Your favourite song in Vice of all time?

Detective_Crockett

23 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

Mine is by Lindsey Buckingham ... Go Insane

Great song! Great scene! Welcome to a great site! :thumbsup:

Great thread! As mentioned already, I must go with "The Order of Death" by Public Image Limited and "Cry" by Godley & Creme. Not only standalone amazing tracks but the way there were utilized with the plot and action sequence of their respective episodes is outstanding.

I will make it a personal top three by adding "Brothers In Arms" from Out Where The Buses Don't Run.

• Like 4

"Brothers in Arms" has to be my #1, but "Holding Back the Years" by Simply Red, "Mercy" by Steve Jones, and "The Last Unbroken Heart" by Patti LaBelle and Bill Campion are irretrievably tied to favorite episodes of the show for me.

But there are so many good ones, it's really hard to choose.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, jenny said:

My favorite song is Boat Party by Jan Hammer

It reminds me of my Miami vacation, and I like the vibe too!

Jan Hammer - Boat Party (Miami Vice).m4a

If you like the vibe of that song, you probably like this one, too:

Released only four years prior to Season 1 of Miami Vice, this great Steely Dan track has lyrics that suggest relaxing in the evening in a seaside environment, and most notably, the drum track by the legendary Bernard Purdie is one of the most iconic of all time--"The Purdie Shuffle". I've often thought Jan Hammer (being a drummer himself) had to be tipping his cap to this track a little, if even subconsciously. :thumbsup::radio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for this but I think my favorite may be from season 4. After Sonny argues with his wife, he goes for a drive to take in the scenery. The song that plays is called "The Madness of it All" by The Ward Brothers. It's probably the only "Vice" scene in all of Season 4. For whatever reason, this scene really hits me and I find myself rewatching it on youtube every few months. I just love the idea of going out for a late night drive with no destination ("Destination no one knows" is one of the lyrics) and being alone with your thoughts. I used to do that every night after work, as I clocked out at 11:30 pm every night.

That 15-20 minute drive almost alone on the highway while listening to vaporwave music is the only thing I miss about that near year and a half I was stuck on that shift.

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

"Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits was my favourite song of all-time before I even watched the show, so that wins by default. The fact it's featured in one of the most amazing music sequences from the entire series only gets it bonus points!

Number one LOVE the Original Theme.  Whenever I hear it, (mostly cause I’m playing it but occasionally it gets played on Sirius XM 80’s on 8), it just puts me right there in the mood.  Into the memories.  Into that Vice Groove.  Second, third, etc. favorite Hammer tracks are “Rain,”, “Crockett’s Theme,” the medley with “Evan” and “Chase,” “Payback”, and “Candy.”

Other than Hammer, “Bad Attitude” by Honeymoon Suite.  “Yesterday’s hero’s with no room to roam.”  (How I feel sometimes in retirement...)   

Followed by “Voices” and “In the Night” buy Russ Ballard, then “Lives in the Balance” by Jackson Browne.  Also “In the Air Tonight” and “ “Brother’s in Arms.”  

=
Damn impossible to pick just one.  Just like picking ONE favorite episode.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 10:51 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

I had to take my wife to Las Vegas for an appointment yesterday and when we reached the city my favorite In the Air Tonight started playing on the classic rock station.  Memories :D

Just great - great to hear.:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Top 10 for me:

Southern Law Enforcement Fix 

When Irish Eyes Are Crying (the 6 minute guitar theme)

Candy

Hit & Run / Bought And Paid For / Hit List

McCarthy

Last Resort

Better Living Through Chemistry

Desiree Motel / Looking For Linus Oliver

''Bell Theme'' from Death And The Lady

Stone's Theme

• 2 weeks later...

great thread. even if paradoxal, definitely great ^^. i can't give only 1 track. i'm sorry, but it's impossible ^^

- Mercy - Steve Jones

- Jan Hammer - Black mercedes

- Jan Hammer -  rain

- Red rider - Lunatic fringe

honorable mention:

- Public image Ltd - The order of death

out of competition:

- Jan Hammer - Original theme

- Phil Collins - In the air tonight

Edited by jpm1

10 hours ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

Assault and Battery-Howard Jones

And how Lionel ritchies All night long scores the Calderone scene

I wish there was a mix of Lionel Richie’s original recording that starts like it does in that scene (snare drum, straight to horns). Very catchy and enjoyable). 

• Like 1

Jan hammer music--the version of Crockett's theme from Child's Play that was never released in any form (so I'm guessing it'd hold up as my favorite Hammer music) although the music from El Viejo (Texas Ranger in particular) works great.

Outside artists-- tough one, but I like 30,000 Feet by Broken Homes if your talking about just the song and I really like the action sequence in Rising Sun of Death that used Si Senor the Hairy Grill by Yello.

But I think the best answer for music and its use in the show would have to be Cry from the end of Definitely Miami (assuming we're leaving In the Air Tonight out because it would be the obvious winner in such a competition). 

Still, I'm not sure there's a wrong answer here. So many to choose from. Few movies or TV  shows ever managed to come close to Vice's use of music and action to propel the story. 

• Like 1

When the category is best music pick then 30,000 feet is my number one as well. Not only the song selection by Fred Lyle is great but also (or even the THE reason why it worked so well) the music editing by Jerry Cohen.

I do music cutting myself for films but even with today’s software it is hard to recreate what Cohen did in Feb 87 on an analog 35mm tape copy with that song. 

He managed to turn a roughly 30 second instrumental bridge between two verses of the song into a long instrumental loop during the dialogues on screen between Crockett, Tubbs, Christine before cutting to the final yell „it‘s a long way .... dooooooown“ exactly when the financial whiz takes the plunge.

I tried to recreate that exact cut scheme once with Professional editing software and it took me two days to get to the same result as the cut-in and cut-out of the bridge is hard to keep in sync with the rhythm and the timing on screen at the same time. No clue how Cohen did this back then without it.

just listen to the original album version of the song and compare it with the MV version than you‘ll know what I mean.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom said:

When the category is best music pick then 30,000 feet is my number one as well. Not only the song selection by Fred Lyle is great but also (or even the THE reason why it worked so well) the music editing by Jerry Cohen.

I do music cutting myself for films but even with today’s software it is hard to recreate what Cohen did in Feb 87 on an analog 35mm tape copy with that song. 

He managed to turn a roughly 30 second instrumental bridge between two verses of the song into a long instrumental loop during the dialogues on screen between Crockett, Tubbs, Christine before cutting to the final yell „it‘s a long way .... dooooooown“ exactly when the financial whiz takes the plunge.

I tried to recreate that exact cut scheme once with Professional editing software and it took me two days to get to the same result as the cut-in and cut-out of the bridge is hard to keep in sync with the rhythm and the timing on screen at the same time. No clue how Cohen did this back then without it.

just listen to the original album version of the song and compare it with the MV version than you‘ll know what I mean.

Wish I could...I had the original tape (bought it back in '87 after an exhaustive search) but now can't find any Broken Home songs anywhere. That album wasn't bad--there was another song named "I'll be Wearing Blue" that would've worked well in a Vice, too. Dadrian hooked me up with an MP3 of 30,000 Feet, but I'd love to find that album on itunes some day (or anywhere for that matter). Regardless, you're absolutely right--the music (as well as the long single take) for that opening scene of By Hooker By Crook was rather impressive in more ways than one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rubber Miro by Liquid Liquid, Windswept by Bryan Ferry, White Stuff by Fashion, You Only Left You Picture by Fashion as well, Voices by Russ Ballard.

Edited by RedDragon86

• 2 weeks later...