CarTitleLoansMiami

8 hours ago, nofretz said:

Apparently, the owner is starting a surge of really cool, overpriced MV memorabilia on eBay :) 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/182141611113?NAV=HOME

I would totally pay $38 for this :p

Seriously, though:

The time and effort taken to make a model of that quality would make it worth every penny to a serious collector. This is a super cool auction. I've certainly never seen anything like it. 

I wonder what he would do with my geniune article, and official miami vice model from 1/43 make up edolion that they only made a 150 off then, 10 G, 15? lol

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/gallery/image/3433-a4/

EM 147

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/gallery/image/3432-a5/

as I spent like 6 months searching for this thing, and I just got lucky. also crockett would never put a briefcase on his paintwork, as that's what tubbs' car was for lol

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

Well, to be fair he's not actually asking for $1,000,000, that's the buy it now option, If I understand correctly then you can bid $300,000 and if you're the only bidder then the car is yours!

It has a reserve, and it doesn't specify what the reserve is. For all we know the reserve could be close to the "buy it now" price.

If you bid $300,000 and you're the only bidder, and the reserve is $500,000 - Then the car IS NOT yours.

That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure that's similar to the way it panned out at Mecum, too.

If I had $100M, I might consider it, but if I had only like--idk--$5M, then "we are jumping to a very bee inconclusion" :) 

A million dollars is a lot of money for a car...even this one. 

Edited by nofretz

look at it this way, you give such and so people a certain amount of money to make the fastest car possible and see what they come up

as that's the way I looked at this thing

and I dont even like the thing, as its a far better way of looking at it than as a stupid status symbol, as all that kinda thinking does is show off how dumb your spending habits are really lol 

and it gives you a good idea of how they think really, as for instance  I found out that italy in particular along with english car companies had a hell of a time getting steel for all their cars in the post war time period, which is why they switched to aliumniumn and tried to make the best out of small engines, as they were taxed on certain perimiters of the engines themselves.

usually the CI of the motor, IE anything over 5 or 6 liters, about 300 to 400 CI in V8 terms.

while we reeked in the benefits of having so much steel left over from the war and having a very happy europe saying thanks alot, so consequently to dodge taxes and make the best out of what they had they had to go as light as possible and come up with all those kind of incredible ideas just to stay alive, as these guys got pretty dicked over by the marshal plan

as something like that is a design philosophy, every company has one, all based on how they cross and dott their t's and their i's for instance, and now in this modern day and age of mass production, companies can pull in enough money out of the cars so that they can do leaps and bounds in about half the time it took in the dark ages,

all thanks to technology covering alot of the R and D time and costs in the computer generated engineering programs they have.

which was about 15 years really. now we've gone from a 430 to a 488 in about 7, so its really keeping an art form alive really. which is why I get so angry about what happened to lamborghini, its like volkswaggen through out that book and said no you do it this way, in which if I worked there I would have given them the finger and gone off to work with ferrari.

which for all I know is exactly what happened lol as how do you go from a diablo GT to a gallardo volkswaggen based V10 engine in less than 5 years

but in that particular example, its a promo car from the hollywood miami vice thing I think, some ride they had, and its not worth that much considering how neglected it was, as all it is, is a nice story and its only worth what someone will pay for it, and I'd say maybe normal TR price plus 20 percent if its all straight and true, about a 145 thousand dollars

Edited by Kavinsky

23 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

The car previously bid to $600K at Mecum and did not sell, so the owner is expecting/demanding more. Even at the Ebay starting bid, which states "reserve not met", the owner can always end the listing if the bidding does not get what he wants. I've seen that done by other car sellers and this car was previously listed and pulled. I would be very surprised if this car sold for more than that number, even if someone comes forth with solid proof it was series driven. I recall his proof to date are service tickets from the local Ferrari repair shop. Yet what apparently is still missing is any documentation from Universal validating his claim that the car was actually driven in the series.

Ah, I see, silly me! Wishful thinking... :fireworks:

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Interesting...it didn't sell, twice now in the Mecum Auctions. So what are the chances it will get the huge price the seller was asking?

From another thread in here I recall someone who was at Mecum talked about the bidders wanting more paperwork or proof that the car was Series driven.  Nothing new is shown in this listing that we haven't already seen before. Or maybe it was title issues as was also discussed previously.

Sorry I hadn’t responded earlier.

And yes I was at the Monterey auction last year.

In regards to the second time it was at Mecum in Florida. Nothing new was presented or noted at that auction. The NBCSN crew did do a nice small piece on the car that aired on TV during the 1st run of the show. In talking to John Kraman at Kissimmee he thought they should have taken the Monterey offer as he didn't think it was going to do as well, and he was right.

Rumor was that shortly after Monterey a buyer offered $700K all in and it was rejected by the owner. If true the owner should have taken it, IMO.

As noted before, IMO, the car needs a ton of work to get it “Right”. It also needs more provenance tying it to specific episodes and scenes.

The argument by the owner is that since there were only 2 cars, for sure it was in the show is a good one. And based on research and the materials and paperwork at hand in Monterey and Kissimmee it was in the show. NBC and Ferrari both note the same chassis numbers for the show. This is iron clad and undeniable. Again chassis number 3631 is documented by Ferrari as being delivered to NBC Universal for use in the Miami Vice TV Show. Ferrari NA has no other noted sales to NBC Universal so the odds are long it was delivered and was used off the show.

The car could have been stripped of all interior components, engine trans, painted pink and used in a demolition derby. But as long as the chassis number is registered with the DMV, it’s one of the cars. That’s just how it works. It’s not like a game used pro jersey where you look for photo verification marks and don’t fix use, burns, tears and partially sewn numbers/crests.

With cars you fix the dents, repaint, replace glass, mirrors and repair the interior back to as-factory as possible to make it look good. But because of that golden chassis number and the more they match, chassis, engine, trans, frame, hood, trunk, fender… the more the car is worth. IE a “Matching Numbers” car. And the less we need specific scratches and dents for car identification.

But the question remains as to what level of participation did this car, or the Swap Shop car, have on screen. And what is that value worth. With TR’s of this age an engine or trans swap isn’t a big deal value wise. In most cases it give the car more value because it will drive longer. Today we are not garaging matching number low mileage 80’s TR’s for investments.

With a show or movie that uses 1 car, it’s self explanatory. With 2 cars I would want proper documentation from the production staff as to what chassis number was used for what purpose and this information rarely exists. And the longer the series, the more cars used and the more cars are faked. I am not saying this is the case here because Ferrari has put it's stamp on the car, but it happens all the time. If you know anything about Magnum PI,'s Ferrari's then you know for every real one, there were 10 fakes out there at one time.

Now I feel the car is no way worth anywhere near 1-mil. The owner should have taken the money on either occasion. But based on the reserve, he feels the market is at $500K and that is was it would have netted him had he should have sold it at either auction. I still think $500K is high in todays market, but only time will tell.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

bar none rule number 1 with a movie or tv car is, dont modify it if its the geniune article and if you do document the hell out of the changes.

• Like 1

I noticed when it went across the Mecum block it had a brick phone installed :thumbsdown:

Has it been discussed here what phone was actually in the car? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, nofretz said:

I noticed when it went across the Mecum block it had a brick phone installed :thumbsdown:

Has it been discussed here what phone was actually in the car? Just curious. 

I think it was a motorola phone that had a transceiver with it that was put under tubbs seat, as I noticed the cord leading to it in sons and lovers when they shoot the tires and rip the phone off the cord.

as those things were super expensive back then, and I mean full on rolex watch expensive at that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nofretz said:

Oops. I thought we were talking about the Testarossa here. 

No I am, I think they kept the phone from the daytona and transfered it over to the testarossa. so I think it was the same phone given the expense of switching out and replacing it.

and sorry I should have made that more clear, as I remember they had a close up of it in season 4, the concert episode and it looked the same as it did back then.

as they had a close up of sonny's phone in the car when tubbs was desparately trying to warn him about what was about to happen at the concert and It looked like the same phone.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 6 months later...

A Vice Testarossa was sold at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale this past Saturday eve. It hammered for $138k. Just under $152k all in after commission. The car will be located in GA and delivered to the owner on Monday.  The owner posted this info on a Ferrari forum to which I have been a member of for 14years as a red on black '85 Testarossa owner.

Here's link that may be of interest. Apologies if this has been posted previously.

http://theamazoeffect.blogspot.com/2011/10/cars-music-miami-vice.html

Edited by Prova85
Added link

2 hours ago, Prova85 said:

A Vice Testarossa was sold at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale this past Saturday eve. It hammered for $138k. Just under $152k all in after commission. The car will be located in GA and delivered to the owner on Monday.  The owner posted this info on a Ferrari forum to which I have been a member of for 14years as a red on black '85 Testarossa owner.

Here's link that may be of interest. Apologies if this has been posted previously.

http://theamazoeffect.blogspot.com/2011/10/cars-music-miami-vice.html

No worries! Join us over here:

Lots of great info in this thread!

• 3 months later...

Damn, don't know how I missed this thread until now.  Very interesting.  $40k to $80 for Testarossa huh?  Jeez, that doesn't sound so expensive with new car prices these days.  Still not quite the $2300 I picked up my 43k mile '78 Camaro for, with $3k invested in making it run and look good.  :cool:   I'll take vintage over these modern cars any day.