Public Enemies

sredd

Looks interesting?I haven't seen the trailers yet at the theatres and this one did not work as I don't use quicktime?Oh well I'll catch up with it later.I do like Depp as a charachter actor though..............

• 2 months later...

I'm definately seeing this one as soon as it comes out. Not just a Michael Mann film but one that has a fine actor like Christian Bale in it. You can see some behind the scenes photos on MM's fanpage on Facebook...http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Michael-Mann/10940300333?ref=mfBit of Vice trivia, James Russo (who played Frank Sacco in "The Prodigal Son") is also in this film. Also John Ortiz, who played Jose Yero in the Miami Vice film is in this.

Don't forget "Speedo" from C.S.I Almost Miami. Too bad Dennis Farina and Bruce McGill are not in it.

Just watched trailer. Looks awesome! Stephen "Manhunter" Lang is in it also.

• 1 month later...

I saw it a couple of nights ago and loved it!Depp was fantastic and the story line was well represented (not screwed up from fact, as many that use dramatic licence) Well done Mr. Mann!!!It showed Purvis's character as flawed as well, which in truth was the case, as some innocent civillians died at his hand during the capture attempts of dillinger in reality.Wonderful film and I highly recommend it.

Planning on seeing it next week The photography and night work looks awesome. Remember how you couldn't watch mark Harmon after "The Deliberate Stranger" without thinking HE was Ted Bundy? I think it will be the same with Depp and Dillinger.Add the music and acting...maybe Mann will finally get that Oscar! Plus the Fedoras are cool. Found a neat website that tells how they "design " hats for movies like this. Search baron hats. Also did Indiana Jones, Seabiscuit, and Muholland falls.

• Administrators

I want to see this one. I went to the mall and the theater was sold out! :evil:

• Administrators

I think it already is a hit. The mall I went to has twenty theaters. All of the shows were sold out when I went.

• Administrators

I guess that is where it pays to buy your Fandango tickets on line before you go. Never did that before. Never really had too.

I'm going to see it tonight! Finally! My daughter's friend is 19 y/o. He said it was the best movie he had ever seen. Details, no spoilers, even though we know what happens) later.

Michael Mann still the master of night time shootouts! Stephen (Freddie Lounds) Lang makes a fierce looking cop! One of those I will have to buy the DVD and watch more than once.Loved it overall.:)

• Administrators

Michael Mann still the master of night time shootouts! Stephen (Freddie Lounds) Lang makes a fierce looking cop! One of those I will have to buy the DVD and watch more than once.Loved it overall.:)

Directors have a habit of using the same actors in a lot of their movies. Michael Mann has done so with Lang all the way back to "Band Of The Hand"Band Of The HandThis movie is a who's who of Vice actors, check it out! Mann didn't direct it, but he was executive producer.

I have only seen him in Manhunter and Crime Story. I didn't realize he had such a range as an actor. After playing the wimpy Freddy Lounds, its hard to believe he is the fierce, hardened agent in Public Enemies. Will have to watch more of his movies. Since Dillenger died at such an early age of 31, I guess Mann couldn't use a lot of his favorites as they would be too old for most of the parts.Too bad they couldn't work Dennis Farina in there somewhere with that Chicago accent of his.

I was looking at the list of actors in Band of the Hand. Gotta buy that one, worth it just for all the Vice extras.Even "lightening" Jim Zubiena is in that one.

• 5 months later...
  • Administrators

Just bought the DVD with a gift card I had.Gotta tell ya, I was severely disappointed!!!I'm sure it would have been a great movie if they filmed more than a dozen scenes in the friggin LIGHT.How can anyone make a movie that is more than 90% in the dark? I know that is the cheap way out for film makers as they don't have to spend money on background scenery but the audience is forced into getting eye strain sitting there for two hours trying to see what's going on in the dark.The over use of darkness is just as bad as action films that speed up the action scenes so fast you can't see what is going on. IE. opening scene of Quantum of Solace comes to mind right now.When I watch a movie, I want to be able to see it!I expected more on this one from Mann. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I'm sure it would have been a great movie if they filmed more than a dozen scenes in the friggin LIGHT.

My take on this is that it's Michael Mann and his "Film Noir" obsession. This goes right back to "Thief" in 1981, during which most of the film seems to take place at night. Another example is "Collateral", where the film begins at sunset and ends at sunrise (perfect for Mann). Even with the Miami Vice film, Mann even managed to get the daytime shots to look dark.The film did manage to stay loyal to the truth from what I could see, apart from Dillinger's love interest, which from what I can gather did not exist. I can't imagine Dillinger being the romantic type anyway to be honest. The only bizarre thing I thought about the film was how he managed to wander into a police station, and get away with hanging around there for quite some time, when at the time he was a notoriously wanted man?