Episode 2 - Heart of Darkness

Bilders

On 1/27/2016 at 9:46 AM, Bilders said:

I looked back as far as 2007 which makes the case even more compelling as you can get an angle off the windows which reflects a similar building as shown with Artie.

I think this is a really plausible lead. Plus the fact that it's always been a busy road, and in the scene you see a lot of cars travelling as speed behind Artie.

Good work - certainly seems to add up :dance2:

• 4 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:19 PM, airtommy said:

Artie calls C&T from a payphone:

Heart1.png

The building behind Artie does look exactly like the Storer Communications building, but there is another big white building reflected in its windows. There are no other big buildings nearby in that area, so that can't be it.

I think the white building is one of the "Four Ambassadors" near Brickell.  Notice how the corners bulge out.  That's a fairly unique feature.

Heart2.png

We can see ground level in the final few frames:

Heart3.png

My best guess is that Artie is on 8th St and the building behind him is Suntrust at 777 Brickell (NE corner of 8th & Brickell), but I can't say for sure.  Complicating matters, the Suntrust building has been remodeled and the windows are quite different than they looked in the 1980s.

I updated my site with this info. Artie was on 8th at Brickell on the SW corner w/ cars passing by him on Brickell. He was in front of the Barnett Bank Centre we saw in ep. 8. teaser.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C Glide said:

I updated my site with this info. Artie was on 8th at Brickell on the SW corner w/ cars passing by him on Brickell. He was in front of the Barnett Bank Centre we saw in ep. 8. teaser.

Yes!  If you go to that spot on Google Street View, you can see the same reflection of the white Four Ambassadors in the mirrored windows of Suntrust as we see behind Artie.  

Welcome back!

• Like 2

Awesome! So happy that this was sorted out. I really liked this scene and would love to be where Artie was at such a pivotal moment.

"Sam and I will pick you up at a used car lot at 23rd and Biscayne, bring the money!" *CLINK*

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A rare behind the scenes / rehearsal shot at Miami's Miamarina on the first day of filming for Season 1s "Heart of Darkness" on July 12th, 1984 - Produced by Mel Swope and Directed by John  Llewellyn Moxey.

(The Miami News ,1984) :hippie:

IMG_4162.PNG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

So as I started by asking in "Sonny's Cologne" thread and this is probably a hard question to answer because of the close-ups not given away much, expect for Sonny being on his boat as mentioned by Sonny-Burnett and what I also assumed.

As Tubbs's place is only seen in "Amen Send Money," I guess then, that when we see Tubbs getting read to meet with Artie he's at a hotel?

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 8:39 PM, summer84 said:

As Tubbs's place is only seen in "Amen Send Money," I guess then, that when we see Tubbs getting read to meet with Artie he's at a hotel?

I don't know of anything in the script which tells us if this is his apartment or a hotel.  Even the OCB dialogue is vague. I've seen (no idea where and when) this scene listed as Tubbs place along with Amen.

Watching it now, I'm wondering if this is PMT or some other actor.  His hands seem different and his skin looks darker, but maybe I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, airtommy said:

I don't know of anything in the script which tells us if this is his apartment or a hotel.  Even the OCB dialogue is vague. I've seen (no idea where and when) this scene listed as Tubbs place along with Amen.

Watching it now, I'm wondering if this is PMT or some other actor.  His hands seem different and his skin looks darker, but maybe I'm wrong.

I thought the script would have revealed it... 

There were a lot of hints in this episode regarding where Tubbs could have stayed, but all sort of vague only leading to more guessing. He also jokes about his own place compared to Artie's. 

Could be, their stunt doubles were often used and this a scene where they could get away with it. At the time. ;):)

Edited by summer84
wrote apartment

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I thought the script would have revealed it...

Sorry, I just meant the dialogue.  I don't have the script.

It's the scene where Tubbs is getting ready to meet with Artie. Starts around 19:08. 

It was stated before, that Tubbs's place is only seen in "Amen..." but we sort of see it here as well, I guess. 

Maybe it says in the script, as it's hard to determine anything from the shots in this scene. 

Thank you. I had to go back and look and also pull out the script. The script I have is one that was recovered from the Admin. offices of Miami Vice and is not a copy but a working edition used at filming with the name Lafata at the top (hand written, that would be Mark Lafata production coordinator). Last revision 07/16/1984. The  scene that you refer to does not exist. It goes from the FBI meet where they get the call in the Port of Miami, scene 54 B to scene 54C where they are already inside the Florimbi's Restaurant doing the meet. However, looking back to scene 43A which I did remember, there is the info. you are looking for. Interior of OCB Tubbs tries to talk to Rodriguez about his pay/$ so he can improve his living arrangements and he is shot down.. "You moved here because.... He is living (at least in this episode) in a seedy motel in Kendall, (I envision  down by Miami Dade Jr. College) where his neighbors are noisy and a problem. You have given me a new idea. My next step will include going through my site for the episodes I have scripts for and more closely comparing them to the final product and updating my site with the info that I will share here as well.

• Like 3

So the word "Kendall" never made it to final production? Was that in the dialogue in the script, or just implied by a description in the script?

1 hour ago, C Glide said:

.My next step will include going through my site for the episodes I have scripts for and more closely comparing them to the final product and updating my site with the info that I will share here as well.

Great idea, C Glide. I'm wondering also if there are other members in here with other working copies of scripts that could be shared with you so you can update even more episodes?

2 hours ago, C Glide said:

Thank you. I had to go back and look and also pull out the script. The script I have is one that was recovered from the Admin. offices of Miami Vice and is not a copy but a working edition used at filming with the name Lafata at the top (hand written, that would be Mark Lafata production coordinator). Last revision 07/16/1984. The  scene that you refer to does not exist. It goes from the FBI meet where they get the call in the Port of Miami, scene 54 B to scene 54C where they are already inside the Florimbi's Restaurant doing the meet. However, looking back to scene 43A which I did remember, there is the info. you are looking for. Interior of OCB Tubbs tries to talk to Rodriguez about his pay/$ so he can improve his living arrangements and he is shot down.. "You moved here because.... He is living (at least in this episode) in a seedy motel in Kendall, (I envision  down by Miami Dade Jr. College) where his neighbors are noisy and a problem. You have given me a new idea. My next step will include going through my site for the episodes I have scripts for and more closely comparing them to the final product and updating my site with the info that I will share here as well.

It's awesome knowing these details about Tubbs place. Thanks a lot for checking the script! :fireworks:  

That's a great idea! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Some good ones of the Miami side of the Julia Tuttle seen in this episode and "Brother's Keeper"/ "The Fix"  (From Hamilton on the Bay condo at NE 34th St and Biscayne) :hippie:

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

From the opening credits ("Missing You") this was filmed a top the Suntrust building on Lincoln Road Mall - this is the same angle from 2014 atop 1111 Lincoln Road ( next door) at sunset:hippie:

Miami, Florida  2014 ( 1 ) 757.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Nice to see - one of yours Jim ?

No, one of C Glide's I think.  I managed to save a lot of .org's posts before they went caput.

• 1 month later...