Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

11 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Wow that is one badass ugly vehicle!!!!    :(

Look at that aweful set of rear bumpers. The headlights are wrong too and I would stay away from anything vacuum operated as they are just a problem waiting to happen. I wonder if this is a "Rowley" car or a "Markarian" mold with those funky headlights????

The wheels are nothing to write home about however the paint looks OK and I like the dash and the only draw I have to it is that it is a four speed.

I would never pay 40k for a car this off!

The car I am dealing with presently is an automatic but I am already sourcing a 6 speed and bell housing from some of the local wreckers to change it over if the deal goes through.

Stinger, Sony B, what is wrong with the rear bumpers? I see nothing different than the set I have on my car. I think the angle of the picture might make them look bigger or something. But if you look at the gap between body and fender, then they are correct. 

Edited by Bigsarg

11 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Dadrian...I knew I had seen that ugly car before so I checked my puter file that I have been keeping for over a decade now and low and behold I had recorded that car for sale in Brooklyn over three years ago and I even had the same phone number the guy listed in my file!  His handle was "noboat2013" when I fist recorded the find , so it has not changed over the years and is definitely the same guy.

So I guess that car has been for sale for quite some time? His last asking price three years ago when I first listed it was 22k and now he is asking 40k!?!?!

Just wanted to give you a heads up on what I discovered.

Stinger, can we see the listing from three yrs ago, that your are referencing? I don’t recall this car ever being seen before. I like to stay up on the cars that are out there, Thxs 

10 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

Stinger, Sony B, what is wrong with the rear bumpers? I see nothing different than the set I have on my car. I think the angle of the picture might make them look bigger or something. But if you look at the gap between body and fender, then they are correct. 

Maybe that's what I'm noticing ...the angle or perhaps even the size of the bumpers. They seem to protrude more than other cars I've seen, but may just be an illusion. 

9 hours ago, Pritt said:

This car will be a late McBurnie. I think, McB was the only one who produced this "one eyed" headlights. Tom McBurnie designed and built the Daytona for Albert Mardikian (Trend Imports), So, a Mardikian and a McB are both the same cars. The Rowley GTC would have other front fender flares and the rear ones are narrower. I would say, all in all its a nice made McBurnie, if you like the Ferrari look a like interior. Exept the headlights, they are aweful.

Stinger, whats wrong with the rear bumpers in your mind?

Pritt, you are correct that McBurine is the only builder with the single headlight pockets. I’d like to see the car with the headlight doors shut. It probably looks all blacked out. I haven’t seen a black one done with one door before. I’ve seen a red and a blue done. They didn’t look good with the headlight doors shut. But a black one will probably look like mine did (before the restoration) the black doors blended in and it looked like a blacked out front end.  

The last cars Mcburnie built had these single headlights from what I can tell. Someone can easily convert them to a double headlight with plexy. Which I’m sure has happened to almost all of these one eyed bandits. 

This car being an original factory built McBurine and restored 5 yrs ago. With the single headlight  still intact. If it looks normal with the doors shut, I would leave it as is. It dates the build. IMO. This seems to be the issue with these cars: previous owners keep paperwork for suivoners, and McBurine did not keep records of how many cars and they are not numbered. So knowing the pedigree of the car is going to be difficult in many cases. But, that single headlight will definitely date the build. 

For a 40 year old car to go tru a frame on restoration (I’m sure the seller has receipts) is an awesome find. This isn’t going to happen again, or this is about to start happening a lot more frequently. I’m not sure which way to think.

Being at car shows I get to talk to the car’s fans and I’ve seen grown men’s eyes water when they are talking about watching Miami Vice, it brings back their youth and man is it moving.

I’ve also seen, many times, guys see the car and approach it slowly with a bit of skepticism. I can almost read their minds as they walk towards the car cautiously “is it? Is that a? Yes it’s the Miami Vice car!” Then it’s a full on sprent walk to the car. These guys are usually too bashful to start a conversation with me, so, I ask “remember Miami Vice?” Then the gates are open and you hear it all  it’s freaking crazy fun

The first of the Baby boomers are starting to die out and the middle and late baby boomers may grab up these cars and put 60k into them  during a restoration. Or, just drive it as is, and play in the air tonight, a lot. Lol

its nice to see such a specimen be brought back  to its glory

I seem to agree with Sonny Burnett that they look aweful. It might be the picture or the angle of the pic......but they look enormous for some reason? They are not close fit like other I have seen.  Maybe it was a bad mount job...who knows but the picture does it no justice.

Thanks Pritt and Bigsarge, Sonny Burnett and everyone else for the great info here.

As for the advert from three years ago I do not have the web adr, and anyway it would be doormen after all this time. I usually do a cut and paste of that, but in this instance I did not, I did write down the asking price and phone number in my records so that is why I know I saw this ad before. Quite a difference from 22k to 40k!

Dadrian,

I am a (relatively) rich sap and I wouldn't touch that car for anything near the price he is asking.......LOL   :)

But, hey, it is a free market.  A seller can "ask" whatever he wants I guess.  Unfortunately they are usually just wasting their time by posting such ridiculous prices

Yes it is. I believe he is asking 28k for the car but last I checked the highest bid was 17 (reserve not met)

He offered the car to me last year via telephone call. It is nice but a bit too dear for my pockets.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Attractive car on the market here in Europe right now, reasonably priced...

https://www.autoscout24.de/angebote/others-others-andere-mcburnie-daytona-spyder-orig-borranis-benzin-schwarz-ab66865f-4a3c-441b-b231-4c272c492226?cldtidx=9

I'm not in the market for buying one, but maybe you guys will find it interesting.

EDIT: The ad says the car's current location is in the U.S.. They will apparently only import it to Germany if and when somebody here buys it.

Not sure if that's helpful if you're actually looking to buy one at the moment, but maybe the current owner in the U.S. can be tracked down.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

Nice pictures of that car... :)

I don't understand that car though. It says Ferrari on the valve cover and it's apparently got a plaque in the engine bay saying something about lubricant recommendations for a Ferrari 250 GT engine. The 250 GT had a V12, but this car obviously has a V8.

I'm not familiar enough with U.S. cars, maybe this is a rebadged GM engine?

And the dashboard just looks crap. Some kind of poorly made homebrew fiberglass, and if you look closely, it's just wonky all around the edges. They should have stuck with the Corvette stock dash. Or if you go through the trouble of casting a fiberglass resin dashboard, why not make it look more like a real Ferrari Daytona dashboard.

Also, weird headrests. If you have faux Daytona seats made and you're handy with fiberglass, why not make headrests that look like the real thing as well. These don't look like anything that should be on those seats.

The chrome around the taillights is also debatable.

Edited by Daytona74

https://www.kijiji.it/annunci/auto/brescia-annunci-sirmione/vendo-daytona-replica-a-miami-vicea/124940732

Daytona replica in the motherland of Ferrari... :)

Very odd choice of seats. If I'm not mistaken, those are 1990s Audi sport seats.

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

...hence, the girl—to divert your attention from all that. :) 

Well nice try, but if somebody wants $35 grand from me, then I don't care if he's got Miss Universe leaning against his car... :p

Edited by Daytona74
  • Haha 1