Miami Vice 30 Years Later

Yann529

Awesome video,one of the better ones I've seen of the show.I love everything about that show and am building up a Vice collection.I would love to see the full Today Show interview they had in that vid.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm surprised no one posted the Miami Hearld conference on the show titled "The Vice Effect: How a Hit TV show changed Miami"

If you listen at the 56:45-57:50 mark, you'll probably listen to the most shocking piece of information, in that the casting director (Lori Wyman, the woman on the far right) was able to take home with her many of the fashionable clothes from the show that the wardrobe department couldn't return.  PLUS, she states she had to clean out her home (and unaware of the show's monumental impact) and threw away around 100 scripts of the show!!!!

Watch the whole clip, it's definitely worth it and very informative!

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2015 at 5:39 AM, Vice Immersion said:

I'm surprised no one posted the Miami Hearld conference on the show titled "The Vice Effect: How a Hit TV show changed Miami"

If you listen at the 56:45-57:50 mark, you'll probably listen to the most shocking piece of information, in that the casting director (Lori Wyman, the woman on the far right) was able to take home with her many of the fashionable clothes from the show that the wardrobe department couldn't return.  PLUS, she states she had to clean out her home (and unaware of the show's monumental impact) and threw away around 100 scripts of the show!!!!

Oh man, how sad. I wonder if those scripts are the ones that ended up on eBay 5-10 years ago. The seller claimed he got them from a dumpster or something.

I watched the entire video. The audio is atrocious. Here are the highlights:

• the moderator says "... and let's face it, NOBODY liked the movie"    :D
  • Lori Wyman talks about how she liked being able to re-use actors (something we've discussed here).  She said that casting directors aren't allowed to do that nowadays.
  • When they needed James Brown to sign his contract for "Missing Hours", it turned out he was so illiterate that he didn't know how to write his own name!
  • The guy on the panel said that the Art Deco hotels on Ocean Drive were made to look fabulous on MV even though in real life they were run down and seedy.  I don't know about that.  I don't think MV made those buildings look upscale.  And it is well known that Michael Mann's vision for the show was poor people in Art Deco and rich people in modern,
  • Mac's Club Deuce was spruced up for MV including the addition of neon signs and those neon signs are still there.  Miamijimf has talked about the guy who made those signs (Mr. Neon) numerous times.
  • Around 53:00, there was something mumbled about somebody living next to DJ's residence ... paging Omaha   ;)

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

Oh man, how sad. I wonder if those scripts are the ones that ended up on eBay 5-10 years ago. The seller claimed he got them from a dumpster or something.

I watched the entire video. The audio is atrocious. Here are the highlights:

• the moderator says "... and let's face it, NOBODY liked the movie"    :D
  • Lori Wyman talks about how she liked being able to re-use actors (something we've discussed here).  She said that casting directors aren't allowed to do that nowadays.
  • When they needed James Brown to sign his contract for "Missing Hours", it turned out he was so illterate that he didn't know how to write his own name!
  • The guy on the panel said that the Art Deco hotels on Ocean Drive were made to look fabulous on MV even though in real life they were run down and seedy.  I don't know about that.  I don't think MV made those buildings look upscale.  And it is well known that Michael Mann's vision for the show was poor people in Art Deco and rich people in modern,
  • Mac's Club Deuce was spruced up for MV including the addition of neon signs and those neon signs are still there.  Miamijimf has talked about the guy who made those signs (Mr. Neon) numerous times.
  • Around 53:00, there was something mumbled about somebody living next to DJ's residence ... paging Omaha   ;)

Ya I think that "run down and seedy" isn't an accurate description of the pre-Vice Art Deco Hotels.  They were a little too rough on the area and left a wrong impression.  For sure Vice gave the hotels and all of Ocean Drive a real boost and even helped save SoBe from redevelopment.  But my buddies and I used to visit the hotels and cruise Deco Drive in the 60s and occasionally in the 70s and early 80s.  It was mainly God's Waiting Room but I don't remember anything on Deco Drive being run down or shabby. 

Who is Omaha?  Must have missed something.

• Like 1

Omaha is the poster who was obsessed (both here and at .org) with finding Don Johnson's house on Star Island.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's hard to imagine that what you are currently working on will have such a great and lasting impact on people's lives and pop culture. Videos like this really do help with properly assessing the legacy of MV.

• Like 2