Suggestions on how to get Facebook users to visit our Miami Vice fan website

COOPER&BURNETT

• Administrators

OK, maybe I misunderstood something in the discussion.

It's good if there are new members joining our community, no matter if the come via Facebook, Google or something else. I thought of all those members who liked other FB sites (some MV Facebook site has more then 100000 likes). That's why I was taking about a lot of "phantom members" we don't need. Joining the community and never seen again... this is something we don't need.

And that's why I was talking about what to do to make our community interesting for visitors to join. That could be some SEO (search enging optimization) to climb in Google, Yahoo and other search engine rankings, that could be of course some (more?) Facebook activity, limitations here on our forum (for examples visitors can only read the first few words of a post and have to regsiter in order to read the full thread...)? I don't know what#s the right way. Maybe it's a mixture of different activities we can do to attract more attention and to get new members.

So I'm not against attracting new members. I apologize if this is what you were thinking of.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It's good if there are new members joining our community, no matter if the come via Facebook, Google or something else. I thought of all those members who liked other FB sites (some MV Facebook site has more then 100000 likes). That's why I was taking about a lot of "phantom members" we don't need. Joining the community and never seen again... this is something we don't need.

And that's why I was talking about what to do to make our community interesting for visitors to join. That could be some SEO (search enging optimization) to climb in Google, Yahoo and other search engine rankings, that could be of course some (more?) Facebook activity, limitations here on our forum (for examples visitors can only read the first few words of a post and have to regsiter in order to read the full thread...)? I don't know what#s the right way. Maybe it's a mixture of different activities we can do to attract more attention and to get new members.

So I'm not against attracting new members. I apologize if this is what you were thinking of.

We can use our website banner as title image on Facebook instead of the Miami skyline pic we have right now. Don't know if we have to scale our banner to fit on our Facebook site?!?

• Administrators

I think the SEO is fine as it is. Whenever I search for something in particular Miami Vice related, a thread here is usually the top result.

• Administrators

Second attempt, tried a different way, looks quite better. Still need to figure out how to smooth it all out. 

4c4d931ede.jpg

This looks quite good! And reminded me of something I created about ten (10!!!) years ago. Then I used Outlook which had the option to use own pictures and wallpapers as stationary. I just found about 60 of these MV stationaries on my PC. Here is one which I upscaled to 1920x1080px and branded it with a logo. If you're interested I can adapt the others for facebook or this page as well.

Speaking of the Logo: The logo I created for the MV cups is in use on Facebook, but it looks completely different to the logo on our board website here. We should keep an eye on the corporate design. It's not obvious that the facebook page and the website are "the same". I still have the Logo on my PC, I once created. So if you need help or support for the logo branding, just let me know.

But please PM me, since I don't come here daily. Thanks

That logo in your attachment looks really, good. I might recreate that. 

I was using "Rage Italic" for the "Online" part, I wanted to make a connection to GTA Vice City, but it does look awkward. :)

Surprisingly but honest - I liked the previous one more.

I want to explain.
This shows the effort :thumbsup: - no question, only this comes already very close to the original.

The colors now are much better, the specificities are too good.

Walking on this way - I have in my mind a fully new kind to show scenes. Let me name it 'Modern Art'.
The best scenes by the 80s - covered in a new look what makes clear about what it is going but in a definite new coat.

OMG - this English drives me nuts whenever I want to explain such things.

• Administrators

Surprisingly but honest - I liked the previous one more.

I want to explain.

This shows the effort :thumbsup: - no question, only this comes already very close to the original.

The colors now are much better, the specificities are too good.

Walking on this way - I have in my mind a fully new kind to show scenes. Let me name it 'Modern Art'.

The best scenes by the 80s - covered in a new look what makes clear about what it is going but in a definite new coat.

OMG - this English drives me nuts whenever I want to explain such things.

Hmm... I see now. Something in between the two should be perfect then.

• Like 1

:D What a nice .png  ;)  ;)

I like it better  :thumbsup:, YES !!!

What you see will be an optical illusion released because of the eyebrows.
I know this image in original. Only the almost frightened face expression pushes the eyebrows in this prominent foreground.
One gets distracted and the brain fixes the brows as eyes.

If at all -because to me it is not as prominent affecting- small the brows or use another image were any relaxed face is shown for an easier test.

Sonny is looking in this with his glance anyway like a wolf on the hunt.

These eyes are not realistic - although the entire image is pretty good.

Look even the grey and color mixed variant pushes Don like 3D in the foreground.
The same happens in your edit with the brows.

21036292gx.jpg

• Administrators

Yeah, I might redo the whole thing properly tomorrow. I was just testing a few things.

I've learnt that the best way of doing it is to cut out the object before applying the filter to it.

But there is a proper way of doing it, hopefully I can find some tutorials on Google. Tomorrow, because it's past midnight here.

That looks awesome, great job. I would definitely use that as my desk top wallpaper. Can you do more? A shot of the scarab would be cool  :cool:

and I think the eps One eyed jack right?

This is incomplete, but I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

977ad9507c.jpg

I still have some skills to learn. A snapshot of an episode, then photoshopped to look like a "pin up" thing, with a logo and URL.

When complete, hopefully they'll be good enough for people to save to their computers and use as a wallpaper, then out of curiosity they'll want to find out what Miami Vice Online is.  :thumbsup:

5 points if you guess the episode. 

Second attempt, tried a different way, looks quite better. Still need to figure out how to smooth it all out. 

4c4d931ede.jpg

That logo in your attachment looks really, good. I might recreate that. 

I was using "Rage Italic" for the "Online" part, I wanted to make a connection to GTA Vice City, but it does look awkward. :)

If we're going to do something like this, I'm attracted to this one.  I think the coloring is fantastic, or maybe I'm just drawn to DJ automatically...LOL!   :)   Nice work James!

• Administrators

On pretty much all of the forums I am on, only about 1 in every 100-200 members are active posters anyway, I think it's just one of those things. 

For getting current members active - The Admin CP should have a thing for emailing inactive users to remind them about the website. There is also a feature to prune members, deleting all inactive members, those who signed up and have never posted. Which you are probably already aware of.

First let me say that I have never been on facebook and most likely never will. Social media is not my thing.  That being said I believe no matter what we do things will pretty much stay the same. As long as I've been doing the moderator thing there has always been one constant. The majority of new members never even post once!  Check the members list if you don't believe me.  We have, as mentioned above, thousands of members but a handful who visit and or post daily.  If people truly want to join our site, then just the simplest mention of us on facebook will do the job. If people don't want to join, no amount of advertising will persuade them.  I could use myself as an example. No amount of advertising here could get me on facebook. I believe when it comes to joining or not joining, most people's minds are already made up.

Also, pruning inactive members would be a bad move.  If nothing else, seeing thousands of members, even if only in numbers, is more of a draw to our site than a few hundred, which is exactly what you'll have if you prune members.

• Like 3

• Administrators

First let me say that I have never been on facebook and most likely never will. Social media is not my thing.  That being said I believe no matter what we do things will pretty much stay the same. As long as I've been doing the moderator thing there has always been one constant. The majority of new members never even post once!  Check the members list if you don't believe me.  We have, as mentioned above, thousands of members but a handful who visit and or post daily.  If people truly want to join our site, then just the simplest mention of us on facebook will do the job. If people don't want to join, no amount of advertising will persuade them.  I could use myself as an example. No amount of advertising here could get me on facebook. I believe when it comes to joining or not joining, most people's minds are already made up.

Also, pruning inactive members would be a bad move.  If nothing else, seeing thousands of members, even if only in numbers, is more of a draw to our site than a few hundred, which is exactly what you'll have if you prune members.

That's what I tried to express with one of my previous posts. Every idea how to improve our community is appreciated. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

We will not prune inactive members. Why? We can't force registered members to post once a day. And if we would do so I don't want to know what bullsh** some users would post :D 

It's up to everyone himself if he will join our community and contribute posts/ideas... or not. 

So, once again, let's think about what we can do to make mvonline more interesting that it is now to re-activate already registered members and to gain new members, no matter if they come via Facebook, Google, personal suggestions or whatever.

• Like 3

I totally agree with Caipi and Ferrariman.

It's more important to bring the old MV gang back together right here.

If we keep the MIAMI VICE train rolling i believe more and more users will return and jump on it.

The return of our great friend COOP gave us a big push forward.

And if we gain some new members as well that's great.

Edited by Christian
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Another reason to not prune members is that some members register so they can access certain sections of the site but have no interest in posting comments. If we prune members who don't post then we are shutting out part of our membership. Members can also login anonymously so we never even know they're here. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Thanks to the suggestions and discussions about Facebook etc. I took a closer look at our Facebook account. 

So I found out that it's possible to stick posts at the top of the FB timeline. Didn't know this is possible so far.

So I created a post inviting FB visitors to join our community. Just wrote what came to my mind.

I added our website banner.

Of course we could change the pic and add something like Coop or bluepearl mentioned earlier in this thread.

And as english is not my native language - if you have suggestions for another wording please let me know and I'll change it.

I attached a screenshot of what I wrote so far.

post-3-0-69979000-1424471030_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Just added 

MiamiViceOnline only stuff (that can't be found here on our Facebook site)

to the text above to show the benefits for registered members in comparison to our Facebook account.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I didnt know there is a competing Vice group ? this is the best :D:D

I don't think they are competing........I know Phanie Napoli ( Angelina ), Saundra Santiago ( Gina ) Olivia Brown ( Trudy ) and others are on Facebook. They post music and things about Miami Vice.

I don't go on Facebook that often.