The Car Chasers' TV show think they have a 'Vice car!

Mvice8489

Tomorrow night (Wednesday, December 11, 2014) at 9:00 pm CST on channel CNBC is a car show called 'The Car Chasers.  The two people on the show (who buy and sell cars) try to verify the claim that the Ferrrari that they are considering buying mysteriously vanished from the set of 'Miami Vice'        Yeah, right !!

Anyway, cant wait to watch it  :)

Yet another one from the show?  lol...if I had a dollar for every Daytona that was supposedly 'used in the show'.

The link for a preview is here: http://www.cnbcprime.com/the-car-chasers/video/extended-sneak-peek-at-an-all-new-the-car-chasers-episode/

and is on CNBC tomorrow 10PM EST, 9PM CST.

He says it "disappeared" from the show. A neat trick since only 2 were used, one is owned by a member in here, and the other likely scrapped through Carl R.

Edit: Wondering if perhaps he's looking at the car from either the StarCars museum in TN or perhaps the one in Volo, IL, both of whom claim to own "the car" driven in Miami Vice.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• Administrators

All reality shows are fake. It doesn't have to be the actual car, as long as it's a McBernie. It's all for good TV.

Unless our "pal" sold him one and claimed its a McBernie used on the show. :)

Jokes aside, I hope I can find this online someday so I can watch it.

Wasn't this the same show who found Switek's T-bird?

• Like 2

The Only way they'd possibly find a true one that vanished from miami vice would be if it was the Detomaso or one of the testarossa's, which was repainted from badass black metalic to milk white, and the vin and options should reflect that

and as as we've pointed out and know both cars are accounted for, ones just a rolling chasis now and the other is in private hands.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

I wrote a comment at FB that this is certanly not the MV car - 5 minutes later it was censored :)

Not surprising at all that they don't want anyone pouring water on their "big find". 

Is only a brief clip, but for someone claiming to be a "car expert" he seems not too interested in tracking down documentation (bills of sale, titles) and Vin numbers that would be the only way to prove ownership. And if the chassis is still at Carl Roberts shop, then they have no claim whatsoever to anything related to the show.

Maybe you could post that question on his Facebook page.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• Administrators

I wrote a comment at FB that this is certanly not the MV car - 5 minutes later it was censored :)

Nope, your comment is still there. I just "Liked" it.  :thumbsup:

Just watched it and I was astonished at the conclusions reached. First, MCB measured the car and the driver's side (wheel to wheel) was 98" and the right side was supposed to be 96.5". When they measured it was found to be 97.5" and so MCB indicated it wasn't his car. (Car 1). I also found it odd that you wouldn't put the car on a lift to measure the frame from underneath, and look for evidence of repair or mods.

Then the owner opens the trunk and pulls out some old dash remnants which he claimed came with the car. MCB then indicated they looked like the dash he originally installed. To my amazement, he then said that maybe the show modified the frame of the car to make it pull less, and then declared it WAS car 1.

He seemed to reverse himself solely based on the dash remnant, which could have easily been sourced elsewhere, and then rationalized that someone else could have stretched the right side of the frame. It never seemed to occur to them that perhaps other donor frames might also have been repaired or in an accident.

And there was no discussion or visual of the stunt brake pedal to see if it was included, which would have been a feature on Car 1.

So, there was never any discussion of VIN numbers, plate numbers (MCB plate), registration doc history or the all important Bills of Sale history that should trace title transfer through Universal Studios when they were purchased.

And the owner never makes any reference to where he sourced the car or any related paperwork on the transfer, which I would think MCB would be interested in seeing. So if the frame was somehow sourced from Carl R, where did the dash remnant come from? Where did the body come from?

Not convincing at all, imo.

Edit: And just checked the Volo car where they also claim the passenger side is 1 1/4" shorter than the driver's side. So now we know that at least 2 cars have shorter right side frames, further weakening the above case. And in the Volo car case, CameraDaytona visited Volo and verified that the VIN number on that car does not match Universal Studios records.

http://www.volocars.com/1973-ferrari-daytona-from-miami-vice-c-670.htm#sthash.JkggwNeK.dpbs

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

If I remember correctly I have a photo of the dash of car 1 in my photo collection, its on here somewhere in the behind the scenes photos, as its a modded pre 1977 dash, not an Mcburnie dash

not to mention it should have some pin holes in it on the black part of the dash, as you can see in glades when they switch to it with the fishing rods sticking out of it

freeze at 2:15 and look infront of don, the silver pin sticking out and reflecting in the sun.

post-592-13892966297748.jpg

gallery_471_5_51649.jpg

and see? even Don thinks its bullshit lol

plus the Mcburnie dash is based off of car 4, although it only vaguely resembles it and sits lower than the hood, while the actual vice car ones block the view of the hood gaps, think like if someone took car 4's dash and tried to flaten it to look like the early 1960's corvette dashes. probably to ease asembly and manufactur or maybe all it was was a normal corvette dash that was lightly modded by Mcburnie.

and the seats on that thing, pre 1978 model, and I swear I had seen that car being sold online before, as I remember seeing those STUPID spinners and low rider rims on one before.

and also in the Tom Falconer book about the C3 corvette, the bumpers on the C3 werent really buiil for impacts, they only just barely passed the new bumper regulations in the early 1970's as if it hit head on they would theordically take the hit at low speed

anywhere off to the side and it would damage the frame, and frame straightening stations back then were common and I bet they never ADDED any new metal to strengthen the now warped frames either

and even then one of the 1971 cudas from nash bridges suffered that same kind of damage from a jump at 0:08

and it supposedly never drove the same afterwards, which is probably why alot of those old cars ended up at the scrap heap. and if you want a head spinning repair list, just look up the good inspector morses Opalecent Maroon jaguar Mark 2 on the Internet movie car database, 248 RPA after it went in for resto.

hell I also know that the 1969 dodge charger used for the Test Drive 2002 game cover got rear ended by a camaro,

2179505-box_td.png

a minor accident at a stop light where a camaro actually went under the bumper of the Charger at low speed  and that required frame rail work to fix it, so all of these old muscle cars and corvettes could have easily had Frame work damage beforehand or afterhand after the Mcburnie body conversion.

after all just ask stinger about how hard it is to find a good one.

also what of the Momo Veloce Steering wheel on that thing? any sign of it as it apears Car 1 had the same steering wheel on it from the photo here, and that bloody thing is probably just as rare as the car itself.
Edited by Kavinsky

Did I get that right? This guy has now found both Daytonas? Is this Jeff Sauter from the vette mgazine article? He wrote at FB:

*I could understand why you might think that because of all the drama surrounding these cars..... But there is a lot more to the story than what has been made public.....

I have paperwork from Roberts and 3 witnesses that were directly involved with these cars other than McBurnie. I even have a voice mail from Carl Roberts over the first car which I sold to Volo, and Roberts claimed I stole it and he called the Police....if they were not "real" why claim it was his???

We are far from frauds!!!*

So he play the game a second time?

Sorry, Google Translation...

Edited by Pritt

well the Volo Car was a derelict, from speed zone at 0:09

a car that he made and let them use that had been left to sit in the hot texas sun for more than a few years after it was returned with damage, or atleast that was the general jist of it that I can remember

and I dont know what the law is when it comes to cars being abandoned and how long you have to wait before you can claim them, which might be why he reacted that way

as the land owner of where the car was stored and forgotten might have just sold it to him under those pretenses saying it was the vice car, where as the only possibility with the volo car is that it MIGHT be the body of car 1

and this new one is a fake in every sense, plus wouldnt he KNOW that he already supposedly had the car with the damaged frame?

not to mention where are the valve cover breathers? or any of the normal kit these cars would have as film cars.

Edited by Kavinsky

Did I get that right? This guy has now found both Daytonas? Is this Jeff Sauter from the vette mgazine article? He wrote at FB:

*I could understand why you might think that because of all the drama surrounding these cars..... But there is a lot more to the story than what has been made public.....

I have paperwork from Roberts and 3 witnesses that were directly involved with these cars other than McBurnie. I even have a voice mail from Carl Roberts over the first car which I sold to Volo, and Roberts claimed I stole it and he called the Police....if they were not "real" why claim it was his???

We are far from frauds!!!*

So he play the game a second time?

Sorry, Google Translation...

Can you post the links for these quotes pls? 

Regardless of what anyone claims on these shows, there were only 2 Daytonas used in Vice... Car 1 (stunt) and Car 4 (camera).

Bottom line is this...the Camera Car is owned by CameraDaytona and he has records from Universal proving his case, and Jurassicnarc has also seen these records.

So only the Stunt car is in question, and supposedly the car was stripped to the chassis by Roberts. So the chassis could be out there in some form or another, and the Vin number on that chassis can be verified against Universal records.

CameraDaytona has already compared the Volo chassis Vin number to Universal records and they don't match. Likely the same could be done with this Car Chasers car and I think it likely would not match, or else these guys would already be touting some sort of Vin and paper trail. The Body of Car 1 was removed by Roberts as I am recalling so it could be anywhere, and possibly on the Volo car, but it is not traceable.

So what did the Car Chasers guy establish? One side was shorter, but not the required 1.5 inches, and we know the Volo car can claim a similar frame discrepancy. That the doors were steel doors, but MCB only said that his early cars (plural) were steel. That he had some dash remnant that may or may not have come from Car 1, but was not attached and so could have been from anywhere.

That MCB weighed in was interesting, but from what I am recalling, MCB, Roberts and others weren't exactly pals, and so they could just be trying to stick it to one another on national TV.

So imo the Car Chasers show was nothing but TV showmanship, and was an attempt to jack up the value of the car (with smoke and mirrors) before he brings it to market. Having MCB claim it is Car 1 seems to be his only provenance, but without validating his VIN against Universal records no one should buy off on this. We've seen this before with the Volo car when they did a big marketing push, and tried claiming it was Car 1 and were trying to sell it for around $175,000. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Hy Sonny, here are the links:
https://www.facebook.com/TheCarChasers?fref=ts

And Jeffrey Allen i think is Jeff Sauter, the same guy who found the Daytona in the Texas sun. Thats what i find out via FB:
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.allen.5477?fref=ufi

I'm wondering: where are the right spoke wheels, where are the right seets, where is the dash? This car is definitly not in MV condition.

Edited by Pritt
  • Like 1

And Jeffrey Allen i think is Jeff Sauter, the same guy who found the Daytona in the Texas sun. Thats what i find out via FB:

I'm wondering: where are the right spoke wheels, where are the right seets, where is the dash? This car is definitly not in MV condition.

Greetz from Switzerland

So this Allen guy is the guy who sold the first car to Volo, according to him. And that one was supposedly the Stunt car  and yet the VIN number did not match Universal records. 

So how can he now again claim he has the Stunt car, which he clearly does in the Car chaser's show?  So now there are 2 stunt cars?  lol

He references "paperwork" on "these cars" seemingly lumping them together but without being specific, voice mails on the first car (nothing to do with this one), and witnesses but nowhere does he claim to have anything from Universal matching VIN numbers, or Bills of Sale. Without that, he cannot prove his case.  :p

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Greetz from Switzerland

Hmm couldn't open the second link. What makes you think these guys are one in the same?

Jeff Allen is the guy from the TV Show The Car Chasers (first link = FB-Site from The Car Chasers) The second link Shows the personal FB-Site from Jeff Allen. There you can see the pics from the vette Magazin article and theres written:

Here is part one of the MV cars saga.....  Did you know Jeff discovered the other Miami Vice Daytona right here in Lubbock, Texas sitting outside rotting away in a dirt lot? We had just moved to Lubboc...k from California and as our life had always been, every Daytona Replica had to be viewed....that tradition continued. He almost walked away from buying it because of the price.... But there was no way I was going to hear about how he "almost" had the car!"

Maybe you can reach Jeffs FB-Site by clicking his name at the first link.

Did you read James' comment? :thumbsup:

2 Stunt cars :D  :D :D  This guy shoots in his own knee 

Tonight i will go in my garage an take measure at my Daytona - maybe i am a owner of car Nr. 1 :wuerg:

Edited by Pritt

Jeff Allen is the guy from the TV Show The Car Chasers (first link = FB-Site from The Car Chasers) The second link Shows the personal FB-Site from Jeff Allen. There you can see the pics from the vette Magazin article and theres written:

Here is part one of the MV cars saga.....  Did you know Jeff discovered the other Miami Vice Daytona right here in Lubbock, Texas sitting outside rotting away in a dirt lot? We had just moved to Lubboc...k from California and as our life had always been, every Daytona Replica had to be viewed....that tradition continued. He almost walked away from buying it because of the price.... But there was no way I was going to hear about how he "almost" had the car!"

Maybe you can reach Jeffs FB-Site by clicking his name at the first link.

Did you read James' comment? :thumbsup:

2 Stunt cars :D  :D :D  This guy shoots in his own knee 

I did see James comments but as I don't have a FB account I could not open the second link you sent, so maybe is a privacy setting.

So according to him, he has owned both Show Daytonas?  So how does he now explain that the Volo car (which he sold to them) also has a shorter right side wheel base, and that Volo uses that now as their provenance? 

Ask him to explain how he has 2 cars with shorter right side wheel bases ....can they both be the Stunt Car?  :p  And ask him to post interior pics of the Car Chaser car, to include the brake pedals....should be a second brake pedal.

And maybe also ask, perhaps posting these on his Car Chasers FB and his personal FB account,...ask him to post the VIN number of the Car from Car Chasers, and copies of all related Bills of Sale referencing that VIN number, and any proof (Universal Studios Titles referencing that VIN number) supporting his claim that the car he claimed was the stunt car was actually used in Miami Vice.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

So the doors on the daytona's were steel initially? just like they have on normal corvettes or atleast some of the early ones?

I guess that explains the sound they made during S3, as I thought they sounded a little loud for an all fiberglass car, does that mean that it could also apply to other parts of the car like the hood and the trunk as well?

and Carl still has the chasis of Car 1, the body is the only thing in question, and supposedly any number of cars could supposedly have it as Carl isnt quite sure which car has it, that big ass drag car that I came across months ago with the Aligator Skin interior or the volo car

hmm with all this running around and backing and forthing, doesnt he relize he'd have a far better time finding the detomaso testarossa repica or the other testa at this point? I mean both ferrari and the detomaso boys keep a very good record of their cars and where they've been found.

so maybe its just buyers remorse, he has to say he has the THEE car so he can sleep at night.

and it kinda makes me wonder if he bought the equavalent of this TWICE:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-fans/mad-max-replica-cars/mad-max-interceptors/car-17-replica/index.html

Edited by Kavinsky

So the doors on the daytona's were steel initially? just like they have on normal corvettes or atleast some of the early ones?

I guess that explains the sound they made during S3, as I thought they sounded a little loud for an all fiberglass car, does that mean that it could also apply to other parts of the car like the hood and the trunk as well?

and Carl still has the chasis of Car 1, the body is the only thing in question, and supposedly any number of cars could supposedly have it as Carl isnt quite sure which car has it, that big ass drag car that I came across months ago with the Aligator Skin interior or the volo car

hmm with all this running around and backing and forthing, doesnt he relize he'd have a far better time finding the detomaso testarossa repica or the other testa at this point? I mean both ferrari and the detomaso boys keep a very good record of their cars and where they've been found.

so maybe its just buyers remorse, he has to say he has the THEE car so he can sleep at night.

and it kinda makes me wonder if he bought the equavalent of this TWICE:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-fans/mad-max-replica-cars/mad-max-interceptors/car-17-replica/index.html

Well I am not so sure Roberts wouldn't have parted with the stunt chassis after so many years, if it could bring a nice buck. It could of course also be long gone or scrapped. But if Allen acquired it, there would be an identifying VIN number on the frame or block that could be compared to records owned by CameraDaytona.

My interior door frame is steel as well, assuming that's what he was referring to. But mine was one of the later McBurnies, so I am wondering if MCB meant something else, or his memory could be off.

There really was no documentation presented that could substantiate this Car Chaser guy's claim, and he needs to either produce it or stop claiming he has a car from the show. And his claim of having "the Car" because of the shorter right side makes no sense, as the car he sold to Volo has an even greater right side variance with the driver's side. So is he saying he has 2 Stunt Cars?  Nonsense .

yeah I would wadger his memory is off, as you have one of the last 2X2 Cars, instead of that ugly 1 square model, so I would think it would be reversed, that they tried an all fiberglass door first and then steel

and I remember Jurrasic talking about having the fiberglass on his doors redone on his carl roberts, so I'm not sure if that's steel framed or a 100% fiberglass

and I'd say less than 20% man, I think more along the lines of 5% if that, as the car would be a 1976 model, with 1978 seats, a modded dash that looks like a coblled together hybrid of Car 4 and a 1978 car, and that the car was originally painted Red with the new body.

and this car has pre 1978 seats in it for a start, the wrong wheels and rims and I doubt he found any red paint anywhere or reminants of it in the fiberglass, not to mention the body would be designed in such a way that it would be seamlessly off by an inch

as it was purely by accident that they chose a damaged car, as they went for a used corvette as a prototype as that's what you do, you dont use a brand new car unless you know your going to match the quality of the new car itself, plus the cost savings.

and we kinda wonder if this was car 1 before it was used on vice.

$T2eC16V,!yUFIb7Qvu%281BSHb%29wZD!!~~60_

as Jurrasic found out that the headlights were off of a mazda RX something, the RX3 from the 1970's, plus note the grill, its flat and square, no angled edges and I wonder if it had the same grill on vice

as when car 1 was used I thought it somehow looked different from car 4 in the final episode it was used in, yankee dollar in S2, as it was scrapped soon after to try and put a testarossa body on it.

so if the body was moved to a new chasis I would wadger the body would have had to of been modified in some way, like cut and add in small places like the hindges or the door sills, unless the body was modded to fix the proportions after they noticed the frame problem and fixed it and the frame

which is entirely possible, which means for all we know theres no real way to tell if the body is thee body if we looked close up.

so looking and saying I have the Car 1 body or the vice car is entirely poinltless, as bad as saying I have the mad max stuntcar 17 there, and would be impossible to prove true.

Edited by Kavinsky

So what are the probabilities that this is the real MV car?   20%??

I would say minimal.

Three reasons....this guy previously misrepresented the Volo car when he sold it to them represented as "the Miami Vice car". That has been proven false, as the Vehicle ID did not match records of Universal Studios. His exotic story about finding it on a lot in Texas doesn't create provenance. So, if he misrepresented the first car then that there is an increased likelihood he may do it again.

Secondly,  since the car measured was only 1/2 inch different on the right side vs the left, it does not match up to what McBurnie stated (he said 96.5 inches, and it measured 97.5 inches). And if he claimed he had the Car 1 body on that chassis then he would have a significant problem of Fit, since the Car 1 body was designed for a shorter right side by at least an inch more and that seems to me a fairly significant a gap to integrate into a longer frame. How would he stretch the fiberglass or the spacing for that without creating a visual problem?  

FInally, he has produced NO documentation. He should produce the VIN tag, Bills of Sale, and Title and registration docs with as much history as possible if he has them. If not, he has no chance to convince anyone this is Car 1 (unless gullible buyers choose to believe more exotic stories). And from the Article in this forum written by Jurassicnarc (an expert on these cars), Car 1 was not returned to Roberts with a title after the show ended. So producing docs may be next to impossible.

And on the chance he has the Car 1 body on a different chassis, there are no identifying codes on the body to verify this. And that body may very well be on the Volo car, though with a different frame.  

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

yeah I would wadger his memory is off, as you have one of the last 2X2 Cars, instead of that ugly 1 square model, so I would think it would be reversed, that they tried an all fiberglass door first and then steel

and I remember Jurrasic talking about having the fiberglass on his doors redone on his carl roberts, so I'm not sure if that's steel framed or a 100% fiberglass

and I'd say less than 20% man, I think more along the lines of 5% if that, as the car would be a 1976 model, with 1978 seats, a modded dash that looks like a coblled together hybrid of Car 4 and a 1978 car, and that the car was originally painted Red with the new body.

and this car has pre 1978 seats in it for a start, the wrong wheels and rims and I doubt he found any red paint anywhere or reminants of it in the fiberglass, not to mention the body would be designed in such a way that it would be seamlessly off by an inch

as it was purely by accident that they chose a damaged car, as they went for a used corvette as a prototype as that's what you do, you dont use a brand new car unless you know your going to match the quality of the new car itself, plus the cost savings.

and we kinda wonder if this was car 1 before it was used on vice.

$T2eC16V,!yUFIb7Qvu%281BSHb%29wZD!!~~60_

as Jurrasic found out that the headlights were off of a mazda RX something, the RX3 from the 1970's, plus note the grill, its flat and square, no angled edges and I wonder if it had the same grill on vice

as when car 1 was used I thought it somehow looked different from car 4 in the final episode it was used in, yankee dollar in S2, as it was scrapped soon after to try and put a testarossa body on it.

so if the body was moved to a new chasis I would wadger the body would have had to of been modified in some way, like cut and add in small places like the hindges or the door sills, unless the body was modded to fix the proportions after they noticed the frame problem and fixed it and the frame

which is entirely possible, which means for all we know theres no real way to tell if the body is thee body if we looked close up.

so looking and saying I have the Car 1 body or the vice car is entirely poinltless, as bad as saying I have the mad max stuntcar 17 there, and would be impossible to prove true.

I know you've done a lot of research on car 1. Can you recap what you have learned, and repost any pics that you believe are Car 1 please?