Jan Hammer - The Making of the Miami Vice Theme Video [HD]

Yann529

shows you how much love and hard work went into a simple 4 minute video of film really, if you do it well, no one notices, if you do it wrong however everyone does.

same thing with a script.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 2 years later...

I love that video, one of the best ones from the 80s. It's just too cool how they do that projector thing.
And funny that they actually shot Jan's scenes in NY. But it looks just like it was in Miami...

In the segments where Jan is interviewed - is it just me or does he have a lot of make up on almost making him look feminine? It's not that noticeable in the video itself but when he's that close to the camera....dang. What were they thinking?

I've noticed that, too. I think the harsh lighting from the interview makes it more noticeable than in the intended effect seen in the video. 

On that note, anyone ever notice how heavy the makeup is everyone in the scene in Phil the Shill in Switek's van right after they catch Izzy at Phil's house? 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

I've noticed that, too. I think the harsh lighting from the interview makes it more noticeable than in the intended effect seen in the video. 

On that note, anyone ever notice how heavy the makeup is everyone in the scene in Phil the Shill in Switek's van right after they catch Izzy at Phil's house? 

I was on a TV game show once (didn't win anything sadly, though :)).

They put ludicrous amounts of makeup on your face. It's mostly to prevent your face from looking oily or sweaty from the heat of the really quite intense lights while you're on stage and on camera.

But you really don't want to go out in the street like that, as a guy... because you'll really look like you got into your girlfriend's makeup products and had a go with them... :):p

Edited by Daytona74

Am 17.2.2017 um 13:33 schrieb Dadrian:

Haha cool. What gameshow??

I was on the German version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire".

Didn't win anything, but I still got a fun day out of it together with a friend. Even just getting to look behind the scenes of how a TV show is made was a pretty cool experience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Didn't win anything, but I still got a fun day out of it together with a friend. Even just getting to look behind the scenes of how a TV show is made was a pretty cool experience.

Cool to know - sounds a great experience :cool:

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Cool to know - sounds a great experience :cool:

Yeah I definitely recommend it, if you ever get the chance to be on a show like that.

Just make sure it isn't "Rat Race"... :)

• Like 1

On 17/02/2017 at 3:52 AM, Dadrian said:

Heavy make up on JH but it was fall 1985 and the harsh lighting doesn't help JH here !:D

• 1 month later...
Am 19.2.2017 um 14:33 schrieb Daytona74:

You were on "Wer wird Millionär" with Günter Jauch? When was that? And I don't mean to be rude - but if you really didn't win anything doesnt that mean you didn't get the first question right even though those are usually quite easy? And didn't use a lifeline ("joker")) ? Just wondering. ;-)

As for the make up -, during the new romantic wave in the early 80s it was all cool to wear make up as a guy. And if you were someone like Visage you could do it throughout the entire 80s. He's still doing it now I believe. xD

It was over a decade ago.

The problem is that it all looks a lot easier when you're sat at home on your sofa. You're in the comfort of your own four walls and there is no pressure on you to perform in front of TV cameras. And even if you get one of the initial ABCD questions right, you still have to be quicker than everybody else. And that's where I failed that day. But then again, so did the other six contestants who, like me, didn't get to play in the center.

That, and they really gave us crap ABCD questions. Things that were either outside of my area of expertise, if there is such a thing on a trivia quiz show, or turned out a little trickier than they seemed at first glance. And remember you've only got 20 seconds each time to get it right. Theoretically, you can always correct your entry before the time is up, but in practice, you only make it worse for yourself that way because you get even more nervous and "twitchy fingered".

Again, it's all too easy to get it right when you're at home on your sofa. But it's a whole different world when you're actually in a TV studio and you're a contestant on a game show on national TV.

A few weeks later, I was pulling my hair out watching another episode of the show at home... they were asking the contestants to put the four hosts of perennial 1980s video clip show Formel Eins in consecutive order. Nobody in the studio got that one. But it would have been a piece of cake for me, having been a huge fan of Formel Eins.

It's luck, at the end of the day. And sometimes you have it, and sometimes it fails you. I was lucky enough to be randomly selected to be on the show in the first place. And that was something already, because they get tens of thousands of calls each week and only ten people are picked from that for every show. I got a very interesting day out of it, with all expenses paid. So I'm not complaining. ;)

Btw, one of the first things that popped into my head when the show was over was actually that scene from Phill The Shill where Zito says to Switek, "That was your shot, man... it'll never happen again." :) I probably wouldn't have had any luck though trying to tell them that my computer screen was rigged somehow... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Zitat

The problem is that it all looks a lot easier when you're sat at home on your sofa. You're in the comfort of your own four walls and there is no pressure on you to perform in front of TV cameras. And even if you get one of the initial ABCD questions right, you still have to be quicker than everybody else. And that's where I failed that day. But then again, so did the other six contestants who, like me, didn't get to play in the center.

Oh right, I forgot that you need to qualify first. My bad! I thought that you were already in the chair facing Günther. ;-) I can understand this better now.

Zitat

That, and they really gave us crap ABCD questions. Things that were either outside of my area of expertise, if there is such a thing on a trivia quiz show, or turned out a little trickier than they seemed at first glance. And remember you've only got 20 seconds each time to get it right. Theoretically, you can always correct your entry before the time is up, but in practice, you only make it worse for yourself that way because you get even more nervous and "twitchy fingered".

Well, that does smell a bit of a Phil The Shill conspiracy, eh?

Zitat

A few weeks later, I was pulling my hair out watching another episode of the show at home... they were asking the contestants to put the four hosts of perennial 1980s video clip show Formel Eins in consecutive order. Nobody in the studio got that one. But it would have been a piece of cake for me, having been a huge fan of Formel Eins.

Oh wow, I was just a kid when that show ran on German TV. I remember it quite well but I don't think I remember (all) 4 hosts! (probably I didn't start watching it from the beginning) Let's see, without googling..... Peter Illmann, Kai Böcking....and uhm....wasn't there also a female one? Desiree Nosbusch? 

Zitat

It's luck, at the end of the day. And sometimes you have it, and sometimes it fails you. I was lucky enough to be randomly selected to be on the show in the first place. And that was something already, because they get tens of thousands of calls each week and only ten people are picked from that for every show. I got a very interesting day out of it, with all expenses paid. So I'm not complaining. ;)

I'm glad that you had a good experience nonetheless. :o) I'm imagining myself on the show....imagine they would ask something about Miami Vice and you would actually have a blackout at that moment. That would suck!

Edited by Den Taylor