Don Johnson up for a Miami Vice TV series reboot

Pal

Great article with Don here: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/don-johnson-on-30-years-of-miami-vice-20141009

What was your impression of Philip Michael Thomas?
Philip is the kindest, most joyful person you could ever hope to spend 16 hours a day with for five years. I never had one argument with that guy. We were closer than brothers. I haven't spoken to him in a while, but I love him. There's been talk recently about doing new episodes, and I've actually come up with some ideas for bridging the gap. I constantly get asked are you going to make more episodes. Up until recently, I would say "Nahh." But I'm feeling that joy and enthusiasm I felt the first time around, to reprise the character of Sonny Crockett and see what we can do in the 21st century. It would be hot. There's a thirst out there to see a reboot. But do it for streaming. Do it so they can binge on it. 

• Like 5

That would be unbelievably cool.

He's 64 now, not sure how he would pull it off as a cop. I hope he at least brings back Edward James Olmos, as well as PMT.

• Administrators

It would be amazing if it happens. He's mentioned it in multiple interviews now, so he must really be interested in bringing it back. :D

Great article!  My dream for the past 10 years is DJ & PMT make an up to date Miami Vice series with the original cast.

There is no reason they can't. Telly Savalas   did a Kojak  movie when he was around 80.

I hope they decide soon!

Some excellent ideas here.  There are many ways to reintroduce Miami Vice.  Obviously they would have some new younger characters to make it interesting for the younger viewers.  A continuing story line would work well, that seems to be the current trend.  The success of Burn Notice is an example.  Of course it would work best if the original stars had major parts. Also it would give me ammo for a whole new chapter to my book.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

I've been saying for years now that they should reboot Miami Vice but on the rare occasion I would mention it in forums such as YouTube people would always have some snotty reply about how it would look to have an "old Sonny Crockett" still making drug deals and busting smugglers and riding around in his aging Ferrari, which was never what I implied they should do. Numerous times I stated they could reprise the original characters but not in the same roles they portrayed when the series ended, but where they would be TODAY if they were still with the police department. Sadly though, all most people wanted to focus on was the ludicrous idea that Crockett & Tubbs would still be busting dealers a quarter century later when what I actually said was how they could re-visit the series by focusing on what their current positions might be. Some might be Captains in other units, or maybe even retired but come back to help work on an old case perhaps only they had insight on from years gone by. Clearly there are numerous ways writers could re-introduce these characters but all most could think about was joking about unrealistic nonsense.

I think there are enough Vice fans to make a reboot work but, as with any other Hollywood venture, you never know until they actually DO IT. I always thought Don Johnson disliked his time on Vice and in the past had always scoffed at the role that made him famous. PMT on the other hand has always, Always, ALWAYS regretted the show ending when it did, and has always been so utterly gracious for his opportunity on the series. One thing I seriously wish they would re-visit is the issue of PMT and Angelina's son. They made such a big deal on the show when they killed off Angelina in the exploding car scene but strangely never again addressed the fact that their son lived on after being taken by Orlando Calerone. I'm sure we'd ALL love to see what happened with that particular scenario. Hell, there are LOTS of stories they could come up with given the years that have passed. The fact is this could be another big hit if done right   :thumbsup:

I completely agree with your post, MetroVice.   I get so angry with the stupid, sarcastic remarks about Crockett & Tubbs chasing dealers in their wheelchairs & walkers.  :evil:

Your idea of them retired & asked for their expertise on difficult cases is very do-able !  They can also have gunfights without running down the street. Writers have very good insights on this.  Don & Philip are still agile enough to give action like in "Nash Bridges."

I hope my dream comes true!!!  :thumbsup:  :cool:  :done:

• Like 1

This would be a dream come true!  After all this time wishing and hoping it would happen, it's actually a possibility!   I'd love to see the 'matured' Sonny and Rico in whatever form of law enforcement (or not) they may be at currently.  There are a multitude of great story lines they could use.  I just hope this comes to fruition... :fireworks:  :D

• Like 2

This would be a dream come true!  After all this time wishing and hoping it would happen, it's actually a possibility!   I'd love to see the 'matured' Sonny and Rico in whatever form of law enforcement (or not) they may be at currently.  There are a multitude of great story lines they could use.  I just hope this comes to fruition... :fireworks:  :D

I hope so too and that its done well :D

I think the new series should start from 30 Years ago on Freefall final scene, they should remind to viewers what had happened 30 years ago and start with it. After 30 years Crockett & Tubbs get old.. Sonny Crockett goes to Billy's (his son) graduate from Police Academy. Rico Jr. had been grown by his aunt. She never told Rico Jr. until this time what really had happened to his mother (Angelina Calderone) and who is really his father!? And the pilot script can develop this way.

Edited by Knight&Crockett
  • Like 1

Very good ideas Knight&Crockett ! There's the young people for the strenuous action scenes, Billy & Rico Jr. and our favorites are still in it to aid with expertise, marksmanship and wisecracks!

Get these ideas to Michael Mann. 

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 1

Hi Sredd,

I just realized you didn't just post a picture but a whole article about what to have in a new Vice series.

It is packed with great ideas! The only thing....I hope DJ & PMT get enough exposure in every episode.

• Like 1

Some good ideas there Knight&Crockett!

Maybe they can put Crockett in a higher position like when NYPD Blues ended, Sipowitz ended up as head kahuna of the squad. Maybe Sonny could be the boss now and oversee all the weekly going's on.........

You never know?

• Like 2

I know this one won't match the view of many of you guys, but my opinion is: it's not going to work.

Don't get me wrong: as well as you pals, I would like to see the original cast reunited, whatever the script, whatever the excuse, whatever.

But I'd love to see the guys in their true clothes. I'm not interested in watching Sonny "supervising" the squad or, even worse, have the baby-Tubbs and the baby-Crockett doing the thing one day their parents did. Sounds weird, doesn't it? And what about the other squad members?

If we want to talk about a barely plausibile reunion, to me the only chance would be a movie, not a tv series reboot.
I know: even for that - it's too late. But would be a lot easier to find the excuse for bringing back the characters.

The only chance I see would be the need to gather round the old squad to fight something really hard to defeat. As I wrote in another post, this would be an ideal "passport" for bringing back the guys in their mature age without being ridiculous or losing their charisma.
A one-shot mission.

I envisioned a bad guy organization the present Vice squad can't get the best of. They tried everything and they failed. It's become a big thing. The law seems able to do nothing against this king of drugs. So the mayor, the politicians and some high police officer meet to find a solution. It turns out that only one man can do the job: the Lieutenant Martin Castillo. They call him, but he wants his squad, take it or leave it (I know you can actually see him in this posture ;-). So the story begins, no resurrection of Larry, but the twin idea I read here could work. He could be an expert of something, maybe explosives or whatever works.

To say the truth, I frankly don't think such a thing will ever see the light, be it the series reboot or the movie, regardless from Don's announcements. The entertainment industry is a tough one, big money or nothing. After all, that's why they closed the show in 1989.

Just personal views of course, I didn't want to offend or destroy the hopes of anyone, maybe it's just my cinical nature...

PS For the ones of you wanting to read the whole story

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php/topic/11378-the-last-big-missed-chance/

• Like 4

I dig your idea, Jerry B., about Castillo demanding his original squad. :thumbsup:

I also agree it's going to be very difficult to get our ideas to Universal, Michael Mann Don Johnson. l

Who has some pull around here?