Don Johnson up for a Miami Vice TV series reboot

Pal

I dig your idea, Jerry B., about Castillo demanding his original squad. :thumbsup:

I also agree it's going to be very difficult to get our ideas to Universal, Michael Mann Don Johnson. l

Who has some pull around here?

Hi Tony, not so difficult.

I had dinner with Michael Mann at Duke's in Malibu the other day, he said he likes the idea, but he wanted me as Crockett. I said: "Sorry, Mike, I'm retired".

Hey, wait a moment... We didn't even talk about money!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone gotten any updates on whether or not Don Johnson has made any successful attempts to bring back MV? I know on his Who's Say he posted himself (I think) filming Score which he wanted to do in Miami. It was of him joking about the sign in the window that reads something like "Free Smells". I know for some parts I love those guys ideas that they blogged about from January 2015 on how to reboot Vice. I contacted them with my opinion & told him maybe they should contact Don & let him know since Don discussed his ideas & hopes to bring back Vice on Miami Herald & Rolling Stone magazine. It has been months now & I was just wondering if there was any updates?

All I ask for the reboot is for the original cast being a part & it begin with Rico Jr. being part of the Calderone legacy. Unlike those guys ideas I don't think Don should be just a special guest nor PMT be in Castillo's place. I think it would be great to have Crockett's son & Rivera's son wanting to continue their father's legacy but have Sonny Crockett around & though he & Tubbs had retired, why not have them neighbors. I can't imagine Crockett for years not having Tubbs around. The 2 became best friends, as they had said themselves, they were more than just partners! I think it would be amazing if Crockett receives a call from his son informing him about a 28-30 year old man named Ricco/Ricardo Calderone & how this name sounds familiar & Crockett immediately knows who that is. He calls Tubbs & they make their way to Miami. They spend a great deal of time trying to get to Rico, Jr. & get him to understand that Ricco Tubbs is his father. The boy makes it difficult as he was raised by Orlando Calderone's lady Maria (which my Mom & I said be great to have Rose Perez) to play Maria. Because Rose Perez is outspoken & feisty so she'll be the woman who does all she can to make it difficult for Crockett & Tubbs to really get to Rico Jr.

I think bringing Izzy back & have him immediately notice Rico Jr. too because he sees the features wouldn't be bad either. He can be the guy that helps along with Gina & Trudy. I also would like to know what came of poor Stan because they finale left me hanging on him & his gambling issues. So I hope you see where I'm going with this. A combination of the old & the new together.

Edited by TubbsGirl1n&Ou7

I completely agree with you Jerry. After 25+ years, they can't just pick up where they left off. That's why if they ever do this thing, it will be a one-shot.The show shouldn't have end in 1989, and it's true that the money-making machine of show business is the reason for that. The only way this would work is if it was either a movie or a mini-series (5 or 6 one-hour length episodes). I would be glad that it would actually be DJ and PMT playing Crockett and Tubbs once again, but I'm not interested in seeing their kids all grown up and making it about that. I just don't want a whole reverse "I am your father" type thing, a la Luke and Darth Vader, except with the son being the bad guy who is redeemed by the father instead of the other way around. Come to think of it, it could work in a movie, and explain why they return to the police force after all those years, but I'm not sure I would really want to watch it. Jerry has made an interesting scenario, and in my opinion, the only plausible one that would explain why Crockett and Tubbs wold come back after all that time to work as police. 

Edited by viceystyle
  • Like 1

I completely agree with you Jerry. After 25+ years, they can't just pick up where they left off. That's why if they ever do this thing, it will be a one-shot.The show shouldn't have end in 1989, and it's true that the money-making machine of show business is the reason for that. The only way this would work is if it was either a movie or a mini-series (5 or 6 one-hour length episodes). I would be glad that it would actually be DJ and PMT playing Crockett and Tubbs once again, but I'm not interested in seeing their kids all grown up and making it about that. I just don't want a whole reverse "I am your father" type thing, a la Luke and Darth Vader, except with the son being the bad guy who is redeemed by the father instead of the other way around. Come to think of it, it could work in a movie, and explain why they return to the police force after all those years, but I'm not sure I would really want to watch it. Jerry has made an interesting scenario, and in my opinion, the only plausible one that would explain why Crockett and Tubbs wold come back after all that time to work as police. 

I agree the idea of Jerry and you but TubbsGirl1n&Ou7 is right.If you don't make the combination of the old original squad&new squad together and don'T put Billy Crockett and Rico Jr. and the sons of original squad, the new series never can be the series of the new generation. You should put original cast on a difficult mission but sooner or later the original cast gotta be retired or gotta be on high ranks after 30 years. At least like Jerry said with a difficult mission they jump to high ranks after 30 years they returned their jobs. Original Old&New Cast would be great with a pilot film or movie. If you want to introduce to the new generation the name of Miami Vice and Miami Vice Mark you got to make a interesting show to the new generation.That's the way to keep on the Miami Vice series to future. Sorry but we don't live in 1980's now it's 2015. Could you imagine 50 years old cop as Sergeant Detective or something. Nah it can't be work! Because the youth of 2015 - 2000's want to see the youth cops and with be their back experiences cops.Like you see todays cop shows "Rizzoli&Isles" (You see Bruce McGill who played actor on season 2 episode Out Where the Buses Don't run episode of Miami Vice as Hank Weldon. On Rizzoli&Isles as Vince Korsak have experience on highest rank cop) and other cop show of todays.

Edited by Knight&Crockett

I still want someone to do a Miami Vice movie that's a period film in the 80s with the fashion and cars etc, and the tone of it could be similar to "Smugglers Blues" or "Payback". Not as ultra serious as the 2006 movie but it takes itself seriously unlike the Starsky and Hutch crap that Ben Stiller did.

Knight&Crockett, that's exactly why it won't work. I know that sadly, "my" generation would not be interested in Miami Vice. People my age who like it are an anomaly these days. These days, the generation would think the real MV and the style and music is "cheesy" and "uncool" and want to see something that's like all the other stupid cop shows out there presently. They will also want to see the crappy style of today and the crappy music as well. We live in a wasteland of an era nowadays. That's why the re-make would just ruin the memory of the real one. Miami Vice was so 80s, so defined and defining of that era that it just won't work today, because unlike other shows, so much of it's identity was the era it was set in. It's a time and place that's gone forever from this world and nothing can bring it back. It will never be like that again here. Also, I don't think a period piece, where they set it in the 80s would work either, because it would be so contrived and trying too hard to look 80s. It joust wouldn't be authentically and effortlessly 80s. It would have that fake, forced feel that other contemporary media that's supposed to be set in the 80s has. I mean that kind of thing might work for another era, like how they did the new Great Gatsby movie with DiCaprio. It was still set in the 20s but it was a much more stylized 20s. I actually do like that film, aside from the horrible contemporary rap and pop music in it, which I hated, but if you ignore that it was a really good movie. I'm not sure if that technique would work for the 80s though.

Edited by viceystyle

I like this idea a lot, they have rebooted Hawaii Five-0 and I think the reboot of that is generally amazing, they have really made it work in the modern day, but do you think the same can be done for Vice? and would this generation even be interested? (I would be of course!) I mean, Vice was filmed in such a unique amazing time in the 80's, and it could not be done again, they wouldn't be able to capture the same feel they did back then, you really felt the vibe of the 80's with shots of the beach and Jan Hammers amazing music..would they be able to do this nowadays? some things on Vice back then you could get away with on TV, you probably wouldn't be able to get away with now.. would Sonny even be able to smoke? (I know he gave up but that's beside the point) would he be able to get away with or do half the things he could do on Vice back then? would it really work? but I would love to see what Universal would cook up...I just did not like the 2006 movie, it was absolutely terrible and not truly Vice at all.

But the thing is that what made MV what it is is far more than just plot, that's what made it so different from other shows. It's what we talk about on here every day.  It was the lighting, the feel, the vibe, the atmosphere, the music, style, and all those things are gone with that era. 1980s/early 90s Miami is a setting that doesn't exist anymore, and setting was the heart of MV. Miami Vice just can't exist without the 80s, because it is so much a product of that era. That's why re-makes of other shows and films can work and work well. But with MV, it was something completely defined by the time period. Whatever they make now wouldn't be Miami Vice, it would be something else entirely that's just happens to be using the same name. Getting two guys, calling them Crockett and Tubbs, and sending them to Miami, and having them fight drug cartels doesn't make it MV. That's why the 2006 movie didn't work. MV is so much a product of its era, that to remove that from it is to remove it's soul. 

Edited by viceystyle

But the thing is that what made MV what it is is far more than just plot, that's what made it so different from other shows. It's what we talk about on here every day.  It was the lighting, the feel, the vibe, the atmosphere, the music, style, and all those things are gone with that era. 1980s/early 90s Miami is a setting that doesn't exist anymore, and setting was the heart of MV. Miami Vice just can't exist without the 80s, because it is so much a product of that era. That's why re-makes of other shows and films can work and work well. But with MV, it was something completely defined by the time period. Whatever they make now wouldn't be Miami Vice, it would be something else entirely that's just happens to be using the same name. Getting two guys, calling them Crockett and Tubbs, and sending them to Miami, and having them fight drug cartels doesn't make it MV. That's why the 2006 movie didn't work. MV is so much a product of its era, that to remove that from it is to remove it's soul. 

No,I don't agree you. If you make a new fashion style combination of 80's and 2000's on Miami Vice the new generation would love to see and use the Miami Vice fashion like 80's and 90's. I don't say we just drop the style and music of 80's. I'm just trying to say the musics of Miami Vice can remix with new technology to some scenes. We can also see original way of Miami Vice and 80's music too.To some scenes with compatibility you put todays music and 80's music together too. And if be amazing you can do remix of the 80's and Miami Vice music. You didn't understand exactly me. I'm saying the combination of 80's and 2015 - 2000's. If the producers do this and write great script for pilot and rest of series like we interested original 80's Miami Vice it would work. The 2006 Miami Vice movie sucks because the script isn't good and right, Michael Mann has just dropped of the 80's Miami Vice look. You don't even see the combination of 1980's and 2000's. That's why it didn't work! I watched only Turkish dub Miami Vice 2006 movie and I saw very mixed and boring scenario they made. Maybe a little look like the look of Miami Vice but not like completely the 80's Miami Vice. Because they adapted to just 2000's, I'm not talking about the adaptaion to 2000's of Miami Vice. I'm talking about as making mix of combination of two eras and make a put and expose a new mixed 80's and 2000's together a new Miami Vice style. I still see arround me the youth of todays still using t-shirt into jackets sometimes arms curled and under trousers cotton,fabric and jeans.I'm using this style too. As we can see the youth style of todays has been made by Miami Vice 30 years ago. I'm 19 years old by the way.

No,I don't agree you. If you make a new fashion style combination of 80's and 2000's on Miami Vice the new generation would love to see and use the Miami Vice fashion like 80's and 90's. I don't say we just drop the style and music of 80's. I'm just trying to say the musics of Miami Vice can remix with new technology. You put todays music and 80's music together too. And if be amazing you can do remix of the 80's and Miami Vice music. You didn't understand exactly me. I'm saying the combination of 80's and 2015 - 2000's. If the producers do this and write great script for pilot and rest of series like we interested original 80's Miami Vice it would work. The 2006 Miami Vice movie sucks because the script isn't right, Michael Mann had just drop of the Miami Vice look. You don't even see the combination of 1980's and 2000's. That's why it didn't work! I watched only Turkish dub Miami Vice 2006 movie and I saw very mixed and boring scenario they made. Maybe a little look like the look of Miami Vice but not like completely the 80's Miami Vice. Because they adapted to just 2000's, I'm not talking about the adaptaion to 2000's of Miami Vice. I'm talking about as making mix of combination of two eras and make a put and expose a new mixed 80's and 2000's together a new Miami Vice style. I still see arround me the youth of todays still using t-shirt into jackets sometimes arms curled and under trousers cotton,fabric and jeans. As we can see the youth style of todays has been made by Miami Vice. I'm 19 years old by the way.

I don't know where you live because I don't really see many younger people who like that style and music at all. And in the media too, the media here in the U.S. is all always portraying the 80s as kitsch and "uncool", "faux pas", basically they just constantly make fun of it. Everything, from radio to tv shows is hammering out the crappy style and music of today. That's the reason the 2006 movie was the way it is, it was made to appeal to the audience of this era, the new generation. MV is too much a product of its time to be re-made, because that atmosphere is gone. Whatever they make now will just be like all the rest of the modern-day shows. It won't be Miami Vice, because they can't capture the way things looked, the way the culture was, and the general aura of the place and time. Also, most people are just not interested in that. They'd want the latest crappy auto-tuned songs or rap on the shows, and they'd want to dress the characters in the non-descript look of today. It will be a cop show, but it won't be MV. They can film it in Miami, but it won't have that same lighting and look. It will look like all the other shows out there today, that dingy feel the movie had. They can get two guys to go to Miami, but it won't be Crockett and Tubbs. MV is a show that worked in the 80s, because it was the 80s and exemplified its era and setting. The music was what was current and mainstream back then, so were the clothes, so were the themes. Nowadays it just isn't the 80s anymore, and while little tidbits may be alive because people like us here are keeping them alive, it's just not the general feeling and aura. It's entirely different times. That's why I believe it's best left in the 80s, because it's identity is tied to a bygone era. I am guessing you are from Turkey? I can see that things in Turkey and also in Europe might be different from here in the States. I know the music trends there are different, and also people's style as well. Therefore, it's an entirely different pop culture that might resemble the 80s. It seems like in some countries, the style tends to be more alive, but sadly, here in the U.S., it isn't. 

I don't know where you live because I don't really see many younger people who like that style and music at all. And in the media too, the media here in the U.S. is all always portraying the 80s as kitsch and "uncool", "faux pas", basically they just constantly make fun of it. Everything, from radio to tv shows is hammering out the crappy style and music of today. That's the reason the 2006 movie was the way it is, it was made to appeal to the audience of this era, the new generation. MV is too much a product of its time to be re-made, because that atmosphere is gone. Whatever they make now will just be like all the rest of the modern-day shows. It won't be Miami Vice, because they can't capture the way things looked, the way the culture was, and the general aura of the place and time. Also, most people are just not interested in that. They'd want the latest crappy auto-tuned songs or rap on the shows, and they'd want to dress the characters in the non-descript look of today. It will be a cop show, but it won't be MV. They can film it in Miami, but it won't have that same lighting and look. It will look like all the other shows out there today, that dingy feel the movie had. They can get two guys to go to Miami, but it won't be Crockett and Tubbs. MV is a show that worked in the 80s, because it was the 80s and exemplified its era and setting. The music was what was current and mainstream back then, so were the clothes, so were the themes. Nowadays it just isn't the 80s anymore, and while little tidbits may be alive because people like us here are keeping them alive, it's just not the general feeling and aura. It's entirely different times. That's why I believe it's best left in the 80s, because it's identity is tied to a bygone era. I am guessing you are from Turkey? I can see that things in Turkey and also in Europe might be different from here in the States. I know the music trends there are different, and also people's style as well. Therefore, it's an entirely different pop culture that might resemble the 80s. It seems like in some countries, the style tends to be more alive, but sadly, here in the U.S., it isn't. 

Yeah, I understand you and I can say that you're right. Maybe we just live 80's watching 80's Miami Vice.But anyway If they bring back Miami Vice to tv maybe the new generation querie todays fashion in USA and find out 80's fashion so cool.At least this would be a promotion of Miami Vice to new generation.I really sorry for USA.But in Turkey people still wearing some like Miami Vice. jackets into t-shirts under trousers cotton,fabric and jeans and using Raybans...Now I want to tell and share you with this:I'm trying to re-broadcast Miami Vice (Turkish Broadcast Name is "Kanun Namına" on  TRT network channel 1 and 2. The TRT Network had public network and only being one television network in since 1960's to the end of 1980's of Turkey. So, the public network TRT (Turkish Radio And Television Network) had started to air Miami Vice with name "Kanun Namına" as from "18.04.1986". They aired Heart Of Darkness episode as first episode.The pilot had never aired according to my research in Turkey. First they had been aired on friday nights, later on they put the show on thursdays nights after they take the show to channel two.And after they put the show on tuesday nights.They had been airing the show on late time like 10:00-10:30,11:00 and 11:20-11:30 pm which is time slot everyone and kids could watch.The TRT network had aired to Back In The World episode in 22.03.1988. In 1989 Star 1/Magicbox Incorporation AG has founded in Turkey and Germany. They used two studios while they were on broadcasting. In 16.11.1990 Miami Vice "Kanun Namına" had started to airing on Star 1(After they changed name InterStar on Cem Uzan's management,from after Ahmet Özal(who is son of turkish prime minister that time) between Cem Uzan partnership was over, couple years after they changed as "Star TV") up to 1995. Star TV had started to airing from Phill The Shill episode which is in Turkey the remaining episode of Miami Vice tv series till season 5 Freefall episode. I remember when I was kid they has been airing as re-broadcast in 1997,1998 or 1999 the Freefall episode's last scene had been re-broadcasting on InterStar(StarTv). Many years after when I growed up when I learned the show from Grand Theft Auto Vice City Game through of Lance Vance voice actor Philip Michael Thomas and watched the last scene of Freefall (Sonny&Rico're saying each other good-bye front of Ferrari Testarossa and Sonny was taking Rico to airport with Ferrari) I said to myself where I remember this scene from? And after I found out it was from my childhood.Sorry for undermining the thread I think I gotta open a new thread for these newspapers and informations.

Here is the tv programs,movies which had broadcasted on Star1/InterStar/StarTV/Magic Box Incorporated AG Company

You will see about Miami Vice with Don Johnson Is Number One On Raitings. - "Don Johnson Bir Numara" headline" The Miami Vice had been broadcasted by StarTV(Star1/InterStar)/Magicbox Incorporated AG on firday nights and after sundays nights. Re-Broadcasted which I remember from my childhood has been broadcasted before InterStar/StarTV's The Main News at 16:00 - 18:00 "4:00 pm - 6:00 pm" When Star1/Magicbox Incorporated founded in 1989 a competition started public company TRT Network between private company Magicbox Network.According to the laws In Turkey There is only one network could making broadcast in Turkey. The right was the public company TRT.Be with one of the partners Magicbox Network Ahmet Özal(who is son of prime minister that time Turgut Özal) this block had been passed and after the law article has been changed as The right is broadcasting in Turkey on every network which are goverment's public and private sector's private networks. 

Here is the announcement of the last episode on TRT network channel 2 Back In The World. The last episode which has aired on public TRT network.I found out this from newspaper called milliyet archives.In 16.11.1990 Star TV had started from Phill the Shill episode to airing rest of episodes and seasons of Miami Vice with Turkish Broadcast Name "Kanun Namına" 

mb4oc2.jpg

Here is the announcement of Miami Vice "Kanun Namına" first airing.

11id81y.jpg

Here is the passing of Miami Vice "Kanun Namına" to Star 1(InterStar/Star TV)/Magicbox Incorporated AG Company

1zqy63n.jpg

This is from The Great McCarthy Episode on public TRT Network Channel 1

s4ct2h.jpg

No,I don't agree you. If you make a new fashion style combination of 80's and 2000's on Miami Vice the new generation would love to see and use the Miami Vice fashion like 80's and 90's. I don't say we just drop the style and music of 80's. I'm just trying to say the musics of Miami Vice can remix with new technology to some scenes. We can also see original way of Miami Vice and 80's music too.To some scenes with compatibility you put todays music and 80's music together too. And if be amazing you can do remix of the 80's and Miami Vice music. You didn't understand exactly me. I'm saying the combination of 80's and 2015 - 2000's. If the producers do this and write great script for pilot and rest of series like we interested original 80's Miami Vice it would work. The 2006 Miami Vice movie sucks because the script isn't good and right, Michael Mann has just dropped of the 80's Miami Vice look. You don't even see the combination of 1980's and 2000's. That's why it didn't work! I watched only Turkish dub Miami Vice 2006 movie and I saw very mixed and boring scenario they made. Maybe a little look like the look of Miami Vice but not like completely the 80's Miami Vice. Because they adapted to just 2000's, I'm not talking about the adaptaion to 2000's of Miami Vice. I'm talking about as making mix of combination of two eras and make a put and expose a new mixed 80's and 2000's together a new Miami Vice style. I still see arround me the youth of todays still using t-shirt into jackets sometimes arms curled and under trousers cotton,fabric and jeans.I'm using this style too. As we can see the youth style of todays has been made by Miami Vice 30 years ago. I'm 19 years old by the way.

I agree with you & your ideas. I say what is it going to hurt to as least release some kind of experimental sample to a today's audience? Again, have a combination of at least Crockett's son (as a Vice cop) & Tubbs' (carrying the Calderone's tradition) & the fathers Crockett & Tubbs trying to be there for their sons, obviously for 2 different reasons. Maybe not advertise so much on the whole Good Ol' Miami Vice 1980s days but focus on a good solid story. Yeah have it as a movie or mini-series, again experimental. That's what made Miami Vice work in the 1st place, it started out as experimental, different bring it like that now. If Hawaii 5-O was able to work, why can't Miami Vice. Wasn't  Hawaii 5-0 came like in the 1970s? Miami Vice even in the 1980s had something that people still enjoy, men like the macho guys still of fights & etc., plus the women, then the women enjoying looking at Crockett & Tubbs, some things may have changed but other things have not.

Obviously as far as the style goes, why not have whomever is the latest & hottest designer work on that. Same goes with the music, I can't imagine someone like Kanye or T.I. (who is known for wearing suits) reject appearing on the New Miami Vice & do music for it. I can even imagine Bruno Mars, his looks & style fits in with Miami Vice. He is about as exotic looking as Tubbs himself! The main issue is the best storyline & advertisement that doesn't focus so much on the good ol' days but the idea of a group of young people (Billy Crockett & Rico Tubbs, Jr.) trying to live their young lives, yet their fathers are also around to help guide them. Sonny Crockett is his sons' mentor & Rico Tubbs' is his sons trying to show him the right way to go. If you put aside the whole Miami Vice image, I think an amazing story can be developed. Just finding a way to have a new generation that feels this 21st Century Vice is relatable to them, what they are going through. There have been race riots & issues with police offers shooting young black kids, I mean that could easily be incorporated into the New Miami Vice.

Think of the new devices now of smart-phones & smart-tablets, Rico Tubbs Jr./Calderone could easily take advantage of the devices today. The stories of today to use is endless.

I'm not that interested in a re-boot for vice, you just know they would mess it up entirely and become a watered down crap like the Hawaii five 0 reboot.

But I'm still waiting for a Miami Vice Bluray collection  ;( hurry up michael mann, make it happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As probably for most people in this forum, Miami Vice constitutes a great part of my personal universe. More than 25 years after its end, it still has a daily influence on my taste of clothes, cars, music, architecture and other things.

So I guess you could say I’m quite an avid fan. But as much as I love Miami Vice (or maybe because I love it so much), when it comes to the idea of reviving the series, I have to say: PLEASE DON’T !

Any attempt to bring back the old magic after such a long time will inevitably result in a pathetic failure and destroy the heritage of the original. Any scenario that brings the characters back together on the spot would have to be ridiculously constructed.

MV had already jumped the shark some time before it was cancelled (though opinions on the exact point in time do differ), but it was ended in an excellent and decent way. We all since will likely have made our own imaginations about the fate of the show’s characters and put them in the places we would wish them to be. And I wish for them to rest there in dignity as what they are...yesterday's heroes with no room to grow.

• Like 4

As probably for most people in this forum, Miami Vice constitutes a great part of my personal universe. More than 25 years after its end, it still has a daily influence on my taste of clothes, cars, music, architecture and other things.

So I guess you could say I’m quite an avid fan. But as much as I love Miami Vice (or maybe because I love it so much), when it comes to the idea of reviving the series, I have to say: PLEASE DON’T !

Any attempt to bring back the old magic after such a long time will inevitably result in a pathetic failure and destroy the heritage of the original. Any scenario that brings the characters back together on the spot would have to be ridiculously constructed.

MV had already jumped the shark some time before it was cancelled (though opinions on the exact point in time do differ), but it was ended in an excellent and decent way. We all since will likely have made our own imaginations about the fate of the show’s characters and put them in the places we would wish them to be. And I wish for them to rest there in dignity as what they are...yesterday's heroes with no room to grow.

Indeed on all counts. Crockett and Tubbs had reached the ends of their ropes. They knew full well that they could never stem the growing drug flow in Miami. The whole point of the show ending was that they both had every reason to quit the OCB -- and no reason to come back. To reunite them now would seem pointless from a plot standpoint, and a logistical standpoint.

Look at it this way: drug dealers come and go, just like Vice cops. As great as C&T were, they had their time and they made a difference in the world while they could. But they're expendable and easily replaced with other cops who'll face the same frustrations and do no better at stamping out drugs. There's no "big assignment" a pair of Vice cops who quit 26 years ago can take on that a current Vice cop can't ... so it's doubtful the commissioner would be calling Sonny and Rico back when they have the police manpower to do it now, as ineffective as it may be. 

Edited by Spyder

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who prefer to not have any reboot, would you all like a reunion with the main 7 cast members? Similar to what Carol Burnett did? I know it would never happen because Don doesn't seem he would agree to it & PMT seems to be more private & Eddie James Olmos seems to have bitter feelings towards PMT & Don so....

I think that would be nice if it was able to happen. I miss those 7. I know Don is still able to work, as well as Eddie James Olmos, the rest seem to be on the lower radar. My main thing for not so much a re-boot but at least a one shot more closed chapter to all those unanswered questions that was left when during the 5 seasons the show was on. Plus I personally do miss those 5-6 actors that we all rarely ever get to see or hear about unless they are on some kind "Remember When" special or private reunion. I actually do love all 7 of them & felt those key 5 actors were never given a fair shot or opportunities. For the rest of their lives they will always be linked to Miami Vice & more than anything else. I guess a reboot may not even interest them nor would a one-time film of the show. I know there will be a reboot of Full House & some other classic show, it is interesting these other shows are being rebooted & are taking the risk.

I personally think all 7 of them are GREAT actors. I personally miss seeing them in a big landform like when they were on Miami Vice played a big part as to why I was interested in a reboot or at least one movie special. Never could any other actors replace any of them but at least to seem them re-appear to close the chapter to certain stories such as Rico Tubbs, Jr./Carldone & certain things like that I personally felt would be interesting. I felt it would make those original actors to feel important like a new generation would like to see them & have thought about them. But hey at least Don is doing fine & Eddie Olmos. Keep the rest in the past. Plus Michael Mann is the real center of Miami Vice, it probably would NEVER agree to it as he is doing very well. I doubt there would ever be a way for someone else to try & even reboot or do a film with the original actors with new actors for Miami Vice so, leaving it in the past is probably the realistic way of accepting Vice.

I think few of those original cast members are able to make appearances on some other shows & movies. & maybe not all of them would want to do Miami Vice again. Of course I wouldn't expect them to be able to run & jump & shoot like they were able to 25-30 years ago. But to have them as mentors & be around with a new generation of actors as their kids, nieces &/or nephews, helping out was my vision. However, majority rules & if majority of hardcore Miami Vice want to leave it in the past & would not want to see those original 7 acting in Miami Vice again nor a reboot, it is best to just let it be. I am just expressing my point of view.

Hopefully this Miami Vice Reboot will happen with Don and PMT

That is my dream too, but I am also trying to be realistic. At least if Don was being honest last year, it is comforting to know Don was considering it & for years has been wanting to actually work with PMT again.

We all know C&T were at the end of their ropes and they were (at least Crockett was) majorly burned out from the job but since when did that ever prevent Hollywood from developing another story that brought a show back together again? Happens all the time in this business but I guess some folks just can't see beyond the final show. Personally, and I know I've already stated this in earlier posts, I would love to see everybody come together again for whatever the reason may be. I really don't care why, I'd just like to see them appear together again, and yeah, there were more than just a few unanswered questions among other things in the show that were never addressed. I always thought it strange they didn't have a proper send-off for C&T after they decided to quit. I know they quit and everything but Christ almighty, you'd think as long as they did that job their closest work mates would have thrown one final bash before fading out of existence for all time. Instead these two guys had some chance meeting at Crockett's marina where they simply shake hands and Crockett simply say's "I'm gonna miss ya man...",  and THIS was their send-off?

Okay, I get it this is how they wrote the episode and everything but these people, these characters, had a few select CLOSE friends...  people they worked with within OCB and other people they truly relied upon in their day-to-day jobs. For example, what became of Izzy & Manny? and What about Noogie? I always wondered about these characters, and although they weren't part of the regular cast, Izzy certainly appeared in more than a fair-share of episodes and it almost pisses me off that they just blew these characters off by never mentioning them again. I always thought had there been a final party in the show to say goodbye to C&T, they probably would have invited Izzy and maybe even Noogie, and I'm sure (or at least hopeful) Manny would have tagged along - and speaking of Manny, this poor guy was never even mentioned in the credits yet he too appeared in a select few episodes. Granted, he never uttered a single word but he was part of what made Izzy's character so funny and entertaining. That said, I also know some people couldn't stand Izzy and felt he was to Miami Vice what Jar-Jar Binks was to Star Wars, which I completely disagree with. However, the fact remains these people were strangely left out of the whole goodbye process and I just wish they too could somehow be reunited. I know good and well Izzy did appear in the final episode but once again it comes back to the point that there was no real "goodbye" for certain characters and, call me a old softy, but that always made me rather sad. I don't know... maybe it's just me and if that's the case then just disregard everything I said here but I'm hoping other fans share my sentiments and maybe feel the same way I do and would like to see them reunite via a reboot or by whatever means brings them all together again. I for one would love to see ol' Manny after all these years   :)

I can agree with so much of what you are saying and I loved Izzy & Noogman too! Only thing though if Miami Vice ever was brought back there will have to be a replacement for Noogman because the original one is no longer with us. Izzy I've seen recent pictures of him & in my opinion he looks great! I think he still has the talent to do his character again. & it would be awesome to have the reboot to help answer many of the "left you hanging" stories in the original show. At create a better closed chapter(s) than what we have now. Many of the actors from the show that I have seen still look great! & all of them are very talented, so there is no doubt they could do it. It all depends on everyone else, the fans, the creators, the actors, legalization, & etc. That is something we all have to be realistic about. For now, we will have to settle with our own creative ideas & fantasies.

• Administrators

Noogie got married, so we could have Noogie Jr.

They just need to create a story arc which brings some old characters back, and brings in some new ones (for the long run, because there aren't 60 year old Vice cops).

Maybe we should start writing a script.

*takes place before Rico Jr comes into the picture*

Billy Crockett: We need to find someone with ears on the street...

Sonny: I might know a guy... Haven't seen him in 25 years though...

Rico: You talkin' 'bout Izzy?

Sonny: Jou got it mang.

*next scene*

*Sonny walks in building with Billy and Rico*

Sonny: Izzy, old pal...

*Izzy looking surprised to see Sonny after all these years, something comedic in Izzy fashiln, like trying to sit on a table, table breaks*

S-s-Sonny... What brings you here?

Sonny: "Thought you might have a line on a Columbian coke dealer killing cops"

Izzy: Hey... Hey, man. I'm retired mang, alright?

Billy: You better give us something, pal...

Sonny: Hang on, I got this.

*Sonny flashes cash*

Izzy: "...But there might be someone by the name of... Calderone..."

Rico: Calderone!?

*pause, and next scene in OCB*

searching the name Calderone in computers, they find out that there's a street cop who goes by the name Ricardo Calderone. They find out that he's related to THE Calderone's from the first season. They have a chat, turns out this Ricardo Calderone hates his drug dealing family and volunteers to help take them down.

Somewhere along the line they find out that he's Tubbs' son. Then after a job well done they pull some strings to get him promoted to Vice, becoming Billy Crockett's partner.

I don't know, I wrote this because I'm bored. Not bad though, huh? All this off the top of my head in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

AMEN!

I am an 80s lover... And music, tv, life, and Miami are not the same.  It's a whole different world (or ballgame, Sonny would probably say) nowadays.  I love everything 80s and the essence of that decade.  I'd hate to see Sonny in some modern skinny suit driving some new piece of crap car.

The cast is old now, the world is different, the show ran its run and gave us five great seasons.

I guess the biggest thing is that it's not the 80s anymore.  I never even lived back then, but the time had everything to do with awesomeness of the show.

Edited by AndrewRemington