Episode 2 - Heart of Darkness

Bilders

On 12/4/2017 at 10:54 AM, miamijimf said:

Here is a shot of the Suntrust taken in 06.

t12.jpg

Just now, Dadrian said:

I have some pics of that building from 2003 I could share next time I’m on my computer. 

I meant this building. 

8 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Hey C Glide nice to see you posting here.

I agree - it’s nice to see you posting back again 

This is the real deal :)

• Like 1

On 16.1.2016 at 8:19 PM, airtommy said:

Artie calls C&T from a payphone:

Heart1.png

The building behind Artie does look exactly like the Storer Communications building, but there is another big white building reflected in its windows. There are no other big buildings nearby in that area, so that can't be it.

I think the white building is one of the "Four Ambassadors" near Brickell.  Notice how the corners bulge out.  That's a fairly unique feature.

Heart2.png

We can see ground level in the final few frames:

Heart3.png

My best guess is that Artie is on 8th St and the building behind him is Suntrust at 777 Brickell (NE corner of 8th & Brickell), but I can't say for sure.  Complicating matters, the Suntrust building has been remodeled and the windows are quite different than they looked in the 1980s.

This is what the 777 Brickell building has looked like prior to the remodelling265104-001.thumb.jpg.a1f8291ea50371aa8dc016adbfa10fbc.jpg:

• Like 3

23 hours ago, daytona365 said:

This is what the 777 Brickell building has looked like prior to the remodelling265104-001.thumb.jpg.a1f8291ea50371aa8dc016adbfa10fbc.jpg:

Nice photo ! Thankyou for posting :cheers:

On 23.6.2016 at 4:55 AM, C Glide said:

I updated my site with this info. Artie was on 8th at Brickell on the SW corner w/ cars passing by him on Brickell. He was in front of the Barnett Bank Centre we saw in ep. 8. teaser.

The payphone could have been a prop, as none visible in front of Barnett Bank in this shot:

king01.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daytona365 said:

The payphone could have been a prop, as none visible in front of Barnett Bank in this shot:

king01.jpg

I visited this location last year and there was no pay phone - I would think a prop as less than six episodes later when filmed, no payphone 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Could this be THE Blue Dolphin Lounge??

I know we’ve discussed this exterior shot here, but didn’t see anything here about this article, so forgive me if this has already been ruled out:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46751&forum=2&4

No, because that place is in a shopping center set back from the road.  I checked historicaerials.com and it was the same back in the 1980s.  In the MV clip our place is right next to the road.

That's still good work by you, though.  We saw stock footage of Rush Street in Chicago used on MV once, so it could be Chicago or anywhere.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Reference the restaurant exterior rear scene I got a decent picture from the Blu Ray and can clear up the sign on the Danger warning door says Meter Room - No Storage in the gold lettering, with the a in storage missing. I couldn’t pick out the background buildings with additional lightness at all (behind the car).

90CB12EB-15FD-4BA7-AD7E-1E15434747B0.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Reference the restaurant exterior rear scene I got a decent picture from the Blu Ray and can clear up the sign on the Danger warning door says Meter Room - No Storage in the gold lettering, with the a in storage missing. I couldn’t pick out the background buildings with additional lightness at all (behind the car).

Great work, thank you!  So this was an electric meter room.  It seems like a small stand-alone restaurant wouldn't have that.  It would be more appropriate to a large building.  Or maybe the Greenwich Studios.  But I don't know.

• Like 3

Considering the high voltage sign and water in the background I think that Dodge Island (the Port of Miami), where a later scene was filmed, is the most logical location for the outside shots.  Agree?

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

Considering the high voltage sign and water in the background I think that Dodge Island (the Port of Miami), where a later scene was filmed, is the most logical location for the outside shots.  Agree?

Yes, that's great candidate.

The Port of Miami is also where C &T meet the FBI agent in his car.  As you know, time is money for producers, so the less time it takes traveling from location to location the less expensive the episode.  I know Vice had a huge budget for TV at the time but I'll bet that staying within or below their budget limit was still important.

Edited by miamijimf

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

The Port of Miami is also where C &T meet the FBI agent in his car.  As you know, time is money for producers, so the less time it takes traveling from location to location the less expensive the episode.  I know Vice had a huge budget for TV at the time but I'll bet that staying within or below their budget limit was still important.

Also the final shootout was at the Port.

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

The circled building has a red light on top and what looks like a green light below.  This looks familiar to me. 

heart5.png.80e907a8691f39b9faccadcd99355db5.png

Airtommy shifted into higher gear of location hunting. And you have also run down the license plate for sure?! :)

Could that building be the Courthouse or Freedom Tower?  I looked at the Dutch Oven boat party and the Back in the World boat shelling scene, but I couldn't find anything similar in the skyline.

Red lights are aircraft warning lights on top of tall buildings and radio towers.  I remember a radio tower for WQAM, one of Miami's first radio stations.  It was close to the bay near the Miami Herald building, I think.

Edited by miamijimf

Very faintly above his head I can see a wide building.

One Biscayne Tower has a radio tower on top.

onebiscayne.thumb.jpg.07aa7c20bea5c9913a66cf19916ee800.jpg

Edited by airtommy

On the screenshot the building looks much slimmer than 1 Biscayne. Can we increase the adaptive lightning on the screenshot in order to get the silhouette or at least the width of the building with the light on it?