, and had some uniquely done touches to it.

it has been taken in the meantime

But to be fair these cars are 30 years old and finding one in perfect condition would be damn near impossible. So I would put the priority on finding one with a good body and chasis, the chasis namely

along with having the welds looked over for that age reason

as the rest can be fixed, switched and upgraded, and the apperance easily changed

and it is very easy to unlock extra horsepower and the like with a few choice changes to the engine's parts, Exhaust, intake, carb ignition,  along with changing the gear ratio and the shift points.

as the turbomatic's were made for a smooth ride, not a slam shift one (and the 400's were built quite strong and are still in use in modern Humvee's) and I would imagine that could be worked out of it with some right work in the right ares, as they do make shift point kits

and a hurst double shifter, stupidly called his and hers where you can choose to either shift it normally or manually, or an auto shift gauge,

basically look for the car with a good chasis, check the wields over and look for rust, check the body over

if its good either wrap it or put the clear coat protector over it that leno used here

and then work on changing it over to your hearts desire, and the tire thing this should help you get the look you want.

and enjoy to your hearts desire, but unless you get one thats been in good care all of its life, or owned by a community member who did it up your way, your going to have to find a good one and mold it your way.

Kavinsky-

Thanks for the post!

Sounds like I missed a good car (Youngman's).   Please remember that I am looking for one that is already 'turn-key'.  Unfortunately I just don't have the time to visit mechanics and body shops to put together a car the way I'd like it to be.  Simply to busy with work, clients, kids, wife, life, etc .

Fortunately I have other "fun" cars to play with that are already in great shape and ready to drive right now.  As a result I'd rather just play with them than take on a new project that I have to assemble.  Of course if I found a 'ready to go' Daytona that met my conditions I'd be a buyer today.

I always appreciate your thoughts, though :)

alright well atleast you know what your in for, as the worst thing is to be caught out and then have to deal with a junker/lemon, or a car with a shot ladder frame that you've put your blood sweat and tears into. only for it to colapse under you after going over a speed bump and that has happened by the way.

and that is why you always want to check the wields and the frame over, and that goes double for anything italian

http://www.lambomiura.com/rest04.htm

and that is where my advice about making sure the underbelly is clean of dirt and salt comes in I believe, as that acts as an insulator to create rust comes in from the guide to the V8's section I made here

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/11623-a-guide-to-the-v8-replicas/page-2

also as another note this is what a little proper restomodding to the engine can result in

its no mark 2 or E type but it is fast despite its what I think of as unlikeable blandmobile looks, as it just seems like heresy to say that followed this

800px-Jaguar_Mk2_3.4_-_Flickr_-_Alexandr

but it does show you how a little work on the engine can have some drastic changes on the things performance, just by making it breath a little easier.

also note what he says about the transmision change, and I think that desired effect can be accomplished by a little magnet changing in a turbo 350/400, the tranny that car, and Ferrari's Bentleys and the Corvette all came with in some form or another back in the 70's to the 1980's.

so if its an auto 350, but has everything else you want, with a little work you can make it perform drastically different with a few choice changes.

as what you have to remember about these cars is they came from a time of sliderulers and pencils technology wise, so the QC was very hard to keep consistant when it came to the metal work and materials, just read up on the Skunkworks SR71 Blackbird for instance, and the book they have about it

as no matter how hard and consistant they tried to be, the metalwork was just, well like it had a mind of its own, as sometimes the metal would be perfect on one example, othertimes the thing was a leaky nightmare to keep running despite all efforts to the contrary.

but that is why handfitting and careful workmanship would compensate for it back in the old days.

Edited by Kavinsky

after all, its what made german cars great, that careful workmanship

and that was the first thing chrysler threw out when they got them in the 1990's till 2007/2008 with mercedes, and volkswaggen and toyota both tried the waters to see if that would work a few years ago and all involved got their teeth kicked in in all respects

although VW had the sense to do it as a way to maybe make a cheaper more affordable car with the jetta sedan in 2011 at 15 K, and quickly dropped that poisionious mentality after issues arrose with the quality of it and its stopping performance, the price as of the quality improvement back to what it should of stayed as was 17/18 K starting

and that is also why Jaguar went down the tubes when the labor unions went on strike with BL, as pre 1968 jags, I know of two e types that were actually pretty good, one locally that the local airport mechanic has

he was switching it over to run on unleaded a few years ago.

and one I read about on some car collectors blog, the guy was into aeronautical aircraft and cars, and owned some of the old famous ferrari's when they were just shot old junkers, like a 250 SWB and a few others, and it was to the point where he was so poor he couldnt afford the gas

he was that devoted to having it, as at a point when they were unwanted old cars that had their specs far outperformed by the modern ones, kinda like what we have happening with the cars of the 1990's and early 2000's right now

or even that porsche GT2 leno talks about in the latest video, the 2008 model.

Edited by Kavinsky

I think the red Daytona is not so bad. Much more important is the condition of the birdcage, the chassis (rust) and the body. The rest can be repaired easily.
For European conditions the price is ok. Look at this ads on the German HP www.mobile.de :

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/corvette-c3-daytona-spyder-top-conditions-new-engine-vendenheim-strasbo/203382119.html?lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=daytona&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&categories=Cabrio&noec=1

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/ferrari-daytona-ansbach/202325727.html?lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=daytona&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&categories=Cabrio&noec=1

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/andere-andere-daytona-spider-v12-ram-r-t-der-italo-classiker-wolfenb%C3%BCttel/199516898.html?lang=de&pageNumber=1&__lp=1&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=daytona&makeModelVariant1.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant2.searchInFreetext=false&makeModelVariant3.searchInFreetext=false&negativeFeatures=EXPORT&categories=Cabrio&noec=1

Well, the black MCB is really to expensive. The red RAM can not be compared with a MCB or RowleyCorvette. This is a complete another car. But it is to expensive too.

I know Mvice8489, you're looking for a Daytona close as possible to the MV-Car. But this will be very difficult to find. Take Your Time. And as I said, the condition under the bodywork is most important.

Edited by Pritt

The closest you will find is the one jurassic narc is selling.

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/11882-collection-being-sold

James-

Thanks for posting this.  I've actually been talking to JN the past couple of months about his car.  He is a GREAT guy and has the same passion as I do for both the MV TV show and car.  I could literally talk to him ALL DAY LONG :)   Selling his car was a very difficult decision but he feels it is time to enter the next stage of his life.  I fully respect that.  I have read all of his posts about building/creating his car and I probably would've done at least 90% of what he did if I was going to build a MV Daytona. 

It doesn't look like he listed a asking price so I will not (and would not) mention specific dollar figures.  Unfortunately we are a bit apart on price.  As I mentioned in my original post I just (13 months ago) bought a '72 triple black/ Vette convertible with wire wheels that actually somewhat resembles the MV car.   If I didn't have that car I'd buy his today closer to his asking price. 

My concern is if I do NOT buy this car I will regret it for the rest of my life:)   I am a HUGE Porsche fan/collector and passed (twice) on a car a year or so ago that I've  kicked myself in the ass for every day since.  My problem is that while I DO KNOW the correct price for a collector Porsche.....that I do NOT know what a fair/correct price should be on JN's car.   It is such a niche market.  While we on the Vice forums may love these cars....let's face it....the resale market for them is very very minimal.

Anyway, I hope to talk to JN more soon.    He knows that I am a HUGE 'Vice fan and would be honored to be a steward of his fine automobile. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All-

I've been pretty busy with a new Porsche that I bought a few weeks ago and decided as a result to opt out of the Daytona market for awhile.   But at just $21K maybe I should be looking at this car?  Anybody know anything about it?  Any general thoughts on it?

(BTW, if you are a Porsche fan here is a Rennlist link to my new Viper Green (super rare color!) Porsche)

http://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/861468-2015-carrera-4s-coupe-paint-to-sample-viper-green-7-speed-mt-sport-design-pkg.html

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

I'm still kicking around the idea of buying a MV Daytona replica.  Please PM or E mail me if u see or know of anything.  Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

• Administrators

Hi Mvice8489

For weeks, there are no offers - not what you are looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Other-365-GTB-/361304990015?forcerrptr=true&hash=item541f74a13f&item=361304990015

It's pretty cheap for what it is, a couple thousand on a paint job and she'd be beautiful. 

• Like 1

It's pretty cheap for what it is, a couple thousand on a paint job and she'd be beautiful. 

I don't know much about cars....but it looks good for the price.......I wish I learned to drive a 'stick'!  ;(