Episode #102 "Jack Of All Trades"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

The plot was OK but the crappy music really killed the whole ep. for me.I give it a whopping 3 and that is generous!

Like most episodes in season 5 it sucked, I dont know what happened after the 3rd or so episode in season 4 but after that w/ few exceptions they were bad IMOId say maybe a 4 and Im being generous

I just hated the music in this episode, it didn't match the film at all! I had to turn the volume down whenever that awful soundtrack appeared. Besides, that Jack is a real sleazoid, he looks good only in that rat costume when you can't see his face!On the other hand, this episode contains one of my favourite quotes, when Rico asks Sonny, "So how come you never talk about him?", Crockett replies: "Do you ever talk about dandruff?" This is just what I could (and do) say about my own cousins!:D:D:D 5/10 - because I just can't rate any "Miami Vice" episode any lower. :)

Posted: May 10 2008 at 11:11am I find this episode to be an escape from the darker Seas. 4 & 5 episodes. Jack is a detestable person, with no scruples about even getting his cousin involved in his bad deals. I am impressed at how easily he can improvize a false story to cover any situation. eg. the pool vac, the house with covered furniture, the clothes he stole, etc. You have to admit, he's quick with the lies! I love the colorful clothes they all wear, Jack & the mobsters, especially Grubbs, who also was in "Golden Triangle" with Castillo. Unlike Nancy, I found it believable when Crockett & Jack both punched the bodyguard, since they had time to plan it in that locked room. Remember, this is a comic episode. Nice cars and especially, a beautiful mansion thet looked like Viscaya Gardens that Escuedero owned! He was weird with his obsession with Shakespear. I have the album, "Bach's Greatest Hits" with the Swingle Singers. The classical musicians on the album cover are wearing sunglasses. Hence, the Miami Vice connection for music & comedy! I would watch this episode to unwind & get some laughs along with a few good shootouts. I rate it 7/10.

• Like 1

Guest neworder

Apart from the ridiculous music, this episode is actually not all as bad as some make it out to be in my opinion. It's at-least amusing in parts and the story semi-original for a Miami Vice episode. It's also a bit of a welcome break from the dark Season 5, don't get me wrong I love the dark style of S5, but the odd lighter episode always helped Miami Vice plod along ... shame season 4 had 2 too many humorous episodes. I would watch this again and I have done.6/10

This episode is actually one of the first MV eps i have seen. Beside the nostalgic feel, i really like this one. The fast-paced oddball music in the beginning (actually throughout the episode) really sets the goofy mood, which in my opinion really fits in with Jack's personality and this episode on the whole. Pretty interesting story of a two-bit hustler. OK support cast although i hated John Santucci's character (Grubbs) and the over-dramatic acting of Jesse Borrego (Escondero). I love Jack's antics which save and make this episode. Too bad no Tubbs, but at this point of the series you almost didn't realize that something was missing. One of my favorite episodes in S5.Solid 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching it on TV right now.. Man, I almost forgot how CRAPPY that music was.. But it's something that really sticks.. for all the wrong reasons! :rolleyes: 3/10

• 2 weeks later...

I give this a vote right down the middle with a 5. Like some have noted, I also found the music backdrop did not befit an episode of Vice very well. But It did, along with ep itself, provide for some giggles here and there, lol.

• 2 years later...

This episode was pretty weak and ridiculous...and Jack annoyed the heck out of you :evil:...but he was supposed to.The stupid, irritating music throughout this one is what mainly ruined it for me though! Oh man, that "grated" on my nerves every time that choir-like chanting melody was played--I wanted to scream! :rolleyes:But, I really did love the colors and lighting used...the pastels were beautiful, and if it wasn't for such a poor plot and "cornball" music used, I'd of thought I was watching a Season 2 episode! That aspect of this one was actually enjoyable and pretty cool! :thumbsup:But, overall this one was one of Season 5's not-so-great ones. I gave it a 4, and that's probably being pretty nice. ;) If it wasn't for the colors/fashion/lighting used I'd of probably given this one a 2 or 3.

• 2 weeks later...

But, I really did love the colors and lighting used...the pastels were beautiful, and if it wasn't for such a poor plot and "cornball" music used, I'd of thought I was watching a Season 2 episode! That aspect of this one was actually enjoyable and pretty cool! :thumbsup:But, overall this one was one of Season 5's not-so-great ones. I gave it a 4, and that's probably being pretty nice. ;) If it wasn't for the colors/fashion/lighting used I'd of probably given this one a 2 or 3.

I agree that the visuals and locations were awesome! The colors and filming locals were amazing...but the episode itself was so ridiculous and annoying! :rolleyes: I was really disappointed that they chose to use such superb visuals with such a weak episode. :evil:

Ah well - thats why we love this site - valid opinions on all subjects :done::thumbsup::D

• 1 year later...

I fail to understand why so many people bash this episode. As far as the light-hearted comedy episodes go, this one is my favorite. It is so funny. I especially like the scene where Sonny drops a beer can into the car. I double up laughing every time I see this. The main baddie was extremely goofy-looking and added to the enjoyment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I fail to understand why so many people bash this episode. As far as the light-hearted comedy episodes go, this one is my favorite. It is so funny. I especially like the scene where Sonny drops a beer can into the car. I double up laughing every time I see this. The main baddie was extremely goofy-looking and added to the enjoyment.

Another problem plaguing Season 5: cartoonish bad guys. They were comical even in the darker, serious episodes. They were a far, far cry from the Calderones and other assorted dealers from Season 1. The worst was the episode with the pompous British drug dealer and his foo-foo dog.

Edited by Spyder
  • Like 1

I think the screenwriter, the director & whole crew were on dope when they shot that. 

Also remember the dwarf with the foo foo dog. He would fit in a story with elf and pixies....

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

It was an average episode.  The highlights of the episode was having a character from Crockett's youth to give more clarity about him, the bonding between him and his cousin at the street, and the humorous lies Jack kept on piling up on top of each other.  Just before Jack suggested it after they both met with Escandero, I could see how both of them shared sharp wit, were shrewd and adaptable to their environments, and if Jack had stronger morals, could actually see him and Sonny being police officers working together.

It was a light-hearted break from so much of the heaviness we are witnessing from Crockett, Tubbs, (and from the previous episode in "Miami Squeeze") seeing Castillo in such a rare fragile state.  The score in using those vocal singers was a poor choice because it conveyed too light of an emotional tone, plus Escandero's flamboyant dressing and literary quotes were sometimes too humorous to take seriously.  In comparison, it made El Gato from "Hostile Takeover" and "Redemption in Blood" seem a more serious drug lord to contend with since at least he wasn't quoting English literature.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Nice to have a more humorous episode once in a while.

Jack was annoying but I loved seeing Crockett on edge because of him.

Love the filming locations and colors. Most notably the restaurant where Crockett was waiting outside.

Love the scene at Escanderos place where Crockett keeps hitting Jack.

The music not so much.

Just don't take it too seriously.

7/10

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Its an okay episode, nothing special. I found the music to be fitting for the episode and character of Jack, a nice break from the contemporary stuff. I like John Santucci but man, he's quite over the top here. Maybe its an attempt at distinguishing this role from his previous two? Also found the English Literature -teacher-gone-drug dealer to be funny.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the idea of creating a cousin to Crockett is good. the idea of creating a paradoxal relationship between the two cousins is good too, i think. but the cousin personnality is getting on one's nerves. i mean, he's so dumb :). love the mysterious Escandero too. the Stretched Lagonda is a very rare car, maybe the only one of its kind

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

the idea of creating a cousin to Crockett is good. the idea of creating a paradoxal relationship between the two cousins is good too, i think. but the cousin personnality is getting on one's nerves. i mean, he's so dumb :). love the mysterious Escandero too. the Stretched Lagonda is a very rare car, maybe the only one of its kind

Great episode and car!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2013 at 12:06 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This episode was pretty weak and ridiculous...and Jack annoyed the heck out of you :evil:...but he was supposed to.The stupid, irritating music throughout this one is what mainly ruined it for me though! Oh man, that "grated" on my nerves every time that choir-like chanting melody was played--I wanted to scream! :rolleyes:But, I really did love the colors and lighting used...the pastels were beautiful, and if it wasn't for such a poor plot and "cornball" music used, I'd of thought I was watching a Season 2 episode! That aspect of this one was actually enjoyable and pretty cool! :thumbsup:But, overall this one was one of Season 5's not-so-great ones. I gave it a 4, and that's probably being pretty nice. ;) If it wasn't for the colors/fashion/lighting used I'd of probably given this one a 2 or 3.

I agree, this was a weak and ridiculous episode, and Jack was annoying as heck!  

It did have light, comic moments and a madcap comedy kind of pace.  Would never say I liked it but it's something of a relief from the very dark mood of most of S5.  3-4 is a fair rating.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not a bad episode...just not that great.  One point I will make is that there is a pretty epic shot of Crockett outside the Fairmont when he's waiting on Jack.  Pink light...neon light...white sportcoat...  I'll dare say that Crockett's never looked cooler!!  I'd take a screenshot but I'm completely useless with stuff like that.

• Like 2