Episode #102 "Jack Of All Trades"

Ferrariman

8 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I'd take a screenshot but I'm completely useless with stuff like that.

For screenshots I use VLC media player (for free). It´s quite comfortable. Under "video" (I presume it´s in English called "video" as well) you can choose a button for screenshots. That´s it.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

The episode is great for Crockett threatening to straight up beat the hell out of somebody. And a family member, to boot.

Yeah, I got a good laugh at that.

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A welcome screwball diversion in the midst of season 5. It almost feels like a backdoor pilot: "'Jack of All Trades - David Andrews is Jack Crockett, lovable ne'er-do-well who gets himself involved in hilarious jams every week!!"  

It's also good to see John Santucci again - it always feels like Michael Mann Land when he's around. 

And, cheese whiz, the people on this forum need to get musically educated.  Not liking the music of J.S. Bach? You philistines you! :D To be fair, the jazzed-up Swingle versions might be an acquired taste.:radio:

Was that a shout-out to the Al Pacino Scarface when Soliz said, "cock-a-roach?"

Probably only Jesse Borrego could make his Elizabethan extra-long sleeves look cool. :)

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 5:34 PM, RedDragon86 said:

If that wasn't Jack's place how did OCB have the phone number to contact Sonny? ?(

...one of the episode goofs i suppose

vor 43 Minuten schrieb sdiegolo78:

...one of the episode goofs i suppose

I thought that too, but later I realized that Jack gave his business card to Sonny in the beginning in OCB and it would be Jack´s style to add his private address and/or phone number to his "Mike World of Waves" credentials. Otherwise, Sonny would not have been able to drive to Jack´s home anyway, let alone the phone call afterwards....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I thought that too, but later I realized that Jack gave his business card to Sonny in the beginning in OCB and it would be Jack´s style to add his private address and/or phone number to his "Mike World of Waves" credentials. Otherwise, Sonny would not have been able to drive to Jack´s home anyway, let alone the phone call afterwards....

I think its plausible to assume that place of work address and the number is on the card, plus he didn't really want Sonny there like why was he so nervous if its his place? the number should really be contacted at the pool supply store. To me it just seemed like he broke in like the residents are away on vacation, the reason why maybe the most of the furniture is covered.

Jack really seems out of place there.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

I found this episode very enjoyable and an interesting contrast to the general tone of MV final season. A comical and lighthearted episode was needed after all the events from late S4 and up to that point in S5. Of course, I wouldn't rate this among the most memorable of episodes but it's not as bad as some people make it to be.

This episode was shot at the same time as 'the cell within' so that's why we just see PMT briefly and no EJO or Gina and Trudy.

Jack Crockett is an interesting 'goofball' character with a potential for some spin off (perhaps husltin' with Noggie and Izzy :)), and in complete contrast with his cousin Sonny. I think Sonny kinda guessed it was one his cousin's antics when he got the phone call about the $50K robbery. Who else would be so stupid to walk-in in and rip 50 thousand dollars off a drug dealer in Miami? :) He was also wearing the same shoes again, that's how Soliz recognized him. Bad mistake!

I liked the guest star character actors too. It was great to see John Santucci again and Robert Miranda was a great addiction to this episode. I have seen this actor in other 80s shows (knight rider, TJ hooker and the A-Team) playing different seedy characters.

As with the soundtrack, not a particular fan of swing but it was an interesting change from then usual pop music. Tim Truman music cues were great as usual, giving off that 1989/pre 90s vibe.

This episode overall gets a 6 in my book.

Edited by sdiegolo78

58 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

To me it just seemed like he broke in like the residents are away on vacation, the reason why maybe the most of the furniture is covered.

Jack really seems out of place there.

Yes, and Jack didn't want Sonny to look inside the refrigerator as clearly that wasn't his place of residence. But I guess Sonny kinda knew, he can see through his cousin's bullshits.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Good observation, i must have overlooked that detail.

• 4 months later...

This episode was pretty weak and ridiculous...and Jack annoyed the heck out of you :evil:...but he was supposed to.

The stupid, irritating music throughout this one is what mainly ruined it for me though. That really "grated" on my nerves every time that choir-like chanting melody was played! :rolleyes: 

But, I really did love the colors and lighting used...the pastels were beautiful :glossy:, and if it wasn't for such a poor plot and "cornball" music used, I'd of thought I was watching a Season 2 episode! But, the colors & visual aspects of this one were probably the only enjoyable facets to it. 

Overall this one was one of Season 5's duds. I gave it a 4, and that's probably being pretty nice. ;) If it wasn't for the colors/fashion/lighting used I'd of probably given this one a 2 or 3.

Let's talk about dandruff: all that talk about 'The Lost Madonna' got me to thinking about this episode. Now, 'The Lost Madonna' wasn't as overtly funny as this episode, but Season 5 is pretty hardcore, so I like these two light ones.

Jack Crockett is so full of it that I get a kick out of it ("Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies". Jack Crockett? No way). Also, I dig his mouse mask and pink shoes. What about his made-up girlfriend (geez, glad Jack is standing on a porch..a-lina?)? At least Crocket & Crockett team up for some fisticuffs at the climax there, and it's fitting that Jack takes off with counterfeit money; fake guy, fake cash.

I do like the moment when Jack explains why he didn't want to take Sonny for a ride on his bike; something real from Jack there ("I didn't want to contaminate you Sonny"). Well, he is right about Escandero being a weirdo too:-).

"Sonny, I'm sorry, I failed the family": he he, like a line from "The Godfather".

Now Octavio Escandero, what an eccentric and humorous villain (I enjoy his Shakespeare quotes); I think it's good work by Jesse Borrego there, and two decades later he plays a more subtle & less flamboyant (by a great distance:)), but even more deadly villain in Season 3 of "Dexter", Jorge Orozco aka "The Skinner" or "The Blade" (I like "The Blade" better, as I feel it sounds less weird and more sinisterly mysterious).

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling, missing period
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

A welcome screwball diversion in the midst of season 5. It almost feels like a backdoor pilot: "'Jack of All Trades - David Andrews is Jack Crockett, lovable ne'er-do-well who gets himself involved in hilarious jams every week!!"  

It's also good to see John Santucci again - it always feels like Michael Mann Land when he's around. 

And, cheese whiz, the people on this forum need to get musically educated.  Not liking the music of J.S. Bach? You philistines you! :D To be fair, the jazzed-up Swingle versions might be an acquired taste.:radio:

Was that a shout-out to the Al Pacino Scarface when Soliz said, "cock-a-roach?"

Probably only Jesse Borrego could make his Elizabethan extra-long sleeves look cool. :)

This was my reaction from last year and it still holds. One thing that particularly amused me this round is the image of John Santucci being chased down a mountainside by a big black bear! 

This is a fun one, cuz!

Edited by Jack Gretsky

• 3 months later...

Watched this again last night! Definitely a fun episode :) in the overall bleak S5. Some people ought to lighten up a bit. The music was appropriate for the tone of this particular show. Izzy is an amateur compared to Jack C. when it comes to bullshiting people on the spot. But the Cuban hustler a bit smarter. The whole sequence at Jack's occupied house with Sonny had me laughing really hard. What Jane Porc(h)elina would look like?!?!

By the way, the walking into an unattended house thing i had seen it before in Beverly Hills cop 2. I think this scene is a nod to Eddie Murphy's movie.

My only thing with this episode is, why did Escandero and his goons locked up Sonny and his goofball cousin in a room (pink walls in true MV style)? It felt a bit like an A-Team episode before they plan an escape and turn whatever found in the room into some weapon. Crockett's gun shots sound different from the earlier S5 episodes. Anyone noticed?

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Crockett's gun shots sound different from the earlier S5 episodes. Anyone noticed?

I'd assumed he was using the bad guy's weapon. Hence the different sound

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, apocalypse said:

Horrible episode. Cartoonish storyline, cartoonish characters and the guy who played Jack overacted ridiculously.

Very forgettable.

Agreed...terrible & pointless/ridiculous episode! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, apocalypse said:

Horrible episode. Cartoonish storyline, cartoonish characters and the guy who played Jack overacted ridiculously.

Very forgettable.

Yeah it’s not for everyone. I see it as a more useful pallet cleanser after the more serious Miami Squeeze. I see elements of Saul Goodman in the Jack Crockett character. “Hey Cuz” :D

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

The mall at the beginning is just gorgeous; to the point I Googled and forgot about it.

The hell is Crockett saying to Escondero in the Jack-slapping scene?  It sounds like "mala figura", since they're going for a mafiosi-type thing, but I don't think that's it.  Between this and "The Lost Madonna" teasing that he might not be entirely All-American monoglot, it's fascinating...