Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

I was just going to say the same thing. I think it's Arturo in PA as the car has round headlights and I recognized it.

It at 10,2k right now with two bids so far.

14 hours ago, Pritt said:

Note that the car allegedly sold (from only 4 hidden identity bids) but I would not be at all surprised to see it appear later on again in a new listing (we have seen this many times before from this seller)...alleging either non-payment or no mention of what happened at all. And the listing ended early and below the target price from the UK listing, so why not then let it run to see if it up-bids to the target price? Note the bid jump from $15,000 to $27,000...really?  

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Note that the car allegedly sold (from only 4 hidden identity bids) but I would not be at all surprised to see it appear later on again in a new listing (we have seen this many times before from this seller)...alleging either non-payment or no mention of what happened at all. And the listing ended early and below the target price from the UK listing, so why not then let it run to see if it up-bids to the target price? Note the bid jump from $15,000 to $27,000...really?  

Yeah, I was watching it all morning (between business meetings). Was very interested in this car.  I had planned on phoning the seller this afternoon to discuss the car's details.  After lunch time I refreshed my computer screen and it had been "sold".   Ugh

I don't recall seeing a "buy it now" price on the original EBAY ad.

So the reserve price must have been:

1) $27K

2) leaked

24 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Yeah, I was watching it all morning (between business meetings). Was very interested in this car.  I had planned on phoning the seller this afternoon to discuss the car's details.  After lunch time I refreshed my computer screen and it had been "sold".   Ugh

I don't recall seeing a "buy it now" price on the original EBAY ad.

So the reserve price must have been:

1) $27K

2) leaked

Unless it reappears in a new listing in a few months....

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

But what is the point of 'shillbidding it up to $27K only a few hours of the new listing?  This is typically done on a gradual basis throughout the listing period (typically 7 days) and then ramped up significantly the last couple of days 

I didn't see the starting date of the listing....what if there were no legit bids on the car?  I only saw 4 and IDs were hidden. One could end the listing early (doesn't say much to stimulate interest by bidders) or claim a sale and then subsequent non-payment. The latter creates interest and sets a market price expectation. Few bids and an 80% bid jump just don't make a lot of sense to me.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I agree the big jump in bid didn't make sense.  But the Ebay listing was less than 24 hours old.  Why "shill" so early?  Anyway, I texted the seller and he confirmed it was sold.  I guess it is always possible that the deal falls thru but my gut says it won't in this particular

I own a Daytona and have watched these cars sell or not sell, for the last 10 yrs, on eBay. To make this remark: 

a new listing (we have seen this many times before from this seller)

referring to shell bidding. We're Mvice tried to explain how she'll bidding works and this was definitely not she'll bidding. But, to always have a negative reference to Arturo being the seller is getting really old. I have bought parts from him on numerous occasion and he has been more than just helpful in putting my car back together after hitting the deer.

So, if you haven't ever delt  with him directly and just want to gab about something you definitely don't know how it works (she'll bidding) please stop. I come on here to enjoy and be informed about all matters Miami Vice, exspecially the Daytona issues. 

If you ever do buy a Daytona this is the man to know. He's worked on all the different kits and will go out of his way to assist you. Just because he loves these cars. I've nicknamed him the Daytona Whisperer for a reason. He knows the answer when you need the information. So members be assured if you love a daytona and one day need help. He'll be there with the answers or can point you in the right direction. If you're just going to always assume the worst and say it here on the forum then your just hurting members who own a daytona.

If I listened to the negative crap that was said here and didn't happen across him by accident. I'd be screwed right now trying to put my car together after the accident. So it's not only unfair to The Daytona Whisperer, but it is also truly hurting members who own these treasures. And in my opinion that is unforgivable. 

@Bigsarg So this "Arturo" guy was the seller of this latest eBay Daytona?

Just asking--I have no negative feelings about anyone in the Daytona department. I'm just trying to keep up here. 

Yes he was the seller. Another member here in the forum was really interested in this car and was going to contact him. But I assume a buyer contacted him early this morning. and said he'd pay, what ever it was 27,if he put a buy it now tab on eBay. Bam the cars sold.

Shell bidding is where the seller  tries to make a buyer keep bidding higher against the owner himself. And I've never seen this seller do any of that kind of practices. Now a lot of people do bid and win on these cars. Then go to the bank, even with excellent credit, just to find out they can't get a loan on a car this old. That happens often. I've seen it in person at car shows. Excellent credit won't get you a signature loan for 30k. And so the deal falls thru. That's not bad practice either. That's just sucks for both the seller and buyer. 

But. The bottom line is if I listen to the negative stuff said about Arturo (DW) I would have had to recreate the wheel on a few items that I've done on my car. DW sends me a pic and my custom guys like dam I didn't even think about doing it like that and saved him 1/2 the time. To listen to these guys that have some misguided negativity towards DW is really hurting daytona owners that are here on the forum. They may need a part or have an issue and want contact the guy cause a few members always say negative stuff. So their daytona sits with a need that could easily be met. Or the member could save money. I don't know where he gets his parts. But I've bought at least 6 things for a lower price than I would have paid else where. Again these members are hurting a daytona owner who paid $800 when could have got it for $500. Cause they just keep going on about him being untrustworthy.

I'm not an advocate for DW. I'm just a Daytona owner who has had nothing but positive interaction with DW and will recommend anyone to deal with him. For a second reference contact Bob at Rowley, he'll also vouch for him.

@bigsarg, some bkgrd as apparently you didn't read my previous comments:

1. I also own a Daytona 

2. I've also been following the market for 10 years, and have closely followed the cars listed by many sellers including this one. 

3. And I've previously said that I have dealt with him personally so this is not uninformed opinion.  I've also seen examples of misrepresentations by him and there are examples in these threads. 

4. That you have apparently had a good experience doesn't mean all of us have. So if my comments questioning representations in listings somehow bothers you,  then put yourself in the shoes of those who may not have had the best experiences and want to ensure others don't have bad experiences with a seller. I'm not going to apologize for that and if that is an issue,  so be it. 

5. I know what shill bidding is...do you?  It isn't she'll or shell. It is a seller working with associates to artificially bid up the price to encourage real bidders to engage.   Anyone who looks at these cars should not stick their heads in the sand and  assume that every seller or every transaction is on the up and up.  It is buyer beware, and I for one would want to know if a particular seller has a history of misrepresenting his cars. And Arturo most certainly does. That you haven't experienced it or seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others. There's nothing 'crap' about that ...it's reality. So if you choose to ignore or not believe the examples and history that's been posted in here, that's your call.  But spare me the lectures on  fairness about someone that I've followed for a long time. On that we can agree to disagree. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience with DW. However to always chime in that he's not a reputable seller is not fair to other Daytona owners. So I'm setting the record straight about his selling practices with me and with Bob owner of Rowley who has swapped bought etc parts from him. I have seen post that this must be Autoro's car when in fact most of the times it has been proven it wasn't his ad. But got negative comments anyway. 

I don't know what happened with the two of you in dealing with parts. But it sounds like you definitely try to influence other members to be negative. This hurts them and ultimately their Daytona. So I'm really just looking out for what's best for these cars. I hope you understand I'm not trying to get in a pissing match but the fact that you automatically suspect it's one of his cars (when this time it was his ad) and say something negative right off. Not to mention positive things about the car:

stance was right on. 

Mix of corvette interior and Mcburnie door skins 

and so on

isnt doing justice to the car per say just a way to get a quick jab in of negativity to DW

I've read prob most of the threads so I'm aware of what's out there. And if I was narrow minded about not checking references myself I'd be in a hole different position in dealing with my car. So I guess you can say what you want and I will come back and remind other owners about my experiences. So they can check references and maybe get the help or part they need for their beloved Daytona

you are correct it is not she'll bidding, but you are also wrong it is shill bidding. Autocorrect got me on the she'll one. But that's a hole nother bit of nonsense. And yes I do know what it is,to answer your sarcastic question 

but to clarify to others who may not know what shill bidding is: here is eBay's policy. And so if anyone can tell me how this car's add came even close for this to come up in the conversation I'd be very amazed 

IMG_5562.PNG

Edited by Bigsarg

Oh and the body gaps and hood alignment on this car are the best I've seen in some time. 

The speaker in the dash I wasn't a fan of. But I guess when they reupholstered the dash cap they couldn't reproduce the perforated holes like a stick corvette has for speaker covers, so they chose speaker grills. 

But I thought the mix of the two. Corvette and Mcburnie door skin was a whole new look. I liked it. You don't see many of these cars still sporting corvette interior, so it's nice when one comes along. After all the Vice car had corvette interior with a slight dash cap mod to put the fiats vent grill in and build up the part on top of the instrument pod. I think that's all they did. JN is the forum's exspert on the Vice car. 

But for a price tag of 27 that was a good deal. Hope to see more cars with corvette interiors. I do like the look of American muscle in these cars

@Bigsarg  What cars are you claiming were misidentified as his?  He's had a number of Ebay ID'S over the years that I've followed. Which ones specifically? 

And this isn't about parts sales...this is about cars listed for sale.  How does a reference from someone buying/swapping parts tie in to sales of the cars? Does Rowley have experience buying cars from him? If not then how can he vouch for his car sales? I could ask you the same question.The references in these threads citing past transactions are about the sales of cars, and rarely about parts. My experience in a parts transaction was certainly negative,  yet it was a car listing that I was interested in that first got my attention.   And your statement that I 'try to influence others to be negative' is beyond absurd. How does trying to inform others of past instances of misrepresentation translate to ' influencing others to be negative'? Ridiculous, or maybe you think that your opinion based on parts transactions is the only one that matters? And it doesn't 'hurt other Daytona owners' since I assume they can take inputs, plus and minus,  and make their own decisions as adults. And btw there are other sources for parts. You said  i 'automatically suspect its one of his cars'...what  exactly are you referring to?   What's clear to me is that we're not on the same page about this seller and we likely never will be. And if I have comments on his listings I'll continue to make them. 

Oh and the body gaps and hood alignment on this car are the best I've seen in some time. 

The speaker in the dash I wasn't a fan of. But I guess when they reupholstered the dash cap they couldn't reproduce the perforated holes like a stick corvette has for speaker covers, so they chose speaker grills. 

But I thought the mix of the two. Corvette and Mcburnie door skin was a whole new look. I liked it. You don't see many of these cars still sporting corvette interior, so it's nice when one comes along. After all the Vice car had corvette interior with a slight dash cap mod to put the fiats vent grill in and build up the part on top of the instrument pod. I think that's all they did. JN is the forum's exspert on the Vice car. 

But for a price tag of 27 that was a good deal. Hope to see more cars with corvette interiors. I do like the look of American muscle in these cars

I can't remember a member of this forum ever buying a daytona.  But it wasn't too long ago a thread was saying negative things about the seller. A fresh member stepped in and said the seller was Tom or something like that from so and so and it wasn't DW ad all. I only know DW by one eBay name. But it seems it's always him and he's being sneaky and changed his name. I've asked him about that and he said he doesn't come on the forum at all because certain members bad mouth him. And he wasn't having any of it. I don't blame him. But to lose such an asset of knowledge is a shame. 

I had the prevledge of meeting him in 2007 and looked at his car. It was the best car I've seen to this day. Perfect clone. Prob in a Musium now. But he knew his cars and I didn't understand half he was saying. I do now cause I own one. I've seen 7 Daytonas in person (not his cars) and can say the majority of them were crap. So buyers need to beware. But telling them this seller is bad is not the way to educate ppl on these cars. 

Dont know if he's ever sold a car to  Rowley. I know he sold one to Volo a while back.

these cars are his passion. He's not trying to make big money off these cars. He does it because he lived in Miami during the time the show was running. So he saw the Daytona racing around. It made an impression and he loves these cars. He's owned close to 50 now. So he Has a vast of knowledge. 50 Daytonas. That's gg I call him the Daytona Whisperer (DW). If u have questions he's very friendly and will help u out. And trust me. When u hang up u would have learned something in that conversation. Now u can contact me too, I'm also knowledgeable. Chances are I'll tell u that u need to talk to DW. Even Bob told me that once. Or can contact other owners here and they will help you to a certain point and leave u hanging. Cause of some fued. Again this behavior only hurts members and their daytona. So u can hold a grudge forever. But if you leave a member hanging in the wind cause u want swallow ur pride and refer them to DW. Then the word will get out and then what another fuid?

so I just say simply reboot and let's all keep these treasures running how ever we can 

@Bigsarg   There was a car bought and sold through here some time ago to a local member named Youngman as I recall and he sold it to another member in here. It was likely the finest most pristine example of a Daytona that I had ever seen because the car sat in storage for many years. It was owned by the original owner. I see a lot of cars selling overseas as there seems to be a market for Daytonas there, perhaps moreso than here, as the show was incredibly popular in Europe I do know. So yes some of these international listings are not apparent as to Seller ID  because they were not always seen through Ebay with its recognizable seller location and IDs. And speaking of Ebay IDs, DW as you call him did have multiple Ebay IDs over the years as he would accumulate negative feedback and then close one ID and open another. His cars were delisted from Ebay for listing violations on a number of occasions. This is already discussed in threads in here. So that was something you apparently were not aware of. As to him coming into this forum he did the same thing using several IDs and at one stage he decided to become confrontational and so his account was closed.  This is also  in the past threads. And btw, he is still in this forum and comes in here frequently under another member ID...  I guess you didn't know that either.  Multiple IDs/email addresses are a hallmark.

So that you had good experience is somewhat encouraging to me as perhaps he has, as someone else commented some time ago, 'learned his lesson' about past transactions. Could it be true? You seem to think he is on the up and up and so that's a plus. But some of us have a long history, a not very positive experience with him, and have seen misrepresentations over many cars. Should we just say oh well that's history and assume all is fine in every new listing?  Sorry I don't think that way and believe with these cars it should always be BUYER BEWARE. And that goes for anyone selling one.....do an inspection, check the seller's history, and do your homework, If not then you take a risk, and that goes for any seller. That is not the same as 'carrying a grudge'. That's just using good common sense and buyers may/should want to know a seller's history....his is in here for any to read about. And you can add to that history, as you are doing, by adding your personal experiences and this will impact buyer's decisions in a different direction. That's fine from my point of view, just as Ebay feedback does.  But to deny that his past listings/transactions contained misrepresentations, or accuse others of 'making things up' as you apparently hadn't even seen those listings just doesn't work for me and is offensive.  

I'm well aware of his numerous cars owned and sold over the years. More than anyone that I recall selling these cars, so I'm glad he's been a resource for you. Doesn't mean I necessarily want him as a resource but it does give me pause to think there is some cause for keeping an open mind, but always with a healthy degree of skepticism. Agreed on your last point...there aren't many of these cars still around and so they are truly treasures, and they are aging and needing care. Fortunately most care I have needed can be sourced from GM, other than the occasional add-on part I have been buying like Momo steering wheel, chrome tag light, mirrors, some replacement Ferrari lenses and such. I do always keep an eye out for deals on replacement Ferrari parts, as those are the most rare and most expensive.   So we can reboot as you say,  but I don't intend to lose my skepticism when looking at any of these listings. You said some members in here leave you hanging? What are you looking for/needing that perhaps some of us can help with?

Wow, looks like I missed some excitement :)

Anyway, great points by both BigSarg  and Sonny.     BigSarg has dealt with 'DW' more than anyone lately so I would very much listen to what he has to say.  And Sonny has had historical dealings with 'PW' so let's all just proceed  "carefully"  with 'DW'....but let's STILL proceed. 

Sounds to me as if DW should be given the benefit of the doubt.   Let him prove himself to the community.    Having him eventually back here could be a win/win for both him and us.

Sad to see the junp so high and so fast for the bidding.

I wanted to look at a red one in TN and emailed the guy direct stating I would be there on business in two weeks and would like to see the car.

He didn't even have the decency to return my email request. I guess he really doesn't want to sell it?

FRUSTRATING...................................................................and I hate ebay and amazon

Hey guys,  I recently was offered a Daytona replica (private party sale) that had a "Salvage" title on it.  As a result I took a pass on it.  In the classic car world that I am most involved in (Porsches, Jaguars) a salvage title is the kiss of death and knocks 35-40% (at a minimum) off the selling price to a comparable "non-salvage" titled car. 

My concern was that I would have to substantially lower the selling price when it came time for me to eventually sell it.

This particular car had "other features" (that I'd prefer not to disclose at this time to protect the anonymity of the seller) that he seller feels values the car higher than other replicas.  As a result I would not be able to buy the car at that 34-40% discount.

I've been told that replicas such as the Cobra and Daytona often have "salvage" titles due to the fact that these cars may have been built off of old cars that were salvaged for some particular reason.

My question is.....How common do these Daytona's have "salvage" titles?  How you actually seen many titles to confirm your answer.  And, would you ever buy one with a salvage title?

And, to once again reiterate, the seller will NOT sell this particular car at the large discount so it is not even worth discussing offering him a low offer.

If he would....I would :)

Thanks!!!