Death Wish

C Glide

I was walking thru the park one day,(visiting Prodigal Son locations) in the merry merry month of December, I was taken by surprise...by the feeling I had seen this place before:

wpcd3cd420_05_06.jpg wp6dd95886_05_06.jpg

wp0266cea1_05_06.jpg wp705edc4f_06.png

wpc4762c2a_05_06.jpg wp0ab56cc7_06.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pictures, it actually seems like it hasn't changed much after 4 decades by the look of it.

Bronson is a personal favorite of mine and I do consider Death Wish, the "daddy" of the modern vigilante films as probably his finest film, well that and of course Once Upon a Time in The West.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back in 2006-07 there were some heavy rumours that Sly Stallone was going to star and direct in an updated version of Death Wish (1974), but it never happened. Instead we got several vigilante themed films popping up around the same period, such as The Brave One (2007) (Death Wish with a female character), Death Sentence (2007), Defendor (2009), Harry Brown (2009), and of course the Taken series with Liam Neeson. I always loved the gritty vigilante flicks of the 70s and early 80s and the thought of having Paul Kersey coming back to clean up the streets once more was exciting, especially if they got the right man to do the part. If not Sly or Arnie, then maybe Kurt Russell would fit the bill.

This week it was reported that Eli Roth and Bruce Willis were going to team up to do a remake of Death Wish, and that pretty much killed the little hope I had for a worthy comeback with one of cinemas biggest badasses, Paul Kersey.

What I enjoyed with the first Death Wish film is that Bronson came off as an vulnerable and confused man, very unlike the "perfect" killing machine in the later films, who was just slaughtering bad guys for fun like its not big deal. I miss that with most vigilante/revenge films these days, they are just too "pretty" and clean with no real atmosphere, and you almost never sense that the "hero" is in any danger.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 2