Miami Vice Firearms Database

Yann529

• 1 year later...

Thanks for sharing this Yann529 - excellent database. 

I am amused that bad guys, many of them Colombian, shoot 1911's in the show. 

I myself have owned a 1911 and it is by far my favorite pistol of all. Old Ugly, to this day 104 years after it went into action, is still one of the very best weapons available. Great sport at the shooting range, handy around the home for one of those "you never know", and if someone enjoys history, tradition, craftsmanship, and a bit of metallurgy plus physics, let me tell you it is a source of joy to own.  

And pretty as can be! 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2016 at 9:39 AM, Mister Roman said:

Thanks for sharing this Yann529 - excellent database. 

I am amused that bad guys, many of them Colombian, shoot 1911's in the show. 

I myself have owned a 1911 and it is by far my favorite pistol of all. Old Ugly, to this day 104 years after it went into action, is still one of the very best weapons available. Great sport at the shooting range, handy around the home for one of those "you never know", and if someone enjoys history, tradition, craftsmanship, and a bit of metallurgy plus physics, let me tell you it is a source of joy to own.  

And pretty as can be! 

Yeah their was alot of clones of those, a company called Sistema made a 1911 that I think was made with the colt machinery further down south, in Columbia I think, so its not that far out of the realm of possibility that they would carry those. plus the patent for it had just run out in the 1980's and early 1990's I think, that and llama made alot of clones of those too I think.

and its probably one of the key reasons why colt as we know it is no longer really with us. as they had the market and then they lost it, amongst other things.

Edited by Kavinsky

2 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

Yeah their was alot of clones of those, a company called Sistema made a 1911 that I think was made with the colt machinery further down south, in Columbia I think, so its not that far out of the realm of possibility that they would carry those. plus the patent for it had just run out in the 1980's and early 1990's I think, that and llama made alot of clones of those too I think.

and its probably one of the key reasons why colt as we know it is no longer really with us. as they had the market and then they lost it, amongst other things.

Kavinsky, 

I have not heard of Sistema. Locally, the one weapons manufacturer I know of is Indumil, State owned. Indumil manufactures 3 Llama revolver designs licensed to it, those in turn are based on the S&W Model 10.

It sounds like you are referring to IMBEL from Brazil, their 1911's I have read and heard nothing but good things about, Colt licensed indeed. Llama's 1911's I have not had the pleasure of trying out. 

Now Colt 1911's I have owned, 1 series 70 long ago. I understand they are still producing 1911's and good ones at that with the custom barrels that do feed hollow points reliably. Can't say from actual experience I am afraid, not yet anyway :) 

I hear what you are saying about Colt however. I still cannot believe and understand Colt ceasing production of the Python revolvers. Those, I love as well, future topic I believe. 

As for the 1911A1's in show I have referred to, seems like many other villains use them as well. I would think it has everything to do with its visual outline which is distinctive, and lends uniformity to the bad guys firing/being shot down. 

Colombia's Military is one of many users of the 1911, though it is classified as a Military weapon, thus it requires a special permit, too bad for now. 

I enjoyed 1911 models from several manufacturers at the shooting range growing up, had an Uncle was a firearms collector. One thing I know about the weapon is, up until comparatively recently, there were only a handful of manufacturers making good ones. 

Nowadays, look at the Sig Sauer ones: Just Right out of the box, amazing. 

On 2/25/2016 at 6:52 PM, Mister Roman said:

Kavinsky, 

I have not heard of Sistema. Locally, the one weapons manufacturer I know of is Indumil, State owned. Indumil manufactures 3 Llama revolver designs licensed to it, those in turn are based on the S&W Model 10.

It sounds like you are referring to IMBEL from Brazil, their 1911's I have read and heard nothing but good things about, Colt licensed indeed. Llama's 1911's I have not had the pleasure of trying out. 

Now Colt 1911's I have owned, 1 series 70 long ago. I understand they are still producing 1911's and good ones at that with the custom barrels that do feed hollow points reliably. Can't say from actual experience I am afraid, not yet anyway :) 

I hear what you are saying about Colt however. I still cannot believe and understand Colt ceasing production of the Python revolvers. Those, I love as well, future topic I believe. 

As for the 1911A1's in show I have referred to, seems like many other villains use them as well. I would think it has everything to do with its visual outline which is distinctive, and lends uniformity to the bad guys firing/being shot down. 

Colombia's Military is one of many users of the 1911, though it is classified as a Military weapon, thus it requires a special permit, too bad for now. 

I enjoyed 1911 models from several manufacturers at the shooting range growing up, had an Uncle was a firearms collector. One thing I know about the weapon is, up until comparatively recently, there were only a handful of manufacturers making good ones. 

Nowadays, look at the Sig Sauer ones: Just Right out of the box, amazing. 

Its made out of Argentia actually, apparently their on par machining wise with the colts, I think the full name is something like Colt Sistema or something although like any and all old things some are better than others, and I think colt sent them the machining themselves, although weirdly I had this issue with the lockback thing from Willson combat mags actually on a genuine one I think.

and with another make too, and I really must write down order in Chip Mccormac mags in on my giant list of things to do (you guys wonder why I disappeared for awhile, I went to write a list of things I needed to do, thought it'd be 4, turned out it was 32!)

and as to how I know of this, it was something a family member was looking for and interested in, and I saw one for 600 I think.

and with the python, well with durability you can either have a really light trigger from the light inertia of the materials inside, or a really heavy one with a heavy duty internals that will last a long time. and Pythons well as time went on got less and less durable, a master gunsmith I go to in particular says they cant even handle .38 special

while the turn of the century ones were much more durable and had that same great colt trigger, like the Colt Army Special, one of the first guns made for .38 special which was considered a high power cartridge back then, and a 100 years latter and after shooting one at the range, I'm smitten with it, so I would say go for a colt trooper, police special, Army Special or the Colt detective special mark 3, which has the diamondback action in it and is utterly amazing at about 1/4th to 1/5th or rather 1/6th the cost of a 4G python

and yes I saw one with that price tag on it at a show about a month ago! like I saw it from 60 feet away, betcha its like 4 G now from 1.7 and I was right on.

and as to why I know this I asked this guy, Shep1957

https://www.youtube.com/user/1957Shep/videos

and another alternative to it would be a Dan Wesson V15, now back in production and made by CZ apparently, and its probably best to go new with it.

also Sig sauer wasnt infallible, a Shop owner I knew personally had the first order of those when they were new, and they had extracting issues at that point, but they did compensate him, he went from wanting to never deal with them again to loving them after they gave him a shitton of other sig sauer products on a discount lol

and even glock had their issues, its just a matter of how well the company takes care of them

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

Kavinsky

"Its made out of Argentia actually, apparently their on par machining wise with the colts, I think the full name is something like Colt Sistema or something although like any and all old things some are better than others, and I think colt sent them the machining themselves, although weirdly I had this issue with the lockback thing from Willson combat mags actually on a genuine one I think."

Now I know what you are referring to. Those were made by the Argentine government and Colt for some years, until 1966. The pistol itself was named "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927". 
Not surprised you got lockback anyway w Wilson combat mags even on a good 1911 - that's a function of several factors. I have seen 1911's work perfectly fine with stock magazines.

"and with the python, well with durability you can either have a really light trigger from the light inertia of the materials inside, or a really heavy one with a heavy duty internals that will last a long time."

In my experience, a proper trigger pull is the result of design and some tuning. I have seen cheap guns with no tuning display more than decent trigger: Norinco 213 is a great example. Based on a TT-33, which was in turn based on the FN 1903, a Browning design. The thing is made with barely adequate materials (it was $150 USD new) yet the trigger design is more than adequate, owned one for several years. 

"and Pythons well as time went on got less and less durable, a master gunsmith I go to in particular says they cant even handle .38 special"

That's unbelievable.

"so I would say go for a colt trooper, police special, Army Special or the Colt detective special mark 3, which has the diamondback action in it and is utterly amazing at about 1/4th to 1/5th or rather 1/6th the cost of a 4G python"

I am familiar with those Colt models, as in I owned a Police Positive for some time, fired a Chief's special I don't know how many 1,000's of times probably at the range, growing up. Fired a trooper a few times even now that I recall. Those are nice, however, there is too big a difference between the Python design and all other revolvers I have ever fired, which is quite a few. 

I get your point about they are overpriced, also not saying those are not excellent weapons you listed, however there is no really comparing a Python. I could be blindfolded, wearing earplugs, someone places one of those in my hand I can tell, the weight is too perfect, the balance, the everything, and if that does not do it, cocking it back to single action will: when wearing earplugs I can hear some very fine and minor clicks in it while manually cocking it to single action. No other weapon does that. And I am a pistol guy by the way, I am not as good with revolvers never have been, except for when shooting a Python, whether with a 3 inch or 6 inch barrel, stock grips or Pachmayr, range ammo or handloaded (hot) ammo, at 10 yards or even 20 yards, age 14 or 19, it's bullseyes time. 

Point is, I personally know why the design has been so highly regarded. 

As for Sig Sauer, I am not surprised, though I did not refer to them as infallible. Though from what I read and gather, those an owner can leave as is, enough out of the box, no need for any customization work, even light. 

Glock problems I am not surprised by either, come think of it, been in the sport for too many years.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2016 at 1:02 AM, Mister Roman said:

Kavinsky

"Its made out of Argentia actually, apparently their on par machining wise with the colts, I think the full name is something like Colt Sistema or something although like any and all old things some are better than others, and I think colt sent them the machining themselves, although weirdly I had this issue with the lockback thing from Willson combat mags actually on a genuine one I think."

Now I know what you are referring to. Those were made by the Argentine government and Colt for some years, until 1966. The pistol itself was named "Sistema Colt Modelo 1927". 
Not surprised you got lockback anyway w Wilson combat mags even on a good 1911 - that's a function of several factors. I have seen 1911's work perfectly fine with stock magazines.

"and with the python, well with durability you can either have a really light trigger from the light inertia of the materials inside, or a really heavy one with a heavy duty internals that will last a long time."

In my experience, a proper trigger pull is the result of design and some tuning. I have seen cheap guns with no tuning display more than decent trigger: Norinco 213 is a great example. Based on a TT-33, which was in turn based on the FN 1903, a Browning design. The thing is made with barely adequate materials (it was $150 USD new) yet the trigger design is more than adequate, owned one for several years. 

"and Pythons well as time went on got less and less durable, a master gunsmith I go to in particular says they cant even handle .38 special"

That's unbelievable.

"so I would say go for a colt trooper, police special, Army Special or the Colt detective special mark 3, which has the diamondback action in it and is utterly amazing at about 1/4th to 1/5th or rather 1/6th the cost of a 4G python"

I am familiar with those Colt models, as in I owned a Police Positive for some time, fired a Chief's special I don't know how many 1,000's of times probably at the range, growing up. Fired a trooper a few times even now that I recall. Those are nice, however, there is too big a difference between the Python design and all other revolvers I have ever fired, which is quite a few. 

I get your point about they are overpriced, also not saying those are not excellent weapons you listed, however there is no really comparing a Python. I could be blindfolded, wearing earplugs, someone places one of those in my hand I can tell, the weight is too perfect, the balance, the everything, and if that does not do it, cocking it back to single action will: when wearing earplugs I can hear some very fine and minor clicks in it while manually cocking it to single action. No other weapon does that. And I am a pistol guy by the way, I am not as good with revolvers never have been, except for when shooting a Python, whether with a 3 inch or 6 inch barrel, stock grips or Pachmayr, range ammo or handloaded (hot) ammo, at 10 yards or even 20 yards, age 14 or 19, it's bullseyes time. 

Point is, I personally know why the design has been so highly regarded. 

As for Sig Sauer, I am not surprised, though I did not refer to them as infallible. Though from what I read and gather, those an owner can leave as is, enough out of the box, no need for any customization work, even light. 

Glock problems I am not surprised by either, come think of it, been in the sport for too many years.

Yeah I didnt bother to try the normal mag that came with the series 80 on that and the Kimber gold match actually, although my god just looking at the things they seem like cheap crap boxes compared to the Wilsons lol although the damn sight pin for the elliason rear sight keeps coming out under recoil with the colt!

Hmm with the trigger tuning that kind of reminds me about what I heard about some watch made by them, the Chinese, I think a Seagull Chronograph,  Seagull 1963 42mm apparently and the workings of it are quite amazing for the price range, and that was coming from some top range watch makers, but the way it was used and explained to me was that basically Colt back in its early days was all about durability, while smith and wesson back in the 1900's was actually the less durable of the two while trying to go more for finesse, as it was noted that when Elmer Keith was hotrodding their old turn of the century guns in the 1950's to make the 44 magnum they were seriously worried about them breaking up, like they didnt even think it was possible with their old products

and I also remember reading that the colt 1917 was something like two to three ounces heavier than the smith and wesson during war time production, and some people really liked that and considered it a negative against the colt, and that seemed to reverse around 1940 on up.

and ah with the python I'm kind of in the dark about that, as I've always dreamed of having one, but the price keeps jumping and jumping and with the way you describe it, it sounds abit like the kind of thing I noted about a Ruger Blackhawk Pre Transfer bar vs a new ruger vaquero recently

where their was no polishing at all with the thing, everything felt rough and unfinished and utter shit from this brand new ruger, like it sounded like nails on a chalkboard when I tired the ejector rod

while the blackhawk was smooth precise and had this fine watch like quality to it, with the same noticeable clicks to it and is it any wonder that I hate ruger if this is the shit their selling for top dollar brand new. I mean it was the kind of thing that if eastwood picked it up in the old west, he'd promptly drop it in a chamber pot, it was that bad. which means I should start looking for the man with no names gun from beretta and not them. apparently the stampede is really something else, like its everything that should have been

and personally I noted that with smith and wesson around 1980 things changed for the worse with their revolvers, they deleted two key features, the pinned barrel and the recessed chambers on any of the non J framed guns and started crushfitting barrels and it caused numerious issues

as theirs a video of a gun with a Model 29 - 3, the first one made in 1981 without it and the barrel literally shifted on him at a 90 degree angle with magnum loads, the 686 Jams with magnum ammo as they failed to set up the gap correctly when it first came out, and model 19's started cracking up under magnum pressures, while the earlier ones dont really do that, although apparently the POU was that you shoot .38 specials and use magnums when you need them as a duty gun apparently. 

so I know around that time period that chances are the same might have happened for colt, and the same rule their might apply, always go for a pre 1980 model if its a revolver.

mind you unlike the smith and wesson I have no proof of that other than the ones that go out of time seem to be newer guns, and I had actually tracked down a serial number and year list for them to find out what years they were made to see if I could avoid that.

http://guncollectorsclub.com/python_1965.htm

and yeah I gotta admit I do really like the look of the sig sauer 1911's as they have an almost a P210 quality about their looks, I just remember him being all bullshit about it and then he went quiet lol

same thing with glock, apparently the model 19 had some pretty severe problems when it was first introduced in new york, and I never liked that frigging thing, same thing with the 23, but the 17 seems to work pretty well

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 2

Kavinski.

Not surprising reading about turn of century guns and issues customizing them like that. Smokeless powder. Higher pressures. 

A brand new Ruger being that bad? I find that unbelievable. Not even Norinco weapons are that rough. 

I think it is the P210 looks like a 1911. Not the other way around.

Anyways, comments of yours such as:

"I just remember him being all bullshit about it and then he went quiet lol"

Are very telling. Looks like you copy and pasted the wrong thing. 

I came on here to share about 1911's and am now disregarding incoherent copied and pasted comments. 

No no I was just laughing at him doing that, the gunshop owner, I'll never have another sig sauer product in my shop ever again, 5 minutes latter after being given a bunch of free stuff by them in compensation wanna buy a sig sauer lol I mean I was friends with the guy and I just always remembered that

and the P210 came first in the sauer line and is still being made by Sig Sauer, now in the US because of the import problems, and I think they took some of the slide cues from it as it has a different shaped slide to it vs the M1911, atleast from the side profile.

and actually at a local shop one of the hard chromed sigs that came from the factory had rust on it, and I remember the clerk going oh yeah we gotta send that one back, something went wrong with the hard chroming process. and it wasnt a small amount.

and the P238 back when it was new was having trouble with its safety not functioning and had a recall issued about it early in its life around the same time the Sig Sauer M1911 came out.

so I just think that maybe sig sauers might have a few more problems than most people let on sometimes.

and the navy seals did just switch from a sig sauer to a glock 19, granted plastic is always cheaper than alloy, and wouldnt be as badly effected as alloy might get in salt water.

and yeah that Valquero was just a through bread disapointment, as it seems like since ruger thinks its on the top of their game they seem to be taking shortcuts with the final fitment of the parts, as it was well polished but just felt rough in its construction, like the parts were thrown together rather than fitted and polished to fit with this particular model. like it was built on an assembly machine instead of by hand with no quality control checks.

and that's not the first time that's happened to me either. airgun, made in america, turn box over, made in china. what a bunch of two timers.

Edited by Kavinsky