Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure.........but that might be the wrecked car I saw five months ago with the crappy wheels?

The car has new wheels no but strangely it is the exact colour of the wrecked one I saw recently. Those high-back seats also look familiar???

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:46 PM, Stinger390X said:

I'm not sure.........but that might be the wrecked car I saw five months ago with the crappy wheels?

The car has new wheels no but strangely it is the exact colour of the wrecked one I saw recently. Those high-back seats also look familiar???

My mistake fellows...Just found it weird that car was exact same colour and same weird tall seats. The wreck was in California and I see this is a U.K. vehicle.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I look at so many of these things my head spins sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally found a car that my meager finances could possibly cobble together.

Its Black, wire wheel, correct interior colour, proper instrumentation, a big block 454, sadly an automatic but that can be changed to standard, and of course only 13k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Car is in good shape but needs work which I am more than willing to invest in. It was first in Reno NV so I tried to find the owner and the linked webpage is expired???

Two weeks go by and the exact same vehicle shows up in Ormen UT. go to link page...website expired!!!

WTF? Can't get in touch with this dude?

Am 6.6.2017 um 18:02 schrieb Stinger390X:

Well I finally found a car that my meager finances could possibly cobble together.

Its Black, wire wheel, correct interior colour, proper instrumentation, a big block 454, sadly an automatic but that can be changed to standard, and of course only 13k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Car is in good shape but needs work which I am more than willing to invest in. It was first in Reno NV so I tried to find the owner and the linked webpage is expired???

Two weeks go by and the exact same vehicle shows up in Ormen UT. go to link page...website expired!!!

WTF? Can't get in touch with this dude?

Sorry Stinger, a Daytona Spyder with a 454 for 13k. This will be a fake or the car is completely at the end. 

Am 6.6.2017 um 21:37 schrieb king77:

http://www.ronsusser.com/?s=mcBurnie

Don't know if this has been posted before. Doing some homework on the top red one, any info would help

What you think guys. This red Daytona is not a McBurnie car??? The front fender flares don't match.

Edited by Pritt
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Pritt said:

Sorry Stinger, a Daytona Spyder with a 454 for 13k. This will be a fake or the car is completely at the end. 

YEH Pritt I kind of figured that?  Funny thing was one week it was for sale in one state then for sale the next week in another. This is the second car I have chased like that. I wish the websites weren't expired as the adds were only days old?

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Mvice8489:

is that an old video?  I thought hat car had sold recently

Yes, the vid is an old one. But it's the same car like this one in the link of king77. It's a really nice Daytona.

This car looks exact like mine. Interior with the gauges, body, doorhandels, the two little plexis, wheels, mirrors, all is similar. 

Edited by Pritt

22 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

King77, any luck getting in touch with the owner?

Just started to put my "experiences" down on paper. Will post before weeks end. 

Short version the ex's law firm asked me to help them find a replica for a wealthy celeb client. 7 months later, still no car only crazy stories.

• Like 1

Cant wait to hear about your experiences.  If it makes you feel any better I have been looking for a MV replica for almost 4 years.  And I, too, have come up with MANY weird stuff while searching for one!!

BTW, why would a wealthy celeb buy a replica?  Why not just buy a real Daytona ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Cant wait to hear about your experiences.  If it makes you feel any better I have been looking for a MV replica for almost 4 years.  And I, too, have come up with MANY weird stuff while searching for one!!

BTW, why would a wealthy celeb buy a replica?  Why not just buy a real Daytona ?

The original "Reason" was he wants to drive it allot up and down the coast here in So-Cal and not worry about damage and maintenance. 6 months later he wanted to get one for free and 1.5-mil for a car was probably out of range for the partners in the ex's firm.

On 12/06/2017 at 5:53 PM, king77 said:

Just started to put my "experiences" down on paper. Will post before weeks end. 

Short version the ex's law firm asked me to help them find a replica for a wealthy celeb client. 7 months later, still no car only crazy stories.

I'm really looking forward to hearing all the stories. I've seen several Daytonas and even in car shows they just weren't done very well. I know that the kit was promoted as a DIY kit. I helped build one in the 80's. It wasn't hard but you had to have someone who knew how to do body work. 

The car I have now,I had to tear down to about were I left off helping on the other car (from the 80's) when I refreshed her and changed from red to black. I guess u can say, I've built a daytona from the ground up with 2 cars and 20 yrs between them. 

The custom shop I'm having build my car said he won't put a front clip on a C3. Said it's just to difficult to get perfect. I remember the car we built was all one piece. It was fairly easy to mount the body. The door skins were another story. It must have taken a dozen attempts to get them perfect before we used seam sealer and glassed them down. It was a bitch. The hood was pretty easy. That's why I'm always amazed when I see these cars with the hood all out of alignment. It's just to easy to keep adjusting till it's right. 

Well, looking forward to reading your stories. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:52 AM, Pritt said:

What you think guys. This red Daytona is not a McBurnie car??? The front fender flares don't match.

Are you referring to the ron susser car located in York PA or the car in your video?  Btw, I'm not clear on what Ron Susser does as his site seems to indicate he reps cars and many other auction categories with a link to Ebay.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

Are you referring to the ron susser car located in York PA or the car in your video?  Btw, I'm not clear on what Ron Susser does as his site seems to indicate he reps cars and many other auction categories with a link to Ebay.

The Ron Susser an the car in the Video are the same ones. I can't belive, that this is a McBurnie.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:00 PM, Pritt said:

The Ron Susser an the car in the Video are the same ones. I can't belive, that this is a McBurnie.

Hm ok well I just watched the full video and tried to pick out some details. I noticed the customary McB details such as the grill was replaced by a Rowley, the Alfa door handles were missing, as were the rear side markers. As to the fender flares, you do realize (at least on mine) that the width of the front fender flares is narrower than the rear? I noticed that when I was comparing fit for different tire sizes. The Ron Susser posting seems to be the same car, and does have a letter from McB supporting his claim, assuming it's legitimate. Not sure why McB would do that if it wasn't one of his cars. Confused about the RS listing as well, as it appears to be Sold yet shows as available?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I have heard that name "Ron Susser" as I get emails from time to time regarding classic cars. I think he runs some website or something?

The emails are usually in my "junk" folder automatically but I see details on all kinds of classic cars, not just Daytonas.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Bigsarg said:

The door skins were another story. It must have taken a dozen attempts to get them perfect before we used seam sealer and glassed them down. It was a bitch. The hood was pretty easy. That's why I'm always amazed when I see these cars with the hood all out of alignment. It's just to easy to keep adjusting till it's right. 

I know what you mean. In the old days when I worked at a vette specialty shop, I used to glass together all kinds of things, doors , front clips, rear sections etc. We used the old GM bonding strips and fiberglass in those days. In the seventies glass filler became current and replaced some of the harder glass mat layup technigues.

Today there are wonderful products from many vendors like "3M" and "Lord" that come in a two part mixing calking gun style. There is "Pack 15" and Pack 30" meaning you have either 15 minutes to do the adhesion or thirty minutes if you need to make minor adjustments.  The nice thing about these adhesives is they are stronger than any weld !!!! You not only can bond fiberglass but metal as well.

It was invented back in the 80's when SMC became popular in vehicles such as the GM Lumina vans and other vehicles that were made of "Sheet Moulded Compound" SMC is like fiberglass only "GOOD ON BOTH SIDES" where fiberglass is "GOOD ONE SIDE" SMC is also manufactured a bit differnt than fibreglass as the material is moulded under "HEAT and PRESSURE" instead of just catalytic chemical drying of resin. Many tailgates on SUV's are SMC to cut down on weight.  Any of these space-age products have made bodywork so much easier that in the old days when I struggled restoring old 50's and 60's Vettes. SMC became prevalent in 1984 as that year Vette was the first to have it on the C4.

I don't miss the old days...............