Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, Mvice8489 said:

My question is.....How common do these Daytona's have "salvage" titles?  How you actually seen many titles to confirm your answer.  And, would you ever buy one with a salvage title?

Thanks!!!

Excellent question and let me elaborate.

I spent the best part of my life in auto body repair and used to buy "salvage" cars all the time and fix them for re-sale. Here in Ontario you could go to an auction weekly if you had a dealers license, and pick up cars that were in accidents and buy them. All the big auto wrecker businesses' were there to buy. They would then in turn re-sell the cars to body shops or individuals with the parts needed to fix them as these vehicles were over a certain percentage of repair cost for the insurance companies. Back in the day it was between 30-40% of black book value. In other words if a 20 thousand dollar car was smashed ina collision the insurance company would gladly fix it for the customer if the bill was say about 4 grand or so. If the repair cost was more than say 10 grand for example, then that would be the 50% mark and the insurance company would put it up for salvage options.

These cars were now sold as "SALVAGE" and needed to be government inspected before they could be licenced back on the road.

In the late 90's our friends to the east of us (The French mafia of Quebec) were stealing good cars and using salvage tags and of course ruined it for everyone who did this legit! The government stopped this practice and now if a car is "RED TAGGED" it can NEVER go back on the road. This has killed the body shop industry in Ontario over the last decade...thus my retirement.

I don't know about the SALVAGE rules in the states as they might be different in each state. I know that a "SALVAGE" tag is usually a slanderous or bad tag to have but let me assure you that when I was in the industry the cars were better than factory when they returned to the road (at least the ones I rebuilt) When sectioning a car (cutting it in half and re-welding it) I used to always "Dovetail" my welds and this is far superior to any factory robot spot weld.

You will have to see what rules are present in your state and see the definition of "Salvage" as it has a few connotations as I have previously explained. Salvage may mean "JUNK" in one state and "Rebuilder" in another. Needless to say the good od days are gone. Most cars are unibody construction and the frame machines of today can rip them apart like cardboard.

Sorry ....... got carried away and forgot to say that I don't believe ANY of the Daytona's are "SALVAGE"

The term salvage would mean there was prior damage to the vehicle in a manner not making it roadworthy. this means it needs to be repaired by a licensed technician and safety checked prior to licensing the vehicle for the road again.

I would steer away from that word "SALVAGE" and rather use the term "DONER VEHICLE" as this term denotes the fact that the Ferrari is actually a Corvette, which would mean a change of cosmetics, and not mechanical function.

I understand Canadian law regarding this as my shop was actually licensed to do this safety check as I operated a Chief EZ-Liner frame machine and did severely damaged vehicles that I brought back to life again.

Check your state law in regards to the term Salvage as opposed to Doner. I think you can tag an accident free vehicle with Doner without giving it the stigma of a "SALVAGE" vehicle as this definitely means it has been hit in an accident and repaired at one time or another in it's life. One thing to remember is that a Vette is a "FULL FRAME" vehicle and if it ever was crashed at one time or another, it would have been very difficult to get it straight again. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are a lot of "Hacks" out there that try to repair cars with chains, comealongs and sledge hammers! Frame machines today are very sophisticated and modern frame alignment is now measured in mm rather than quarter inch relations. Many machines have laser technology and it can pull the frame right back to specs with precise accuracy. Back in the 70's, if it was a quarter inch within specs, it was good enough to hang panels. Not today!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm thoroughly pissed off!

If you remember I posted about some moron trying to play me with the old "send the money and 2 grand extra for shipping and I'll refund the excess"

I got suspicious when I saw the car in NJ and then the same car in another state.

Last month I found a car for a reasonable price that I could paint black and do my own things to......called the guy to ask for an appointment, he didn't even bother responding! WTF? Car is still for sale and when I went through the state last week on my way home, I was just fuming, as I knew the car was near.

What the hell is the matter with these people? One is just a scammer and the other is just a douche?

Hey Mvice8489...what ever transpired with that "Salvage" deal? That wasn't a blue car smashed in the front was it?

Edited by Stinger390X

Yep. The old Flattwelve guy from Texas (Car Chasers tv show). At this rate, the car will be $100K by December. :) 

YUP!!! I also have that one listed out of Dallas from two years ago! 

I guess everyone is watching (G)ass monkey garage and they all want to be millionairs by the time their 30!

It looks like a pretty good car, but if it is one of the 92 turn-key cars that McBurnie built, it should have a McBurnie tag and number - which is not mentioned in either posting.  It could then be one of the 300 kits that McBurnie sold.  I would rather have bought it for the low 20's which is probably where Flat Twelve sold it....

• Like 1

CD, welcome back.  Have not heard from you in awhile.   Did McBurnie really sell 300 kits?

BTW, it seems like using he word 'McBurnie' on these cars is kind of like calling tissue paper Kleenex'. 

Do ALL 92 turn-key cars have a tag and number on them??   

And, most importantly, are you ready to sell me your car yet ???????????   :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That add is ancient???

I saw that almost three or more years ago and believe that car sold long ago? I remember the garage door background shots

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, Mvice8489 said:

CD, welcome back.  Have not heard from you in awhile.   Did McBurnie really sell 300 kits?

BTW, it seems like using he word 'McBurnie' on these cars is kind of like calling tissue paper Kleenex'. 

Do ALL 92 turn-key cars have a tag and number on them??   

And, most importantly, are you ready to sell me your car yet ???????????   :)

The numbers came from Tom McBurnie's current web site - https://www.thunderranch.com/ some time ago.  I assume that all of this turn-key cars have the serial number and VIN as well as date completed like the picture that I uploaded.  (I'm not sure if the picture will show up here or wherever uploaded images go???)

Not ready to sell but I'll keep you in mind....

31.jpg

48 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

That add is ancient???

I saw that almost three or more years ago and believe that car sold long ago? I remember the garage door background shots

Note that anyone who wants to sell a Daytona - even a real one - mentions Miami Vice.  To quote from this ad - "Dawning the same color, year, and style as Crockett’s Daytona in Miami Vice, this car is instantly recognizable and would be a showpiece of any collection.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, CameraDaytona said:

It looks like a pretty good car, but if it is one of the 92 turn-key cars that McBurnie built, it should have a McBurnie tag and number - which is not mentioned in either posting.  It could then be one of the 300 kits that McBurnie sold.  I would rather have bought it for the low 20's which is probably where Flat Twelve sold it....

I didn't realize he made that many turn-keys or kits....I thought the numbers were much lower?

Mine is not tagged so must have been one of his kits, though the production invoices for my car indicate it was built by him based on a customer-provided donor car.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

On 4/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I didn't realize he made that many turn-keys or kits....I thought the numbers were much lower?

Mine is not tagged so must have been one of his kits, though the production invoices for my car indicate it was built by him based on a customer-provided donor car.

Camera Daytona met McBurnie and Carl Roberts, so I would believe what he tells me based on what they told him.  Which begs the other question, just because either one of them told him something may not be 100% accurate.  I know that McBurnie's records were burned in a big fire, and his recollections have varied.  And I believe that the early cars were probably not branded like the later cars.  I have tried to figure out a way to get a better estimate of the actual number of cars out there, but so many were registered as Corvettes (with no reference in the official records of the rebody) that I don't think anyone will ever know a number that is truly accurate.

And honestly, I doubt if McBurnie or Roberts thought as they were doing these cars that they were any more than revenue streams-certainly not of any historical interest over 30 years later.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:13 PM, jurassic narc said:

Camera Daytona met McBurnie and Carl Roberts, so I would believe what he tells me based on what they told him.  Which begs the other question, just because either one of them told him something may not be 100% accurate.  I know that McBurnie's records were burned in a big fire, and his recollections have varied.  And I believe that the early cars were probably not branded like the later cars.  I have tried to figure out a way to get a better estimate of the actual number of cars out there, but so many were registered as Corvettes (with no reference in the official records of the rebody) that I don't think anyone will ever know a number that is truly accurate.

And honestly, I doubt if McBurnie or Roberts thought as they were doing these cars that they were any more than revenue streams-certainly not of any historical interest over 30 years later.

See the post below.  This is where the numbers came from for McBurnie's production of turn-key cars and kits.  (I don't remember from what thread I got this.)  The kit number of just over 300 was probably an estimate and could be over-stated.  The number of completed cars of 92 sounds pretty exact however.

I have no idea when McBurnie started adding the tags with the VIN, build date, etc to the turn-key cars.  However, to enable them to be registered in any state, I would think that a VIN tag on the car would be necessary, the VIN probably being the VIN of the donor Corvette.  The VIN could be on the original Corvette Windshield frame or on a tag such as the one above.  It's interesting to note that the tag shown above shows the car to be registered as a 1997 SPCN McBurnie Spyder (I don't know what SPCN means) with a 1981 Chevrolet 5.7 liter engine.  The VIN is from the donor car - the 25,954th 1981 Corvette built in St. Louis, MO.  (In 1981, 31,611 Corvettes were built in St. Louis before the production was transferred to the new facility in Bowling Green, KY - the last 8995 Corvettes for 1981 were built in Bowling Green.)

Sonny-Burnett - does your car have a VIN on the windshield post and is it the VIN of the donor Corvette?  My car has the VIN of the donor car on the windshield frame - and no other tag.  Of course, it was a Mardikian Daytona - not a McBurnie Daytona.

In the mid-90s, I visited the site where McBurnie built the turn-key cars and kits.  It was, of course, being used by another company, but was a major facility.  McBurnie was building the cars and kits for awhile before Ferrari put him out of business.  So, I can believe the numbers, but I have no real evidence other than what is shown below. 

Number of cars built by McBurnie.JPG

On 4/21/2017 at 10:49 PM, CameraDaytona said:

See the post below.  This is where the numbers came from for McBurnie's production of turn-key cars and kits.  (I don't remember from what thread I got this.)  The kit number of just over 300 was probably an estimate and could be over-stated.  The number of completed cars of 92 sounds pretty exact however.

I have no idea when McBurnie started adding the tags with the VIN, build date, etc to the turn-key cars.  However, to enable them to be registered in any state, I would think that a VIN tag on the car would be necessary, the VIN probably being the VIN of the donor Corvette.  The VIN could be on the original Corvette Windshield frame or on a tag such as the one above.  It's interesting to note that the tag shown above shows the car to be registered as a 1997 SPCN McBurnie Spyder (I don't know what SPCN means) with a 1981 Chevrolet 5.7 liter engine.  The VIN is from the donor car - the 25,954th 1981 Corvette built in St. Louis, MO.  (In 1981, 31,611 Corvettes were built in St. Louis before the production was transferred to the new facility in Bowling Green, KY - the last 8995 Corvettes for 1981 were built in Bowling Green.)

Sonny-Burnett - does your car have a VIN on the windshield post and is it the VIN of the donor Corvette?  My car has the VIN of the donor car on the windshield frame - and no other tag.  Of course, it was a Mardikian Daytona - not a McBurnie Daytona.

In the mid-90s, I visited the site where McBurnie built the turn-key cars and kits.  It was, of course, being used by another company, but was a major facility.  McBurnie was building the cars and kits for awhile before Ferrari put him out of business.  So, I can believe the numbers, but I have no real evidence other than what is shown below. 

Number of cars built by McBurnie.JPG

Cars actually built in California had a unique identifier added by law at some point.  It may be SPecial Car Number (?).  I guess your car was built before the requirement.  My Roberts built car didn't have any kind of issued number and the title was for a Corvette.  I actually got stopped by a local PD because when he ran my tag it came back to a Corvette, but the car was "obviously a Ferrari."  Seems like at some point NCIC issued a name for McBurnie built cars to simplify  entry after the cars were stolen.

• 2 weeks later...