Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

Thanks for the posts guys.  Keep'em coming!    If I buy one of these cars, though, it has to look like Crockett's Daytona :)

• Administrators

Thanks for the posts guys.  Keep'em coming!    If I buy one of these cars, though, it has to look like Crockett's Daytona :)

So in other words, it has to be a McBurnie.  :thumbsup:

So in other words, it has to be a McBurnie.  :thumbsup:

I guess I am not sure...is that the case?     Does a Carl Roberts car qualify?  

isnt that an old posting, as I remembered coming across that a few years ago.

and there was a couple of makers for the replicas

Carl Roberts, which used Mazda Door handles, reprofiled the flares, like the mcburnies but a little less in certain areas, as Carl was the one who worked on the daytona's on the show along with his brother Mid S1

Mcburnie Markian - the original makers of the replicas, with full on flares and a raked grill as standard post the first initial run of the cars, and alfa romeo door handles, some of the latter cars had a single headlight on either side, like the guy had in the pro build one, Sonny's is apparently one of the last of the 2 x 2's

also Mcburnie did a run of C4 cars as well, but they look more like boats than daytonas

Rowley, which was a closer to the real ones replica maker, where the flares were closer cut to the real ones, along with the dash and the interior, and the door handles were made to mimic the ones on the actual car that sat above the doors and not in them, and they came up with a removable grill for easy servicing and cleaning.

there were other makes with Jaguar and the Z cars too, personally if you want to make a mean street machine, put on 255 Tires I would go for the Mcburnie and just change the grill or remove it all together

if you want something closer to the original, the Carl Roberts cars are kind of a middle ground between the more accurate rowley and the Vice Cars

and for Photo Examples:

Rowley

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0072/index.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photos-automobiles/3033789029/- beautiful although I must wonder why no one modified the windshield like this guy did on this Keiser Frasher in this case to match the slope of the original car more

at 9:53

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photos-automobiles/3033788765/

vs this

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eccentric_m/7535752986/

as if you sunk it behind the cowel and under the hood more, it should still line up with the side windows, the top might need a trim though, although, as they say famous last words, but it could be possible to offset this by simply blacking out the chrome and painting the windshield trim satin instead of the stock matt black to easy the contrast and make the lines softer and more flowing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photos-automobiles/3034627836/

Mcburnie - mind you this is using 225's instead of the 235's the vice car had on 16 inch rims, which I kinda prefer, as the bigger the flares, the taller the rims or wheels seem to need to be to offset it

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/index.html

Carl Roberts, complete with the custom trim and a plexyglass reinforcement piece on the nose to prevent warping.

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0069/index.html

Edited by Kavinsky

Kavinsky-

I definitely like the look of a larger tire and wheel size on the Daytona.   Sounds like u saying the Daytona replica used on the show was  235 and 16's ?  

Kavinsky-

I definitely like the look of a larger tire and wheel size on the Daytona.   Sounds like u saying the Daytona replica used on the show was  235 and 16's ?  

The camera car used Pirelli P6s  in size 235/60VR15

Yeah I ment 15's there, that one that I used as reference there is using 16 inch on 225's however, and Sonny's is using 255 rear, 215 front on 15's

Yeah I ment 15's there, that one that I used as reference there is using 16 inch on 225's however, and Sonny's is using 255 rear, 215 front on 15's

Now  am confused again

Believe Kavinsky is referring to the 1981 Corvette which came with 225/70R15 tires and 255/60R15 optionally. (sometimes 215s were also used).

My Daytona has the 255s on the rear wheels and the 215s on the fronts...both 15 inch rims.

The larger wheel openings on the McBurnie bodies accommodate the larger 235s well as the 235s are around 3/4" taller than the 225s. Even the huge 255s fit fine within the Daytona wheel openings.

So if you want the look of the show cars, you would go with 235s on all fours. As a side note  Pirelli no longer makes the P6 in the 235 size so I am still looking for a replacement in that size that resembles the Pirelli.

Yes, It MAY look familiar. Brian at Volo and Mvice8489 encouraged me to research the actual value of the car before putting it up for sale. That turned out to be good advice. As you can see in this thread, there are many diamonds in the rough (in other words, spend $20,000 up front and then another $30-40 grand to make it drivable and safe). But all the research indicates that the completed Daytonas from McBurnie, Roberts, and Rowley combined total less than the real Ferraris made. Most of the cars, simply due to the age of the drivetrain and body, are poor investments. But, if you have skills or can afford to work with a good body and trim shop, the parts are out there and the car can be restored over time to become a real diamond.

The real killer is getting the actual Ferrari parts, which are hard to find and expensive (for example look at how few you see have the actual Ferrari chrome tag light on the trunk. That part alone can be over $400.). When you are bored look on Ebay for front or rear light housings for the Daytona. You can quickly drop around $3,000 with only the plastic lenses (no chrome rings for the rear lights as they are an additional $95 to $100 for each-that would be times 4 rings for the rear of the car).

Edited by jurassic narc
  • Like 1

JN,  u sure have a nice Daytona.    I think we've covered this before but I can't remember....what tire and wheel size is on your car? 

Yes, It MAY look familiar. Brian at Volo and Mvice8489 encouraged me to research the actual value of the car before putting it up for sale. That turned out to be good advice. As you can see in this thread, there are many diamonds in the rough (in other words, spend $20,000 up front and then another $30-40 grand to make it drivable and safe). But all the research indicates that the completed Daytonas from McBurnie, Roberts, and Rowley combined total less than the real Ferraris made. Most of the cars, simply due to the age of the drivetrain and body, are poor investments. But, if you have skills or can afford to work with a good body and trim shop, the parts are out there and the car can be restored over time to become a real diamond.

The real killer is getting the actual Ferrari parts, which are hard to find and expensive (for example look at how few you see have the actual Ferrari chrome tag light on the trunk. That part alone can be over $400.). When you are bored look on Ebay for front or rear light housings for the Daytona. You can quickly drop around $3,000 with only the plastic lenses (no chrome rings for the rear lights as they are an additional $95 to $100 for each-that would be times 4 rings for the rear of the car).

Nice ad and photos of your car, JN. I'm wondering how you determined the appraised value on the car though since there is really no market for these cars other than the occasional EBay listing.

Sonny, I too have always wondered how deep of market there really is for these cars.  Sure there are many guys like us (big MV fans) who covet these cars....but how many of those fans are actually stepping up and writing an actual $30K+ check for one?    

Now  am confused again

The reference car I used here, its not running on the vice car rims and tires

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0050/index.html

and that's jurrasics car then? I didnt bother to check as I thought he had found the ad for the volo daytona that was asking 125 K or something that I found years ago back after they restored the car

and I dont know, its a matter of how strong the desire is to have something one of a kind really, plus people often write off the Corvette in favor of a porsche when it comes to which one is better for whatever reason, as the porsche is more of a car that generally seems to stay the same, so you always know what your getting.

while the Vette can varry based on how well receaved each revision has been.

and I would say its probably a good bet that the value of the cars is tied into how well GM probably does on a year by year basis too.

as if a GM Product is doing well, the resale value of it is probably effected postively, even if its from a very different era, its one of those weird things where people look at the brand rather than the model to see if its good.

as a matter of fact in some foreign countries I've heard that cars like the Viper and the Corvette are called and sold just that or something close to it.

I must ask so your really gonna go through with it though Jurrasic? and what are you going to opt for afterwards?

and Mvice with collector cars like this sometimes it is a good idea to just opt for someone whos put in all the hard work and pay abit extra for a car that's sorted like Jurrasics, like leno talks about here

as a paintjob is about 7 grand alone, so this red one is out based on that.

and also he repainted his car from red to black, jurrasic's I mean

plus his door is dragging and he has a sticking rear brake with that red one,

plus it is possible to drastically change everything on that car, as long as you do the work yourself, the labor is the thing that kills you on these things.

its why the roadkill boys have such great cars on the cheap, they do all the work.

and I found out recently that apparently had half of what youngman was asking for his burried in a trust fund account that I was never told about, and I really regret not going for it now knowing that, like god damn it why didnt you tell me.

so dont make the mistake I made, go for it if you love it, see in person, drive it first, and do it if you like it, you only live once after all.

Edited by Kavinsky

Sonny, I too have always wondered how deep of market there really is for these cars.  Sure there are many guys like us (big MV fans) who covet these cars....but how many of those fans are actually stepping up and writing an actual $30K+ check for one?

I'm not implying his price is unreasonable because in the case of my car I have well over $30K invested in it so far and I have much work yet to be done. And most of the cars I've seen listed on Ebay or Kitcars in the $20-$25K price range also seem to need much work, that is when the sellers disclose what actually is needed.

I'm really more curious as to how JN determined the appraised value.

JN and Sonny, did you made some work at the frame and the birdcage?

Like Sonny wrote, the market determines the price. The cars are difficult to estimate. Every car is unique. I never saw Daytonas they look similar. For getting a good price, you need THE buyer  who wants your car.

A MV like car (stock Corvette seats and dash) is probably cheaper than one that comes close to the original.

And much depends on the condition of the car. Is there rust on the chassis and the birdcage, such is the condition of the mechanism and the paintwork?

Are the Ferrari specific parts present and not broken?

gallery_2717_11_30857.jpg

On my car i had to work on the brakes. Next thing i have to change are the side yokes and maybe the cooling system. so, the next 3k francs are gone ;( 

I hope that Google has translated well :D 

Edited by Pritt

side yokes? with the cooling have you had the radiator boiled out, as it might be that simple and how are the fans, are they pointed the right way and in good nick? are they electric or still the stock ones that run off of the clutch only when its moving? as back then they didnt really trust electronics and tried to be mechanical with everything.

and righfully so with some of the problems people had with the early electronics of the Audi Ur Quattro.

also you might be able to upgrade the brakes fairly cheaply with something called EBC yellowstuff brake pads if they need further work

I should also add when it comes to the other conversation that in looking up the tag light for the daytona, as I noticed the Volo car is missing that, its not 400 bucks, its damn near 3X that now. a full grand.

and chances are its probably the kind of situation that small parts like that really came off of other cars to begin with like Fiat and Alfa, and are probably like 50 bucks if you can find them, as the miura and the detomaso seem to be both using the same tail lights, and yet for the miura with the label on it, its some insane price

and hell I must wonder if it would be possible to retrofit something from a rover SD1 on them when it comes to the turn signal ambers

800px-Rover_sd1_club.jpg

and you can thank clarkson for noticing this if it works, then it would be just a matter of the body itself, and the bumpers/grill

Edited by Kavinsky

This is a side yoke

gallery_2717_20_3583.jpggallery_2717_20_81847.jpg

If they match not perfectly (uncorrect travel room), the car can oversteering when you make fast moves. So that's dangerous. It feels like a self-steered rear axle. It's a weak point of the C3 Corvette.

*also you might be able to upgrade the brakes fairly cheaply with something called EBC yellowstuff brake pads if they need further work*

The brakecaliper was leaking. Thats an other weak point of the C3, if the car stands arround for a long time.

My cooling System is fitted by one electric fan. Sometimes i have some little spots of cooling water under the car. Not really much. The radiator is leaking a little sometimes. My Daytona has never overheated so far...

The turn signals from the rover will not fit. And hey, this turn signals are the eye-catcher at the Daytona. So there should not be tinkered.

I hope that Google has translated well :D 

Edited by Pritt

Nice ad and photos of your car, JN. I'm wondering how you determined the appraised value on the car though since there is really no market for these cars other than the occasional EBay listing.

Some of that is subjective. I based on the feedback I got from Volo. Also, major vendors in this area can provide guidance. EBay is a poor source, since there is no real gauge on the legitimacy of the transactions. Bottom line is that those who want a car like mine can either buy a completed car and pay up front or buy a beater and spend the money to clean it up (in the drug business it is "pay me now or pay me later, either way you will end up paying!"

Since I don't have to sell my car, I am not going to price it on the low end. And the market will determine the price.

Guns and cars truly are subject to the market, no matter what some expert may say (high or low). My watch is now worth about $16,000 according to the published information, but I'd have to find the right buyer.

Not going to rush into the sale of the car, as I have not reason to sell it low.

I'm not implying his price is unreasonable because in the case of my car I have well over $30K invested in it so far and I have much work yet to be done. And most of the cars I've seen listed on Ebay or Kitcars in the $20-$25K price range also seem to need much work, that is when the sellers disclose what actually is needed.

I'm really more curious as to how JN determined the appraised value.

If you enter into this looking for an investment, I would say "use caution". If you buy the car you have dreamed off, in the rough, and make it what you want-then it is time well wasted. The money issue is also very real, but you have to space the expenditures out. And make sure you have time to enjoy the car!

SONNY, you know better then most on this forum, the purchase of one of these cars should be done with your eyes wide open. The drivetrain is at least 33 years old. While the GM parts are available, they are not cheap like they were at one time. Aftermarket custom parts (the shifter knob comes to mind, as they were all over the place at one time) are impossible to find. And then the Ferrari parts, as I mentioned earlier, are just ridiculous, but you have to have them.

These cars are dream fulfillment. Like the hobby of Cowboy Shooting. When you get to a certain age and place in life you get to the point where you can afford to do some of the things you wanted to do as a kid. If you go after this dream with a ledger book that you plan to balance, you will be unhappy at the end of the day. If you dive in the deep end of the pool, and chase your dreams, you get the joy of driving a really neat car. And knowing that you can't take it to CarMax and get your money back.....That's just the way it is.

The cars are like the Bren-Ten. Very expensive to buy, very expensive to maintain, and with a limited re-sale market. I didn't go for the gun because I can't carry it on duty, and wouldn't want to shoot it as much as I would have to to stay qualified (200+ rounds a year). But I encourage everyone to chase those dreams, and if, at the end of the day, you can't put down the money then at least you have all the information on this forum to keep those dreams alive.

If your not dreaming, your not living! (Original quote-available for greeting cards and commemorative plaques)

Edited by jurassic narc
  • Like 1

If you enter into this looking for an investment, I would say "use caution". If you buy the car you have dreamed off, in the rough, and make it what you want-then it is time well wasted. The money issue is also very real, but you have to space the expenditures out. And make sure you have time to enjoy the car!

SONNY, you know better then most on this forum, the purchase of one of these cars should be done with your eyes wide open. The drivetrain is at least 33 years old. While the GM parts are available, they are not cheap like they were at one time. Aftermarket custom parts (the shifter knob comes to mind, as they were all over the place at one time) are impossible to find. And then the Ferrari parts, as I mentioned earlier, are just ridiculous, but you have to have them.

These cars are dream fulfillment. Like the hobby of Cowboy Shooting. When you get to a certain age and place in life you get to the point where you can afford to do some of the things you wanted to do as a kid. If you go after this dream with a ledger book that you plan to balance, you will be unhappy at the end of the day. If you dive in the deep end of the pool, and chase your dreams, you get the joy of driving a really neat car. And knowing that you can't take it to CarMax and get your money back.....That's just the way it is.

The cars are like the Bren-Ten. Very expensive to buy, very expensive to maintain, and with a limited re-sale market. I didn't go for the gun because I can't carry it on duty, and wouldn't want to shoot it as much as I would have to to stay qualified (200+ rounds a year). But I encourage everyone to chase those dreams, and if, at the end of the day, you can't put down the money then at least you have all the information on this forum to keep those dreams alive.

If your not dreaming, your not living! (Original quote-available for greeting cards and commemorative plaques)

Great post JN :)

BTW, I'm not sure if u saw my latest E mail to you a few days ago but you and I still need to schedule a date that I can fly down and see your car.  Buzz me during my office hours (where my calendar is).   Would love to a date set.