Suggestions on how to get Facebook users to visit our Miami Vice fan website

COOPER&BURNETT

I would love to have Facebook users to come to our site and join us! Perhaps they don't know how cool it is co converse with other Miami Vice fans, and to learn about the show?

Bluepearl has been teaching me about Facebook, and how it works. I'm still learning. She has been a great help in getting me to understand that this is the future of the internet.

I've created this thread to ask for your help and suggestions on how to get them to want to visit this site, and how to go about doing it.

Our Miami Vice Facebook users see the headlines of net topics, and a picture if it's in the first page of a new topic, but usually just look at the picture , but don't come here to visit the thread itself.

Can you think of a way that we can get Facebook users to visit this site? 

Let's discuss this.

-COOP

PILOTSHIRTTHUMBSUP_zpsd6f74ae7.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

How about just post the link. It is possible that they aren't aware of the website, or have no interest in Bulletin Boards.

I almost got somebody from YouTube to join, he said he "might join tomorrow", but I don't think he ever came. :(

• Like 1

That might work. It's simple, but it might work. Our MIAMI VICE FACEBOOK page does, in fact, have the link posted on it, but it's soooo small, it's pretty unnoticeable.  If it were in BOLD PRINT, and could not be missed, then yes, this is a great idea!  

Girls and booze!for the guys,and Don with out a shirt for the ladies!  :fireworks: just joking,a big headline showing something like "best Miami Vice fan site in the world with exclusive content which you will not find nowhere else!" well at least I tried to put my brain to work on this  :)

• Like 2

My suggestion is to post a topic headline, like I just did for this thread, that actually talks to the facebook users. Then, instead of posting a picture, the "picture" I post is actually a message to the facebook readers via an image. They won't see a picture, but a written statement, on how we would really like them to join here.

That's my suggestion.

• Like 1

Girls and booze!for the guys,and Don with out a shirt for the ladies!  :fireworks: just jocking,a big headline showing something like "best Miami Vice fan site in the world with exclusive content which you will not find nowhere else!" well at least I tried to put my brain to work on this  :)

Another great idea!  The more ideas the better, as I'll use them all!  Great suggestion Victor!

• Like 1

LET'S CREATE A COLLAGE !

A PHOTO collage they can't escape to read !

Show in this collage much RARE stuff (but impossible to copy - so with overlayers) !

A simple...pfff... advertising wall paper with less (they have NO time) but catchy content.

This not posted as twitterfeed - no this directly at MVoFB.
The direkt link to here written below.

At least this as first step.
And if it is only a very small one.

OG !
How I know this: Might join tomorrow .....   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• Administrators

That might work. It's simple, but it might work. Our MIAMI VICE FACEBOOK page does, in fact, have the link posted on it, but it's soooo small, it's pretty unnoticeable.  If it were in BOLD PRINT, and could not be missed, then yes, this is a great idea!  

What about the main Miami Vice facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/NBCMiamiVice)? It has 184,619 likes, if we could get them to advertise this site, that is 184,000+ people that will now be aware of this website.

And that, my pal, is a lot of people.

There is also another Miami Vice page with around 80,000 likes, I think this one is controlled by a fan who posts "Crockett's Theme" once a week and a bunch of images. https://www.facebook.com/MiamiViceTV

But with the NBC one, we could find something interesting on this site, and send the link to them, they will probably share it. A collectable item or something. The ultimate Miami Vice collectable. If they link users to the thread, then that is major exposure for us.

The 80,000 one, being a fan, is more likely to do the favour of sharing the website.

• Administrators

LET'S CREATE A COLLAGE !

A PHOTO collage they can't escape to read !

Show in this collage much RARE stuff (but impossible to copy - so with overlayers) !

A simple...pfff... advertising wall paper with less (they have NO time) but catchy content.

This not posted as twitterfeed - no this directly at MVoFB.

The direkt link to here written below.

At least this as first step.

And if it is only a very small one.

OG !

How I know this: Might join tomorrow ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The word "wall paper" gave me an idea.

A series of wallpapers might be a good idea. I might be able to take snapshots from episodes and then make them like a cartoon poster thing (just like the Grand Theft Auto wallpapers).

Then put a Miami Vice Online logo in the corner.

• Like 1

Well - it is an idea.

We have to start with an example.
This is the very first quickly made one.

With working on this I did notice that an overload with images is not effecting very well to my eyes.

So I stepped back with my idea of showing collectibles or similar by our website.

It must have a center - it must show what goes easy into eyes.

Sure, the added text has to become worked out to the perfect words.
To me as German this is too hard.

We should work together on the correct text.

21026304td.jpg

@ James - I like your idea, if you would the time to create one and show us it would be cool  :thumbsup:

Edited by bluepearl
  • Like 4

• Administrators

Hi,

I just want to let you know how our Facebook account works.

As Coop already said, every new thread is posted on Facebook automatically using dlvr.it The RSS feed is used to detect new threads and posts the topic headline and (if available) a picture and a link to our site over here. If the thread does not have a picture our website banner is used instead. Just take a look at the screenshot.

post-3-0-41536800-1424190248_thumb.jpg

So every Facebook post has a direct link to our website here. Because of this I don't think we need some special banners etc. We'd have to use the banner in EVERY! new thread we post here in order to appear on Facebook. I don't want this.

What I just did: found out that we can create a "call to action" button on Facebook. I created a button called "Register" or "Registrieren" in German. So if you click the button you are directed to our main website over here.

Our website link is available on our Facebook site so there are many ways to come to our website.

And if our Facebook users click on the link and come to our website and they don't register - maybe the do not want to register? Thought about this already?

Sure, it looks good if we had some 100000+ registered users. But to be honest - if only 50-100 are active members I don't need the other 99000 registered users.

If we want more (active) members here, maybe we should think about how to make our website/community that interesting that visitors register and become members?

• Like 2

Perfectly explained Caipi,

As the person who started the Facebook and Twitter account, I struggled to get a good approach:

1. Only post a link and people will never click it
  2. Give some content and a pic and then will be tempted to join our beloved site

I believe we should create teasers. Post on facebook content which will trigger people to want more. They will only get that when visiting our site.

Coop you can do that for instance by posting to the facebook site directly. Ofcourse I can help you out on the how.

I'm out.

I'm out too.

To push the reins of a horse in an enthusiastic joyful run can bring the rider quickly to bottom.
The rider sits on top to guide and to bring home the win. 
He has to guide with all psychological knowledge if he does not want to crash.
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Well - it is an idea.

We have to start with an example.

This is the very first quickly made one.

With working on this I did notice that an overload with images is not effecting very well to my eyes.

So I stepped back with my idea of showing collectibles or similar by our website.

It must have a center - it must show what goes easy into eyes.

Sure, the added text has to become worked out to the perfect words.

To me as German this is too hard.

We should work together on the correct text.

21026304td.jpg

@ James - I like your idea, if you would the time to create one and show us it would be cool  :thumbsup:

This is incomplete, but I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

977ad9507c.jpg

I still have some skills to learn. A snapshot of an episode, then photoshopped to look like a "pin up" thing, with a logo and URL.

When complete, hopefully they'll be good enough for people to save to their computers and use as a wallpaper, then out of curiosity they'll want to find out what Miami Vice Online is.  :thumbsup:

5 points if you guess the episode. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

Did I miss somerhing? What's wrong?

All I did was to explain how our Facebook account works and that there are links to our forum in every Facebook post.

I also explained that I created a Register Button in our Facebook site. And yes I wrote that I don't want 100000+ phantom users who are registered here and never Seen again. What's wrong with that?

Just my opinion so no need to be offended.

We can talk about how to get more active members. Also you can post directly in our FB account what you want. All I tried to say was that I'm not dying just to get new members.

• Like 3

James... OMG :D 

You've hit on the spot for what I was wishing!
I wished for a center person in a best known scene - not many small tickets glued together !!

IT IS PERFECT ! :happy: 
For whatever it now will become used...
I am thrilled and like it MUCH !!!!! 

Wonderful creation !!!  Big praise to you !
You just saved my mood  :thumbsup:

If I may ask you for that - yes, go for it. You have my full interest and happiness  :done:

• Like 1

• Administrators

James... OMG :D 

You've hit on the spot for what I was wishing!

I wished for a center person in a best known scene - not many small tickets glued together !!

IT IS PERFECT ! :happy: 

For whatever it now will become used...

I am thrilled and like it MUCH !!!!! 

Wonderful creation !!!  Big praise to you !

You just saved my mood  :thumbsup:

If I may ask you for that - yes, go for it. You have my full interest and happiness  :done:

Thanks for the feedback! 

Later I'll look for some better ways of doing it so it looks more professional. 

• Administrators

Did I miss somerhing? What's wrong?

All I did was to explain how our Facebook account works and that there are links to our forum in every Facebook post.

I also explained that I created a Register Button in our Facebook site. And yes I wrote that I don't want 100000+ phantom users who are registered here and never Seen again. What's wrong with that?

Just my opinion so no need to be offended.

We can talk about how to get more active members. Also you can post directly in our FB account what you want. All I tried to say was that I'm mit dying just to get new members.

I don't think we'll have 100,000 inactive accounts, we aren't going to be forcing or telling them all to sign up.

They will visit the site, they might look around, but only those who want to reply to a topic and/or are interested in getting involved would bother registering. And they will check again later to see if they have a reply to their post, that's how it starts.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don't think we'll have 100,000 inactive accounts, we aren't going to be forcing or telling them all to sign up.

They will visit the site, they might look around, but only those who want to reply to a topic and/or are interested in getting involved would bother registering. And they will check again later to see if they have a reply to their post, that's how it starts.

OK, I got that. ;)

But what's different to what I said? Everyone who's interested can link from Facebook to our website with the link that comes with the Facebook post. And who's interested in joining our community can already do so. "Advertising" our site on Facebook means we have to pay for it. Another thing is to post "Facebook only" content directly on Facebook to get attention?

But as I said previously: we have >5.500 registered members. And how many of them are active members (=visiting the site regularls and posting)? Let's think about how we can activate them.

And if someone is registered here or reading our Facebook posts and is not going to register over here (for whatever reasons)... that's just the way it is.

• Administrators

OK, I got that. ;)

But what's different to what I said? Everyone who's interested can link from Facebook to our website with the link that comes with the Facebook post. And who's interested in joining our community can already do so. "Advertising" our site on Facebook means we have to pay for it. Another thing is to post "Facebook only" content directly on Facebook to get attention?

But as I said previously: we have >5.500 registered members. And how many of them are active members (=visiting the site regularls and posting)? Let's think about how we can activate them.

And if someone is registered here or reading our Facebook posts and is not going to register over here (for whatever reasons)... that's just the way it is.

Yes, I understand, but the MVO facebook page mainly only has members of this website following it. We're talking about getting the site exposure, to the many Vice fans around the world who might want a community but don't know about it.

But if you don't want the exposure (since it is your website), I'm sure we can all respect that.

On pretty much all of the forums I am on, only about 1 in every 100-200 members are active posters anyway, I think it's just one of those things. 

For getting current members active - The Admin CP should have a thing for emailing inactive users to remind them about the website. There is also a feature to prune members, deleting all inactive members, those who signed up and have never posted. Which you are probably already aware of.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I still have some skills to learn. A snapshot of an episode, then photoshopped to look like a "pin up" thing, with a logo and URL.

When complete, hopefully they'll be good enough for people to save to their computers and use as a wallpaper, then out of curiosity they'll want to find out what Miami Vice Online is.  :thumbsup:

5 points if you guess the episode. 

This looks quite good! And reminded me of something I created about ten (10!!!) years ago. Then I used Outlook which had the option to use own pictures and wallpapers as stationary. I just found about 60 of these MV stationaries on my PC. Here is one which I upscaled to 1920x1080px and branded it with a logo. If you're interested I can adapt the others for facebook or this page as well.

Speaking of the Logo: The logo I created for the MV cups is in use on Facebook, but it looks completely different to the logo on our board website here. We should keep an eye on the corporate design. It's not obvious that the facebook page and the website are "the same". I still have the Logo on my PC, I once created. So if you need help or support for the logo branding, just let me know.

But please PM me, since I don't come here daily. Thanks

post-85-0-12014700-1424247073_thumb.jpg

• Like 1