Public Enemies

sredd

I got Public Enemies on DVD around Christmas time.I liked the film, I didn't expect much from it as I learned to expect pretty much anything from any film made past 1989, I already saw a terrific Dillinger film with Warren Oates as Dillinger and Ben Johnson as Melvin Purvis which was made back in the 70's and thought that one would just overshadow this film, I was wrong on some levels.The authenticity of the film is one of the strong points, using some of the actual locations from the real incident was a great decision on Mann's part, Johnny Depp's performance blows Warren Oates off the road into the bargain bin ditch, Depp looks a lot like Dillinger at times. Christian Bale is suprisingly good as Purvis, I thought that was going to be a disaster casting him as Purvis but he did a fine and authentic performance, although Ben Johnson still owns the role in my eyes. The use of shadows didn't bother me and the acting was far better than the 2006 Miami Vice film's read-the-lines-I-want-booze-fest of an acting job.I can't say it's a masterpiece, Mann's directorial masterpiece in my opinion was Heat which is one of the best films of the 90's, too bad after that he went on and started this whole documentary-feeling sludgepodge, this film has a little of that but not as bad as it was in his Miami Vice film, in the end it's basically it's what The Departed is to Scorsese's work, in the mist of the director's crazy obsession with something (Scorsese - Leonardo DiCaprio, Mann - Documentary-style films) comes a good film that I probably won't watch again except with my parents and intervals on TV.

• Administrators

Bought it and brought it to work on New Years Eve. I managed to see about half of it so far.A co-worker of mine has read several books on Dillinger and he was really disappointed at the inaccuracies in the film. The biggest one he claims is the depiction of Melvin Purvis. In real life Purvis was more or less a wimp and never shot Pretty Boy Floyd. The film makes him look like a badass. There was also a scene where Dillinger hit or punched someone in anger and he said that was also not accurate. Dillinger was not a physically violent man.I will watch the rest but I have to say aside from the scenery, the clothing and the old cars, so far I'm not impressed.

Mann's work is always better when he only produces or directs, and lets someone else do the writing. He gets bogged down in too many details. I don't think Winstead's (Stephen Lang) character was real, Dillenger died slightly different than portrayed in the movie...although I am a fan of Lang's.

• Administrators
Bought it and brought it to work on New Years Eve. I managed to see about half of it so far.A co-worker of mine has read several books on Dillinger and he was really disappointed at the inaccuracies in the film. The biggest one he claims is the depiction of Melvin Purvis. In real life Purvis was more or less a wimp and never shot Pretty Boy Floyd. The film makes him look like a badass. There was also a scene where Dillinger hit or punched someone in anger and he said that was also not accurate. Dillinger was not a physically violent man.I will watch the rest but I have to say aside from the scenery' date=' the clothing and the old cars, so far I'm not impressed.[/quote']Wish I would have known you were going to buy it, I would have gave you mine for free. I'd have paid the shipping too! ;)I just can't stand that it is all in the dark. :evil:

One of my main beefs with MV 2006 is that it was too dark! I like the Miami sunshine & pastels! Michael Mann should make a vampire movie.....plenty of darkness. :p

Michael Mann should make a vampire movie.....plenty of darkness. :p

Colin Farrell William L. Peterson Al PacinoA Michael Mann filmVampire ViceI like the idea!:clap:

Which ones the vampire?:D

Colin Farrell plays a brutal drug-dealing vampire, William L. Peterson plays a vice squad lieutenant on the ever of his retirement who is slightly skeptic of the whole vampire idea until he partners up with vampire expert Al Pacino, they hit the streets of Miami at night in search of the vampire in a sportscar armed with high-tech weaponry, Al spouts lots of Confucious-esque knowledge in between shoot-outs and drug busts.