The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Official Trailer #1 (2015)

Yann529

It will be interesting to see if this movie follows the original style and flow of the 60s TV series, as the original show was intended to be a TV version of the James Bond movies of the day. The name and character Napoleon Solo was even developed by none other than Ian Fleming, the author of the Bond novels. Solo was charming and suave like Bond, but nowhere near as edgy or as tough. His counterpart in the series Kuryakin was more reserved and cerebral. But where was Mr Waverly?

Thankfully Henry Cavill was cast in the role instead of Tom Cruise, who was originally intended for the part...and that would have been enough reason for me to not see the movie. Hopefully it will not be campy and instead will be a more realistic version of 60s cold war spyjinks than some of the original series episodes.

Open Channel D for those who remember. :)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

hmm you know I would be up for another Ipcress or Funeral in Berlin really (I just recently rewatched both of those on VHS FYI) and its kind of funny to think that both actors of the original show are more or less still active to this day.

I wonder if they'll have some token cameo like they so often do with tv shows turned into movies, although usually when that happens its not a good sign about the intengrity of the movie.

although I kinda liked the starsky and hutch movie, as it didnt seem that bad.

oh and I nearly forgot.......... are they're any shots of the custom walther P38's yet that they used on the TV show in this? although it would be far cooler if they did that to the PPK instead this time around, I mean can you imagine a PPK with a scope and 10 round mag? it could be like a new Noisy Cricket from the MIB movies for this.

complete with them getting knocked on their ass when they try to fire it lol

Edited by Kavinsky

Here are some shots of the guns used in MFU and you can buy replicas of them:

http://www.theunclegun.com/u.n.c.l.e.guns.php

The guns in the series were very cool, with a unique silencing device that made the guns sound like they were spitting.

As to Robert Vaughn and David McCallum I think the former is in his 80s now and McCallum can't be far behind. Haven't heard on whether they will make cameos in the new movie, however. I do know Leo G Carroll (Mr Waverly) is long gone now. The early eps have been running on a local channel here and I have watched a number of them recently.  

I also liked Vaughn in Bullitt, one of the classics from the 60s.

I think there are high hopes for this movie to launch a new franchise but that remains to be seen.  I wasn't a big fan of Cavill in Man of Steel, as I found his personality a bit lacking in there. But who knows here.

oh that's where he's from, well you cant blame any of the actors for that stinker, in the same vein you cant blame the guy who played anakin in the star wars prequels.

you blame the director and the screen writer above all else

Again Hollywood is running out of original ideas!

I hate to poo-poo on this but I really liked the" Man from Uncle" when it was popular on tv in the 60's. When I was a kid back then, I even got a cool xmas gift which was a briefcase that had a folding rifle inside, a real camera, and it came with six plastic bullets which also shot out of the side of the briefcase well as the gun which broke down from a rifle to a handgun. I was just like the one Kuryakin had on the show.

I just watched the movie of the Avengers and although Mrs Peel was quite dolty, and Steed was very campy, the movie was terrible. Just another 60's show destroyed!

I wish Hollywood would give it's head a shake!

• Like 1

well its guy richie though, and well I'm kind of hoping this will fall into the same vein as Lock stock and Snatch, as I love those two films, and well also 1965, meet 2015

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/568396748542095361

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/568522805257461760

Edited by Kavinsky

I also love those movies Lock Stock, and Snatch was absolutely hilarious! Brad Pitt should have got an Oscar for that part.

Edited by Stinger390X

I think when I first heard of this being remade I was like "oh God, here we go again" but seeing the trailer and Guy Ritchie's name attached to it does give me some hope for it. I imagine though it will be more in the vein of Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes movies which I have yet to see but understand are a more comical take on the character.

I just watched the movie of the Avengers and although Mrs Peel was quite dolty, and Steed was very campy, the movie was terrible. Just another 60's show destroyed!

That movie was bad but it did have Sean Connery in a bear suit so there's that.

• 4 weeks later...

Fun fact: They filmed some scenes for this movie at the place I used to work at last year, they had all the old fashioned cars and everything...Guy Ritchie apparently walked onto one of the boats I used to work on, but I missed him by seconds  ;(