The Car Chasers' TV show think they have a 'Vice car!

Mvice8489

both cars were given to carl in return for the detomaso pantera replica in S3 and probably his continued work on the cars and as the story goes Car 1 was stripped to bare chasis to attempt to rig it up as a testarossa replica, but given the midengined construction it failed and was left bare.

the engine's location is unknown, but supposedly he still has the chasis of car 1, the Car in question at volo was a car that he made up for the awful film Speed zone in 1989, that was raised for ground clerance and damaged accordingly as they drive it down a flight of stairs in its first apperance.

and for all I know that caused the supposed frame damage on a different car and that wrongly gives them a right to claim it is car 1,

and with the body, if the damage is so significiant could have been scrapped for the parts that were intact, like the door maybe, or the hood.

but the entire frame of the body would have had to been scrapped is my guess, with maybe the 4 opening parts being reused but other than that chances are the volo car is an entirely new chasis and body car.

and frankly the only part that could be from the vice car on that one are the rare Zenith wire wheel caps made of steel, the amber ones that are exceptionally rare, as the rims could have been reused from it on another car without issue.

that and maybe the steering wheel, and the mirrors, other than bare easy to change parts I think whole heartedly given the age of the car the entire thing was scrapped and car 1 in its entirety outside of the chasis is dust.

Car 1 itself was a 1976 car of unknown original color or interior color, chances are it had the typical beige interior of the cars used for the first run, outside of maybe one that had a black interior with car 2, as on that one it appeared the seats were tan while the interior was mostly black

gallery_471_5_21898.jpg

and the car was changed over to red for the rebodying.

also of note with car 2 here, I cant quite see the door handles, which brings into question which car this is, as supposedly at first they tried to use the stock corvette door handles but it didnt work out and they switched to the alfa ones

although when that happened in the time line is unknown, as it defintely happened with Cars 3 and 4

gallery_471_5_212187.jpg

car 3

and car 4, first photo

gallery_471_5_155284.jpg

and car 1 could have been converted to this latter or for the show. during its refit to try and make it look like car 4, which sadly included scrapping the seats of Car 4 for the stock 78 ones, a BIG Mistake in my eyes.

and with the interior of the cars, Car 1 seems to have been an attempt to maybe modernize it with the insturment binacle of a 1978 car and possibly the dash itself

gallery_471_5_51649.jpg

as I cant say for certain as we cant see the glove box here, as GM decided to delete that from the C3 until 1978, if it has it the dash was converted over to a latter 78 then, while the door panels seem to be based on the 1977 and early ones

as the handle is further down and sits in a pocket,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqj_75dwVgE

22:26, and at 22:13, note the Grill, its flat like on the red car in the photo

CIMG7191.jpg

at 0:51

while on the 1978 it sits further up at an easier to see and grab place, like on car 4, a 1981 car in the above video, and of which I know they used that stye of inner door handle until atleast 1996, as one of my former cars had it, and the outside door handle broke on it, had to use a special way to open the door.

so I know what Jurrasic went through with his recently with the exterior one, and I wonder if he'll be back soon or not.

also it seems like the 76 car has horizontal lines on it, probably to cover up that part of the 1976 door panels,  while the 1981 car was abit smoother and had a boom box speaker sticking out of it along with a working interior light mounted in it

gallery_471_5_10012.jpg

23:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDCtl83zp2M

also the headliner trim on the 76 car is different, the 1978 redesign of the now always a coupe one had the windshield visors as part of the locking mechanismn for the targa tops, while on the 1976 cars it was literally screwed into the trim

and as you can see in the photo, it had none, they were never installed.

also that thing about the redesign in 1978 is probably why the windshield visors were ever disapearing from car 4

as now that they were mounted upwards and as part of the targa to assembly they were probably shielded from the wind by the frame for them, on the conversion now with that frame gone, chances are they would get knocked in by the wind

and thus well probably ripped off more than once by Don, or the camera crew for clearance and general conveniance as you can see here at 1:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT8p0XWzEIc

plus I cant help but think that they look like they would cut you in a crash hanging out like that and I would shoot for the windshield trim of one of the convertibles rather than the 1978 car if I was redoing one for that reason.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

Kavinsky is correct.  Carl Roberts got both of the Daytonas in partial payment for building the stunt Testarossa.  The only one for which he got a title was the camera car.  He planned to use the stunt car to build the stunt Testarossa.  He tore it apart but could not get the correct profile due to the front engine chassis of the Daytona.  So, he gave up on it and bought a Pantera and built the stunt Testarossa using the Pantera chassis.  He did some upgrading of the camera car and was using it as an advertisement for cars that he was planning to build and sell.  (Carl had promised to build a car for a guy from South Carolina but never got it finished, so the guy convinced him to sell him the camera car, which he did.  That guy sold it to another fellow after about 6 months, who sold it to me after about another 6 months - and I still have the car with lots of documentation as Kavinsky said.)

Carl was asked to supply 2 Daytonas for the "Speed Trap" movie.  He did that but did not use either of the Miami Vice cars.  The Volo car is one of the cars that he sent to CA for the movie.  I have inspected that car.  It has a VIN that is not one of those used in Miami Vice and has very little similarity to the Miami Vice Daytonas.  Carl Roberts said that he got the chassis for the Volo car from a friend of his.  I have seen the documentation for the Volo car and it is one of the two sent to CA for the "Speed Trap" movie (but not a Miami Vice car) - per the shipping report showing the VIN numbers for the cars shipped and the VIN on the car. 

As Kavinsky said the stunt Daytona was never reassembled.  So, the chance of the car on the Car Chasers show being the stunt car is extremely low.  All of this comes from talks that JurrasicNarc and I had with Carl Roberts and also the discussion that I had with Tom McBurnie in the mid-90s.  We visited Carl in Tennessee and I visited Tom in CA.

While visiting Tom he gave me a stack of paperwork which was the correspondence between Universal's lawyers and Al Mardikian when Universal purchased the 2 cars.  They were originally leased for the series, but when Mardikian got thrown in Jail due to grey market conversion issues, Universal decided they needed to buy the cars since they were central to the Miami Vice series.  The titles had been lost by the State of CA after they were seized from Mardikian, so new titles needed to be issued.  But CA would only re-issue the titles after an inspection.  Since the cars were being used in the filming of the series in FL, they could not be sent back to CA.  So, finally, CA agreed that if Universal had FL authorities do the inspection, they would accept them.  I have all of the paperwork showing the VIN numbers as verified by FL police.  I also have a copy of the contract between Universal and Carl Roberts showing the two cars being given to him for building the stunt Testarossa.  The VIN numbers of each car are shown on the contract.

On the Car Chasers it was obvious that Tom did not think the car was car 1 when they measured the frame lengths, but then got talked into it so the car on the show could be called the Miami Vice car.  It is unlikely that Universal would have altered the right frame rail since Tom had built the body so that the wheels looked correct in the wheel wells with the two different frame rail lengths.  So, if the frame were lengthened, the wheels would not look like they fitted the wheel wells.  (Tom told me the story about how he built the body/fenders/etc based on the real Daytona that Mardikian had given him.  When he fit one side to the Corvette chassis and then tried to fit the other side using the same dimensions, he could not figure out why the wheel wells did not look right.  He finally realized that one side was one and a half inches shorter due to accident repair - so he worked around it and made the one side body/fender shorter.)

As mentioned above, we did not get to see the interior of the car to see if it has the "second" brake pedal or if the dash is correct.  I would be surprised if either was there or correct.  (The Volo car is totally incorrect in both of these areas.)

• Thanks 1

And to add to what Camera Daytona says, the part found in the trunk on the show probably was the original gauge area from the Camera Car. The Camera Car had the wooden trim, but the Stunt Car (or Car 1) had a plain 78-82 Corvette gauge area. I think, when I watched the episode, that McBurnie was just going along with the flow.

When the Camera Car was sold IT had the standard 78-82 Gauges. Carl was prone to change things around, and also the first owner after Carl Roberts had some changes made to the car. I would not be surprised to see that he sent one of the Replicars to Canada for filming SPEED ZONE with parts in the trunk.

I know from a conversation I had with Carl when the two cars surfaced in Texas that they were the SPEED ZONE cars, that Carl had owned them (and abandoned them in Texas). He tried to get me to intercede with some friends in the Texas Rangers to keep the cars from being sold. I advised him to get an attorney, since I didn't want to end up in a Texas jail myself. There was also no question about the identity of the cars. Neither one was ever used on the set of MIAMI VICE.

IF you look at the pictures of the interior on this site, you can see the evidence of the interior differences in the Camera Car and the Stunt Car.

Edited by jurassic narc
  • Thanks 1

Maybe that's why he's so keen on saying he has both the vice cars, despite all the evidence to the contrary. he thinks purely by assosication since they both came from Carl Roberts for that dreadfull film that they MUST be the vice cars, as no on would scrap one.

and its funny the only reason why that film is even still noteworthy is the countach opening, everything else you could junk and call it a day. Dreadfull thing, that and the Soup Nazi from Scienfield is driving around with some sort of lookalike to Tackleberry from the Police Accademy films in it.

and I think there was only one funny scene where they park on a rig to get away from the cops and the cop follows him onto the car carrier and non chalantly says Licence and Registration please, right as they start to gloat about it when they thought they ditched him.

Edited by Kavinsky

I am angry beyond belief at this, mostly because I believed this yutz back in 2006 when he had his miraculous barn find of the car from the show.  Then I get on here and learn he's full of BS, and now he's basically pulling the same stunt twice.  I dropped cable and only have Netflix and Hulu so I'm pretty aggravated I can't watch the show, but I watched the 8 minute teaser and I SWEAR I've seen the one he's claiming he's had for a long time on sale online recently.  Mostly because of the awful wheels it has...I didn't save any pics but I'm looking to see if I can find some.  I'd bet my retirement savings he's recently acquired this car from someone with zero claim to the show and is, as I said, pulling this same crap twice and looking to "authenticate" via bullying McBurnie on the show and posting on facebook that he hopes to get Don behind the wheel for a pic.  Furious at all the lies between this yahoo and Volo...they seem to all be stemming from him.

Side note, the only other Daytona replica I've ever seen was also in Dallas (where I am), badly faded sitting on the lot of a wedding venue that no longer exists.  It was red and I talked to the owner and got a whole 'nother story about how it was the one from the show, it was only used in the pilot, he bought it for $30K at a charity auction in the 90s, yada yada yada.  I do have pics of that car and his story didn't hold water either...interior was an early McBurnie like mine but not at all like the show.  Seems like EVERY replica was "the" one from the show, and it's getting old...

Edited by Brian W
  • Like 1

"I've had this car 'a while'".  Everything is wrong about the car (seats, wheels, door handles, etc), and if this joker sold the one to Volo claiming it was from the show then he knows exactly what it's worth...hasn't that been for sale for $140K for several years now?  No one with a brain will pay that much without documentation, but if he can repeat his stunt and get it "verified" on TV then he stands to sell it for more than that (to some joker with half a brain).  Still frustrated and angry that he's getting all this publicity for being a fraud.  Why'd he change his last name, btw?  Isn't that suspicious?  Is this our friend Arturo?  HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Like 1

if he pulls that crap with trying to get Don behind the wheel of the car and succeeds Camera's going to have to get don behind the wheel of the real one.

plus well the speedo on the camera car is unique and probably hasnt been replicated anywhere else and never will be really, and if don doesnt remember the ridiculous figure on it I'd be surprised.

I just watched the show...it'd be one thing if Miami Vice was "so important to his childhood" he wanted to restore the car for himself, but at the end of the show he obviously has stars in his eyes dreaming of Don in the car, Tom there, and it selling for tons of money.  So why didn't all this happen his first go round with the Volo car?  I mean, according to him it was just as authentic, right?

I'm sure Tom doesn't remember after all the years, he declared it was his first car by looking at a gauge cluster and determining that it was, in fact, an early car because of the steel doors.  That's all there was to go on.  I'm sure 30 years does nothing to the memories, as much as I love the guy and what he did the documented history you guys on this site have provided is much more likely the real story.  Jeez, Jeff whateverhislastnameis didn't even say how he acquired the car, where it came from, ANY paperwork he had, nada...

• Like 1

yeah and ontop of that it would be far easier to track down the other Testarossa than one of the black daytona's, as both are accounted for and documented,  and what's not to say he takes one of his cars to one of the miami vice meets, that one in france and just has some of the actors sign it rather than lying about one of its origins.

I mean that would be just as good as saying it was on the show if it means that much to him, so once again theres a right way and a wrong way to honor something that he cares about, and in this case the only obivious thing he cares about is publicity and money.

and with all of the cars on the show, why hasnt anyone tracked down the Caddies? they were on ALL 5 seasons for god sakes. plus unlike Don PMT is openly happy to converse with fans over the show and would probably get a kick from seeing his old car again.

also just because its one of the early ones doesnt mean its a markadian one, of which the vice cars were, they werent Mcburnies initally.

so that in of itself is a flag to say its one of his early ones. for all we know its car 6 of the run, heh short version stinger is a 100% right.

Edited by Kavinsky

both cars were given to carl in return for the detomaso pantera replica in S3 and probably his continued work on the cars and as the story goes Car 1 was stripped to bare chasis to attempt to rig it up as a testarossa replica, but given the midengined construction it failed and was left bare.

the engine's location is unknown, but supposedly he still has the chasis of car 1, the Car in question at volo was a car that he made up for the awful film Speed zone in 1989, that was raised for ground clerance and damaged accordingly as they drive it down a flight of stairs in its first apperance.

and for all I know that caused the supposed frame damage on a different car and that wrongly gives them a right to claim it is car 1,

and with the body, if the damage is so significiant could have been scrapped for the parts that were intact, like the door maybe, or the hood.

but the entire frame of the body would have had to been scrapped is my guess, with maybe the 4 opening parts being reused but other than that chances are the volo car is an entirely new chasis and body car.

and frankly the only part that could be from the vice car on that one are the rare Zenith wire wheel caps made of steel, the amber ones that are exceptionally rare, as the rims could have been reused from it on another car without issue.

that and maybe the steering wheel, and the mirrors, other than bare easy to change parts I think whole heartedly given the age of the car the entire thing was scrapped and car 1 in its entirety outside of the chasis is dust.

I agree on this and knew most of this, and we know from CameraDaytona that the Volo car is confirmed as one of the Speed Zone cars based on VIN number. Interestingly, that car was provided by this Allen (Car Chaser) guy who provided Volo with the shorter right side stats and "provenance" that it was the stunt car, and yet he is again making the same claim with another car on the Car Chaser show. And we know there are NOT 2 stunt cars so how does Allen explain that?  

Does seem likely that little would remain of the stunt car since it was disassembled. I am thinking that Allen may have snapped up the other Speed Zone car for his most recent show.

Car 1 itself was a 1976 car of unknown original color or interior color, chances are it had the typical beige interior of the cars used for the first run, outside of maybe one that had a black interior with car 2, as on that one it appeared the seats were tan while the interior was mostly black

gallery_471_5_21898.jpg

and the car was changed over to red for the rebodying.

also of note with car 2 here, I cant quite see the door handles, which brings into question which car this is, as supposedly at first they tried to use the stock corvette door handles but it didnt work out and they switched to the alfa ones

although when that happened in the time line is unknown, as it defintely happened with Cars 3 and 4

Is the above quad 4 photo of Car 1, or some other car? Not sure also where you are referring to Car 2...pls explain.

gallery_471_5_212187.jpg

car 3

This is definitely Car 3 above?

and car 4, first photo

gallery_471_5_155284.jpg

The first photo in this group (side view) is Car 4 you are saying and yet in the Car Chaser show when McBurnie opened his scrap book for Car1, this appeared to be the photo he was showing as one of the Stunt Car.

and car 1 could have been converted to this latter or for the show. during its refit to try and make it look like car 4, which sadly included scrapping the seats of Car 4 for the stock 78 ones, a BIG Mistake in my eyes.

and with the interior of the cars, Car 1 seems to have been an attempt to maybe modernize it with the insturment binacle of a 1978 car and possibly the dash itself

gallery_471_5_51649.jpg

I know this is car 1 (Stunt Car) because of the black steering column.

Sorry on the other comments as I couldn't quite follow, but I do appreciate you taking the time to post this info.  Thanks .

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Kavinsky is correct.  Carl Roberts got both of the Daytonas in partial payment for building the stunt Testarossa.  The only one for which he got a title was the camera car.  He planned to use the stunt car to build the stunt Testarossa.  He tore it apart but could not get the correct profile due to the front engine chassis of the Daytona.  So, he gave up on it and bought a Pantera and built the stunt Testarossa using the Pantera chassis.  He did some upgrading of the camera car and was using it as an advertisement for cars that he was planning to build and sell.  (Carl had promised to build a car for a guy from South Carolina but never got it finished, so the guy convinced him to sell him the camera car, which he did.  That guy sold it to another fellow after about 6 months, who sold it to me after about another 6 months - and I still have the car with lots of documentation as Kavinsky said.)

Thanks for clarifying.

Carl was asked to supply 2 Daytonas for the "Speed Trap" movie.  He did that but did not use either of the Miami Vice cars.  The Volo car is one of the cars that he sent to CA for the movie.  I have inspected that car.  It has a VIN that is not one of those used in Miami Vice and has very little similarity to the Miami Vice Daytonas.  Carl Roberts said that he got the chassis for the Volo car from a friend of his.  I have seen the documentation for the Volo car and it is one of the two sent to CA for the "Speed Trap" movie (but not a Miami Vice car) - per the shipping report showing the VIN numbers for the cars shipped and the VIN on the car. 

How or where were you able to obtain shipping info with VIN #s for shipping the Speed Trap cars? If the VIN number for the Allen (Car Chaser guy) car becomes known, it may be useful to compare it to the records of the other Speed Zone car, as that is what I'm thinking Allen may have.

As Kavinsky said the stunt Daytona was never reassembled.  So, the chance of the car on the Car Chasers show being the stunt car is extremely low.  All of this comes from talks that JurrasicNarc and I had with Carl Roberts and also the discussion that I had with Tom McBurnie in the mid-90s.  We visited Carl in Tennessee and I visited Tom in CA.

While visiting Tom he gave me a stack of paperwork which was the correspondence between Universal's lawyers and Al Mardikian when Universal purchased the 2 cars.  They were originally leased for the series, but when Mardikian got thrown in Jail due to grey market conversion issues, Universal decided they needed to buy the cars since they were central to the Miami Vice series.  The titles had been lost by the State of CA after they were seized from Mardikian, so new titles needed to be issued.  But CA would only re-issue the titles after an inspection.  Since the cars were being used in the filming of the series in FL, they could not be sent back to CA.  So, finally, CA agreed that if Universal had FL authorities do the inspection, they would accept them.  I have all of the paperwork showing the VIN numbers as verified by FL police.  I also have a copy of the contract between Universal and Carl Roberts showing the two cars being given to him for building the stunt Testarossa.  The VIN numbers of each car are shown on the contract.

On the stunt car frame, did Carl ever give you any idea what he may have done with its frame or chassis? If he had built several Daytonas wouldn't it be likely that he would use that frame rather than trying to obtain another donor somewhere? Just having trouble thinking he scrapped it.

Thanks for the info on your meet with MCB, and now I know where you obtained your docs substantiating the VIN numbers of the 2 Vice cars. So if a VIN number surfaces from Allen or another claimant, you could also verify authenticity against your docs.

Think someone ought to ask Allen to provide the VIN number of his latest Car 1 claim for exactly that type of verification.

On the Car Chasers it was obvious that Tom did not think the car was car 1 when they measured the frame lengths, but then got talked into it so the car on the show could be called the Miami Vice car.  It is unlikely that Universal would have altered the right frame rail since Tom had built the body so that the wheels looked correct in the wheel wells with the two different frame rail lengths.  So, if the frame were lengthened, the wheels would not look like they fitted the wheel wells.  (Tom told me the story about how he built the body/fenders/etc based on the real Daytona that Mardikian had given him.  When he fit one side to the Corvette chassis and then tried to fit the other side using the same dimensions, he could not figure out why the wheel wells did not look right.  He finally realized that one side was one and a half inches shorter due to accident repair - so he worked around it and made the one side body/fender shorter.)

As mentioned above, we did not get to see the interior of the car to see if it has the "second" brake pedal or if the dash is correct.  I would be surprised if either was there or correct.  (The Volo car is totally incorrect in both of these areas.)

Your reaction to MCB's change of heart on the car was similar to mine, though I wondered if it could have been because of bad blood between him and Roberts as well. It just didn't make sense to me either that a 1 inch discrepancy could be explained away with a body that was designed for a shorter frame rail.

As to the Allen car, he needs to be asked to provide interior shots of the floor and dash areas, as well as VIN number if anyone expects to believe his story about his car.

Thanks again for the history and comments, CameraDaytona. You guys are clearly the experts on the Show Cars and we're glad you can clear up all the hype and misinformation for all of us.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

And to add to what Camera Daytona says, the part found in the trunk on the show probably was the original gauge area from the Camera Car. The Camera Car had the wooden trim, but the Stunt Car (or Car 1) had a plain 78-82 Corvette gauge area. I think, when I watched the episode, that McBurnie was just going along with the flow.

When the Camera Car was sold IT had the standard 78-82 Gauges. Carl was prone to change things around, and also the first owner after Carl Roberts had some changes made to the car. I would not be surprised to see that he sent one of the Replicars to Canada for filming SPEED ZONE with parts in the trunk.

I know...I had the same reaction when he pulled out that dash remnant. It could have come from anywhere or any older car. That it was in the trunk of the Allen car proved nothing.

I hear you also on Carl storing the parts. It occurred to me that it could have been from Carl's shop when Allen visited him as well.

I know from a conversation I had with Carl when the two cars surfaced in Texas that they were the SPEED ZONE cars, that Carl had owned them (and abandoned them in Texas). He tried to get me to intercede with some friends in the Texas Rangers to keep the cars from being sold. I advised him to get an attorney, since I didn't want to end up in a Texas jail myself. There was also no question about the identity of the cars. Neither one was ever used on the set of MIAMI VICE.

IF you look at the pictures of the interior on this site, you can see the evidence of the interior differences in the Camera Car and the Stunt Car.

That is interesting about the 2 cars in Texas from Speed Zone. So at one time Carl wanted them back but was unable to reacquire them after the movie? I am thinking that this Allen guy obtained both Speed Zone cars, and he sold one to Volo with bad provenance as the Stunt Car  and now is trying to claim the other one the second Stunt Car for his own resale purposes. Will be interesting if any VIN numbers surface on it.

On the stunt car differences, I am not up on all of them other than the steering column, the dash shape over the speedo, and the windshield outside trim.

Thanks Jurassicnarc for your information on these cars. Glad you guys are here to set the record straight on the Show Cars.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

All reality shows are fake. It doesn't have to be the actual car, as long as it's a McBernie. It's all for good TV.

Unless our "pal" sold him one and claimed its a McBernie used on the show. :)

Jokes aside, I hope I can find this online someday so I can watch it.

Wasn't this the same show who found Switek's T-bird?

The paperwork is still pending on that one ;)

Sorry on the other comments as I couldn't quite follow, but I do appreciate you taking the time to post this info.  Thanks

With the Markadian 350 GTS, that is car 2, as its the first one using a latter C3, I think one of the 1980 to 1982 ones, and the first two cars didnt have the alfa door handles, that was first put on Car 3, as Jurrasic mentioned that the cars apparently had problems with the Corvette ones according to a book he was recently reading.

and I just started to piece it together that it would be a feature of the early ones, or atleast I beleive it is a feature of them in these photos.

and Jurrasic Confirmed that the red one is car 3, the one with the alfa door handles as it was being made, plus I believe that car 1 and 2 had flat, square grills on them

$T2eC16V,!yUFIb7Qvu%281BSHb%29wZD!!~~60_

and for Car 3 and 4 it was changed to the sloping one

gallery_471_5_212187.jpg

as it probably followed my idea about them modernizing the design, with the 1977 flares and the Grill of the Ferrari that followed the daytona, the 365 BB

and I must wonder if that is where the idea for the door handles also came from, as the 2 + 2 Version of the daytona had those alfa door handles on it, and that was a latter model one as well

1024px-1972_Ferrari_365GTC4_red.jpg

and if that first photo, the one that we both confirmed is of car 4 on here awhile back is what he said the stunt car was he is BLOODY lying, the one below here

gallery_471_5_155284.jpg

that is complete with the Tail pipes of car 4 being in their original position, something I noticed in the pilot at 1:06 here

with the second bit there I was talking about the insturment panel of the 1976 car as originally it would have looked like this:

7c_3.jpg

Not this

gallery_471_5_51649.jpg

which IS of car 1 as in this photo it features the 1978 insturment dash box, and I was wondering if the rest of it had been converted over, as up until 1978, the Corvette C3 didnt have a glove box, it had a leather pocket on it.

and we cant quite see if the rest of the dash looks like this

b97d_3.jpg

instead of this

7c_3.jpg

as the door panels of car 1 appeared to still be the stock 1976 units, just covered with horizontal leather and an arm rest built around the door latch, but the door latch remained nontheless at 22:26, if you look close you can see the chrome door handle, its at the same position as it is in the above photo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqj_75dwVgE#t=1346

also note the grill at 22:13, as I thought something seemed different about the car in yankee dollar when it pulled up, which turned out to be car 1, as the nose seemed different somehow.

Also with the 1 inch discrepancy of the speed zone cars, they drove the damn thing down a flight of stairs in the movie, here see for yourself at 23:51

and the other details about the car at 25:54, Carl Roberts windshield trim, without the chrome painted gloss, the Vilatoni Mirrors off of the countach, the turbos I think they were called that are in the WRONG place, ugly ass steering wheel, different door handles, plus the inner door handles are that of a 1978 car in black, not the ones on Car 1 in the show

and about the only thing that looks vice like are the seats with the stripe on the back,

33:47 car again, 34:27, 34:53 the only real good look at the dash pad, somewhat vice like

43:13, 43:38, Rowley like front grill on it

1:02 56, 1:03:01 Dash again

1:10:03, 1:10:50, the tail pipes of the volo car to a tee, and also probably why the car looks wrong, they had to raise it for the dirt road action.

1:15:51, something about the right side looks out of wack, like it had a minor accident

1:20:55, the second time it had the top down, and its its last apperance

so it had maybe 5 minutes of screen time, if that and damn it I miss John Candy.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 11 months later...

We know that there were two Daytona replicas used in the Miami Vice series.  The cars used in the pilot movie were a real Daytona in a couple scenes which was owned by a friend of Michael Mann and the Daytona replica (Tom McBurnie's car #4) that is owned by me (also referred to as the camera car).  I have owned it since 1988.  After the pilot movie and the series being accepted by NBC, Universal Studios leased a second replica from Al Mardikian (Tom McBurnie's car #1).  The second car, also referred to as the stunt car, is owned by the Volo Museum.  It was verified earlier this year by uncovering the original serial number.

After being used in the MV series, car #1 was sent to California along with another replica to be used in the movie Speed Zone (shown above in Kavinsky's post).  After the movie, the cars ended up in Lubbock, TX.  The #1 car was sold to the Volo Museum and it is likely that the car that the "Car Chasers" have is the second car used in the Speed Zone movie.  But, it was never used in the Miami Vice series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 10:17 AM, jurassic narc said:

JN, or @Kavinsky   do either of you have photos showing the interior differences between Car1 and Car4 you could post?  

If memory serves, Car1 had a black steering column whereas Car4 was tan, Car1 had a larger dash cover front edge over the speedo than that of Car4, and I think the windshield outside trim was chrome on Car1 vs black on Car4. Also looks like a large square Speedo/Tach instrument screen on Car1 vs the smaller rounded cutout on Car 4.      (Both should have the stunt brake pedal seen on the lower left underside dash.) 

Thanks   S-B 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

This brings back memories of my long and winding road looking for an original Bandit TA and all the craziness that surrounded that search. Maybe I will type it up this week.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 4:03 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

JN, or @Kavinsky   do either of you have photos showing the interior differences between Car1 and Car4 you could post?  

If memory serves, Car1 had a black steering column whereas Car4 was tan, Car1 had a larger dash cover front edge over the speedo than that of Car4, and I think the windshield outside trim was chrome on Car1 vs black on Car4. Also looks like a large square Speedo/Tach instrument screen on Car1 vs the smaller rounded cutout on Car 4.      (Both should have the stunt brake pedal seen on the lower left underside dash.) 

Thanks   S-B 

I do I just dont know how to post most of them, as something got changed on here awhile ago, it looks like attachments and the gallery got separated, and I can only save my photos in the attachments to my computer, not post them, so that mangles it abit as all of the photos are in there,  I did manage to find these of car 4 in my gallery though

conv_7541.jpg

conv_4581.jpg

and car 1 kinda rarely had close ups of it, hell it seems like when they were doing the shooting of the first two episodes of season 3 the thing was already gone, so finding them outside of the exterior shots is abit tricky to say the least, like the only real times it shows up in season 2 are when its left at the auction yard with the top down, only for it to go back to car 4 when they show the cats in it, and then go back to it when they leave with it at the end and when Sonny Pulls up to that drug dealing brothers place after the girl OD's after getting off the plane.

and a few side shots of it in Venice Italy, where you can see the horizontal lines of the door panel, as I think they may have redone the dash pad for season 2 to remove the tacks and clean it up abit in addition to the chrome delete on the windshield, hell the only times I really picked up on it being used were from the doors and the front, as its got a flat grill vs the arched one that oxidized abit on car 4, and the light really catches on that oxidized grill abit in S2, so its easy to pick up on, while with S1 thanks to the plexyglass being gone it blent in better.

hell the best shots of it were in S1 when things were kinda on the rough so they just went with what they had.

and both had the same instrument cluster, its just car 4's had the leather wrapped around the edges to better blend it shape, after all car 1 was a prototype, you dont want to make it harder to take apart given how much screwing around your going to be doing to make it work, and the face of the instruments was customized so it was probably a work in progress hence the lack of leather around it, so it makes sense that things would be rougher and probably easier to take apart, hell in the glades episode when they did the close up of the dash, as its mostly car 1 in that episode save for the drive down scene, it looked like the top of the dash pad was tacked in vs the molded in and tucked look of the dash on car 4.

which didnt show up even in the side shots that I KNOW were car 1 in Venice Italy, or even in the close up of it of them waiting for that guy who stole the boat.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

I do I just dont know how to post most of them, as something got changed on here awhile ago, it looks like attachments and the gallery got separated, and I can only save my photos in the attachments to my computer, not post them, so that mangles it abit as all of the photos are in there,  I did manage to find these of car 4 in my gallery though

At the bottom of a new post there's a gray area that says "Drag files here to attach" so all you need to do from your computer is drag your photos into that area and they will upload. 

I look forward to any comparison photos you can upload.   Gd to see you posting again, Kavinsky. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks and alright these are most the shots of car 1 from season 2 that I can think of, the main things that I can note are the dash is not as curved as it is on Car 4, its a little flatter but I think its been redone to remove the pins it had in Season 1 seen here which makes sense, just based on continiunty issues between the two cars, as theirs a pin right above the steering wheel, and then it switches to car 4 when they pull it, probably as Car 1 at 1:51 had the camera's, car 4 the long shot car (also while ironically being shot in the same place where he would meet the guy who would blow up the car as they pull in, in season 3)

and the funny thing is theirs actually like a gash or a scratch on the drivers side door panel from something, namely visible in Sons and Lovers, almost looks like someone gashed it with screw or something, bottom shot, focus around the arm holding the wheel, which is kinda funny as it looks like its not there in the season 1 shot, also the leather looks a little looser, main thing is if it has a line like it does, its car 1, smooth with some stitch lines its car 4

vlcsnap-2015-04-30-21h39m17s249.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-04-30-21h39m29s116.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-12-01h01m15s243.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-12-01h02m47s132.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-12-01h03m31s59.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-05-15-00h51m17s69.jpg

Whatever Works Interior back up car 1.jpg

sons and lovers 3.jpg

car 1 dash.jpg

car 1 inside.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky