Wasabi Cars in japan

Kavinsky

Just thought I'd start this thread so my other thread isnt constantly showing up in this section,  the nasty bit there.

and share something abit different, as I came across this guy when I was looking up the Nissian 240 Z 3. 4, 2 and the Izzuzu 177

https://www.youtube.com/user/wasabicars/videos

and it kind of shows you just what kind of an influence we had on them back in the 1960's and 70's really, as some of them downright look like baby muscle cars, like the Celica

hell the above looks like a baby version of the 1968 Mustang from Bullit, mixed with the styling of a 1969 to 1971 Mach 1.

Edited by Kavinsky

That Toyota has a very "Mustangy" kind of look with the taillights and the trunklid.

I love that GTR!!!

Hard to believe they are over forty years old now!

I find it fascinating to see other types of cars from other countries. Years ago when I was in Erope on vacation I saw Ford of England and Ford of Germany and they had models and styles I have never even heard of! (and I am a huge fan of Top Gear)

I also loved Ford of Australia and even the Holdens had some neat models as well.

Edited by Stinger390X

Yeah its same thing with mopar in Auzzieland, as it turns out they had an inline 6, (a now very rare kind of motor, as only BMW makes them now on cars like the Z4) like it used to be on the R34 Skyline and the supra on one of their cars, except it was also a hemi engine on the chrystler valiant down there

800px-Chrysler_Valiant_VH_Charger_RT_%28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_%28VH%29

and that 240 Z was I think a special version, 3 Carbs, 4 Barrels a piece, and two camshafts, either that or it ment it was a 4 speed, probably 4 speed.

Edited by Kavinsky

Wow I had an old Datsun 240Z like that back in the early 80's. Mine was orange!

Too bad the rockers and floors were so rusty...They salt the roads here too much and it destroys the cars.

Another cool car I had for a short time was an old Opel GT. they were imported from Germany and there weren't many around. I sold it to a guy who gutted it and put a big block in it and a shortened rear end and drag raced it. Last I heard he still had the car over in London Ontario. It's been almost 40 years!

• Administrators

Yeah its same thing with mopar in Auzzieland, as it turns out they had an inline 6, (a now very rare kind of motor, as only BMW makes them now on cars like the Z4) like it used to be on the R34 Skyline and the supra on one of their cars, except it was also a hemi engine on the chrystler valiant down there

800px-Chrysler_Valiant_VH_Charger_RT_%28

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Valiant_%28VH%29

That there is a Valiant Charger. They only made a limited number and they're getting rare and expensive. 

The normal Valiant's are 4 door sedans. A sedan is valued at only a couple of thousand, but the coupes can set you back 20-50k.

I've always wanted a VG Valiant Coupe. They are known as a Dodge Dart in the US.

Chrysler_Valiant_VG_Pacer_Hardtop_(2).jp

Cool pics! Thanks for posting.

I always liked the way the Auzzies made strange header panels and turn signals moulded into those headers. These are minor changes but make them look very unique!

That Yellow car caught me off guard as I would never have guessed it was a Chrysler product, but the orange one definitely looks like our North American DART with a different front end. The side body lines are exact.

hmm the Don Adams car, one of them, I have to admit with the opel I've always gravatated towards the manta A, with its bright color scheme and muscle car/alfa romeo like styling

800px-Opel_Manta_01b_Foto_MSp_2006-10-13

although I remember my father telling me about an opel GT that he test drove in europe before he left europe with my mother.

and if I remember correctly he did say it was a good car, problem was that unlike the 914, which had two trunks (and a boatload of problems to go along with it) the opel gt had nothing close, and for a couple traveling europe, well you kinda need more than that.

and that particular 1968 914 got so bad that the dealership here in MA stopped honoring the warranty, and to say the least there hasnt been a porsche in the family since lol. so he should have gone with the opel or kept the fiat 124:/

although chances are the salt would have killed it too, and I swear I found the 914 locally back when i was a kid, rusted out in mr switches backyard, it was white too.

guy was a foreign motors repair guy, who always worked on that car and the Golf my father bought after the 72 LTD, and well to say she's dead jim would be an understatement lol.

that really is a dead ringer for the dart, or even the demon really, and yeah they actually made a car called the demon at one point out of the dart.

naturally the relgious people got a wee bit upset about it and it was quickly killed off lol, but its still a funny note in the darts history, plus apparently the paint job name curious yellow has abit of a double meaning, as its supposedly named after some weird french movie, called I am Curious yellow or something.

but the mopar guys have always been rebellious, its why I love them, and their cars.

Edited by Kavinsky

That actually looks like a popular colour for many years running on Chrysler and Plymouth Cars called "plum Crazy"

That was the actual brand name for the colour and the paint tints were identical for many years running.

I had a 70 Challenger right out of highschool and it was "Vitamin "C" Orange" the 1970 models were the only year they painted that particular colour.

I used to have a white Demon like that with a power sunroof. That was such a cool thing back then as it was the first car I ever owned that had one. We would cruise the beach and my buddy would pop up out of the centre of the roof while cruising the beach for girls. got pulled over by the cops and told to remain seated while the car was moving. No ticket........lucky me!

I think I remember seeing a 71 Cuda in that color though, the orange

and actually with that plum crazy I think they had a few different versions as I remember seeing a challenger that was painted a similar color like that, but it was in some sort of purple from a dodge neon

as I guess he wasnt able to find plum crazy here in MA or wherever he had the car painted.

To clarify, there were a few different oranges that were used in the late 60's early 70's but the only year they made "Vitamin"C" Orange" was 1970.

I loved Chrysler colours back in that era as they really experimented with hue on a large scale. I worked in the auto body repair business most of my life and was a painter since the early seventies when I started my apprenticeship.

Chrysler had some awesome purples and wild oranges but some of the greens were outrageous! I remember painting a green 71'GTX and it was really loud but it looked beautiful when it was done.

It's getting harder to get the old colours perfect match as the new paint technology is changing rapidly. Back in the 60's it was enamel and acrylic enamel, but then in the 80's all the imports and domestics started with base/clear finishes and now we have waterborne paints which I really despise.

A couple of summers ago I was doing some custom paint on some high end boats and could not get the correct paint up here in Canada so I had to go to the States and get some good aviation brand bases and acrylic clearcoats. It's getting very frustrating up here in Canada to restore old cars and boats as the rules for emmisions from paint booths are getting unrealistic in my opinion.

I still believe in solvent based paints and still think they are better than low VOC stuff that is out on the market today. All the companies that I used to use like Sikkens, RM, DuPont, Sherwin Williams etc are no longer available at all from local jobbers...??? I think it's because of these stupid new laws brought in but now they have all these offshore brands I never heard off and that's all you can find on the shelves for sale now?!? Funny I still have all my old books from back in the 60's and 70's to present with the paint chips and colour codes for mixing.

I'm amazed when I go to many car shows and cruise nights as to how guys are restoring their vehicles these days and struggling to find parts, get products etc.

hats off to anyone out there restoring your favorite.....whatever....Good for you!

Edited by Stinger390X

yeah I'm starting to wonder if the reason why were getting so much crap about spray cans and emissions is because the captain planet kids grew up and are now exerting influence.

I mean lead in the gas, and industrial pollution yeah fine, do all you can to combat that, I mean I know about the london smog and how many people that killed in the 1920's and 30's by it. But painting, recreational painting and car painting, how often do normal people do that exactly? not that often in the private industry.

and it seems to me that there is no free lunch, so why even bother will silly crap like this that doesnt make a difference? vs something like having econobox hybrid cars have a start stop function so that they dont pollute when there not moving in gridlock LA traffic

I mean hell I think that alone would probably cut down on the smog in that city by half

Edited by Kavinsky

you know the whole thing about the bright green got me thinking, has anyone made any car in green in the past couple of years?

as they seem to be few and far between, atleast with the dark greens like Emerald Green for the RT/10 viper