Cool Runnin' / Junk Love

Matt5

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

I would expect light poles to change, but not storm drains.  However, one time I found a storm drain that had been eliminated.  I can't remember the details, but I was shocked and really doubted my location find for a while.

In this case I think what happened is adding the left turn lane (3rd lane in this case) not only obviously made the grassy median narrower, but also necessitated relocation of the drain. 

It is interesting to see the same spot from another vantage point in Calderone's Demise. While in the discussed shot the camera is in the middle of the street, there it must have been on the eastern side of Brickell Ave. For reference attached 4 shots, in and out, including 2 looking north at the approaching car, where left turn lanes were also added.

However, these two takes are shot at different times! First, left tail light works in one and doesn't work in the other. But more impressively, note the difference in the number of warning yellow "sharp turn" signs in the median: 5 vs just 3!

It's so hard to recognize this Brickell Ave... still puzzled as to why can't discern any presence of 1428 Brickell and Petit Douy on the way in and out of the scene, respectively.

Episode 4 in.png

Episode 4 out.png

Episode 5 in.png

Episode 5 out.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

here we have a newer aerial of the St. Francis where we can see the state when they filmed there in front of the entrance.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-24 um 22.14.22.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Am 8.1.2022 um 22:41 schrieb Paul Veres:

In this case I think what happened is adding the left turn lane (3rd lane in this case) not only obviously made the grassy median narrower, but also necessitated relocation of the drain. 

It is interesting to see the same spot from another vantage point in Calderone's Demise. While in the discussed shot the camera is in the middle of the street, there it must have been on the eastern side of Brickell Ave. For reference attached 4 shots, in and out, including 2 looking north at the approaching car, where left turn lanes were also added.

However, these two takes are shot at different times! First, left tail light works in one and doesn't work in the other. But more impressively, note the difference in the number of warning yellow "sharp turn" signs in the median: 5 vs just 3!

It's so hard to recognize this Brickell Ave... still puzzled as to why can't discern any presence of 1428 Brickell and Petit Douy on the way in and out of the scene, respectively.

Episode 4 in.png

Episode 4 out.png

Episode 5 in.png

Episode 5 out.png

Today onsite I convinced @Paul Veresthat this was the right location. Although we didn’t have a Ferrari at hand to fully recreate :)

5E658FED-AF13-4060-A404-25291506979E.jpeg

26E68D4E-574E-4949-81AE-18C89CBA5805.jpeg

and a short movie:

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

On 8/13/2022 at 8:42 PM, Tom said:

Today onsite I convinced @Paul Veresthat this was the right location. Although we didn’t have a Ferrari at hand to fully recreate :)

5E658FED-AF13-4060-A404-25291506979E.jpeg

26E68D4E-574E-4949-81AE-18C89CBA5805.jpeg

and a short movie:

IMG_7029.MOV 15.42 MB · 1 download

@Tom I was convinced half a year ago... the condo buildings' windows/balconies on the left ultimately did it for me, frankly more definitively than the road bend itself. I bet that on you Koch version of the show all these things are just so much easier to make out now!

I did mention something else interesting though when we talked about this waiting for the green light on that intersection. 

There is an establishing shot in the beginning of Cool Running, which CGlide skipped on the episode's page. The same establishing night shot is used two times in Great McCarthy, which CGlide did describe on that episode's page. And it is used in Calderone's Return - Hit List, though the camera comes to it from the opposite side, covered by CGlide in the episode's page (sometimes the link doesn't work, and you have to go to the episode's page Part 1 and then click through to Part 3 which is this link).

The shot shows downtown from the port - see first screenshot.

However, there is a similar establishing night shot used in Calderone's Return - Hit List, which CGlide skipped, and because I haven't seen this particular night time shot elsewhere, unlike the one above which is in multiple episodes, it might be missing altogether from our known locations. I didn't see much location discussion in the episode's thread here, so unsure if this shot was discussed anywhere on the forum. 

That shot is in attached screenshot 2. In the episode it cuts between the nightclub scene and Crockett visiting his wife (at about 39:28). The city in the back is Miami and the shot would be done from the water.

Sooo... is it a missing location? And where is it? Below and pictures 3-4 attached are my investigation - I believe it is from just outside the draw-bridge between downtown and port. If you could pull this from Koch in better quality it would be very helpful!

1. Red rectangle - very certain shape of the bridge support pillars. Searching among the bridges of Biscayne Bay, the only one that has such (and highrises in the back) is the draw-bridge from the downtown to port (State Road 886). Yes, behind it is the larger bridge which was already built at the time, but it's different pillars can plausibly be visually lost in the dark as they are also spaced about 5 times further from each other. You can possibly see them in yellow rectangles. 

2. The big building in the back (green rectangle) might be an amalgamation of the Plaza Venetia hotel (built in 1980) and Biscayne Bay Marriott hotel (built in 1983). 

3. The weird UFO lights in white rectangle might be cranes building the Doubletree Biscayne Bay hotel (built in 1986).

4. Finally, the white highlight in the bottom right corner would be the boat's wake. 

One thing that does throw me off this theory is the railing. Currently the larger bridge doesn't have that metal looking railing that would be on top of it in the video capture, but might be just a change over the years.

Let me know your thoughts.

Downtown from the port.png

vlcsnap-2022-08-17-21h58m57s364.png

Screenshot marked.png

From Google Maps.jpg

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 1

To start with this is technically an establishing shot filmed by the second unit - most likely at the beginning of filming the first episodes in summer 84 in bulk mode in the same part of town  - and not a normal filming Location.

that said (and even without closer examination with adaptive lightning and the Koch Blu-ray’s I don’t have with me here) I agree with your conclusion that this is the same spot, just filmed behind the port bridge. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Miami Herald Building, March 1984, in Downtown at Herald Plaza \ NE14th st featured in this episode in the teaser, as well as the trailer of the Miami Vice 2006 movie. Today the massive lot is still empty after demolition 9 years ago - there are some rumblings of multi use retail/condo units going here suprise suprise.:)

IMG_6835.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

The two unknown locations left in this episode, the reaggae party where they met Desmond Maxwell and the domino bar (where I have presented a suspect location earlier in this thread), can only be confirmed with the daily location sheets. 

Here comes the catch: I managed to get it, but there is NO location given for the domino bar and the reaggae party that they filmed on one day (Friday 27th July 1984). I´ve never seen something like this, no locations for cast and crew on a location call sheet! We are back to square one despite having the production notes of the day!

You can image my disappointment. The only clue we can derive from these dailies is that they filmed both locations AND the close ups with C&Ts in the car where they listen to the tape in the same area because they started at 5pm to film all these scenes! This would not have worked with company travel (that is also NOT mentioned here on this day) - maybe both unknown locations were in fact only one that was smartly used.

This means we need to find out where this drive (red arrow on first pic) was filmed. This drive is probably NOT the same location as the two other shots of the Ferrari seen speeding (at Brickell/5th and the U-turn in front of 1751 Biscayne/Les Violins, as these two shots were filmed on another day by second units with the doubles and not DJ and PMT!

Otherwise no surprises, we had known all other locations, like the Miami Herald parking lot in the teaser and the Clay Hotel.

One stunner I learnt with the sheets is that Izzy Moreno was supposed to play in this episode, not Noogie. On the domino filming day the name MORENO is mentioned as character instead of Noogie, whereas Noogie is on the later early August dailies.(see red arrow on respective sheets).

See all daily sheets I was able to get (thanks again to a real friend and a cast member for providing this!), 5 days out of 7 days filmed.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-19 um 08.35.41.png

Cool Running 27 Jul84 Kopie.jpeg

Cool Running 2 Aug84.jpg

Cool Running 3 Aug84.jpg

Cool Running 25Jul84.jpg

Cool Running 26Jul84.jpg

Cool running 30 Jul84.jpg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

Wow. Amazing stuff. Could go crazy thinking about Izzy in that role.

Love it all, but particularly the listing of the various "Extras":

2 Hookers - 1 blk 1 latin

1 Wino

2 Bldg maint men

1 Bag lady

10 includes  - 6 beautiful girls, 4 beautiful boys

• Like 1

If I was a gambling man I would bet the location was something already known to the production. Something you wouldn't have to give a location because the location is already noted. Like maybe Domino Park which was also know as Domino Club back in the early 80's when it got all started.

5 hours ago, OCBman said:

Wow. Amazing stuff. Could go crazy thinking about Izzy in that role.

Love it all, but particularly the listing of the various "Extras":

2 Hookers - 1 blk 1 latin

1 Wino

2 Bldg maint men

1 Bag lady

10 includes  - 6 beautiful girls, 4 beautiful boys

Yup!  That’s not that unusual really.  On Baywatch, the call sheets for days on location would have a certain number of bikini girls, athletic guys, etc…. Sometimes it was just a handful, but quite a few episodes needed dozens on certain days.  There would be random ones too like volleyball players, surfers, extra lifeguards.  No hookers, winos, or bag ladies though! :D

• Like 2

(The reaggae party where they met Desmond Maxwell)  @Tom After watching "Cool Runnin" last night I was thinking were there many bars in Miami at the time with wooden decking? and it could be right next to the beach.

Or was it on the beach?

Edited by RedDragon86

vor 38 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

(The reaggae party where they met Desmond Maxwell)  @Tom After watching "Cool Runnin" last night I was thinking were there many bars in Miami at the time with wooden decking? and it could be right next to the beach.

Or was it on the beach?

I don’t think so. This wooden decking is very rare and looks like a quite run down outdoor facility which looks rather downtown than beach like. The buildings next to the deckings have in fact some similarities to the domino bar that was the backroom of a store. And going by the filming plan that day this must have been in one downtown area and definitely not on the beach.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

I don’t think so. This wooden decking is very rare and looks like a quite run down outdoor facility which looks rather downtown than beach like. The buildings next to the deckings have in fact some similarities to the domino bar that was the backroom of a store. And going by the filming plan that day this must have been in one downtown area and definitely not on the beach.

Surely you’ve checked all around Española Way from that era…

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

If it was that easy I would have found it years ago. 

• 6 months later...

Here is St. Francis Hospital with the parking lot (on Allison Island in Miami Beach), where Crockett & Tubbs give Noogie a box of chocolates in exchange for risking his life.

stfrancis.jpg.93c445fb615edbc6a7ba94f5f72af924.jpg

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h49m03s823.png.e8f9ace7668de4f27704fa248ab1fa49.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h49m21s841.png.3904eaa77abdba52cda1c154a2cd00f1.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h41m26s861.png.f28a4003a1676058aae08e23d52b522a.png

Looking south:

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h35m37s490.png.20b9447c4c111ba94af1010827ea93f4.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h47m11s032.png.b95ccd754c9a95183480d8ca9bd97e0d.png

• Like 3

vor 25 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Here is St. Francis Hospital with the parking lot (on Allison Island in Miami Beach), where Crockett & Tubbs give Noogie a box of chocolates in exchange for risking his life.

stfrancis.jpg.93c445fb615edbc6a7ba94f5f72af924.jpg

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h49m03s823.png.e8f9ace7668de4f27704fa248ab1fa49.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h49m21s841.png.3904eaa77abdba52cda1c154a2cd00f1.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h41m26s861.png.f28a4003a1676058aae08e23d52b522a.png

Looking south:

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h35m37s490.png.20b9447c4c111ba94af1010827ea93f4.png

vlcsnap-2024-01-17-22h47m11s032.png.b95ccd754c9a95183480d8ca9bd97e0d.png

When I saw you posted for this episode, I briefly thought you had found the missing bar location and opened the thread with shivering fingers  :p

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

Now that the To Have and To Hold house has been found, may I ask if we have any clue whatsoever on the Jamaican bar? Idk why this one is so intriguing to me. I guess it’s my J-50. :birdie:

But you guys have found some of my other J-50s!! :)

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

vor 25 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Now that the To Have and To Hold house has been found, may I ask if we have any clue whatsoever on the Jamaican bar? Idk why this one is so intriguing to me. I guess it’s my J-50. :birdie:

But you guys have found some of my other J-50s!! :)

No clue, not even on the location call sheet on the day they filmed it (see above). I am at my wits end here. This one we can only get with informants (if Derek is the guy who bought all the Hoelscher boxes for example). 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

No clue, not even on the location call sheet on the day they filmed it (see above). I am at my wits end here. This one we can only get with informants (if Derek is the guy who bought all the Hoelscher boxes for example). 

“Look if you wanna know why don’t you just ask him?” :) 

Indeed we shall in September, if not sooner. 

He has asked me to perform on opening night btw. Not sure how that’s gonna go. :redface:

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2023 at 8:37 AM, Dadrian said:

I think it's probably a set they created for the episode.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They filmed this car drive where Crockett and Tubbs listen to the tape at the same stretch like in the pilot, the NCR sign is clearly seen in the background and NCR was at 2915 Biscayne Bvd (building still stands but NCR has moved out).

Watching the drive they started around 3300 block of Biscayne driving southbound (there were some blocks with hardly any buildings) and crossed the NCR sign at one point. The arches we seen briefly AFTER the U-turn at 1751 Biscayne (Les Violins Club) were NOT the same as in the pilot. 

I am searching for the unsolved Rockhouse Club (Meeting with Desmond) site and they could have filmed it near the drive location, as this was filmed the same evening after the dive bar and the rockhouse club scenes.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-23 um 12.18.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-23 um 12.19.18.png

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-23 um 15.04.45.png

• Like 3